lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Disney buys Lucasfilm - Good or Bad
Good 18 20.69%
Let's wait and see 47 54.02%
Bad 10 11.49%
Yoda 12 13.79%
Voters: 87. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: BREAKING:Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII slated for 2015
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-31-2012, 07:11 PM   #121
Bob Saget
Rookie

At first my reaction was that this is gonna be horrible, but after thinking about it a while, this may not be too bad.

Why? After the yuzhaan vong war, everything EU sucked ass after that. I don't even care for the legacy comics.

This may be good, because I would say to hell with canon after Yuuzhan vong war, the whole set up of EU post that era is just horrid.

However, if Disney does plan on messing with the Kotor Era, I ask that they tread lightly
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 08:14 PM   #122
igyman
Tension!

Current Game: MGR Revengeance (PC)
Forum Veteran Helpful! Contest winner - Fan Fiction 
I honestly have no idea what to think of all this. On one hand, I would like another SW trilogy and a new Jedi Knight game (and a new KoTOR game, while I'm at it), but on the other hand, I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of a new SW movie "every two to three years".

As for this announced Episode VII, I'd like to see what they have planned - I'd be interested in seeing the Thrawn trilogy adapted, but that would most certainly require a recast of all the characters we know and love. I guess the alternative is to go further into the future (since it's Ep. 7, after all) and perhaps adapt some of the later books, where old actors could be used, or adapt the Star Wars Legacy comic book, which has a completely new cast of characters. Then again, since it's apparently going to be an original story, they might just pick a timeframe and a set of characters and make something new. A trilogy with Kyle Katarn, or one of the other side characters as the protagonist, might be interesting to watch.

igyman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 08:15 PM   #123
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter View Post
Yeah, please ignore canon.
I have no idea why SW-people adore canon so much as to even tell people not to play KOTOR2 as male or KOTOR1 as female. Seriously, what the ****?

I only think this can make things better, as present LA and LF aren't exacly "good", so maybe this give them the much needed chance to improve...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post

I still get people telling me off on my YouTube videos every now-and-then for playing the games wrong. Then I tell them off for having such a narrow mind and do it in such a way so they're offended by my response. I continue to play with them for a bit by provoking them where they really defend their view and then I really insult their narrow view and how the KOTOR are role playing games and how I should be able to make whatever choices I want to make and insult them really badly and block them from being able to respond just at the right point where they are really frustrated with me. Fun stuff!
Thank you to both of you

Dak Drexl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 08:32 PM   #124
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Current Game: Skyrim
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Since when Mark Hamill said that he didn't like Star Wars? The only "bad" thing I heard from him regarding Star Wars was something along the lines of "I like ice cream too, but I don't eat it four times a day."
Yeah from everything I've seen and heard from him he is happy about the role he played and is a real geek that likes that sort of thing.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 09:12 PM   #125
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
No matter what happens to Star Wars and everything else related to LucasFilm... at least this happened: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...as-will-384947

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 09:30 PM   #126
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
No matter what happens to Star Wars and everything else related to LucasFilm... at least this happened: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/new...as-will-384947
The 501st posted a link on Facebook, and my respect for him jumped a bit.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 10:03 PM   #127
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: GTA V
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
True. So very true.

Also, Disney has a special department that handles Star Wars scripts submitted by fans. It's called the garbage bin.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 10:09 PM   #128
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

OMG, I just thought of something...

Chewie might now still be alive!

Old 10-31-2012, 10:13 PM   #129
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
OMG, I just thought of something...

Chewie might now still be alive!
Do we have a new star? Maybe Episode VII will be a follow up to the Christmas Special!

Old 10-31-2012, 11:21 PM   #130
kyrie
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post

I still get people telling me off on my YouTube videos every now-and-then for playing the games wrong. Then I tell them off for having such a narrow mind and do it in such a way so they're offended by my response. I continue to play with them for a bit by provoking them where they really defend their view and then I really insult their narrow view and how the KOTOR are role playing games and how I should be able to make whatever choices I want to make and insult them really badly and block them from being able to respond just at the right point where they are really frustrated with me. Fun stuff!
I agree Shem why not play a character that is a complete opposite of your true nature it's fun to play as a dark side female
Quote:
Originally Posted by Church101 View Post
However, if Disney does plan on messing with the Kotor Era, I ask that they tread lightly
They could do a great job with that era showing the start of the Jedi Civil War
and going thru the First Jedi Purge dark period that Chris Nolan could do a damn good job with imho.
Quote:
Originally Posted by igyman View Post
I honestly have no idea what to think of all this. On one hand, I would like another SW trilogy and a new Jedi Knight game (and a new KoTOR game, while I'm at it), but on the other hand, I'm not too thrilled at the prospect of a new SW movie "every two to three years".
It would be quite easy to do that. Film for about a year and spend another year, year and a half maybe in post preduction, look at the Batman Trilogy that Chris Nolan did. That's my 2 cents.
kyrie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-31-2012, 11:34 PM   #131
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hallucination View Post
50-year-old Mark Hamill will be reprising his role of a 20-something Mark Hamill acting Luke Skywalker. You heard it here first.
EPISODE VII
A NEW HIP

View page
YouTube Video

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 12:09 AM   #132
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrie View Post
They could do a great job with that era showing the start of the Jedi Civil War
and going thru the First Jedi Purge dark period that Chris Nolan could do a damn good job with imho.
I have no doubts that Nolan could do a good job, my skepticism is their handling of it, if they simply mess it up too much.

However, I will not mind if they ignore TOR and bring Revan back to his original glory
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 12:31 AM   #133
Rtas Vadum
Behold The Envoy...

Current Game: TES 4: Oblivion/3: Morrowind
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrie View Post
I agree Shem why not play a character that is a complete opposite of your true nature it's fun to play as a dark side female
Canon? Pfff. DS Female is the default way I play both games.

As for the main point, well, I honestly felt a bit worried at the start, though it has somewhat eased a bit. My only hope is that their focus won't be entirely kids. I just hope whatever they do, they take it seriously.

Rtas Vadum is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 06:51 AM   #134
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

The original and prequal where done in 3 years jumps.
3 year between IV and V. 3 year between V and VI. 3 years between I and II, 3 years between II and III...
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 09:22 AM   #135
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

I'm glad to see that the marjority of the responses have been the wait and see to positive variety. Can it be that LF isn't all cynical fanboys?

Old 11-01-2012, 09:54 AM   #136
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I don't like it... despite what people think of Lucas and his treatment of Star Wars over the last few years, I always liked the fact that LucasFilm was independent.

That said, I'm willing to wait and see despite what I feel.

Old 11-01-2012, 10:34 AM   #137
kyrie
Rookie

Quote:
I'm glad to see that the marjority of the responses have been the wait and see to positive variety. Can it be that LF isn't all cynical fanboys?
I am a very cynical b@st@rd, the only part I don't like is the fact that the U.S. is losing another privately owned film studio.
Quote:
I don't like it... despite what people think of Lucas and his treatment of Star Wars over the last few years, I always liked the fact that LucasFilm was independent.

I agree fully Lynk, we need another Teddy Roosevelt as president and do some monopoly busting.
Old 11-01-2012, 11:02 AM   #138
Prime
Super Dimension Fortress

Quote:
Overall I have been a Lucas apologist I think. I think overall he has done good things. But I do think this turn of events opens the door to things that would have been out of the question before.

Old 11-01-2012, 11:33 AM   #139
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
I still think It's bizarre how he was willing to relinquish his leash like that... seeing how hard he fought for creative control back when he made the original Star Wars.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 12:10 PM   #140
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Overall I have been a Lucas apologist I think. I think overall he has done good things. But I do think this turn of events opens the door to things that would have been out of the question before.
He did something right, 4 billion dollars worth of right. Have to give him credit for that even if I didn't like all his choices.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 12:22 PM   #141
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

Quote:

This accurately represents my own opinion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
I still think It's bizarre how he was willing to relinquish his leash like that... seeing how hard he fought for creative control back when he made the original Star Wars.
I think he was tired of it. ~40 years of creating and maintaining an empire seems to have taken its toll on him, and he wants to be free of its responsibilities. At least that's the feeling I get from his comments and demeanour about this deal.

He also said that he wanted Star Wars to live past him, and that he wanted to hand the reigns over to his chosen successor while he was around. And, yeah, while I don't like it, Disney is probably the best place Star Wars could be for it to be taken into the future.

His decision to donate most of the profits from the deal toward charity has earned him a fair bit of respect in my eyes. ~4 billion dollars, given away. What is that, like, half his net worth? Amazing. Well done, George.

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 04:27 PM   #142
Trench
Guy with Monocle

Current Game: DX:HR, iKotOR
LF Jester 
Twi'lek Disney Princess.

Trench is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 04:36 PM   #143
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: GTA V
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I'll just leave this here. A foreboding warning.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 06:16 PM   #144
Alexrd

Current Game: Dragon Ball Z: Budokai 3 HD
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Why do so many people mistake Lucasfilm with LucasArts?

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 07:37 PM   #145
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan
ANTA BAKAAA?!

View page
YouTube Video

mfw I read the Revan novel

it is not a cry of joy.
JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 08:23 PM   #146
Dak Drexl

Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JesusIsGonnaOwnSatan View Post
View page
YouTube Video

What? I enjoyed it...

Old 11-01-2012, 08:49 PM   #147
kyrie
Rookie

OMG that was too funny
Old 11-01-2012, 11:20 PM   #148
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
So now that Disney owns Star Wars, does that make Princess Leia a Disney Princess now?

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 11:48 PM   #149
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Why do so many people mistake Lucasfilm with LucasArts?
Because one is a division of the other. Whilst they may be separate entities legally speaking, it's not like LA has ever been completely independent and free to do what it wishes. Thus they are functionally one and the same, as far as broad decisions go (i.e. canon, marketing focus, etc.).
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-01-2012, 11:49 PM   #150
Sithspecter
Mod Longer, Forum Less

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 12:15 AM   #151
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I'm just gonna wait and see and hope that whatever comes out of it is no worse, and preferably better, than the prequels. Also hope that NJO is ignored. Never really cared for it. If they gotta go with any of the novels down the road.....Thrawn. If they wanted to do live action stuff, the X-Wing series was pretty good.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 05:35 AM   #152
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Because one is a division of the other. Whilst they may be separate entities legally speaking, it's not like LA has ever been completely independent and free to do what it wishes. Thus they are functionally one and the same, as far as broad decisions go (i.e. canon, marketing focus, etc.).
I'm not arguing that. It's just that many people say LucasArts when referring to Lucasfilm.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:21 AM   #153
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Is it "you people" or "my people" or "THOSE people"?

Old 11-02-2012, 10:43 AM   #154
mattig89ch

Quote:
Amen to that.

I'm a little concerned that they aren't going to approach the force with the same careful curiosity that LA has. But then again, I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.

Quote:
528) ... and you make her do it half naked, in undies only. o.O ... and you extend this to your female boss
583 - Your female boss agrees
530) Your boss thinks you nuts for trying to wield a lightsaber
mattig89ch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 10:59 AM   #155
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattig89ch View Post
Amen to that.

I'm a little concerned that they aren't going to approach the force with the same careful curiosity that LA has. But then again, I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.
What "careful curiosity"? Unless you're referring to the mystique that surrounded it in the OT, there's no careful approach to the Force. Ever since the prequels, the Force has been shrouded in a dull, monochromatic veil. Very few have tried to show any shades between the black and white, but they generally go unnoticed or are ridiculed for other reasons.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 11:28 AM   #156
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Quote:
But then again, I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.
We're trusting the suits now?

... :\

Old 11-02-2012, 12:10 PM   #157
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
only that Lucas isn't done with it. He's still creative consultant for all the films.
adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 12:48 PM   #158
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
I'm glad Lucas is finally done with the franchise, and some business savy people are going to be taking over.
$4 billion dollars....Figure tells me that Lucas was pretty business savvy himself.

I am for Lucas being a consultant as long as that doesn't include dialogue writer.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-02-2012, 01:42 PM   #159
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by beanlord56 View Post
Ever since the prequels, the Force has been shrouded in a dull, monochromatic veil.
Has it? I didn't notice that.

Old 11-02-2012, 02:38 PM   #160
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

It's really funny.

*Star Wars released*
SW-fans: Yay!
George: Let me just change this.
SW-fans: Greedo shot first!
George: Have some prequel movies
SW-fans: OMG! So horrible! We hate you. You kill my childhood
George: Let me alter the DVDs and Blurays
SW-fans: Someone get George away from our Star Wars
*George sells SW to Disney*
SW-fans: NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooo, not George. We need him for Star Wars!

Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > BREAKING:Disney buys Lucasfilm for $4b, Episode VII slated for 2015

Tags
disney, ermahgerd, lucasfilm, mayans were right