lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: What does the Republican party do?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-10-2012, 11:22 AM   #41
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
http://amarillo.com/opinion/opinion-...s-can-still-be

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2012, 04:19 PM   #42
Qui-Gon Glenn
Necessary Roughneck

Current Game: ME3MP, Arkham Origins
Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Forum Veteran Veteran Modder 
Wearing magic underwear won't help their cause, methinks.

I have been away a long time, but I am pretty sure I played ME3MP with TOTENK0PF last night (?) and saw his post here, so I had to contribute a mindless add-on.

@OP: I would consider changing my voting allegiance were the GOP to implement your points. My Dad's head would also exploded that day, so it would be bittersweet.

Want to play a game of ME3MP?
Qui-Gon_Glenn on the software of which we shall not name.... add me and the enemy shall fall in chunks of crimson salsa
Qui-Gon Glenn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2012, 12:33 AM   #43
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
No offense to him(or you), but he's wrong. There comes a point when certain arguments are no longer in favor with the general public. For instance he says most women are against abortion, but the truth is that while someone may be against something it doesn't mean they are for the banning of it.

He talks about how the majority of the public feels the government does interfere too much... Well getting involved in people's sex lives goes even further. Bothering people about what they want to do with their own body goes too far(drugs for instance).

I was talking with my girlfriend today, and she's further to the right than I am, and even she agrees that we need to drop the war on drugs. Granted that was when I pointed out that it was capitalism in itself. While I don't do any drugs(I'm actually allergic to weed), I understand that much like cigarettes and alcohol, people will want to pay for their drugs. We should provide education and ways to get clean, but by no means force one type of business to underground.

We can still follow our core platform of smaller government. I think it's pretty important. We just need to expand what we mean by smaller government. People don't want the government telling them what to do with their bodies, or who they can or cannot marry.

Oh and The Doctor:
Quote:
There has yet to be a sensible, non-religious argument for outright banning abortion.
I disagree. You may not have heard it, but I believe there have been a few. Not the least of which is that it is simply the expansion of the laws against murder, since the DNA is that of a human, distinctly divergent from the parent. The product of conception between sperm and egg of two humans is a new human that should have the same equal treatment as that of a full term human. Much as we do not(or at least should not) discriminate between a person of a different ethnic background we should not discriminate based on age.

But again, my reason for support of legal abortion comes from a purely compassionate source. I would not want a person to be forced to carry a child to term who was raped. In some cases forcing that woman to carry the child(or rather girl as in the cases of children who are raped) can in fact lead to the death of the woman(girl). That in my estimation is unconscionable. But again, purely emotional. Logically, it would still amount to murder of an innocent. But I am willing to take that hit for the sanity of the other victim.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2012, 02:04 AM   #44
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qui-Gon Glenn View Post
I have been away a long time, but I am pretty sure I played ME3MP with TOTENK0PF last night (?) and saw his post here, so I had to contribute a mindless add-on.
Actually, don't do MP anything. Haven't even gotten TOR b/c of that (though w/F2P I might reconsider it in near future).

@TC--Well, as regards the war on drugs, it seems the Libretarians are the only ones I've seen seriously call for an end to that (maybe members of both of the other parties, but not so much the parties themselves). Re abortion, it seemed to me that Krauthammer was mostly allowing for rape/incest (hence the moron comment), but not abortion on demand (statistically 95%+ of all cases). In cases where it comes do to the health of the mother (ie only one party can be saved), it should be up to her. Some mothers have made that sacrifice. As to gay marriage, it should not be decided by judges, but rather by referendum (at the very least it'd likely be legal in the "blue" states in the not too distant future) as has been the case most recently.

War on drugs, though, is kind of tricky. Lots of money interests involved (govt, cartels, prisons, etc..). Don't think much of marijuana use personally, but the jails really shouldn't be full of small time users, there are better ways to handle that. However, should we go the route of legalization for all types of drugs, I say we throw he book at them like we do drunk drivers when they fall afoul of the law and not let their usage be an excuse.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 11-12-2012, 12:51 AM   #45
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
^You should read this.

The war on drugs is complete bull****, as is the "defense of marriage" act.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-12-2012, 04:10 AM   #46
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Actually, Buckley was one of the people I'd had in mind.

Old 11-19-2012, 02:11 AM   #47
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
And the wisest Republican in Congress is retiring.

View page
YouTube Video

There isn't a single point that he makes in this speech that I disagree with. He gets it, which is why there was no chance of his being elected president.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-16-2012, 08:33 PM   #48
Sylthar
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
Following this election I have heard numerous people claim that "Republicans need to do something to woo more Latinos and African Americans to their side."
Yes, because adding a few "insignificant votes" will sway those who do the true voting. Ideally, mass vote determines the Electoral College's vote, but in reality it doesn't. I'm not saying mass vote doesn't have some play in it, but if we went by mass vote, Romney probably would be in office right now.

Quote:
But HOW? African Americans vote Democrat by a VAST majority. Generally above 90%. This in spite of the fact that we DO have quite a few prominent African Americans in the party. Personally I loved Herman Cain for the primary, then the blah blah woof woof about his sexual conduct. Here in AZ we have Vernon Parker, an African American. But he isn't drawing the black vote. No matter what we do, we get called the racist party. I think that's pretty well a lost cause.
I don't quite think it's our younger generation of Republicans (i.e. me and half the other students... or younger workers...) that feel this way. I think it's just that African Americans always play the "Black" card when they're arrested or whatever... it kind of makes our older crowd (which is the majority currently) slightly prejudiced. African Americans see our elders and assume that everyone in our party is like that... it's human nature to lump everyone that claims one set of beliefs to say we're all like that.

Quote:
I honestly think that we really need to take a step back and review our priorities instead. Many people actually agreed with Mitt on fiscal matters, but I think it's the social matters that really turned the tides. Here are the things that I think need to be changed by the Republican Party:
Aye. I will admit that though I didn't like Romney to begin with, I did agree with him on a few issues. Then on almost all of his social issues I said a big hell no. Another thing is Romney was truly a big question mark to me. He did say a bunch of things that contradicted his earlier statements. I realize Obama's did too, but I've seen him in office for the past 4 years, so I know more about him than I truly did about Romney. (Yea, I voted for Obama as a Republican... shocker. )

Quote:
1) DROP THE OVERLY RELIGIOUS! Seriously! Yes, we were founded on Christian Ideals. BUT we are not just a Christian nation. We are especially not a hard core evangelical nation.
I agree and yet I disagree with you on this statement. If the Republicans dropped their religious stance, then that puts them so much closer to being Democratic. That is one of the big things that distinguishes us from our... competitors, I guess you would call them. Does that mean that we have to base our social issues on Christianity? Of course not. We do have other members of other religions. Romney himself is proof of that... though Mormonism is incredibly similar to Christianity to a degree... but I know a bunch of Athiest and Buddist Republicans... in essence, I don't think they should go about saying "Oh Christianity is the best, everyone should be one of us..." and crap, but I do think that religion (any religion) as a whole makes Republicans what we are.

That being said, Democrats aren't exactly religious, but they do have their religions too and some of their beliefs go with the majority of their religion too...

Quote:
2) Support ending the war on drugs! It's a huge financial drain that produces very little if any results. It jails many people who otherwise would be upstanding citizens. It also adds to the unemployed and those who are on the government dole, as a conviction for a drug related offense now has his job options severely limited. It's like Prohibition. All it did was create a new criminal organization.
I have no comment on this.

Quote:
3) ABORTION IS LEGAL, GET OVER IT! Really... this is a losing proposition for Republicans. Support only ensuring that they are safe for the mother. I don't think it should be free, but it should be available.
I'm about as left handed a Republican as you'll find, but I do not agree with this. I believe under certain circumstances if there's a chance that at least one of them will survive, then abortion might be okay, but for the majority I believe that Abortion should be illegal. It is taking an innocent life. From the moment the sperm fertalizes that egg, it stops being an egg, it becomes a human, even if it has not fully formed yet. I see abortion as being equal to murdering a random innocent bystander. Self defense/self preservation of course should factor in, like if the mother will die if she gives birth, ect, I believe she should have that choice... but if someone gets pregnant and has the abortion just because... well she could have at least given birth (to that which she had a part in making, because she was a willing subject) and passed it up for adoption.

Quote:
4) Stop opposing safe sex education. For heaven's sake... You cannot just teach abstinence only. It does not work for everyone. Inform kids that yes, abstinence is the best way to prevent an unwanted pregnancy, but by no means is it the only way. You don't want abortions, but oppose safe sex education? SERIOUSLY???! Education is the best defense. Yes, ideally it should be the parents, but they are not doing their job, so let the schools do it.
All I have to say about this is... AMEN. xD

Quote:
5) Along those lines... Stay out of people's bedrooms. If Adam and Steve want to get married. SO BLOODY WHAT! Let them. I don't want the federal or local governments in my bedroom. Neither do same sex couples.
Hmm. I always hated that biblical analogy. Because, to be honest, God didn't even make Adam and Eve... he made Adam to be a stand alone person... then when he saw that Adam was lonely he created another person from his ribs. He didn't create Adam and Eve equally... he didn't make them at the same time. So really, if you go Bible wise, God made man to be asexual. (And just so we're clear, I'm a Christian... if you find this offensive, you honestly shouldn't... I wasn't attacking Christianity. )

However, I agree. I much liked it when the Military had the don't ask, don't tell policy (however they revoked that and as far as I know, homosexual men and women are no longer allowed to serve, though I could be wrong on that... I haven't really kept up with the military lately)... it would be better for everyone if the entire country was like that.

Sylthar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2012, 01:20 PM   #49
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Religion: I'm not saying drop religion altogether. Just don't base the majority of policy on religion. Don't place it on some stylite as if we must obey Christianity.

War on Drugs: At a minimum stop opposing Medical Marijuana, and even recreational.

Abortion: The problem is not abortion per se, it's the liberal application of it. IF it were really Safe and rare, as it is often touted, many of us wouldn't have a problem with it. But sometimes it's important to have it legal for reasons other than just rape, or the life of the mother. I mean my ex had 4 abortions because her prior boyfriend used pregnancy as a chain to keep her in the house. Besides, I don't want to have women forced to claim rape when the boyfriend breaks up with her after he finds out she's pregnant.

Safe Sex: We agree... nothing to add.

Adam and Eve/Steve: Technically, both Adam and Eve were created together.
Quote:
Originally Posted by King James Bible: Genesis 1:26-31
And God said, Let us make man in our image, after our likeness: and let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over the cattle, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth. So God created man in his own image, in the image of God created he him; male and female created he them. And God blessed them, and God said unto them, Be fruitful, and multiply, and replenish the earth, and subdue it: and have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over every living thing that moveth upon the earth. And God said, Behold, I have given you every herb bearing seed, which is upon the face of all the earth, and every tree, in the which is the fruit of a tree yielding seed; to you it shall be for meat. And to every beast of the earth, and to every fowl of the air, and to every thing that creepeth upon the earth, wherein there is life, I have given every green herb for meat: and it was so. And God saw every thing that he had made, and, behold, it was very good. And the evening and the morning were the sixth day.
Though Genesis 2 kind of contradicts that, as it then talks of making woman of man blah blah... Either way, I'm from a Christian background, but not Christian. Kind of like the nation. I have (mostly) Christian morals, but not tied to the Christian religion.

DADT: the repeal of Don't Ask, Don't Tell was coupled with the military no longer caring about the answer to the question. If you're gay and admit it, there is no retribution from the military.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2012, 04:13 PM   #50
Sylthar
Rookie

War on Drugs: Aye, my great aunt had cancer an she smoke medical majiuana and it made the pain disappear according to my grandma. I agree for medicinal reasons it should be allowed...

Aye, I was basing it off of Genesis 2. But that's the Bible for you. Just like everything else, it contradicts itself. Honestly though, I'm not a 100% Bible devout follower. It was written by man for man. I realize they were Prophets, but that doesn't necessarily mean that everyone wrote what the did because of God. I mean for one there are a bunch of people who wrote more books of the Bible, but man dictated what went in the Bible.

Ah I was unaware of that regarding DADT. I'm glad that's the fact.

Sylthar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Hot Topics > What does the Republican party do?