lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Missing Files from KOTOR 1
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-27-2012, 10:00 PM   #1
Box
Lurker

Missing Files from KOTOR 1

This is a mystery that has befuddled me for years now.

Back in 2006/2007, I got a used version of KOTOR for the Xbox. I played through the game many times always as light side and always using the same player head. That is the third black male head or the bald guy who kinda looks like Mace Windu.

Eventually, the game didn't work any more since it kept getting stuck at Taris. So I got a new version of the game for the Xbox again.

Now here's where it gets interesting.

Everyone knows that in KOTOR when you play on the dark side your player head changes to show the corruption, but when I played the game on the Xbox for the first time, I also noticed that the player head changes for the light side as well. After around 10-15 light side points, his eyes would sort of be more open and bright and his skin was a bit lighter I believe. And after around 30 or so light side points, the icon background would change from yellow to blue.

Now lot's of people on the internet say that there are only changes to the player head for getting dark side points. And the thing is, the second version of the game I bought after the first one broke didn't have any visual changes for the light side.

But I'm absolutely positive that for at least one character model, there were light side visual changes. I played that game so many times before it broke, and each time it happened.

But here's the weirdest thing of all. A week ago I got the PC version to play the game again. I picked my favorite player head, but I discovered that the light side changes weren't working again. I figure if it's not working I can fix it just by finding the light side texture and replacing it with the normal head.

So I get Kotor Tool and go looking for the texture, but it's totally missing. And the more I search on the internet for some sort of clue as to where these missing textures (and icons) could be, the more evidence I find that they simply don't exist.

So it's like what the hell. What happened to the files? Were they in an old Xbox release and then removed for the PC version? That doesn't seem to make any sense. I guess it's possible that the eye thing was done by modifying the eyelids of the model so it wouldn't really be a texture, but even then the blue icon should still exist.

I'd really like to find out what happened here. Does anyone else know what I'm talking about? Of course I'd like to find these files so I could finally fix my game, but at this point I'd settle for just knowing that they do actually exist and that I'm not the only one who has experienced this.

tl;dr
When I first played KOTOR on the Xbox, the player head changed for light side choices as well as dark side choices. Now that I have the PC version, it doesn't work and I can't find the files that were used in the Xbox version anywherei. Wtf?
Box is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Missing Files from KOTOR 1