lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Star Trek Into Darkness
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-07-2012, 09:04 AM   #1
mr_dad
Rookie

Star Trek Into Darkness

I don't know if there is another thread for this but, HOLY CRAP, A NEW TEASER TRAILER!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zn_0Z-dEWes

(If there is an already existing thread, just lock this and let me know.)

mr_dad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2012, 10:17 AM   #2
The Doctor
Retired

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
The Japanese version of the trailer includes a few seconds of extra footage at the end that are definitely worth seeing.

Definitely one I'll be seeing in theatres.
The Doctor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2012, 11:15 AM   #3
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor View Post
a few seconds of extra footage
Needs of the many?
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2012, 01:11 PM   #4
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
MOAR LENS FLARE!

Waitaminute. Damon Lindelof helped write this? Ruh-roh.

Expect lots of plot holes, dead ends and characters doing stupid stuff for no particular reason, along with a lot of weirdness and emotion that imitate depth, all specifically designed to distract the viewer from the fact that Damon Lindelof is a literary con-artist who doesn't really know WTF he's doing. In short, expect a plot that builds suspense by asking all sorts of intriguing questions and then leaves almost all of them unanswered.

I really wish that people would stop hiring that hack.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2012, 02:04 PM   #5
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
MOAR LENS FLARE!

Waitaminute. Damon Lindelof helped write this? Ruh-roh.

Expect lots of plot holes, dead ends and characters doing stupid stuff for no particular reason, along with a lot of weirdness and emotion that imitate depth, all specifically designed to distract the viewer from the fact that Damon Lindelof is a literary con-artist who doesn't really know WTF he's doing. In short, expect a plot that builds suspense by asking all sorts of intriguing questions and then leaves almost all of them unanswered.

I really wish that people would stop hiring that hack.
Great, Prometheus all over again. I'm quite excited about the movie, but not a fan of Lindelof either.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2012, 03:02 PM   #6
mr_dad
Rookie

While speculation is fine, I find it very ANOYING, when people make assumptions about movies that they have not seen or haven't been released. Besides, not only is he not the only writer, but the script isn't the only thing that causes a film to be good. Directing, Writing, and Acting are the main things that must be done well in a film.

Old 12-07-2012, 05:49 PM   #7
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Star Trek movies generally have too much action and not enough trekking anyway... It's more like Star Wars Trek... with the explosions and the lensflares and the KHAAAAAAAAN....

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2012, 02:58 PM   #8
mr_dad
Rookie

New Trailer. It still looks good.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWosnK4HrBU

Old 12-17-2012, 03:20 PM   #9
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
My small Star Trek experience comes from watching a few episodes of TNG, and I can say that both this and the previous movie are only Star Trek in the title.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2012, 06:42 PM   #10
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
My small Star Trek experience comes from watching a few episodes of TNG, and I can say that both this and the previous movie are only Star Trek in the title.
not because of the characters Kirk, Spock, and Bones from the original series? Not from the U.S.S. Enterprise that resembles the original series? Not various other descriptions that fit that time?

Right.
Bob Saget is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-17-2012, 09:20 PM   #11
Q
The one who knocks

For starters, the original Trek was more cerebral than Abrams' version, and dealt a lot more with the human condition.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 12-17-2012, 09:56 PM   #12
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
For starters, the original Trek was more cerebral than Abrams' version, and dealt a lot more with the human condition.
We've seen one movie, I doubt that much of a judgement call can be made to differentiate both. We have yet to actually see how this plot develops.
Old 12-17-2012, 10:18 PM   #13
Q
The one who knocks

True.

I actually enjoyed the first movie and am looking forward to this one, despite Lindelof's involvement.

-Toker
Old 12-18-2012, 03:00 AM   #14
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
I'm hopeful that's it's true to what Star Trek is meant to be... but I also know that this is meant to be a Hollywood blockbuster movie, and that means catering to the lowest common denominator... the action movie fan.

If they have managed to craft a movie that caters to both the action fans and the Star Trek fans who are craving for that old Star Trek goodness... excellent.

Let's see if they have.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-18-2012, 06:34 AM   #15
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
My point exactly.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2013, 02:54 PM   #16
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Thread necromancy here, but...

I say this as a massive fan of The Original Series, so I am biased, but the film sucked. Big time. There was no suspense at all, and it was filled with questionable plot choices and excruciating dialogue.

However...

Show spoiler

Last edited by Astor; 05-15-2013 at 03:03 PM.
Astor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-15-2013, 08:16 PM   #17
Taak Farst
Eat The Rude

Alderaan News Holopics contributor Forum Veteran 
I MIGHT see it, purely because Benedict Sexybatch is in it, but that's a pure maybe.

I haven't seen ANY Star Trek episode/film/thing. Not even the reboot/prequel from a couple years ago, that this is the sequel to.

Taak Farst is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2013, 08:17 PM   #18
Dread Advocate

Current Game: Magic the Gathering
I just got back from seeing it, and it was freaking amazing! Less shaky camera, less lens flare, no noticeable Lindelof (to me, at least), awesome character interaction and development. Any haters, have fun hating.
Dread Advocate is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-18-2013, 08:33 PM   #19
Bob Saget
Rookie

I saw it today and was thoroughly impressed. What the man above said squared. People hate on this because it's not true to Star Trek's original vision, I call BS. I'm a fan of the original star trek and still like this. It's a new generation, considering how it's an alternate timeline from the mainstream Star Trek, I say we have a great movie here.

Cumberbatch was so awesome as Khan, and there were plenty of nods to the original star trek here as well as amusements.

I will say the plot was rushed a bit but overall this movie is the best Star trek movie out there. Great acting, great characters, great action, etc.

9.6/10

This gives me hope that the new Star Wars movies will be great.

***SPOILER ALERT***

Show spoiler

Last edited by Bob Saget; 05-18-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:38 AM   #20
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
Other than the rushed ending and (SPOILERS) the complete disregard of the fact that the Federation had a quasi-legal military branch trying to start a war with the Klingons, I really enjoyed it. Lindelof was a little much for me, but I could feel the other two writers really getting in there are writing great dialogue, which the actors embodied really well. I agree with the hidden part of the above post.

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2013, 07:03 AM   #21
Vindikorr
Rookie

Current Game: TOR
I still need to go and see it, but from what I've heard it is definitely worth seeing.

I agree people saying it's not true Star Trek is stupid. Going by the 2009 reboot at least, I thought that was brilliant, the new ones seem to show a different side of Star Trek that isn't shown in the originals, and while I'm not sure I'd like an entire series revolving around the reboot characters, the odd few films are definitely a fresh change from the originals.

My WIP: The Liberation of Manaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalbiscuit
Can tell it's been a busy day, 121 Chrome tabs open
28.04428% on the geek test

Bile Beans keep you healthy, bright-eyed and slim
Vindikorr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-19-2013, 08:25 AM   #22
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Allow me to clarify - I don't hate it because it's a reboot - I loved the 2009 film, and I went into that one ready to hate it. I think the reboot has great potential, and there's a lot to like.

My problems are with the plot. I just don't see the need to retread old stories.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:54 PM   #23
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
My problems are with the plot. I just don't see the need to retread old stories.
You're forgetting that this is an alternate timeline where the stories and events proceed differently. I.E. This movie, if you've seen it. Having a new Star Trek series around the reboot would be interesting since:

1. Vulcans are an endangered species
2. Star Fleet is more militarized thanks to Nero's attack
3. Technology is slightly more advanced
4. The characters have evolved differently that the TOS characters

I'd think that the reboot has done fine in setting in a path that has some resemblance of TOS, but not enough to make it almost similar.
Old 05-19-2013, 01:23 PM   #24
Astor
It's Thornhill!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Saget View Post
You're forgetting that this is an alternate timeline where the stories and events proceed differently. I.E. This movie, if you've seen it.
No, I'm not forgetting anything, and I don't need to be reminded that it's an alternate timeline.

There were parts of the plot I liked, and parts I didn't - the overall idea of bringing the character back I'm fine with. But again, I don't like the way they went about it.

For instance -

Show spoiler

Also, 'Kronos' is spelt with a 'Q'.

Old 05-19-2013, 01:40 PM   #25
Bob Saget
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astor View Post
Show spoiler
Show spoiler

Quote:
Show spoiler

Show spoiler

Quote:
Show spoiler
I think that was before he realized he was being chased, a trenchcoat makes a good cover
Old 05-21-2013, 01:03 AM   #26
Q
The one who knocks

Lazy writing? Damon Lindelof.

People really need to stop hiring him. He's the kiss of death.

-Toker
Old 05-30-2013, 06:19 PM   #27
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I had a lot of fun watching the new movie. That's the main difference between this alternate timeline and TOS: now it is pure fun, excitement & adventure with just a hint of deeper intellectual thought. TOS had many moments of fun and joy, but Roddenberry seemed to me to be more interested in thoughtful topics portrayed through a sci-fi lens.

After my wife and I got home, we just had to watch more Star Trek (the 2009 reboot and some TOS Blu-ray episodes).

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -

Last edited by redrob41; 05-31-2013 at 11:16 AM. Reason: misspelled his name.
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-31-2013, 05:13 AM   #28
Vindikorr
Rookie

Current Game: TOR
Went to see it yesterday. Suffice to say it did not disappoint.

My WIP: The Liberation of Manaan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totalbiscuit
Can tell it's been a busy day, 121 Chrome tabs open
28.04428% on the geek test

Bile Beans keep you healthy, bright-eyed and slim
Vindikorr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > Star Trek Into Darkness