lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Got the expansion? Post your first impressions!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-13-2006, 03:17 PM   #41
TearsOfIsha
Rookie

I bought FoC from Play.com for £12.99, which is about $25. I wish hadn't now, at least not as early as I did. Viva la patch!
TearsOfIsha is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2006, 05:18 PM   #42
Desann01
Lurker

Bugs aside it's an okay game. I agree with the aforementioned length of the campaign mode, the second things look as though they are just starting to begin, it's suddenly over.

I was really hoping there would be new campaign storyís for the Empire and Rebellion as well - centred around the building of the Death Star 2 for example, sadly not though.

While it's fun spreading corruption with the Consortium, it's bloody annoying when your playing as the Empire or Rebels and it happens to you, every 2 seconds one of your buildings gets destroyed

The Executor was my biggest let down, It slows up your fleet way too much, and by the time you can get it anywhere near the action, the battle is over, because your TIES have destroyed everything. Also as everyone says, Darth Vaderís voice sounds ridiculous. I was also hoping for more control over the Death Star as well, but it's basically the same system as EaW, just with the added bonus that you can fire on ships with a special ability.

Not bad, but you got an impression of laziness on the part of the designers, and there really should have been more in it. I know technically it's just an add-on, but it is charged at the price of a stand-alone game.
Desann01 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-23-2006, 08:05 PM   #43
mrsparkle

I've had it since it was released, but my first impressions were that the ZC were totally overpowered (laughably so, and confirmed numerous times when trying to play against them online), the campaign was too quick, there was a conspicuous lack of campaigns for the rebels or empire (there should have been campaigns based around the 2nd death star ala ROTJ for both factions), and there was STILL no Lando Calrissian or Leia...it's just not Star Wars without Lando and Leia!

And being a bit of a purist I thought FOC was based way too much on expanded universe stuff. That's to be expected though. It's just that to me it was too much...I especially disliked the nightsisters who used lightsaber whips and rode rancors around. Wtf is that all about?

Let me put it this way: When I got FOC I completed the campaign and a few GC games with a fleet of just starvipers (with 3 skiprays thrown in just to allow bombing runs), and land forces of mostly canderous tanks and MALs (in the campaign I couldn't use the tanks so I used pulse cannons instead). So what that the land forces cost a ton? The ZC make 10x more money than the rebels and empire combined!

I was also bothered by the scale of the death star II vs planets and ships. It looks tiny compared to ships and gigantic compared to planets. I know how it's impossible to make everything to scale, but still.
mrsparkle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2006, 10:10 AM   #44
Kobliha(cz)
Lurker

[QUOTE=HerbieZ]Great stuff, finished the campaign yesterday but [SPOILER] Does anyone know what the end was all about, all i get was Silri stealing the holocron and walking into a big cavern full of Dark Trooper phase 1's encased in carbonite then it ended.

these troops in carbonite arent darktroopers, they look like sith troops from kotor ( knights of the old republic ) and perhaps they truly are because urai said that artefakt ( which lead to cave ) is 4000 years old and before 4000 years there was war betwen sith empire an old republic...
Kobliha(cz) is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2006, 12:41 PM   #45
Desann01
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsparkle

And being a bit of a purist I thought FOC was based way too much on expanded universe stuff. That's to be expected though. It's just that to me it was too much...I especially disliked the nightsisters who used lightsaber whips and rode rancors around. Wtf is that all about?
The Nightsisters were from an expended universe book, one I havenít read as yet, so I can't really comment on how realistic they were.

I do agree with you actually, they would be better off taking more from the movies and less from imagination/expanded universe. Personally I think it would have made more sense for the ZC to actually be the Black Sun - at least it fits in with cannon more, as opposed to just making something up, completely.

I didn't mind Thrawn been in it, as his trilogy are one of the few SW's expanded universe storyís I have enjoyed, Along with Shadows of the Empire - and despite the fact, he now looks and sounds like a weedy Trade Federation guy, it was nice to see Prince Xizor making an appearance in FoC. But the majority of SW's books, are either boring as hell, extremely poorly written or both - and I find it very hard to take them serious.
Old 12-26-2006, 12:09 AM   #46
magna mandaloe
Rookie

Yea I was Upset that they Did'nt include lando I mean it always fun using lando and hearing his silly Jokes and Tactics and instead made a Weak ass luke and Rouge Squadron I mean COME ON .

Yes Those are Sith Troopers at the End and might be a Seceret Army or those Assassin things. Waiting for a Sith To Free Them.

*Changed cause I did'nt like old much*
magna mandaloe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2006, 05:46 AM   #47
TheMichal
Rookie

much better than base EaW. Most important is that the ships and ground units can move faster and game have more fun

TheMichal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2006, 01:06 PM   #48
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magna mandaloe
Yea I was Upset that they Did'nt include lando I mean it always fun using lando and hearing his silly Jokes and Tactics and instead made a Weak ass luke and Rouge Squadron I mean COME ON .

Yes Those are Sith Troopers at the End and might be a Seceret Army or those Assassin things. Waiting for a Sith To Free Them.
For some reason I think the ending event is somehow tied to Darth Krayt.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2006, 01:18 PM   #49
magna mandaloe
Rookie

It would be wierd if he was some 4,000 year Old Sith that would be scary

*Changed cause I did'nt like old much*
magna mandaloe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-26-2006, 11:28 PM   #50
Desann01
Lurker

I really do think this is all wishfull thinking they don't sound like sith troopers to me
Old 12-27-2006, 02:29 AM   #51
Grey_Ghost
Rookie

My first game trying it out as Rebels vs Empire (land skirmish). I build some of those new MDU's. I use 4 of them (2 laser 1 repair 1 shield) and 2 MPTL's to attempt defending my big mine on those Build Pads... A Freaking AT-AA just fires 2 volleys of it's flak (which ignore shields) and every single MDU buildable POPS instantly.

I could live with rockets taking out my MDU's...but FLAK? They don't even have to try and bring in some big guns, or have units breach the shield. Just send a single AT-AA to bypass them, so your other units can mop up.

Long story short, my first impressions were the suck.
Grey_Ghost is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-27-2006, 06:32 AM   #52
YertyL

Wait until you've tried out transports
YertyL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2007, 10:18 AM   #53
Igor_Cavkov
Forumite

i think the campaign was a bit to short tho.. but it was fun while it lasted.
but there must be a sequel to!

the campaign wasnt that challanging for me even on hard i got like 300k in credits never felt threaten.

love the new heroes they were awesome!

SW Galaxies Online name: Cavkov
Server: Chimaera
Profession: Bounty Hunter
Guild: DOS - Dark Order of the Sith

If you only knew the power of the darkside!
Igor_Cavkov is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2007, 07:40 PM   #54
SWRules
Lurker

When I first popped the game into my computer and saw the Main Menu, I was all like " Wow! ".
I tried my first battle, which was in " Heart of The maw " mode.
I noticed that the characters did stuff autimatically.
That was cool!
LOL!
SWRules is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2007, 03:05 AM   #55
Jelani34
Lurker

it was a good game overall but like what alot of people said that i have several things to comment on

1. The campaign was way too easy and short on the consortium end plus. The final battle even though i thought i would have lost a lot of ships. I actualy only lost a crusader and a few fighters and bombers which seemed really sad. but then again i had like 4 keldable ships and 3 of the cap ships not to mention i had several other waiting to be reinforced.
2.Even though each race had there own units and new upgrades and such. I found that the consortium could pretty much overpower the empire. Like here is a good group. maybe 5 or 6 vengeace frigates with 3 crusaders and a few fighters and bombers could takle pretty much any sized fleet. mostly cause the frigates would handle the capital,battle,and other frigates plus corvettes while the crusaders would kill bombers along with fighters and the fighters and bombers would just be there for extra collateral.
3.plus i am not sure but in galactic conquest do the rebels and empire fight each other. like what i mean is since i am consortium. I can sit in defence and let them kill each other. but do they try to take each others planets. that if anybody could answer would be greatly appreciated.

Cornsortium owns :mob

(Consortium fleet commander)

Superior:Urai Fen
Jelani34 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-17-2007, 09:19 PM   #56
Hyprodimus
Rookie

I thought they did the ZC very well. All the units, storyline, abilities, heros and interactions with the Empire and Rebels matches up nicely. I still like space battles more, but playing the ZC on land was great. In space I felt that the ZC was the last piece to the puzzle. Rebels have round ships, Empire has Trianglular vessels and the Consortium has a squarish fleet.

I thouight the sound effects could do much better and the music got very repetitive.....very repetitive.
Hyprodimus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2008, 10:24 PM   #57
Delta 412
Lurker

Unhappy liked it at 1st

it sounded cool when i read the game manual but i could never find out how to get the eclispe
Delta 412 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2008, 10:31 PM   #58
Delta 412
Lurker

Cool Guy

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmperorJello
You can easily get Executor in skirmish by uncommenting a line or two in one of the XML files.

As for my impressions: I've only played GC, but it's excellent so far. Fighters still have an annoying tendancy to be overpowered: if Ackbar's ship can't scratch my SSD, then how do a few Y-wings bust the shields down to half and blow up 4 hardpoints?

But balance is a lot better. The Empire is finally doing what it should be able to do in the last game--steamroll enemies. The Rebels are finally being annoying buzzards and skipping through defenses, and the Consortium is just plain annoying. This is good.

I'm kind of underwhelmed with Executor. She's a gorgeous ship, but the hardpoints are so far apart that she can't really shoot anything. Something needs to be done about the range on that... Thrawn is fabulous, though, and the DSII is beyond compare.

I'm pleased at the voiceacting for Thrawn. The VA in TIE Fighter was subpar and did the voice all wrong, but the Thrawn voice in FoC is passable.

The new landmaps are fantastic. I was impressed when I had Vader waltz up to a ysalamiri tree just to see what would happen, and he got eaten by Vornskyrs. Hah! Whoops, there goes my Super Star Destroyer... but it was hilarious.

I haven't touched the campaign yet, mostly since I just really wanted to play the enhanced Empire. I suppose I should try the campaign, if only to see Eclipse.
DELTA 412 : what u said about the xml files may work for gettin the eclispe in gc games!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Delta 412 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-20-2008, 08:29 PM   #59
The Source
Rest In Peace

Contest winner - Modding 
During the Christmas break, my friend gave me his gold pack version. Even though I got rid of the original game, I did endup trying this out again. I still find "Empire at War" to be too childish in design and concept. "Forces of Curruption" is completely unballanced. If you end up playing against Zann, you will only get your but kicked around the gallaxy. I never got the new DeathStar or Executor. I wanted to make sure that I played all combinations, so I tried the different senerios that were possible. I personally think they should go back to the "Battlegrounds" idea.

If you are looking for a quick Star Wars fix, "Empire at War" will keep you entertained for a short time. After playing the game for twenty minutes, you may endup finding yourself playing another game.

R.I.P. to 'The Source' and 'MacCorp'
2004-2008
The Source is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2008, 06:47 PM   #60
AForestFan
Lurker

Hi everyone,

I've been playing Empire at War for a year now, and have been playing Forces of Corruption for a somewhat shorter time. Here are the bugs I've noticed with FoC, and this is using the latest patch:

* Forces of Corruption seems to have a bug where my fleets will randomly disappear. I will create a massive fleet of varying types of ships, go around the map, and come back to the planet and find it empty. No battles, no notice, nothing. The fleet's just gone.

* I've encountered a variation on this bug when choosing to battle an enemy fleet that the game considers to have "left" the battle when you arrive. All of a sudden, it will say I've lost huge groups of fighters, from when the enemy never even fought! Weird.

* This is an Autoresolve issue: As everyone knows by now, if you destroy an invading space fleet, there will be another battle immediately following, of all the ground assault shuttles that arrive afterwards. If I "play" the battle, I destroy all the shuttles. But if I choose to Autoresolve, those shuttles somehow destroy a few capital ships! That's ridiculous, and I've even seen it with only one enemy shuttle.

* Autoresolve itself is a joke. It in no way reflects reality. I really think it's just a random number generator, although you generally will always lose unless you have a massive pile-on of ships/ground troops.

* Finally, as others have noted, not playing the corrupt side means you'll pretty much lose. The only possible strategy is to never spend a penny ridding worlds of corruption, and just trying to make gains in military battles. You'll go bankrupt curing corruptions, and never have money for even one ship! Playing as the Empire on medium setting, I was shocked to see 6 worlds corrupting at once. That is ridiculous, and shows the computer is cheating, when no player would have that much money at once.

And that's the biggest problem of all with the expansion. Some nice possibilities overall, but when the AI is obviously cheating, you've lost my interest as a player. Too bad, as the game had promise.
AForestFan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2008, 08:50 PM   #61
ReleaseTheTiger
Rookie

Got it for Christmas. I love it! Though I think it could do with some more stuff. I'm practically invincible and cunning when it comes to space battles. But I do my best at ground battles when necessary.

All in all, a great game.
ReleaseTheTiger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2008, 06:50 PM   #62
AForestFan
Lurker

I've been playing "z3r0x's FOC Addon V3" Mod for Forces of Corruption, and it corrects a lot of the expansion's shortcomings.

I use it with Petroglyph's "Mod launcher", what a great inclusion by the company to expand the longevity of their product!

Mods make this series live on.
AForestFan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-26-2008, 08:47 PM   #63
timster0
Rookie

It is great! Though I'd like Thrawns ship to be the Chimera.

><>TimSteR<><
timster0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-21-2012, 03:11 PM   #64
battle111
Forumite

Current Game: SWTOR and LOTRO
Smile good!!!!!

AU MAN !!!! forces of coruption is truly AMAZING !!!! l just passed some of the levels on the galactic conquest by playing the Empire but l didn't yet played the ather sides and forces of coruption is very l meen very impresive!!!!

Who you are light or dark hmm!!!

battle111 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > EaW General Discussion > Forces of Corruption > Got the expansion? Post your first impressions!