lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-19-2012, 03:59 PM   #361
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

The Ultimate Talkie Edition Builder 1.0 is out now. You can find it on its new home here: http://gratissaugen.de/ultimatetalkies/
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2012, 05:01 PM   #362
TheDarthVader
Lurker

Great work LogicDeLuxe, thanks for the nice Builder.
But one question, do we still need a custom ScummVM version? Theres is no mention on your website.
TheDarthVader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-12-2012, 05:36 PM   #363
Jenni
Rookie

Current Game: Monkey Island 4 (ResidualVM)
A custom ScummVM version isn't required anymore. The changes were merged into the ScummVM codebase.

Jenni is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2012, 10:40 AM   #364
Krasas
Rookie

Current Game: Tales of MI
I'm probably a bit late here, but kudos on seeing this project through LogicDeLuxe! And thank you for doing this!
Krasas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2013, 07:08 PM   #365
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

I've been encountering a few problems in both talkies that don't seem to be mentioned at all as far as I can see, and I was hoping you guys could help me out:

Voice hiccups - lines of dialogue don't get time to finish before another one starts; this doesn't happen with every line but when it starts, it happens more frequently after that point. Sometimes one line will just have a pause with no sound and I'll get the end of the line, for example "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" might change to ".....like a cow". Note that I'm playing without subtitles on.

Game specific bugs:
MI1 - After haggling the price of the ship down to the right price with Stan, the option to make an offer of 5000 pieces o'eight is not available.

MI2 - After getting the winning number for the spinning wheel on Phatt Island from the hand in the door puzzle, the option to pick that number is not available.

I'm not sure why this is happening, but any help would be greatly appreciated.
PS: I'm playing both games on ScummVM, not DOSBox.
OzzieMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-21-2013, 11:13 PM   #366
Scummbuddy

I believe that voice hiccups issue with at least the MI1 Talkie Project was "fixed" by setting the dialog/text speed of the in-game options to be very fast.

Scummbuddy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2013, 03:28 AM   #367
LogicDeLuxe
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieMonkey View Post
Voice hiccups - lines of dialogue don't get time to finish before another one starts; this doesn't happen with every line but when it starts, it happens more frequently after that point. Sometimes one line will just have a pause with no sound and I'll get the end of the line, for example "How appropriate, you fight like a cow" might change to ".....like a cow". Note that I'm playing without subtitles on.
Did you try increase or decrease the cycle setting in DOS-Box? If it is too high for your computer, sound issues will usually occur. If it is too low, the game will slow down.
Also check and try different command line options. Type
monkey ?
to get help on those.
Quote:
Game specific bugs:
MI1 - After haggling the price of the ship down to the right price with Stan, the option to make an offer of 5000 pieces o'eight is not available.
This is not a bug, it's a feature. You are playing in "match voice acting"-mode. Switch to "keep original text"-mode.
The 5000 was omitted until your first offer, since that could possibly lead to unvoiced prices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scummbuddy View Post
I believe that voice hiccups issue with at least the MI1 Talkie Project was "fixed" by setting the dialog/text speed of the in-game options to be very fast.
This "fix" works with subtitles turned on only. Keep in mind, that in "keep original text"-mode, some unvoiced lines may pass by very fast then, though.
With subtitles off, this fix was suggested for the original SE, and is only required there.
LogicDeLuxe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2013, 04:15 AM   #368
OzzieMonkey
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by LogicDeLuxe View Post
Did you try increase or decrease the cycle setting in DOS-Box? If it is too high for your computer, sound issues will usually occur. If it is too low, the game will slow down.
Also check and try different command line options. Type
monkey ?
to get help on those.This is not a bug, it's a feature. You are playing in "match voice acting"-mode. Switch to "keep original text"-mode.
The 5000 was omitted until your first offer, since that could possibly lead to unvoiced prices.
This "fix" works with subtitles turned on only. Keep in mind, that in "keep original text"-mode, some unvoiced lines may pass by very fast then, though.
With subtitles off, this fix was suggested for the original SE, and is only required there.
As far as the voice hiccups are concerned, I'm not running the game on DOSBox, I'm using ScummVM, and I'm not all that fluent in DOSBox to test what you suggested. Thanks for the heads up about the text mode though, I knew I'd missed something I'll have a playthrough of both games tomorrow and see how it goes.

On another note, I've noticed that in pretty much every SCUMM game I play, it does pause for a bit like in these 2 talkies, and especially in Curse, I notice this. Half way through a line, the game pauses for just a breif second and then the line continues. The reason I bring this up is because I'm wondering if that is connected to the problems I'm facing here, but that it's worse with the speech for some reason.

Overall, I love that I now have the ability to play the original 2 games with voiceover, and I'm very grateful for that. Thankyou for your help, and for responding so quickly to my questions
OzzieMonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-08-2013, 12:52 PM   #369
imhere
Lurker

Thanks A LOT for this wonderful patch/builder.

I've noticed the monster.sof file is more than twice the size than monster.sou (probably because the VOC format in monster.sou is lower quality than the original WAV). But given that the flac compression is lossless... is there a way to generate a monster.sog (or .so3) from the monster.sof? I would like to keep this as a "master" file and get the other compressed formats (when needed) from there, but it seems the current scummvm tools can only work from monster.sou files.
imhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-15-2013, 08:23 PM   #370
weirdzod
Lurker

Smile

Hello, I have a patch to translate the subtitles into Spanish with English voices.

It was hard work, I would like someone upload this to the official website.

Thank you!
Edit: (fix) https://mega.co.nz/#!ltgWQB7L!YweZWk...sy_HqclyfoYR7g

Edit:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ruo4F4hqRO4

Last edited by weirdzod; 02-16-2013 at 08:53 PM.
weirdzod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #371
weirdzod
Lurker

Any way to get text + voice in DOS versión??

Thanks
weirdzod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Community Discussion Forums > SCUMM > Secret of Monkey Island - CD Talkie Edition Project