lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Computer upgrade advice
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-08-2013, 01:52 PM   #1
.:Lord Revan:.

Current Game: MW3
Computer upgrade advice

Hey guys basically I want to upgrade my computer; I couldn't exactly tell you what I have in it but I do know it isn't fast enough for my taste. I don't really know a lot about putting this stuff together ill probably just buy it and take it in, but I do know when upgrading a computer I need a good power supply system to give me good power. So if you guys shoot me the names of the hardware ill buy it....unless you want to send me the names AND buy it, but whatever
oh and I don't want to spend a CRAZY amount I got the computer for about $1200 and I don't want to spend much more than that.

Thanks!! .:LR:.
.:Lord Revan:. is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2013, 02:02 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Lord Revan:. View Post
I couldn't exactly tell you what I have in it
Run CPU-Z and post a printscreen of the results.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-08-2013, 02:53 PM   #3

Oh good call, thanks!

Um it will only let me post an image via url??
Old 05-09-2013, 07:48 AM   #4
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by .:Lord Revan:. View Post
Oh good call, thanks!

Um it will only let me post an image via url??
Yes, host in on imageshack or something similar.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 05-09-2013, 07:23 PM   #6
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It seems to be a nice rig. What exactly are you planning to upgrade? Is the computer slow or are you trying to play a certain game?

Last edited by Alexrd; 05-10-2013 at 06:39 AM.
Old 05-09-2013, 11:44 PM   #7

Awhile back when I played Ghost Recon: Future Soldier it wouldn't run at all on high graphics. I don't know if that is from the gpu or cpu.
Old 05-10-2013, 06:41 AM   #8
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
It should be able to. Maybe not with everything on 'high', but close enough...

Old 05-10-2013, 12:43 PM   #9

I put it up to 1920x1080 and turned on vsync, antialiasing, and directx 11, but left the detail on objects at medium and it dragged butt lol
Old 05-16-2013, 10:58 PM   #10
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
That 5570 is inadequate for gaming. You'll need at least a 7770 or GTX 650 Ti, both of which can be found for around $100 after mail-in rebate.

Also, dual-core CPUs are obsolete for modern games. You can get a quad-core Phenom II for less than $100 these days.

Replacing those two items would dramatically increase your PC's gaming performance. 4GBs more RAM wouldn't hurt, either.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2013, 03:07 PM   #11

By adding a new graphics card and new cpu, would I have to replace anything else?
Old 05-21-2013, 04:34 PM   #12
Q
The one who knocks

Depends on your power supply. You might not need to replace it since today's video cards don't draw very much juice, but, then again, you might. Post what you've got. Replacing it with an adequate model shouldn't run any more than $40. The video card should be your first priority, as it will provide the biggest performance boost.

EDIT: As far as the CPU is concerned, apparently you're sitting on a Phenom II X4 already. PII X2s are simply X4s with 2 cores disabled. All you have to do is unlock the cores in the BIOS and stress test it. Of course, it's not 100% guaranteed to work, but, if it does, there will be no need to buy a new one, so it's definitely worth a try.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-21-2013 at 06:05 PM.
Old 05-22-2013, 03:20 PM   #13

Awesome what is the easiest way to figure out what power supply I have and.......how do I unlock the other 2 cores???
Old 05-28-2013, 03:19 PM   #14
Q
The one who knocks

It's in the BIOS.

I would suggest downloading your motherboard's manual, thumbing through it and watching this video to familiarize yourself with the BIOS before you attempt anything. The first thing you're going to want to do after that is update your BIOS to the newest version.

As far as determining what PSU model you have, it's as simple as reading the sticker on the housing. You might have to unscrew it from your case and turn it around to see it, though.

-Toker
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Computer upgrade advice