Thread: The Old Republic for Dummies
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-10-2013, 10:38 AM   #881
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
No need anymore! thanks though.

I just figured **** it, I'll do this without my companion so I ended up completing it without her lol. Got promoted to Major today.

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-10-2013, 11:19 AM   #882
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Well, unlike Milt, I forget to offer, but if anyone on The Harbinger gets stuck on something and needs a little help, I am always willing.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2013, 03:10 PM   #883
Eefluxx

So a few questions

As a healer I like using HK51 with me. HK has 2 primary stats in Aim and Cunning. Since molecular stabilizers dropped to like 10k on the gtn I have been buying them up and had my cybertech person build the assassin droid armor for him. However that armor is primarly aim and no cunning.

So my question or questions is/are does his aim and cunning stack together or separate? Should I concentrate on getting everything into aim for him for max dps or is using a combo of the 2 the same?

His original armor I think is all aim but his gun and shiv and implants and ear are all cunning. I have made him a better ear with aim and gave him a 28 aim barrel. He did just fine with me soloing End of Torvix even tho it took forever.

Anyways was just wondering about his 2 primary stats where all other comps have just one.

Another one is M14X or however you spell his name. I made him the mando armor droid set. It is all defense and absorb. The only power he has is from his BH gun I bought him with comms for a tank but he still does 1k damage with it. If I were to aug him should I go with Aim his primary stat or power for more damage or give him some absorb and defense augs?

I haven't tried to solo Chasing the Shadow yet with him but I did use him once as a tank when our group couldn't find a fourth for it.

And for the life of me I can't remember what my other two questions I had were.

Feel Free To Disagree.....Most People Do Anyways
Eefluxx is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-16-2013, 08:40 PM   #884
Char Ell
Force Enlightened

Current Game: The Old Republic
LFN Staff Member Folder extraordinaire Forum Veteran 
I've wondered this myself. When I first picked up HK-51 he had aim-based armor, implants, and earpiece but cunning-based weapon and off-hand. As I recall this was the same with Elara Dorne when she joined my trooper's crew. I'm not sure why BioWare makes it confusing. In the end I decided that since HK-51 is an assassin droid and uses a sniper rifle and vibroknife that he should use cunning-based gear, just like the sniper advanced class for Imperial agent uses. My untested theory is that it doesn't matter all that much. As long as you're equipping characters with tech-power based abilities with aim or cunning and and force-power based characters with strength or willpower then you're generally OK. But I haven't verified this is the case. I can tell you that my HK-51 with all cunning gear puts out plenty of damage.

As for M1-4X and the Mandalorian wardroid gear you can make using Cybertech, there are cores, parts, and motors that have have defense/absorb and shield/absorb. I personally view M1-4X as a mitigation tank more than an avoidance tank so before 2.0 hit I think I had him at 10-15% defense, 35% shield and 33-35% absorption. I haven't used M1-4X since 2.0 though so I expect that his defense, shield, and absorption chance percentages have dropped since M1 still has the same gear he did pre-2.0.

Want to battle against cancer and other chronic diseases? Join Team LFN!

Char Ell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2013, 04:52 AM   #885
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

No gear has 2 stats on them. So finding cunning and aim on a single item wont happen. But from what I know you can apply both. Probably want to balance it out to profit the most (what with diminishing returns).

Anyway, my question;
So, actually decided to reapply my skills. Considering it has an incremental cost per use and as old-school RPG player I have a fundemental objection to respeccing I thought a lot on it, but I really had to learning a bit more post-2.0 about my skills. Also learned that you don't actually have to put 5 skill points in each row, when I put 8 in the lower and 2 in the nex I could suddenly access row 3. Didn't know that before (damn), but now that I did I could avoid some really sucky skills. Like the one giving whirlwind instant Force Breach. I don't think I ever had it on my quickbar after using it 5 times and declaring it sucky, and from what I heard, 2.0 has made it even worse.

Also a power 2.0 ruined was force lift. Pretty useful pre-2.0, I had removed it from my quickbar, so this allowed me to take away skill points away from that doing more damage with the powers I do use. Also was using project a lot before 2.0, but now realised, it's a waste of Force. No more 10% melee damage boost, no more stun-attack giving a powerfull 1-2 combo. It's more points than it's worth, so re-invested those skill points too. In a force-increasing skill, considering I did run out of force point before a lot. Helped mainly by afore-mentioned project, Force in Balance being more costly (not much to do there), and not having a stun-attack anymore and having to waste 40 points doing the same damage with 2 double strikes. Still missing it, being the only power not using Force aside from Wave.

And a lot of people don't like me using wave. But it's the only 'free' power. And I agree it sucks if I wave on the exact same moment a green reticle appears on the ground for a massive assault, but that's more exception than rule. And I always try to push enemies into said green markers with wave if possible. Atleast on bosses it's free damage with no push.

But yeah, now learning a bit of how 2.0 makes powers suck (3 more of my quickbar, it's starting to get empty ) I am not left with a lot. And invested points in them, hopefully getting a bit more powerful and useful.

Now you might wonder, where's the question. Well, during appointing my skill points I noticed "Mind Warp" Before it was just one of the 5 so I didn't mind it much, but learning it could be avoided, I definitely tried applying points to it, and then re-applying them again afterwards learning it did exactly what it said, not more. It states it makes Mind Crush last 1 second longer. The second skill point does 2.

So unmodified it does x-x damage instantly (don't recall) and at that moment did 2030 damage over 6 seconds. Applying one point it did the same x-x damage instantly and still 2030 damage. But now over 7 seconds. 2 points, still 2030 damage over time, this time 8 seconds. I mean... doesn't that make Mind Crush WORSE per invested skill point? Am I missing something here? Or is it seriously the worst skill ever, making a power less potent than more. Is it's function hidden or did BioWare really drop a ball here?
Hassat Hunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2013, 07:57 AM   #886
Eefluxx

Actually my HK's gun and shiv do have two stats on them as they have an aim barrel and cunning mod on them. Tho why a Shiv uses a barrel and not a handle I've never been able to figure out.

As for reapplying skills I always refer to the TWC website and see what they say. They have a lot of intelligent people who have played way more than I have and give reasons why you want certain skill points in certain skills.

I remembered my other questions.

1. I first thought of this during the Gree event and kept forgetting to ask. But if I am flagged pvp and in a group and heal someone outside of my group just to be nice do they get flagged?

I ask this because my group was doing the heroic 4 Primary something or the other where you fight the big robot 3 times and the set of 3 robots 6 times. While we were fighting the big robot another group of 3 people using a very obviously poorly geared comp healer was doing the 3 robot thing and losing badly. So while I was healing my group I would toss the random circle in their direction to heal them as well and they wouldn't get flagged. I was afraid if I actually popped a bubble on them or used a direct heal on a certain member I would flag them pvp and some people get upset when they get flagged by something that is not their fault.

I did whisper the tank after all the battles were over and said I was trying to help out without getting them flagged and he said he noticed and appreciated it and I just made 3 peoples friend list, also said he was impressed no one died from either group and that I was able to toss heals to both groups. Was a proud moment for Synfal my sorc healer.

2. This question is from more recent events. How do you figure out which way to go with the seeker droids?

I get the green ring and solid bar on part of it. I move in the direction of the bar a few feet and drop the droid again and then bar points in a completely different direction. I move that way and get another direction. Then I get a red circle and can't find a green again until I am in a different area. Meanwhile my buddy gets the same thing on his bar is telling him to go in a different direction than mine and we are grouped up. Is there a secret to figuring out how this works? And for whatever reason the triangulation you can take doesn't seem to help out either.

Old 05-17-2013, 09:48 AM   #887
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

TWC?

1) Yes. Isn't the pvp-flagging great? Already had a lot of flak over this, so leaving it at that...
2) Can't help here, since I don't have the expansion
Old 05-17-2013, 09:55 AM   #888
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
www.thewalkingcarpets.com

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2013, 10:17 AM   #889
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
As for the seeker mission: it's pretty clunky, I'll admit. But I had it pretty much down after a while. When you get a green bar, I tend to scan the area in a circle by following the green bar. Get too far, and it'll become red. The bar isn't that precise, so if it shows you to a direction in front of you, it doesn't necessarily mean you need to go straight ahead, you can still go slightly left or right. I don't use the items that are meant to narrow the search since I tend to find what I'm looking for on my own.

There's usually more than one item in the area, which may be why it can show two peopel different directions to go to, I don't know. Blue/purple items are the kind that the seeker droid tends to notice and it keeps telling there is something until someone finds the special item in the area (which I have on multiple occasions).

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #890
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
Looks like they don't a guide for Shadow's with Balance...
Old 05-17-2013, 11:05 AM   #891
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter View Post
Or infiltration for that matter.

Don't believe we have any balance shadows in the guild and the only infiltration shadow is me. As far as operations, my advice for a infiltration shadow is, roll a different dps class. So if I wrote a write up, it would be really short. Still I love the class for solo game play and have refused to respec Leyn'a to a tank, so far.

Old 05-17-2013, 10:20 PM   #892
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hassat Hunter View Post
I'm too lazy to respec and learn a new skill tree and then type a guide up.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-23-2013, 06:31 PM   #893
Miltiades
Death... by Exile

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eefluxx View Post
1. I first thought of this during the Gree event and kept forgetting to ask. But if I am flagged pvp and in a group and heal someone outside of my group just to be nice do they get flagged?
To get back to this: I've been doing Primary Testing the last couple of days and I didn't get flagged for PvP when our group's healer, who was flagged, healed me throughout. I did get flagged at another occasion when I healed a flagged person within my group. This is all within a group, but this shouldn't be any different for doing the same with a person not in the group.

PSN id: BE_Miltiades

Miltiades is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2013, 04:38 PM   #894
Eefluxx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miltiades View Post
To get back to this: I've been doing Primary Testing the last couple of days and I didn't get flagged for PvP when our group's healer, who was flagged, healed me throughout. I did get flagged at another occasion when I healed a flagged person within my group. This is all within a group, but this shouldn't be any different for doing the same with a person not in the group.
Well I have noticed that in groups for heroics or big groups for world bosses and such I can get flagged or flag people, but in FP's it doesn't seem to happen. I don't know for sure about OP's like TFB or S&V or KP and others.

Another question. Before 2.0 I had all the datacrons. Every planet I went to and searched and found them even got the +10 cron. When 2.0 came out I went to Makeb and got those crons. However on Alderaan it all of a sudden says 5 of 7 datacrons found. Are there 2 more datacrons on Alderaan now or is this just a glitch?

Old 05-25-2013, 05:11 PM   #895
Hassat Hunter
Forumite

Just a glitch...
Old 05-30-2013, 10:55 PM   #896
Eefluxx

So another question

I guess this would be for Mav since he did the gunslinger guide on the website.

In the guide you mention there has been talk of going no crit and all power by people even tho you still suggested using crit and gave good reasons for it.

As a gunslinger compared to a sniper would it be better going more power since you are doing more damage per second with 2 guns as opposed to a sniper who takes one shot at a time?

I would think a sniper would benefit from the crit more since he has the one shot at a time on most of his/her shots and the slinger would benefit from more power since he/her is firing multiple shots at a time.

For one shot at time I would think you are hoping it would crit. I don't know if on the slinger if it goes by you fired so this is the damage or if it goes by how many shots actually hit and that does the damage per shot. For instance snipe fires one shot for the sniper but twin fire fires multiple shots for the slinger.

If it is confusing I will try to explain better.

Also you mention going with unlettered mods and enhancements. I know the 28A mods give you more cunning and less power where the unlettered ones give you less cunning and more power. Is it a math thing where the main stat bonus doesn't give you as much oomph as just overall power in that scenario?

Old 05-31-2013, 02:52 AM   #897
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

So first of all as far as Sniper vs. Gunslinger and 1 Gun vs. 2 Guns or 1 Shot vs. Multiple shots, don't let the animations confuse you. The animations are there to be pretty and are essentially just for show, under the hood the combat is still all dice rolls. That being said there is a slight difference, if you had 2 identically geared characters 1 being a Sniper and 1 being a Gunslinger you'd notice their base damages differ even though being identically geared.

A Sniper's base damage may read 1700-2000

While a Gunny may have Primary: 1350-1500; Secondary 350-500

So while technically yes a Gunslinger has both his primary and his secondary weapon dealing damage, it takes both the primary and offhand weapon to total the same damage as the single sniper rifle. Now, the offhand of the Gunslinger has a different accuracy, so yes there will be very marginal differences, but basically in practice the end result is that if both classes are identically geared, then Sniper=Gunslinger.

As to the argument that Gunslingers have 2 sources of damage so are less dependent on crits, again over a given period of time identically geared Snipers and Slingers will produce identical crit rates so it wont matter.

Now going specifically over the argument of Power vs. Crit after patch 2.0, its true that after initial testing most theory crafters were saying, 0 Crit All Power. As more and more practical parses come through though, it became evident that gearing really does depend on what spec or skill tree you choose. Using the Sniper/Slinger as an example, the Marksman/Sharpshooter tree does not have a lot of talents that boost Crit/Surge on certain abilities so those trees benefit more from a Power build, while the Engineering/Saboteur and Lethality/Dirty Fighting trees have a lot of talents with increased Surge and Crit percentages and so they actually parse higher when they sacrifice some Power for Crit in their gear. Keep in mind though that the differences rarely exceed more than 50 DPS and when you're talking about dealing 2650 DPS vs. 2600 DPS it isn't going to be a life or death outcome.

As to the question about lettered vs. unlettered mods there are a couple formulae you'll want to take into account. Basically every 1 point in Mainstat will give you +0.2 Bonus Damage and a very small amount of Crit%; and every 1 point in Power will give you +0.24 Bonus Damage.

So lets look at the unlettered Artful Mod 31

69 Cunning * 1.09 (+9% from skill tree) = 75.21 * .2 Bonus Damage = 15.042
57 Power * .24 Bonus Damage = 13.68
Total Bonus Damage = 28.722

Now the Artful Mod 31A

84 Cunning * 1.09 = 91.56 * .2 = 18.312
32 Power * .24 = 7.68
Total Bonus Damage = 25.992

So again, you're looking at a 2.73 DPS difference.... which is pretty insignificant so it isn't a huge issue if you only have one mod and not the other, but when given the choice, the unlettered mods are just that tiny bit better.

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Old 05-31-2013, 03:58 AM   #898
Eefluxx

thank you for clearing that up for me. I went with all the A lettered mods on all my toons and might rethink that now. Also clearing my one gun vs two guns of damage. I am glad you understood what I was talking about.

So would the same apply to sages and the resolve mods? Would it be better to go with the unlettered? I noticed today that with a stim and the four buffs I had 3152 in willpower. While my heals seem to be great would they get better with unlettered mods? Basically is it the same formula for willpower as it is for cunning I guess?

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #899
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Same formula for all mainstats, also I believe Sage's skill trees only gives a 6% bonus to mainstat so the unletttered mods would be even better for a Sage since there is less of a bonus with mainstat.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:29 PM   #900
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Just going to say what mav and Seijin have beat into my head, unlettered mods are always better. Right now, I have alot of lettered mods on all my 55 toons, but I am working on replacing them as I get the comms and drops to do it.

Old 05-31-2013, 01:34 PM   #901
Eefluxx

Looks like I will be doing the same

Old 06-10-2013, 05:55 PM   #902
Eefluxx

So, when you guys say 110% accuracy do you mean 100% and it winds up being 110% with your bonuses? Or is it 110% and 110%+ with the bonuses? Just curious cause I have almost 100% on my RDPS and a little over 100% on my Sent.

Another I forgot about earlier, the Gunnery commando guide says (done by Jogelav sp?) say 110% accuracy and 600 surge. Not sure how I am susposed to do this. Is this with highest rated gear? I have close to 100 maybe 99.89% or something acc but only 300 surge. No crit rest power like 952 power I think. My ear and implants have accuracy and power and then I used accuracy enhancements to get that high but there doesn't seem to be enough to get surge that high. Just wondering

Also just a gripe why can't you sell the Makeb rep items for credits but you can all the other rep items for Section X, Voss and others for credits?

Last edited by Eefluxx; 06-10-2013 at 07:10 PM.
Old 06-10-2013, 08:25 PM   #903
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
The guide Jolg made is for people doing operations, so yeah, the gear he's talking about in his guides is higher level stuff.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:35 AM   #904
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
So, when you guys say 110% accuracy do you mean 100% and it winds up being 110% with your bonuses? Or is it 110% and 110%+ with the bonuses? Just curious cause I have almost 100% on my RDPS and a little over 100% on my Sent.

Another I forgot about earlier, the Gunnery commando guide says (done by Jogelav sp?) say 110% accuracy and 600 surge. Not sure how I am susposed to do this. Is this with highest rated gear? I have close to 100 maybe 99.89% or something acc but only 300 surge. No crit rest power like 952 power I think. My ear and implants have accuracy and power and then I used accuracy enhancements to get that high but there doesn't seem to be enough to get surge that high. Just wondering

Also just a gripe why can't you sell the Makeb rep items for credits but you can all the other rep items for Section X, Voss and others for credits?
1. There are 2 types of Accuracy, Melee/Ranged and Force/Tech, the base accuracy for Melee/Ranged attacks is 90% and the base accuracy for Force/Tech is 100%. Certain attacks fall under each category, for example in terms of a Commando, Full Auto is a Ranged Attack, and Demolition Round is a Tech attack. Generally speaking most DPS classes will be able to use talent points in a skill tree to get +3% accuracy, you will get +1% accuracy from having max affection with your rDPS companion (I think), so what you are trying to obtain with your gear is +6% accuracy. That will bring your total to +10% accuracy from talents/gear, add that to you base accuracy of 90% and 100% and that is where you are seeing the goals of being 100% and 110%.

2. I don't think Jolg's Commando guide is up-to-date/usable right now, I don't think it was changed with patch 2.0. In the patch in addition to the level cap being increased to 55, the stat weight formulae for the secondary stats were adjusted to account for the greater number of available stat points in upcoming gear tiers. So basically where before maybe you could get to 100% accuracy and then have 600 points left to stick into Surge, that's not the case anymore as now it takes more points to reach 100% in accuracy leaving less points available for Surge. To be honest I'm not sure where he pulled the number 600 from anyway as I don't think that was true prior to patch 2.0 regardless. In reality how much Surge you have doesn't matter, your goal should be to get to 100% accuracy and then all from that point on just begin to stack Surge.

3. I don't know why Makeb rep tokens aren't sellable, they're eating up my inventory space!

Old 06-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #905
Eefluxx

yeh the Makeb stuff is eating up my inventory as well

I think in his guide he did mention the 2.0 curve in DR stats. Also mentions using crit but that he has heard 2 ways of since the 2.0 of some crit and then power and no crit and all power. Also mentioned he would check into this, which I am not too worried about, my commando has all power and does pretty good damage. Was mainly wondering about the acc and surge part.

So when I hit C on my keyboard and my character screen comes up under Acc I want it to say 100% without hovering my mouse over it to see the bonus acc no matter what, and if I have full affection with my comp and anything higher is basically better? But shouldn't worry about putting points into it if it is over 110?

If I am reading this correctly.

Also, finally finished 2 lvl 55 HMFP's as a healer on my Sorc. Discovered my Alacrity of all things isn't where it needs to be. But we did Hammerstation and Mando Raiders. Hammer was the first one and the tank died on the first boss because my purge couldn't cooldown fast enough basically. But I did get him back up quickly and we didn't wipe. The tank we had was great as I hardly had to even touch the 2 dps with us with heals at all.

Mando Raiders we got to the first boss again with the dogs and it was kinda all over the place. The dps did a good job of keeping the dogs away from me for the most part so I wasn't getting knocked around this time. Once again benefited from a great tank who knew how to keep agro from the dps so I only had to heal him.

Only times we wiped were on the bonus boss on both FP's which none of us had ever done before. Took us a couple of tries before we finally got a rythem with both of them.

Did try Athiss as well but the big dog kept getting us. Both Dps wasn't taking care of the adds. Hard for only one of them while the other kept trying to kill the boss. Tank left shortly thereafter as did the other dps.

Last edited by Eefluxx; 06-11-2013 at 11:40 AM.
Old 06-11-2013, 01:14 PM   #906
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mav View Post
2. I don't think Jolg's Commando guide is up-to-date/usable right now, I don't think it was changed with patch 2.0.
It is updated, at least it has the new ability built into it.

Old 06-11-2013, 04:41 PM   #907
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Quote:
So when I hit C on my keyboard and my character screen comes up under Acc I want it to say 100% without hovering my mouse over it to see the bonus acc no matter what, and if I have full affection with my comp and anything higher is basically better? But shouldn't worry about putting points into it if it is over 110?

If I am reading this correctly.

Also, finally finished 2 lvl 55 HMFP's as a healer on my Sorc. Discovered my Alacrity of all things isn't where it needs to be. But we did Hammerstation and Mando Raiders. Hammer was the first one and the tank died on the first boss because my purge couldn't cooldown fast enough basically. But I did get him back up quickly and we didn't wipe. The tank we had was great as I hardly had to even touch the 2 dps with us with heals at all..
Well it doesn't really matter how updated his guide is, it's pretty minimal as is and he hasn't even touched his Commando since leveling it. The point is get accuracy to 100/110, then go Surge. So there is no confusion ever again and so I don't have to answer this ever again :P I made a picture. Also as an FYI to reach that 100/110 on my Gunslinger takes ~400 points in Accuracy, leaving ~300 left to spend on Surge or Alacrity, Alacrity being useless, so again I have no idea where this 600 points in Surge comes from.

Which takes me to my next point, the tank dying because you couldn't Purge fast enough in Hammer Station is not the fault of Alacrity. In fact Alacrity doesn't even affect the cooldown of abilities (unless they have no cooldown because Alacrity affects the GCD). You're mis-timing your Purge, you should only have to purge twice, at 5 stacks of that mining laser debuff each time and you should be healing in-between.

Old 06-12-2013, 11:15 AM   #908
Eefluxx

Okay that picture tells me everything I needed to know about acc. Thank you Mav.

And I thought Alacrity now affected cooldowns but I could have misread that somewhere as well, it may have been the global cooldown I was reading about. It may have been I wasn't casting it fast enough. In any case he was getting stacks quickly and I was constantly having to use it. I wil have to relook at that cause I don't remember if it is an instant cast or not.

Old 06-17-2013, 02:16 PM   #909
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Eefluxx you are most likely doing this, but just in case, assign numerical values to your cooldowns in the UI editor. To me this has made a real difference when cleansing people. I know exactly how long I have and will pump out heals between using purge. This becomes even more important in HM S&V in trash pulls where the tank gets constantly DoTed but the smashers are pulling aggro too, so you are constantly having to heal mdps and cleanse the tank.

Old 08-22-2013, 01:12 PM   #910
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quick question, so if I don't have any toons at level 50 - is there really a reason for me to buy the Expansion set yet? or should I wait until I've leveled at least one?

I'm looking at a new laptop so that means I'll be able to play with somewhat decent video settings again...

Old 08-22-2013, 07:17 PM   #911
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

The Makeb stuff is lv50-55 content... so yeah, you can wait till you reach 50 on a toon to get it.

Old 09-01-2013, 05:21 PM   #912
oldflash
Veteran

Current Game: SWtOR
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The only difference will be the possibility to rise the crew skills above 400 once you get RotHC even if you are lower than level 50.

"If you must sleep on the same bed, at least try to dream different dreams".
oldflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2013, 02:03 AM   #913
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Some questions about tanking in TOR.

As a Consular Shadow in the defense/Kinetic Combat tree, I find it very curious will is the predominant stat while endurance is the least important. (Source Noxxic.)

I'd have thought a damage absorber was supposed to have lots of health and durability?

Also, is this tank build more for single big enemies? Cuz I've tried a heroic 4 mission and kept getting fried against mobs.

Is it better vs ranged or melee?

I also don't have any aggro pullers like taunts yet (Lv 17...actually just turned 18 after the heroic). And it's largely a thankless duty. lolz

I realize tanking is the hardest role in the game but I'm determined to get good at it. So I'm a bit stumped here. Just seems a little counter-intuitive.

I'm more like a stealth DPS meelee and mid ranged. I've been told I won't get any noticeable tanking tricks to use until a bit later. So do I just serve as a stealth/DPS/Tank mix?

Thanks in advance.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-06-2013, 04:12 AM   #914
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

I guess I'm supposed to answer this one...

As a Consular, Willpower is your mainstat, it affects your crit rate and your bonus damage. That being said when playing a tank yes you're going to typically choose armoring mods that are higher in Endurance than in Mainstat. At later levels you also have secondary tanking stats to worry about though, Defense and Absorb. At end-game, typically stacking Endurance over your mitigation stats (Defense/Absorb) is inadvisable.

Shadow Tanks have tools to excel at both tanking single boss enemies, as well as packs of multiple smaller enemies. That being said, of the three tanking advanced classes, Guardian, Vanguard, and Shadow, by selecting to play a Shadow Tank, you've decided to pick the most challenging tank to excel at. As far as getting destroyed during a H4 mission, were you trying to do it solo, cause that'd be a bad idea. However, tanking at lower levels in general is pretty ineffective. While that is true for all the tank classes it is especially true for Shadow Tanks, you wear light armor and get shredded easily early on and you don't get some of your best tanking abilities until your upper 30's or lower 40's in levels.

Honestly, I highly recommend that you level as DPS and learn to Tank when you level cap. Leveling just takes much longer when you're leveling as a Tank and especially with Shadows you don't feel very tanky until much later in the levels.

Anyway, I wrote a guide for Shadow Tanks that is a few months old, but should provide enough of the basics... http://www.thewalkingcarpets.com/for...tanking-primer

Last edited by Mav; 09-06-2013 at 08:40 PM.
Old 09-08-2013, 01:26 AM   #915
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
That certainly explains some things. Since all the mods are kinda bleh for right now I can definitely see why this class specialty would be better set for DPS. I will take a look at the guide for now and future reference.

Ehh no. I was not soloing that H4 (I learned THAT one the hard way earlier on a couple H2s), but I could tell not long after starting in I was being taken out far too easily for a tank. Though it didn't help the healer initially went in ahead, instead of waiting up for all of us to arrive. Since there was another team right there doing it as well, he got out okay.

I digress... I'd go in stealth and send out a force wave or sneak attack one and draw attention. Then the healer would generate threat and force the DPS guardian with us to have to redirect them. We had to shift tactics a bit to succeed, but we did. Essentially resorted to "DPS-gang-banging" single big enemies one by one (which seemed to distract everyone else), walling them off so they couldn't go after the healer, then took out smaller ones after. Worked out well enough I suppose.

TL;DR: No matter what I tried, it just didn't work out for "tanking".

The only stat in the tree I'm a little iffy on mental fortitude, if endurance is ill advisable later on at level cap... The arguments I've gotten is that it might be redundant simply because with everything else that boosts endurance by level cap, you're basically not doing much beyond the point of diminishing marginal returns and that those talent points might be better served elsewhere. *shrug*

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-08-2013, 07:44 AM   #916
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Ehh no. I was not soloing that H4 (I learned THAT one the hard way earlier on a couple H2s), but I could tell not long after starting in I was being taken out far too easily for a tank.
Low level H4 or H2 for that matter are very difficult to solo on any class as your first toon. However, by the time you leveling a 2nd or 3rd toon to 55, they become manageable for certain classes based on you increased presences with legacy, access to credits for gear/crafting for gear from higher toon and your better understanding of game mechanics/ability/rotation.

The same heroics/area quest/flashpoints that tore me up on my first toon, I run through easily on later toons.

I would also agree with Mav, roll dps. Shadow dps was my 2nd toon to 50 and so much easier to level than my first toon that I leveled as a healer. Between stealth and getting a healer companion fairly early it is a very good class for new players. However, dps shadow/tank shadow is terrible right now for end game pve, but it is still my favorite class to level and play. Very fun class to play and very good class to solo H2 and H4, as long as you plan your attacks and use your abilities. Learn to CC and also learn how to not break them or have your companions break them.

Last edited by mimartin; 09-08-2013 at 07:52 AM.
Old 09-09-2013, 01:12 PM   #917
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
The Makeb stuff is lv50-55 content... so yeah, you can wait till you reach 50 on a toon to get it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflash View Post
The only difference will be the possibility to rise the crew skills above 400 once you get RotHC even if you are lower than level 50.
Thanks for the heads up.

I've got another issue now though, I'm trying to add a subscription and all it gives me is a ****ing error code when I'm about to finalize the payment. And on top of that, I noticed they already charged me 7 Swedish Krona for every attempt that I made. Seriously pissed off at this point but I wont waste any more money calling their ****ty customer service.

Old 09-09-2013, 01:29 PM   #918
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

I had to call their customer service once, they were actually great fixed the error in about 5 mins. Had a security key issue.

Old 09-10-2013, 04:40 PM   #919
oldflash
Veteran

Current Game: SWtOR
Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Thanks for the heads up.

I've got another issue now though, I'm trying to add a subscription and all it gives me is a ****ing error code when I'm about to finalize the payment. And on top of that, I noticed they already charged me 7 Swedish Krona for every attempt that I made. Seriously pissed off at this point but I wont waste any more money calling their ****ty customer service.
I got error on card validation but I wasn't charged. I changed the browser and it was working just fine.

"If you must sleep on the same bed, at least try to dream different dreams".
oldflash is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-10-2013, 06:02 PM   #920
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by oldflash View Post
I got error on card validation but I wasn't charged. I changed the browser and it was working just fine.
What browser do you use? I'm on Firefox.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars: The Old Republic MMO Forums > Game Discussion > Tython Temple > The Old Republic for Dummies