I've found a utility called Flawless Widescreen that automatically makes KotOR work at 1366x768 (and presumably any widescreen resolution). (@Q: Is this the utility you mentioned before?)
Here's a description copy/pasted from a post I made in another thread:
This program is awesome. It's made for making games run properly at "super-widescreen resolutions", but It works for 1366x768 as well (and presumable any other widescreen resolution). It has a specially made plugin for KotOR, that automatically makes the game run at your desired resolution, while dynamically creating properly scaled menu backgrounds and HUD item placements. Movies are scaled properly, and most impressively, *dialogue is displayed correctly*. It does all this through memory manipulation, so there's no need to patch the game's exe like with UniWS (this also means that it works fine with the Steam version of the game, i.e. no need for cracks). You don't even need to do any swkotor.ini editing - FWS does it all for you.
So here's how to do it:
tl;dr: Install Flawless Widescreen + KotOR plugin; run KotOR with FWS in the background; change resolution in-game to 1366x768; play.
1. Obtain Flawless Widescreen
2. Extract the archive to its own folder
3. Run the program (confirm Windows UAC)
4. You will be greeted with a splash screen asking if you want to change any settings. You don't need to do this, so click "No" (or click "Yes" if you want to see the settings. But don't change anything in there)
5. In the list found on the left side of the program window, find the entry "Star Wars: KOTOR"; click on it
6. Flawless Widescreen will now download and activate its KotOR plugin.
7. Now, on the information pane on the right, you'll see that FWS requires you to have run the game at least once before using FWS. Make sure you've done that.
8. With FWS running, run KotOR like you normally do.
9. Go into the options and change the screen resolution to the new options of 1366x768
10. You'll see that scaled menu backgrounds have been created, but they're not quite right. Ignore it for now.
11. Load up a saved game/start a new one. Holy Mother of Resolutions! The GUI is perfect! Dialogue works!
12. Close the game and start it again. On my setup, I get an appcrash if I start KotOR too soon after closing it, so wait a few seconds if you have to.
13. The menu backgrounds are properly done now. KotOR is now officially working perfectly @ 1366x768.
Here are some screenshots demonstrating it working:
FWS's developers deserve a medal. They've provided a solution to a problem that's being plaguing laptop KotOR users for years. If I wasn't a broke university student, I'd donate these guys some money right now.
Just found this and thought it might be worth sharing. Confirmed that it will work with TSL ini-hacked to 1280x768 (and look pretty spiffy doing it).
EDIT: for clarity - you don't need the steam version or uniws in order for it to work.
I'd given up hope of ever seeing a mod that would fix TSL's fugly, screen-hogging HUD.
EDIT: Tried it, and, while it looks great, the buttons on the lower left HUD have some serious problems. The icons on the mines and saber/force forms buttons are out of place and the tool tips do not pop up correctly on any of them.
I have no doubt that both of these issues are fixable, and I hope that Alien continues to work on this very worthwhile mod.
"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
1) Open Alien's version of mipc28x6_p.gui with tk102's KGFF tool (do not use GFFEditor. It breaks other parts of gui)
2) Expand Controls and count down 12 entries.
3) Expand and confirm that the Tag (toward the bottom) is LBL_ACTION5
4) Expand EXTENT
5) Change TOP to 559
6) Repeat steps 2-5, counting down 47 entries to modify LBL_ACTION3
7) Save to Override
Note that the description window will still frustrate any attempt to use the down arrow for combat mode action button, but up works fine and I may or may not try to tackle this later.
16 down. LBL_ACTIONDESC. LEFT = 4, TOP = 525, WIDTH = 140. Perfection.
Hey all! Sorry for the necro of this many year old post, but after 5 days of messing around, I am pretty sure a lot of people who end up here trying to fix the game will be really glad for my 2015 update
First of all, like many, I prefer to use 720p resolution on my monitor... I often use TV screens as monitors, connected in HDMI.. and even with a 71inch monitor, 1280x720 gives me the best size ratio...
unfortunately, as many have said, KOTOR refused to be played at 1280x720... so i tried 1080p, 1440x900, and a few others... but none gave me full screen display (my tv giving me only 720p or 1080p), i tried with uniws and 1440x900 was the closest i could get...
I had tried Flawlesswidescreen a few times but always got crashes, or nothing at all... to make it work, you need to remove the 800x600 tga files from the override folder, as well as all the .gui files from that same override folder (step1)... -- when thats done, install flawlesswidescreen, download the kotor module, when it says "waiting for game", just start the game normally, mess around in the menu (go check in graphic options, resolution) see if there are other resolution availlable BESIDE the 4 default ones of 800x600,1024,1280... if there are no other resolution in the menu, simply close the game, wait 10sec, and restart it again... the resolution SHOULD appear in the menu...
Many years ago, i made a 1152x648 custom 720p resolution in my catalyst ati control center... cause some game had issues with 1280x720... well KOTOR works at 1152x648 (real 16x9 resolution way below 1440x900) it looks absolutely GREAT (especially with 16GBs of extra textures in the override folder), and with flawlesswidescreen, even the cutscenes plays at 1152x648 making it TRULY 720p!!!
I cant believe nobody ever reported that this could work on WSGF or here or on steam... especially with the huge humble bundle a few weeks ago!
If anyone need extra help im always availlable to assist just post back here or pm me and i'll try to guide you as best as i can...
I'll be modding and playing the 2nd one after I finish the first so the link is actually quite welcome for myself at the very least!
720p - 1152x648 still works great! im finishing taris now... only downside is that i have to manually go and delete the 800x600 png files every day as well as the .gui files, then reinstall the widescreen patch for kotor (in flawless widescreen), then start the game and exit it at least twice for it to work perfectly... A LOT of hassle... but I achieved what had been said to be impossible on WSGF so i'm quite glad!