lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: *How did Vader get his name?*
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-05-2008, 08:44 AM   #41
hatae55
Rookie
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthDingDong
This is like asking how America became America...

Or how Britain became Britain...

Just sounds cool!

Britain is named for the tribes(Britons)at the time of the Romans

America was named for the explorer who originaly thought America was not Asia (Amerigo Vespucci). A map maker who believed Amerigo was so impressed, he wrote the name on his map.
hatae55 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-04-2008, 04:28 PM   #42
NL_Sudentor
Rookie
 
NL_Sudentor's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Holland
Posts: 97
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Moeller
Well I don't know the official reason for how Palpatine came up with it (if there is one) but I know in, I believe, Dutch, Vader means father. So that's how they got the name.

That is absolutly correct.
I'm dutch, but it certainly doesnt have to do anything with his name.
Not one dutchy worked on the starwars series so it would be weird if it has anything to do with that. (unfortunatly)

But I think that the emperor just thought a moment and then quickly concluded that he wants him to be named as vader.
So he doesn't really takes a while to think about it.
But i must admit i dit relate his name with the dutch word vader. I was 8 years old but it maked sense for me back then that they had it the whole time about darth vader, that actually was the father of luke.

Is vader a word with a certain meaning in english???

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoiuyWired
So, Darth Vader could be translated as "Black Daddy" ??

Hehe yes indeed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Badguy
I don't tink it has anything to do with Dutch. I would like it if he was really called after a Dutch word (I'm Dutch ) but it doesn't make any sense... why would George Lucas read the dictionary of one of the smallest countrys in the world with a Prime-Minister of which George Bush can't even remember his name (Jan Peter Balkenende)? It's more like (In)vader, attacker, leader of the invasion...

I was thinking of my earlier post, Lucas is a backname in dutch!!!
Maybe his ancesters where dutch, maybe he related the fact that darth vader was the father of luke (don't forget that the movies need to be correct against the original trilogy)
Maybe it thought 'vader' sounded good in English


The place where I was raised they didn't gave us names, they gave us numbers!
Mine was.... 47

--------Smoki'n weed everyday-------
NL_Sudentor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-05-2008, 06:32 PM   #43
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,316
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
It comes from Gary Vader, a jock who may have picked on the young Lucas in high school.

Don't believe me?

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com (in the pdf book, page 468)

The "Dark Father" thing is just a coincidence, as the character was not turned into anyone's daddy until he began Empire Strikes Back. Originally it was just the name of various characters, not a "Sith Title" (as it became when he was writing Episode I, nearly 20 years later).


In-universe, how did Palpatine come up with the name? Your guess is as good as mine! I don't believe there is an official explanation...


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-06-2008, 06:24 AM   #44
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith
 
adamqd's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 3,191
Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Good find on the Gary Vader Kurgan!

Agreed, people think that every detail, character, name etc has been fleshed out since 77'. Hell, Darth Vader (David Prowse) didn't know he was Luke's father till opening night lol!

My guess is that in-universe he was named Vader by Palpatine in reference to a Sith word or name, although it could be a play on 'Invader'.


adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2008, 11:16 PM   #45
*Don*
Rookie
 
*Don*'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Compton
Posts: 205
I believe that the "dark father" theory is the correct reason.


"Any fool with a d*ck can make a child, but it takes a real man to raise one..."
- Boyz N The Hood
*Don* is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 12:18 AM   #46
Rev7
I'm a Mage
 
Rev7's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2007
Posts: 3,208
Current Game: CoD 5 WaW; Skate 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan
It comes from Gary Vader, a jock who may have picked on the young Lucas in high school.

Don't believe me?

http://www.secrethistoryofstarwars.com (in the pdf book, page 468)

The "Dark Father" thing is just a coincidence, as the character was not turned into anyone's daddy until he began Empire Strikes Back. Originally it was just the name of various characters, not a "Sith Title" (as it became when he was writing Episode I, nearly 20 years later).


In-universe, how did Palpatine come up with the name? Your guess is as good as mine! I don't believe there is an official explanation...
Wow... I never knew that...

Rev7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-08-2008, 03:38 AM   #47
DeadYorick
The Keeper of Peace
 
DeadYorick's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Canada
Posts: 1,275
Current Game: Pheonix Wright
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rev7
Wow... I never knew that...
Why am I not surprised? George Lucas the person who started a series that jeeks everywhere can devote their life to, based the main antagonist off someone who bullied him.


"There's gotta be a better way to make a living"
-Kyle Katarn
DeadYorick is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-13-2008, 12:15 PM   #48
Doc Valentine
Ha-Ha Kotor Modding
 
Doc Valentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In the eye of the beholder.
Posts: 1,133
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
It's very interesting to see where people get their ideas for certain aspects of their stories. It also kind of gives you that creative power. It would make sense for Lucas to write his main villain after someone who bullied him. After all, many writers create their worlds based mildly off events that have happened in their own lives.


I don't need you no more in this world. I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late.
Doc Valentine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2008, 12:23 AM   #49
PoiuyWired
Unregistered User
 
PoiuyWired's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 3,503
Well, put it this way, as least its not his mean ex girlfriend or something. And thank the force that the old bully have a decent name and not something like Bubba Thomson. Cause Darth Tom is not really a cool name for some arch villian.
PoiuyWired is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-22-2008, 08:32 AM   #50
eugenesheremet
Lurker
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 1
Guys, all of you are wrong. Darth Vader comes from Darr Veter, the name of the hero from Andromeda: A Space-Age Tale.
And it is not because of assonance of the names, but because Andromeda is one of the greatest sci-fi novels in history, that influenced greatly on many succeeding authors.
eugenesheremet is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-24-2008, 11:59 PM   #51
Doc Valentine
Ha-Ha Kotor Modding
 
Doc Valentine's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2003
Location: In the eye of the beholder.
Posts: 1,133
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenesheremet
Guys, all of you are wrong. Darth Vader comes from Darr Veter, the name of the hero from Andromeda: A Space-Age Tale.
And it is not because of assonance of the names, but because Andromeda is one of the greatest sci-fi novels in history, that influenced greatly on many succeeding authors.
Do you have any cited resources that support that theory though?


I don't need you no more in this world. I'll meet you in the next one, and don't be late.
Doc Valentine is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-30-2008, 09:29 AM   #52
Anakin4ever
Lurker
 
Anakin4ever's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 2
He didn't make it upp i had a long time to choos.
Anakin4ever is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-31-2008, 10:18 PM   #53
>General Havok<
Rookie
 
>General Havok<'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Australia
Posts: 38
Who cares where it came from. Its a sweet name.


...................................Dance Party!..................................
:
>General Havok< is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-04-2008, 06:08 AM   #54
Rabish Bini
Sydney Roosters Genius
 
Rabish Bini's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: NSW, Aus
Posts: 2,128
Current Game: KotOR III
Quote:
Originally Posted by eugenesheremet
Guys, all of you are wrong. Darth Vader comes from Darr Veter, the name of the hero from Andromeda: A Space-Age Tale.
And it is not because of assonance of the names, but because Andromeda is one of the greatest sci-fi novels in history, that influenced greatly on many succeeding authors.
So, sign up to post once on something which you probably don't have any resources on.

And I reckon George Lucas just thought it sounded cool.


Yes
Rabish Bini is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2010, 06:54 AM   #55
no_name
Lurker
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 1
Thumbs up

has anyone else come across the fact that 'vader' also means 'brother' in Africaans? perhaps it's that Sidious wanted Anakin to trust him as his brother, although he is obviously his master.
Probably another coincedence, along with the Dutch meaning, but it sounds cool and is LOADED with talking points!
no_name is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2010, 05:41 PM   #56
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,316
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Those are all fun and interesting, but let's face it, Lucas probably had no idea of that and it's just a lucky coincidence.

In the early scripts the Vader character was simply a "grim looking general" in the early scripts. He wasn't a Sith Lord nor did he have the Force and he wasn't the father of the good guy protagonist. It was instead Prince Valorum who had the dark side.

Again it was the name of a high school jock that was the original inspiration.

Considering all the explanations that it came from "Dark Father" and so forth come out after Star Wars became popular, I think those aren't the real reason. Trust me, I'd want it to be true so I could say how visionary Lucas was. But it's not, just like the "Hebrew prophecy on Vader's chestplate" rumor isn't true nor is the "Sun of the Sons in ROTJ SE" rumor.

It's interesting to note that one of the first things that Lucas came up with when creating Star Wars was to generate random names... first names, last names, titles, etc. He mixed them around and matched them for how he thought they sounded. You can see going through the early scripts that he will put a name on a character and then later put it on a totally different character. We only think the name is meaningful now because we've associated it with the black mask, cape and breathing for so long (incidentally, the idea of putting Vader into a breathing mask wasn't even Lucas' idea, it was something artist Ralph McQuarrie came up with after Lucas gave him the task of making some paintings to sell the idea to the studios based on his early script). Since the scene has the Vader character and his goons going through a pocket of vacuum to get to the Rebel ship, he put them all in space helmets. You may remember this painting:

http://www.df.lth.se/~ola/Starwars/S.../starwars2.jpg (click, BIG!)

Notice the hero has a breath mask as well, and Vader has a gun! In the early concepts everybody had a saber. So a lot of concepts changed over the years and it wasn't all due to some grand story that Vader had in the back of his mind, he had a lot of inspirations and lucky things enter the story as it developed.

Let's not forget this one either:
http://www.originalprop.com/blog/wp-...ar-wars-fr.jpg (click, big!)

The original Star Wars was less inspired by mythology than by popular entertainment Lucas loved in his younger days, which was mostly westerns, re-runs of adventure serials, pulp sci fi and space operas, comics, samurai and WWII pictures. The whole "mythology influence" thing came later, and you could say it had an influence on Empire Strikes Back, but the idea that it underpins all of the series is mostly hype.

I mean, every kid knows who "King Arthur" is (and the same was true back in the '70s), even if they've never read the actual legends.

This is a cool site... much of the character of Vader is based on his visual development and Kaminski does it again with a nice thorough article on the subject, with great pictures:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/v...arthvader.html


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-01-2010, 01:04 PM   #57
purifier
Forumite
 
purifier's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: DisneyLand
Posts: 720
LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
This is a cool site... much of the character of Vader is based on his visual development and Kaminski does it again with a nice thorough article on the subject, with great pictures:

http://secrethistoryofstarwars.com/v...arthvader.html
This is great info Kurgan, thanks for offering the link to those of us who didn't know. I really appreciate this one myself, I learned something knew from this link.

I always suspected Doctor Doom had some influence on the development of Sith Lords like Vader, now I know. And at times, from reading the "The Fantastic Four" comics and seeing the movies, I would swear Doctor Doom was really a Sith Lord. Yep, it all makes sense.

Lol! Doctor Doom would make a hellva Sith Lord too, btw.


SITH HAPPENS
purifier is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-21-2010, 10:28 AM   #58
noizer
Rookie
 
noizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff View Post
Well I don't know the official reason for how Palpatine came up with it (if there is one) but I know in, I believe, Dutch, Vader means father. So that's how they got the name.
correct. vader is father in dutch

dont know if the dutch meaning has something to do with darth Vaders name tho. maybe they chose it because it sounds cool ?


.......
noizer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2010, 10:30 AM   #59
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by noizer View Post
correct. vader is father in dutch

dont know if the dutch meaning has something to do with darth Vaders name tho. maybe they chose it because it sounds cool ?
Vader is not father in Dutch. You pronounce Vader as 'VY-DR' right? Dutch for father is VAAH-DR. It only works written down.
Anyhow...brilliant site Kurgan...reading everything at the moment.

I still think every 'Sith' name like Vader has something to do with a menacing word. Pleigus - Plague , Sidious- Insidious , Maul (speaks for itself), Tyrannus - Tyrant. Etc etc.

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2010, 01:22 PM   #60
noizer
Rookie
 
noizer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Holland
Posts: 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ztalker View Post
Vader is not father in Dutch. You pronounce Vader as 'VY-DR' right? Dutch for father is VAAH-DR. It only works written down.
Anyhow...brilliant site Kurgan...reading everything at the moment.

I still think every 'Sith' name like Vader has something to do with a menacing word. Pleigus - Plague , Sidious- Insidious , Maul (speaks for itself), Tyrannus - Tyrant. Etc etc.
yes thats true. it only works written down.


.......
noizer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2010, 06:27 PM   #61
truJedi
Rookie
 
truJedi's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Location: Uranus ....
Posts: 158
Darth VADER ..... INVADER ..palpatine gave him this name because he invaded the jedi
temple, thats what i read somewhere


... I am Jacks Smirking Revenge
truJedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-22-2010, 07:43 PM   #62
Kurgan
Headhunter
 
Kurgan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1997
Location: The Dawn of Time
Posts: 18,316
LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Yep, as cool as all those theories are, it's quite simply Gary Vader, a real human being from Lucas' youth, not "INvader," or Dark Father, etc. Even the "Son of the Suns" and Hebrew words on Vader's chest plate turn out not to be all that on further examination. But we fans like to follow those rabbit trails, don't we?

Those are simply happy coincidences after the fact. I bet if Lucas had used one of the other randomly generated names for the character, we'd likely be sitting here repeating alternate lore about its significance and foretelling of future events in the saga. It's just that "mythical quality" given to the franchise (for better or for worse) and massive popularity that fuels such things.


Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)


"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-23-2010, 05:29 PM   #63
Ztalker
Saving the world casually
 
Ztalker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2005
Location: Normandy SR-2
Posts: 2,780
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
Yep, as cool as all those theories are, it's quite simply Gary Vader, a real human being from Lucas' youth, not "INvader," or Dark Father, etc. Even the "Son of the Suns" and Hebrew words on Vader's chest plate turn out not to be all that on further examination. But we fans like to follow those rabbit trails, don't we?

Those are simply happy coincidences after the fact. I bet if Lucas had used one of the other randomly generated names for the character, we'd likely be sitting here repeating alternate lore about its significance and foretelling of future events in the saga. It's just that "mythical quality" given to the franchise (for better or for worse) and massive popularity that fuels such things.
You're right...it seems so...strange to see some epic pop-culture being named after an actual person without further meaning.
It's not unheard of though...Harry Potter was named after a colleague of the writer. Very un-epic

Ztalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-24-2013, 01:50 PM   #64
PatPal
Lurker
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Posts: 1
I happen to know that Lucas went to Downey High School and so did my brother and I---- Our last name is Vader and George named his characters after people he knew. Ztalker you are correct, Gary Vader went to high school with him.
PatPal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-02-2014, 10:45 AM   #65
john74
Lurker
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 3
Quote:
I read that it's only a personal interpretation so hence it remains a comment - is that "Darth Vader" was originally just a proper name; first name "Darth", surname "Vader". This seems supported by Ben's "only a master of evil, Darth" answer, although one could argue that Ben may have been addressing him by a title (which - to me - seems odd for a Jedi to do to a Sith). – Jimmy Shelter Dec 18 '12 at 9:06
There are persistent rumors that Vader was from "invader".
john74 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > *How did Vader get his name?*

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:27 PM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.