lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Official Hardware Discussion and Advice Megathread
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-13-2011, 12:58 PM   #241
Ferc Kast
Modder

Current Game: SWTOR
Helpful! Forum Veteran Contest winner - Fan Fiction Veteran Modder 
Well, I noticed a good deal on a laptop for about $400. Though, I was wondering with most laptops having either a dual or quad core processor, would a single core processor be worth it to get or would it be better to look at one with a multi-core processor?

Ferc Kast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-13-2011, 11:01 PM   #242
Q
The one who knocks

Current Game: Mowing down neos with my M60
LF Jester Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Since software is finally becoming more multi-threaded, I think that it's pretty pointless to have a single-core CPU in a machine that you'll be using a lot. That's probably why there are so few of them available now.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Q is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2012, 01:58 AM   #243
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Anyone have a NAS here? I've have a htpc up and running now, ubuntu+xbmc samba thru my windows shares but I'd like to have a dedicated storage/media server. I plan on running 4-5 drives, raid1+0, linux etc. I'd like it to be pretty quiet and low powered, just sit around and serve media or accept backups. hot swapping drives would be nice, but not required.

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #244
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
My laptop's motherboard is failing so I've been forced to accelerate my plans for a new gaming computer build. I'm unsure on what processor/motherboard/power supply I should use. Google brings up many options but I trust you people here much more than a google search. Any suggestions?

Note: this is for gaming so I am looking for something good. I have a very nice graphics card picked out already. But I would still like to keep this at a reasonable price.

Thanks in advance!

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-26-2013, 12:15 AM   #245
Q
The one who knocks

Couple of questions:

Do you live near a Micro Center store?

How old is your laptop? Would it be worth buying another motherboard for it? Depending on the model, replacement laptop motherboards can be had for < $100.

"They should rename the team to the Washington Government Sucks. Put Obama on the helmet. Line the entire walls of the stadium with the actual text of the ACA.
Fix their home team score on the board to the debt clock, they can win every game 17,000,000,000,000 to 24. Losing team gets taxed by the IRS 100%, then droned."
-Toker
Old 04-26-2013, 04:48 PM   #246
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Q View Post
Couple of questions:

Do you live near a Micro Center store?

How old is your laptop? Would it be worth buying another motherboard for it? Depending on the model, replacement laptop motherboards can be had for < $100.
Its been replaced once already and the amount of effort required to do so is immense. It took a trained repairman 2 hours. I needed a new computer sooner or later, i was just hoping for another year. I got this laptop in 2009. Its an alienware. The cd drive, the sound card, harddrive and motherboard are all failing.
Don't buy alienwares. They are not worth the hassle.
And no, there isn't one of those stores near me.

Old 04-26-2013, 05:55 PM   #247
Q
The one who knocks

OK, so you probably are better off selling it for parts/repair on ebay and not sinking any more money into it, then.

Some more questions:
What type of video card do you have in mind? If you're still playing/modding KotOR, I'd suggest an Nvidia card.
What resolution will you be gaming at?
What's your budget?

For gaming, you're going to want to go with an Intel CPU. Since you don't live near a Micro Center, an Intel Core i5 3570K CPU and a decent motherboard together are going to run you about $300. 8GB of memory is going to cost another $40-$50.

Seasonic is generally regarded as the best overall power supply manufacturer. They make PSUs for several different companies, and they also sell them under their own brand. You shouldn't need one any bigger than 650W, with 54-55 amps on the 12-volt rail. The mid-grade (80Plus Bronze) ones go for around $60, while the ultra-high-end model (80Plus Platinum) is sometimes on sale for $90. If you want a bullet-proof PSU with a 7-year warranty, I'd go ahead and get the Platinum. It'll likely last you through several builds. If you don't want to shell out that much, there are definitely cheaper alternatives out there that will still serve you well.

-Toker
Old 04-26-2013, 08:05 PM   #248
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
This is the combo i had come up with:

Processor:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16819116504
(as per your recommendation, is this correct?)

Motherboard:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16813131837
(Price saving combo with the processor, ~300$)

Power Supply:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16817153158
(Would this be good? It can be bundled with my shell for around 100$ less than buying them both separate.)

Graphics Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130768

Sound Card:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc..._-NA-_-NA-_-NA

Also on my list is a solid state 256gb for the os and games, and a 2tb storage drive, 16(or 8, depending on final budget)gb of RAM, a CD drive & BluRay drive. I feel like i'm missing something else important too.
I don't really have a set budget, and my current resolution is 720p 1600X900, but i plan on getting a new monitor in the near future. 1080p.

Also i'm unsure of what speed of RAM i should use.

I am unsure if these all will fit together well and also, if i can save any cash that would be good, but i really don't want to lose out on much performance. I'd like this to last without too much upgrades through the next few years as I am starting college soon. And, because i'm a gaming nerd i'd like to be able to run games on highest settings for as long as i can push it.
As for kotor modding, i have a desktop i prefer to do that with.

Currently the price is stiing around 1600$

By the way, thanks so much for helping with this!

EDIT:
I was re-looking at SSD drives and i am unsure of what one i should get. I'm stuck on these:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147193
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...scrollFullInfo
The one is quite a bit more money than the other, but it seems to be higher rated. I'd be open to an entirely different one as well.

EDIT 2:
I'm starting to deem my graphics card, which was nvidia actually, as not worth the price. I'm looking for a card that can support HDMI, 3 monitor support, and powerful enough to last me a while playing the newest game on highest graphics with any enhancement mods for a while.
The card i had been considering was http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130768 but i think that it's not worth the price to what i need it to do. Suggestions? I would like to keep it a nvidia too if possible.

Last edited by Canderis; 04-30-2013 at 08:09 PM. Reason: Changed Power Supply
Old 05-16-2013, 11:33 PM   #249
Q
The one who knocks

Sorry I haven't answered this till now.

You haven't bought anything yet, have you?

If you haven't, and you can wait just a little while longer, Haswell, Intel's new CPU architecture, launches June 4. With an investment this big, it's always best to get the newest stuff that you can, and getting the newest Intel CPU is a big deal. It shouldn't be any more expensive than Ivy Bridge is now.

Motherboard: You pretty much can't go wrong with either ASUS or Gigabyte.

As far as a power supply is concerned, you really should get one that's made by Seasonic. Channel Well (CWT), who makes that Thermaltake, is certainly OK, but Seasonic is better. If you're going to spend $100 on a PSU, do yourself a favor get a Seasonic. 650 watts is plenty. Newegg has the Seasonic 660W 80Plus platinum on sale for $90 every once in a while, and I strongly recommend it. This database will tell you who makes what.

Graphics card: Never buy a high-end graphics card. Not worth it, IMO. Get 2 mid-grade ones and SLI them together. The best ones to do this with are the GTX 660 and the new GTX 650 Ti BOOST. They are the best bang-for-the-buck option, and will save you as much as $200 over a GTX 680 and give similar performance. Just make sure they have at least a 2GB frame buffer per card. 1GB just doesn't cut it anymore. For reference, I'm still gaming on 2 GTX 460s that I bought new for about $62.50 apiece after rebate!

Sound card: Try using your motherboard's on-board sound chip before buying one. Chances are, it'll be good enough.

SSD: The Samsung 840 Pro is the best one on the market right now. It's on sale sometimes for $200, though this is really not a good time to be buying an SSD because prices are high right now.

RAM: At least DDR3 1600. 8GB should be plenty, unless you use software that requires more. Most people don't. Corsair, GSkill and Crucial are my usual go-to brands, though my latest has been Samsung.

EDIT: If you haven't yet, sign up for the Newegg newsletter to get their coupon codes. The AnandTech Bench is also extremely useful in cases such as yours.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-17-2013 at 12:00 AM.
Old 05-20-2013, 06:25 PM   #250
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Ok, so pre-SSD and the motherboard/processor combo (waiting till june 4th) this is what i have:

Power Supply: 140
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...irtualParent=1

RAM: 80
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820148560

Graphics Card: 198+180
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130826
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130910

Hard-drives: 100
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16822148834

CD Drives: 20
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16827135204

Sound Card: 60
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16829132053

I do need the sound card because i have speakers and headphones meant for a 7.1 sound card, unless my motherboard comes with one.

Old 05-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #251
Q
The one who knocks

Here is a great deal on a terrific Seasonic PSU that's good thru tomorrow (5/21). You have to signed up for the Newegg newsletter to be able to use the coupon code on the product page. However, it's got more power than what you'll really need (even with 2 graphics cards), and, if you're willing to wait a bit, chances are that SS-660XP2 will be on sale for the same price before long.

RAM: You should be able to find a good 2x4GB kit for ~$60. Make sure that it doesn't have tall heatsinks, so it won't block the installation of whatever CPU cooler you end up getting.

Graphics card: You can't SLI different models of Nvidia cards; they have to be the same model, with the same sized frame buffer (ie, 2X GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB; 2X GTX 660 2GB). The 2GB 650 Ti BOOST has been as low as $139; the 660 as low as $168. At those prices they're close to the same price/performance ratio, as the 660 is roughly 20% faster than the 650 Ti BOOST. You'll also want to stay away from reference models and get one with an aftermarket cooler with 2 fans because they run cooler and a lot quieter. I would just buy one card for now (plenty for gaming at your present resolution) and buy a second one when you upgrade your monitor.

Platter HDD: Try to avoid buying a Seagate if you can. Stick with Western Digital, Hitachi (HGST) or Toshiba (which are made by Hitachi). WD drives carry a price premium, but you can find good deals on HGST and Toshiba models. Also, Newegg has notoriously inadequate packaging for bare HDDs, resulting in a bad drive, so try to buy one elsewhere unless it's a retail package or just an insanely good deal that's worth the risk.

DVD burner: Just about any brand will do; just don't pay more than $20 for one; there's no need to. I'm partial to the Sony Optiarc, myself.

Even cheap motherboards come with good 7.1 sound now. The best is the Realtek ALC 898 with THX TruStudio, which has a lot of the features of a real sound card. Like I said: Just try the onboard out, and if it's not good enough, buy a sound card.

-Toker

Last edited by Q; 05-21-2013 at 06:30 PM.
Old 05-21-2013, 10:02 PM   #252
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Here is a great deal on a terrific Seasonic PSU that's good thru tomorrow (5/21). You have to signed up for the Newegg newsletter to be able to use the coupon code on the product page. However, it's got more power than what you'll really need (even with 2 graphics cards), and, if you're willing to wait a bit, chances are that SS-660XP2 will be on sale for the same price before long.
RAM: You should be able to find a good 2x4GB kit for ~$60. Make sure that it doesn't have tall heatsinks, so it won't block the installation of whatever CPU cooler you end up getting.
I'll see what's on sale when the time comes to buy!

Quote:
Graphics card: You can't SLI different models of Nvidia cards; they have to be the same model, with the same sized frame buffer (ie, 2X GTX 650 Ti BOOST 2GB; 2X GTX 660 2GB). The 2GB 650 Ti BOOST has been as low as $139; the 660 as low as $168. At those prices they're close to the same price/performance ratio, as the 660 is roughly 20% faster than the 650 Ti BOOST. You'll also want to stay away from reference models and get one with an aftermarket cooler with 2 fans because they run cooler and a lot quieter. I would just buy one card for now (plenty for gaming at your present resolution) and buy a second one when you upgrade your monitor.
Good plan! I've never done anything with 2 cards before so i'm kind of a noob haha.

Quote:
Platter HDD: Try to avoid buying a Seagate if you can. Stick with Western Digital, Hitachi (HGST) or Toshiba (which are made by Hitachi). WD drives carry a price premium, but you can find good deals on HGST and Toshiba models. Also, Newegg has notoriously inadequate packaging for bare HDDs, resulting in a bad drive, so try to buy one elsewhere unless it's a retail package or just an insanely good deal that's worth the risk.
I got around 100$ worth of amazon gift cards so i'll hunt one down there. Any RPM you recommend? I plan to use it as my main drive until i get a SSD

Quote:
DVD burner: Just about any brand will do; just don't pay more than $20 for one; there's no need to. I'm partial to the Sony Optiarc, myself.
I'll stick with that asus one for under 20$$

Quote:
Even cheap motherboards come with good 7.1 sound now. The best is the Realtek ALC 898 with THX TruStudio, which has a lot of the features of a real sound card. Like I said: Just try the onboard out, and if it's not good enough, buy a sound card.
Oh cool! I'll try that first! Do most motherboards come with a WIFI card built in or do i need to get one of those separate? Also do i need to buy any other cooling system? Theres one in the case I am getting, but idk if i'd need more than that. Also am i missing another key components?

EDIT: from what i have found the new haswell processor is going to be cheaper than the ivy bridge is now. Awesome!

Last edited by Canderis; 05-22-2013 at 05:39 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 04:12 PM   #253
Q
The one who knocks

You'll just need a 7200RPM drive for now.

Only the more expensive motherboards come with WIFI. WIFI cards or USB dongles are relatively inexpensive (not more than $20).

-Toker
Old 05-29-2013, 05:20 PM   #254
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
You'll just need a 7200RPM drive for now.

Only the more expensive motherboards come with WIFI. WIFI cards or USB dongles are relatively inexpensive (not more than $20).
Thanks!!

EDIT: first batch of parts came today. Saved around 50ish$ on it and got 8gig of ram, the cd drive, a HD as well as 2 parts from my extras list: a bluray drive and USB 3 card (came free with the HD). Thanks so much for telling me about the newegg newsletter discounts, saved a ton!

Last edited by Canderis; 05-30-2013 at 05:01 PM.
Old 06-26-2013, 03:40 AM   #255
Canderis
Mercenary

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
So my new rig is incredible, but there is one tiny issue. I have a set of 5.1 speakers and a 7.1 headset I switch between using. But I can only have one of these plugged in at a time so I have to crawl under my desk every-time and swap them. Is there someway I could get something to keep them both plugged in and either just press the power button or switch a setting on my computer?

I'm also looking into new monitors. I want to get 2. No more than $120ish. Around 20"-24". 1080p. Any recommendations?

Also, Q, you had said if I got 2 128 ssds I could link them together and make them twice as fast? Can you elaborate on that?

And one last question: The sata ports on my motherboard are all filled. Is there a way to connect more hard-drives without needing a new motherboard?

Last edited by Canderis; 06-26-2013 at 03:47 AM.
Old 06-27-2013, 12:58 AM   #256
Q
The one who knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canderis View Post
So my new rig is incredible, but there is one tiny issue. I have a set of 5.1 speakers and a 7.1 headset I switch between using. But I can only have one of these plugged in at a time so I have to crawl under my desk every-time and swap them. Is there someway I could get something to keep them both plugged in and either just press the power button or switch a setting on my computer?
Are they multiple mini-plug (headphone plugs) or digital?
Quote:
I'm also looking into new monitors. I want to get 2. No more than $120ish. Around 20"-24". 1080p. Any recommendations?
Get IPS panels. They don't have the viewing angle problems that TN panels do, and they don't cost much more. This model was just on sale for $140 and it quickly sold out. I know that it's $20 more per monitor, but it's a 23-inch 1080p IPS panel, and it's a Dell (Dell makes great monitors). I have its bigger brother, the S2440L and I like it a lot. The S line doesn't have all of the niceties of the Ultrasharps, but they do have good panels and they're cheaper.

If that's too much money, or you don't want to wait, Newegg's got a deal going on these IPS panels until the 30th.
Quote:
Also, Q, you had said if I got 2 128 ssds I could link them together and make them twice as fast? Can you elaborate on that?
After installing the drives, you put them in RAID0 in the BIOS and then install Windows to the array. A fresh install of Windows is highly recommended here to avoid any potential alignment problems.
Quote:
And one last question: The sata ports on my motherboard are all filled. Is there a way to connect more hard-drives without needing a new motherboard?
You can get a separate SATA controller card that fits in a PCI or PCIe slot. The faster ones are expensive, but the slower ones are cheap and you can put your platter and optical drives on it.

-Toker
Old 07-10-2013, 05:54 AM   #257
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I looked at a nVidia 580. Wow, those are pretty expensive.

I'm currently playing with the idea of rendering arts, and this card performed best on tests, especially for the program Octane.

It's slightly older, harder to find, and I'm aware it was considered overkill of sorts--why? I mean obviously whatever extra it has must be part of the prices being so much higher than, say, a 660 or a 660Ti. I'm aware rarity is a factor also.

But seriously, what is it about a 580 that makes it at least as good if not so much better for rendering than a lot of cards of this generation?

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2013, 08:51 PM   #258
Q
The one who knocks

Nothing.

It was just the top single-GPU Nvidia card of its generation.

The GTX 660 can more or less match it in most modern games while drawing over 100W less power.

-Toker
Old 07-14-2013, 02:50 AM   #259
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
I should clarify: this isn't just for gaming.

Sure, playing SWTOR and a few other games ported from xbox360 and ps3 (super street fighter 4, street fighter x tekken, and others) will be among its duties.

However, the 660 doesn't seem to work too well for some 3D modeling programs. I'm actually looking at 3D art rendering/modeling in addition. I suppose I have other options...Octane is compatible with poser.

Though yes I was looking at the 660 especially since it isn't that much less powerful than its Ti counterpart--what maybe a 15% reduction for a ~$100 reduction in price? It's a good option for sure.

I'm just not positive it will work as fast for some of those 3D programs. I know, 3D is 'overrated' but I'm kinda getting into it.

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-18-2013, 09:21 PM   #260
Q
The one who knocks

Hm.

I would check out the GTX 760 and GTX 670, then. They're in the same ballpark as the GTX 580 price-wise and are more powerful.

The GeForce 500 series is just a waste of money (and electricity) at this point.

-Toker
Old 07-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #261
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Well do to a laptop failure while in another state and I needed laptop that day I was forced to buy this laptop. Would someone with a little more PC knowlandge than me mind to tell me how good it is for gaming and what are some of the cheaper upgrades I could make?

http://m.bestbuy.com/m/e/product/det...=1218932798414

Thanks

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2013, 10:55 PM   #262
Q
The one who knocks

It has a decent CPU, and decent integrated graphics. It should be able to play even modern games at low settings.

I would recommend upgrading the memory to 8GB, but it isn't crucial and you can afford to wait until memory prices go down. I would also recommend buying a stick that's identical to the one that's already in it.

The most worthwhile upgrade for this and any computer that doesn't already have one is a solid-state hard drive. The prices on those are also pretty high right now and I would wait until they're lower before buying one. Get one of those and that laptop will be pretty quick.

-Toker
Old 07-24-2013, 11:09 PM   #263
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
Sorry I'm a little late but thanks for the help Q. Your amazing!

-Supreme Kotor

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Community Discussion > General LFNetwork Forums > General Tech Discussion > Official Hardware Discussion and Advice Megathread