lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Creation or Evolution
Evolution by Natural Means 10 66.67%
Litteral Creation (6 days or equivalent) 0 0%
Life started by a Deus then it went on its own. 5 33.33%
Voters: 15. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Creation or Evolution
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-02-2013, 11:01 PM   #1
Me_Who_Else
Rookie

Creation or Evolution

So..weird place to throw in such a question but still want to know your oppinion about this topic.

The title says it all. When you post, tell WHY you believe X

And no...no big bang please. The origins of live is another field than big bang =)
Me_Who_Else is offline   you may:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #2
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
No.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may:
Old 11-02-2013, 11:44 PM   #3
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR on PC
Regardless of if you believe in God or not I don't understand how people can deny that evolution exists. Every single year scientists show more and more proof. If I were to live in a pitch black room for my entire life and had children and those children had children, all living in the dark like me, they would more than likely be born blind thousands if not hundreds of thousands of years later and have other enhanced senses. I don't know why people think that if you believe in evolution then you can't believe in a god or a greater power. A mystical person may in fact have created the universe and all of the living creatures and those creatures naturally evolve.

Sith Sizzle is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:31 AM   #4
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I think he means that this is a topic that can't end well and is choosing not to "take the bait".

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

There is no room in this country for hyphenated Americanism.---Teddy Roosevelt

I never forget a face, but in your case I'll make an exception.---Groucho

And if you all get killed, I'll piss on your graves.---Shaman Urdnot

How would you like to own a little bit of my foot in your ass.---Red Foreman
Totenkopf is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:58 AM   #5
Isaac Clarke

This will be an interesting thread.

Since I know an ounce of high school biology, I vote evolution. It is not a matter of "belief" in evolution, you either accept it or you don't.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #6
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I chose none of the options in the poll. That's a really small collection of possibilities up there.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 01:06 AM   #7
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Totenkopf View Post
I think he means that this is a topic that can't end well and is choosing not to "take the bait".
I know I wasn't even replying to him.
That's just what I had to say about the topic.
I hope this doesn't get to out of hand, but if it does I'm gonna stay out of it in the future because I'm not trying to preach!

Old 11-03-2013, 01:08 AM   #8
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
I chose none of the options in the poll. That's a really small collection of possibilities up there.
I shouldn't have voted since I actually believe in creation AND evolution.

Old 11-03-2013, 01:46 AM   #9
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member Forum Veteran 
I'd merely say for myself that neither is mutually exclusive and that there is no evidence that it has to be either/or.

Now, I want you to remember that no bastard ever won a war by dying for his country. He won it by making the other poor, dumb bastard die for his country.---Patton

Old 11-03-2013, 03:13 AM   #10
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Current Game: Poisoning pigeons in the park.
Another evolution vs creationism thread? I don't subscribe to the whole thing of one being absolutely exclusive from/to the other.

Heresy! Burn me at the stake. Oh noes.
But the pedantic evolutionists will say "God of the gaps fallacy!"

Can't really prove or disprove a negative. So most people will "wait and see" regardless of their belief or opinion either way.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 03:18 AM   #11
HED
Rookie

Yeah, I think with a little creative thinking the two could be bridged (though I personally only believe in evolution).

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 04:13 AM   #12
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Sizzle View Post
Yup, same here.

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 04:42 AM   #13
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

Living things are constantly evolving, but why are we living and on this planet in the first place? People always mention the big bang theory, but what happened before that? And what about before that? The Super Duper Old Republic obviously.

Old 11-03-2013, 06:26 AM   #14
Totenkopf
English spoken in What

That's where the whole argument gets circular. Either everything has always existed and is in a continuous state of flux or some ancient, timless dude is working everything like the wizard of Oz.....

Old 11-03-2013, 06:56 AM   #15
Me_Who_Else
Rookie

Quote:
That is a contradiction. You can NOT believe in both.
Evolution states clearly that we are descendants of apes (hell...we are apes).
Creation states clearly that God made Adam out of dirt/clay and Eve of one of Adams ribs. Quite a contradiction.

Quote:
Living things are constantly evolving, but why are we living and on this planet in the first place? People always mention the big bang theory, but what happened before that? And what about before that? The Super Duper Old Republic obviously.
We are living here because we are lucky as hell. But you need to know, that as soon the planet was suited for life, it emerged. The HOW is still open, but the door is closing slowly (primeordial soup or transpermia are very promising). As soon as life was here, Evolution was too.

Now..Big Bang and evolution are two different fields. And before the Big Bang is irrelevant because we do not know (yet). And to impose some supernatural thingy. Infinite regression is the word.

There might be a interesting theory around how our universe came into existence. From Nothing.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A_Universe_from_Nothing

I have read it, and if i have understood 50% of it..it was a lot. Not the english but the actual content >.>

Edit: I had the same kind of threat running somewhere else, and there 3 people voted for actual creation o_O

Last edited by Me_Who_Else; 11-03-2013 at 07:00 AM. Reason: adding stuff
Old 11-03-2013, 08:38 AM   #16
Pho3nix
#rekt

10 year veteran! 
Ancient aliens.

Pho3nix is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 09:59 AM   #17
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 02:00 PM   #18
Isaac Clarke

I still don't see the point of this. I predict it'll be around a 50/50 between evolution and evolution/creation.
Old 11-03-2013, 02:08 PM   #19
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Me_Who_Else View Post
Creation states clearly that God made Adam out of dirt/clay and Eve of one of Adams ribs. Quite a contradiction.
Actually the Bible states the above. Creation merely is the term for someone of a religious belief that Supreme being created the universe. Your claim also ignores the fact many Christians don't take then first chapters of Genesis literally, indeed whatever else maybe said it is written in the form of a Hebrew poem.

As for the matter at hand, I would argue that "Creation" is an entirely different matter to Evolution. Evolution being true neither confirms nor denies if there is a Contingent being who created the universe.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may:
Old 11-03-2013, 02:11 PM   #20
Isaac Clarke

Quote:
Originally Posted by jonathan7 View Post
Actually the Bible states the above. Creation merely is the term for someone of a religious belief that Supreme being created the universe. Your claim also ignores the fact many Christians don't take then first chapters of Genesis literally, indeed whatever else maybe said it is written in the form of a Hebrew poem.

As for the matter at hand, I would argue that "Creation" is an entirely different matter to Evolution. Evolution being true neither confirms nor denies if there is a Contingent being who created the universe.
Creation I believe is just being used to mean either a supreme being who created life on Earth in its present form (option 2) or one who created the universe, but then left it up to the evolutionary process to create the diversity in life we see now (option 3).
Old 11-03-2013, 02:16 PM   #21
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isaac Clarke View Post
Creation I believe is just being used to mean either a supreme being who created life on Earth in its present form (option 2) or one who created the universe, but then left it up to the evolutionary process to create the diversity in life we see now (option 3).
I find it strange we are only left with 3 options... Regardless it's things such as "natural design" which go "up" against evolution usually -certainly the OP seems to only be taking into account Christian creation myths and disregarding all the other religions... Incidentally the Roman Catholic Church accepted into Dogma evolution in 1947.

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
Old 11-03-2013, 04:31 PM   #22
Me_Who_Else
Rookie

Quote:
I find it strange we are only left with 3 options... Regardless it's things such as "natural design" which go "up" against evolution usually -certainly the OP seems to only be taking into account Christian creation myths and disregarding all the other religions... Incidentally the Roman Catholic Church accepted into Dogma evolution in 1947.
you want what? All the different creation stories that are around there. Go and fetch them. I took the one that influences my culture the most.

Mind to explain natural design?
Old 11-03-2013, 04:50 PM   #23
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Quote:
you want what? All the different creation stories that are around there. Go and fetch them. I took the one that influences my culture the most.
I don't need to. You stated;

Quote:
Originally Posted by YOU
That is a contradiction. You can NOT believe in both.
Evolution states clearly that we are descendants of apes (hell...we are apes).
It is NOT a contradiction to believe both, as they are entirely different questions... But despite that, the Roman Catholic Church adopted into it's beliefs an acceptance in 1947 that Evolution is correct - so that's a belief that God created the Universe and everything in it, and then life evolved on this planet.

Quote:
Why? I don't believe it; I was just pointing out it was one of many other theories... More than your 3 options.

Old 11-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #24
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
actually it's called Intelligent Design.
It is a belief that god shapes evolution. Gives it a nudge.

No reason creation and evolution cannot exist along side each other. That is what is known as a false dichotomy.

By the way, modern evolutionary theory is that apes and man had a common ancestor, not that we evolved from apes.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may:
Old 11-04-2013, 12:23 PM   #25
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Your claim also ignores the fact many Christians don't take then first chapters of Genesis literally, indeed whatever else maybe said it is written in the form of a Hebrew poem.
Exactly. One needs to take into account the type of narrative the Genesis includes and the purpose of its story. I don't think it was ever meant to be taken literally, but merely to make an allegory to the relation between Men and God.

And as already stated on this thread, the two concepts are not exclusive to each other.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may:
Old 11-09-2013, 12:22 AM   #26
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tommycat View Post
No reason creation and evolution cannot exist along side each other. That is what is known as a false dichotomy.
There's the term I was looking for. Yeah other alternatives do indeed exist.

We'll murder them all, amid laughter and merriment...except for the few we take home to experiment!

Old 12-29-2013, 10:25 AM   #27
Ray Jones
[armleglegarmhead]

10 year veteran! LF Jester Helpful! Forum Veteran 
Doesn't evolution create? Is creation not evolution? I think your real question is "is there someone who did it, or not?" But what would it matter? Nothing. The world would not change. Would you change? Would you change the way you treat others or animals or plants, just depending on if they evolved or were created?

Ray Jones is offline   you may:
Old 12-31-2013, 04:13 AM   #28
Isaac Clarke

Sure, evolution "creates", at least in the sense that it is a process that changes organisms.

And I do certainly think more knowledge would be beneficial. There's no harm in knowing.
Old 12-31-2013, 11:53 AM   #29
Sabretooth
鬼龍院皐月

10 year veteran! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Came for this, not disappointed.

Sabretooth is offline   you may:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:09 PM   #30
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
actually it's called Intelligent Design.
It is a belief that god shapes evolution. Gives it a nudge.
Intelligent Design it is just a way to circumvent court rulings because some people did not like the decision.

mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 12-31-2013, 12:37 PM   #31
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 

adamqd is offline   you may:
Old 01-02-2014, 07:06 PM   #32
Tommycat
>^..^<

Current Game: Real Life 1.0(BETA)
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
*this

I mean seriously. It was dead. Then someone came by and gave it the T-virus...

As for ID being a way around a court ruling, No, it predates those court rulings. It's from people trying to bridge their faith with their brains.

"I would rather be exposed to the inconveniences attending too much liberty than to those attending too small a degree of it." Thomas Jefferson
Tommycat is offline   you may:
Old 01-02-2014, 08:48 PM   #33
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Intelligent Design - First publicized in 1989 in Of Pandas and People

Edwards v. Aguillard, 482 US 578 - 1987

Do not pass go. Do not collect $200.

Quote:
It's from people trying to bridge their faith with their brains.
It is from people that just want to get around the court ruling. I do not dispute their faith, I do dispute they have brains.

mimartin is offline   you may:
Old 01-03-2014, 01:32 AM   #34
Darth Avlectus
If Sunday you're free...

Moderator note [01-03-2014 01:45 PM]

Not any longer. Locked before I had to start infracting.

Last edited by mimartin; 01-03-2014 at 01:45 PM.
Post a new thread. Sorry, this thread is closed. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Kavar's Corner > Hot Topics > Creation or Evolution