lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Darth InSidious' WIP
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-28-2012, 10:13 PM   #281
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Updated my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPriceless View Post
Wow, that looks nice man. Keep it up!
Thank you!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Show spoiler

Is that particular holocron placed in the cut Tatooine Rakatan Temple or am I reading the location wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sithspecter View Post
I'm almost 100% certain that's the one on the Unknown World.
SS nails it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyrie View Post
Wow looking damn good DI
Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Strides 2 View Post
Not sure if people want my opinion since I am talking abstract theory here, but the Jedi Holocron seems off to me.

From what I've seen on the Clone Wars tv show and read from EU(Luke and Exar Kun at the temple), the Holocron is the cube like you made it, but inside it's a swirling ball or two of lights. You could fix this in a somewhat hard-easy manner, if I have my theories working:

Change the texture on the sides of the cube to be about 60%-80% transparent and also without the swirls of color. In the model, add a sphere in the center of the inside with a completely different texture;this texture is the light, though I'd split it in two and animate the lights to move in a circled inside. You could then set the .txi of the texture for the sides of the Holocron to be either "blending additive" or "bleeding punchthrough". I think the second one is the one that I'm thinking of.

So if you think any of this has merit, could you attempt it and post screenies? If so, thanks!

P.S: If you are going to do this, someone else suggested adding an AuroraDLight on the inside for the "aura glow" effect. Hope ya found my suggestions helpful, DI!
Thank you for your suggestion, and yes, any and all opinions are welcome.

With that said, I have no intention at this point in the mod of making such a major change to the model, particularly since I'm not even certain the AuroraDLight would work, and I'm so far into the mod.

The first order of business for this update is that I hope everyone had a good Christmas.

The main point of this update is just a quick announcement that the mod is now substantially compleete, and that I am now looking for beta-testers.

I will be preparing dialogue documents for voice artists as soon as possible. SH and Zhab, you will get first refusal on parts, of course, though that still leaves me looking for one male and one female voice actor.

Further updates when I have them; there isn't much more to add except that I hope to have the mod out some time early in the new year.

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2012, 01:37 AM   #282
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
SH and Zhab, you will get first refusal on parts, of course, though that still leaves me looking for one male and one female voice actor.
How could I refuse? I'll await lines at your earliest convenience.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2012, 05:02 AM   #283
Dark_Ansem

would you be willing to add movie-styled items (robes/hoods for starting) to the mod? anaking's Jedi robe and hood especially would be brilliant

Dark_Ansem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 07:02 PM   #284
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Updated my journal

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark_Ansem View Post
would you be willing to add movie-styled items (robes/hoods for starting) to the mod? anaking's Jedi robe and hood especially would be brilliant
Iím afraid not; what youíre asking for is quite a different mod.

Well, itís been a little while since Iíve updated this thread ( ), but Iím happy to say that there are, for once, substantial updates this time. For one, the Landing pad module is now complete. As in, completely complete. Completely, completedly complete. The only possible thing left to do is to make combat optimisations, redraft/spell-check the journal entries, and maybe tweak the dialogue for style slightly. Thereís also a very minor plot element to do with Bao-Dur which Iím tempted to cut, simply from difficulty in implementing it (dealing with special dialogue for companions is always awkward, given the issue of splicing VO.) (I could also redo the textures with a bit more depth, but that is way down the list of Things to Do.)

What this means for this thread is that we say goodbye to one of the chief views for the last seven years:

Which personally Iím kind of relieved about. I was getting a bit sick of it.

I can also finally reveal the Landing Pad load screen, which Iím quite proud of:

And also what the name of the main quest on Rhen Var is going to be:

(bonus points for whoever spots where the reference without using Google. )

The good news is that we now have new (or at least, not-seen-for-a-long-time) modules to look at. Yay! To begin with, the central Ďhubí of the trade outpost:

This is not really an area with a lot going on in itself, but it leads to all sorts of more interesting modules, and gives, I hope, some sense of the layout of the place. (The last three don't show any preliminary retextures: I'm using SelfInducedComa's Telos retexture. )

Weíve also got the first-pass textures for the club:

Iím sick of cantinas in Star Wars, and feel a club Ė a nasty, sweaty, seedy club with music which is far too loud Ė is more realistic. So hereís my take on it.

However, aside from this (and real life, of course), Iíve not been entirely idle for the last year or so. In addition to the three mods released so far this year, I have two which are now very close to release for KotOR I. The first is quite a small mod, consisting of a new robe:

This just needs an icon and I need to decide where it should be available in game. Iím wondering if I shouldnít place it somewhere on Tatooine.

More excitingly, however, the holocrons mod is nearing completion:

I just have one or two more things I need, and to fix a few bugs, and it will be ready for release (hopefully - that 'early in the new year' thing didn't work out too well, after all... ). I have to admit, Iím more than a little excited by this. The voice-overs and lip-sync are now pretty much done, and I got a real kick out of playing through the mod with them in place. Zhab, SH, and Inyri have done a fantastic job on the VOs.

This also means that the Holocron models will be available for use soon... ish.

Iíve also been working on a different robe mod:

This was inspired by The Force Unleashed, and the robes you can get in that at the end, if you go light-side. Obviously, the inspiration is a little loose . These are still very much work in progress, and I donít know if I can be bothered to try and finish them; Iím not sure if theyíre worth it, really.

Iíve also been working on a couple of lightsaber hilts. The first is for a long, ĎMalakí style saber:

As you can see, the usual MDLOps problems afflict the texture. Iím not quite sure what to do about that, though. Iíve tried redoing the UV map a couple of times and it hasnít made any difference.
Iíve also been experimenting with a shorter lightsaber model:

This would probably be a short lightsaber, although it might just about make a normal length one. Feedback and comments on these are as always more than welcome.

Thatís about all I have at the moment. As always, comments, questions, criticism and feedback are all very welcome. (Also, apologies to those with slower internet connections: the size of the update is all jonathan7's fault. )

Share and Enjoy!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 07:35 PM   #285
jonathan7
Exiled Jedi...

Contest winner - Modding LFN Staff Member Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Fantastic update DI, really loving some of the modules - especially the reskin of the Telos underground base, they look wonderful! The loads screen is looking good - I do really look forward to having an explore when this gets released!

"Love is the only reality and it is not a mere sentiment. It is the ultimate truth that lies at the heart of creation." - Rabindranath Tagore

"Many a doctrine is like a window pane. We see truth through it but it divides us from truth." - Kahlil Gibran
jonathan7 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 07:43 PM   #286
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
For one, the Landing pad module is now complete. As in, completely complete. Completely, completedly complete.

That's always a good feeling

Quote:
Iíve also been working on a couple of lightsaber hilts. The first is for a long, ĎMalakí style saber:

As you can see, the usual MDLOps problems afflict the texture. Iím not quite sure what to do about that, though. Iíve tried redoing the UV map a couple of times and it hasnít made any difference.
That sounds like the same problem that Quanon had with the Juhani sabers. It seemed to be a problem with the way the model was done as a single mesh, but the uvw map was broken up and had seams. When it goes through MDLOps, all the uvw map seams get re-joined together. The way I fixed it, was to edit the mesh, and break it up into multiple objects, then join it back to the main mesh, but NOT weld the vertices together again. Then after editing the uvw map, all the seams will stay separate.

Also, when I use T3 for screenshots, I like to change the appearance.2da file so that his freelookeffect is set to default (0?) like everyone else.

Keep up the good work

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 08:23 PM   #287
newbiemodder
Gentleman Modder

Veteran Modder 
Nice area resins DI! Yay, I've been waiting for the holocrons!

Who's more foolish, the fool or the fool that follows?

Just exactly what is a head-piece to the Staff of Ra?

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206819

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=206541

http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...t=newbiemodder
newbiemodder is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 10:17 PM   #288
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
The idea of a gritty club with blaring music sounds pretty cool. A nice departure from the stock Star Wars cantina.

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 10:18 PM   #289
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:

(bonus points for whoever spots where the reference without using Google. )

Well, I'm happy about that Holocron mod; really gonna be a big step in making me play K1 again. :P

Also, I'd like to guess on the reference for the quest; is it in any way related to the movie Children of Men?

Finally, Do you mind telling me how you got the bronze/brown spikes on the right side of the picture like that? I'm really curious about how you got them to come together. And how'd you make them in the first place?

Nice to see some cool stuff from you again, DI!

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-03-2013, 11:55 PM   #290
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
That club looks amazing! Very excited for Rhen Var. Glad to be a part of the Holocrons mod.

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 01:36 AM   #291
Dark_Ansem

awesome post and great screenshots!

Dark_Ansem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 04:23 AM   #292
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaboka View Post
Glad to be a part of the Holocrons mod.
^ What he said!

It would be nice if you could use those holocrons for the cut Holocron Quest in TSL in addition to your planned mod. One can dream . . .

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-04-2013, 11:25 AM   #293
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
I’m sick of cantinas in Star Wars, and feel a club – a nasty, sweaty, seedy club with music which is far too loud – is more realistic. So here’s my take on it.
Hmm, if you want I got 2 models to spare on that subject. I'm not doing anything on my Nar Shaddaa idea for TSL... So if you feel like it I can give you a club model with 85% working lightmap

Quote:
More excitingly, however, the holocrons mod is nearing completion:

This also means that the Holocron models will be available for use soon... ish.
Ooh boy, I need to look at your model, been a bit lazy last week o_O

I'll get to that holocron thing ASAP!

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Darth InSidious' WIP