lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-01-2013, 07:56 AM   #41
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynk Former View Post
I don't mind if creators change their works, that's all well and good and if they want to change a whole bunch of stuff, good on them... What I do mind is when creators change their works and make it impossible for people to get the original versions of said works. It doesn't matter who the entity is that is changing that work, what Lucas was talking about back then was preserving the original copies of those works of art and making them available to people.
I want the theatrical versions of the movies as much as you do, but that's a completely different thing from what he was defending. He was defending the preservation of those films because the studios were altering them without the creator's consent, thus making the version that they intended unavailable to anyone. We can't take the context away and judge it.

Quote:
Are the Special Edition onward versions of Star Wars the original copies?
Again, the speech he made wasn't about theatrical versions vs changed versions, it was about changes being made without the creators approval or consent (most of them were dead at the time). He took a stance and defended that those original versions (which as far as we know were the final and intended versions for their creators) should be preserved. That's not the case with Star Wars and there is no contradiction.

Quote:
Doesn't matter who is doing the altering, that would be missing the point entirely.
No, it does matter because the speech he made is all about that. Studios changing movies without "permission" by their creators. That's why Lucas fought so hard to own his movies. So that couldn't happen and that he could do whatever he wants with them (for good or bad) without the studio having any say on the matter.

And again, I want the theatrical versions as well, but to say that that speech goes against what he's done is fallacious.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
The only problems I have with any of the "Changes", are both from Return of the Jedi:

Lapti Nek being revamped to the Jedi Rocks number in Jabba's Palace.
And, Vader now screaming Nooooooo as the Emperor electrocutes Luke in the Death Star II... I much prefer the subtle version.

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2013, 11:05 AM   #43
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
@ Alexrd: I guess you're right, when I go back to read it again... it's even more depressing when I think about it now. His stance is "it's my movies and I'll do whatever I want with them"... okay... I guess... it's an unfortunate stance since such cultural artifacts, to me, belong to more than just the person who created it.

As amazing as it would be for Da Vinci to come back from the dead, walk into the louvre and decide to make alterations to the Mona Lisa... it would be a great cultural disaster.

That's why a lot of people are glad Lucas doesn't have control over Star Wars any more... but that doesn't mean the people who have control now are any better. Maybe the Chinese can save Star Wars like in South Park... who knows. Or maybe Disney will make something good of this... we'll just have to see.

@ adamqd: There are a few changes I like from the special edition... such as the revamped Battle of Yavin, making those X-Wing's look really good. However, as I said, I'd still rather we had access to the original versions.

Lynk Former is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2013, 02:22 AM   #44
Shem
Master of the Force

Current Game: Variations of games
10 year veteran! Veteran Modder Notable contributor Hot Topic Starter 
View page
YouTube Video

View page
YouTube Video

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Shem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2013, 04:10 AM   #45
Red Hessian

Current Game: The Banner Saga
Meh, looks like just another Clone Wars to me.

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
The stillness in the storm
Silence hides the sniper

Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-13-2013, 07:22 AM   #46
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I was about to post this yesterday, but couldn't find the thread about it. Maybe update the title to Star Wars Rebels?

Quote:
NYCC 2013: Meet the Inquisitor, the New Face of Evil in Star Wars Rebels

The next great villain from a galaxy far, far away is here. Fans attending Lucasfilm's Star Wars Rebels panel today at New York Comic Con got the world's first look at the Inquisitor, a black-clad, intimidating figure who will play a prominent role in the upcoming animated series. In a special video (available below) screened at the end of the panel, Star Wars Rebels executive producer Dave Filoni officially revealed the character, showing a sculpted maquette, design sketches, and disclosing that the Inquisitor is "tasked by Darth Vader to hunt down the remaining Jedi Knights."

The panel, hosted by Lucasfilm's Pablo Hidalgo, focused on the Empire and how it is central to the story of Star Wars Rebels. Hidalgo revealed that the series takes place about 14 years after the events of Star Wars: Episode III Revenge of the Sith, a time in which the Emperor's rule is secure and the Empire is seeking to expand its power to Outer Rim territories. That leads Imperial forces to Lothal, a poor planet that initially welcomes the Empire on the promise of security and prosperity. It soon becomes obvious, however, that the Empire does not have Lothal's best interests at heart, as the Imperials exploit its people and begin recruiting young citizens to join TIE fighter and Stormtrooper academies, or to work in the Sienar Fleet Systems factory -- which builds TIE fighters -- in the planet's capital. Hidalgo showed new art focusing on Lothal, including the planet itself, a town, and alleyways, as well as an Empire recruitment poster.

The show is fully embracing the Star Wars legacy, taking direct inspiration from the original trilogy and its concept artist Ralph McQuarrie. Hidalgo displayed new Star Wars Rebels imagery and animation models for Stormtroopers, Star Destroyers, TIE fighters, and TIE fighter pilots, all of which fit seamlessly with classic Star Wars. Additionally, Hidalgo introduced several new Imperial vehicles and designs created for the series: the All Terrain Defense Pod (AT-DP), a ground attack walker based on an early Joe Johnston (the filmmaker who designed Boba Fett's armor and speeder bikes, and made other major contributions to Star Wars) illustration from 1979; the new AT-DP pilot, which blends designs of the classic AT-AT walker driver from Star Wars: Episode V The Empire Strikes Back and the AT-ST walker pilot from Star Wars: Episode VI Return of the Jedi; the Imperial Troop Transport, which comes from an early Kenner toy that was actually not based on designs from the films; and the Imperial freighter, a reimagining of an Imperial-style craft designed for Star Wars: Episode I The Phantom Menace by concept artist Doug Chiang, featuring a dock to transport TIE fighters from system to system.

If anything was made clear at today's panel, it's that the Empire is back -- thanks to Star Wars Rebels.

Star Wars Rebels is set to debut on Disney XD in 2014. Stay tuned to StarWars.com for more on this highly anticipated animated series.

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Old 10-17-2013, 03:56 PM   #47
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Current Game: Skyrim, Macross PS2
10 year veteran! LF Jester Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I'm pretty excited for this. I liked CW well enough and much prefer the move to the OT era.

Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-18-2013, 06:38 AM   #48
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
In terms of Rebels looking like Clone Wars... I pretty much figured it would since it's the same concept, different era, kind of series.

It is a kids show after all.

I'm going to give it a shot though since it's taking reference from an era we all see as being classic. I'm hoping that some of that oldskool charm will rub off onto this series and something better will come of it than just the minimum clone wars level of... whatever.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:08 AM   #49
Shem
Master of the Force

View page
YouTube Video

Interested in hosting a your KOTOR or TSL mod at FileFront? Send your mod HERE and we'll validate it as soon as we can! FileFront is a good way to get publicity for your mod as we get 1000's of visitors everyday. Is my LucasForum PM box full again? If you really need to reach me, PM me at YouTube under the username: Shem L -- Watch my KOTOR videos! Download my mods from FileFront!

Old 12-19-2013, 09:04 AM   #50
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

I'm really interested to see how they'll tie up TCW and begin Rebels. It's a really interesting transition from one series into another and I wonder if they'll actually acknowledge it through some kind of story element in the finale and beginning of those two series.

Old 12-19-2013, 02:11 PM   #51
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I honestly believe this will avoid dwelling too much on the previous show... Not because I hated it, just because of the decisions made by Disney since the purchase. All evidence points towards an era with minimal Prequel era reference of any kind.

Old 12-19-2013, 03:11 PM   #52
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Either way I think It's going to be a lot better than the Clone Wars

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2013, 03:42 PM   #53
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

The Clone Wars started out pretty meh, but it does have its awesome moments later on. I don't want to say that Rebels is automatically better just because it's OT driven, I'd rather actually see it and wait for it to develop till I actually decide how it fits in the grand scheme of things... cause it COULD suck for all we know.

Old 12-19-2013, 04:07 PM   #54
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

I'm putting in my early bet and saying that I'll probably hate it lol. I don't want to, I wish I loved everything about Star Wars like I did from 1980-2008... But the chances are, Filoni will make the same decisions and have the same answers for why as he did during the TCW run, "This is how it is now", "this is how it was originally supposed to be", "Georges Vision", We wanted to appeal to said group", "the new generation of Kids", "[Insert re-imagined EU original Character] is an Australian hippy now, "Man"".

Old 12-19-2013, 04:22 PM   #55
urluckyday
Up all night to get lucky

Current Game: Red Orchestra 2
10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
Quote:
The Clone Wars started out pretty meh, but it does have its awesome moments later on. I don't want to say that Rebels is automatically better just because it's OT driven, I'd rather actually see it and wait for it to develop till I actually decide how it fits in the grand scheme of things... cause it COULD suck for all we know.
Clone Wars ended just as it was getting really good! It had a much more mature tone by the end of season 3 through season 5. I have to imagine that it'll stay that way for the new series...but I could be completely wrong! lol

If I die today, I'm happy how my life turned out
urluckyday is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-19-2013, 05:41 PM   #56
mimartin
TOR ate my KotOR

Current Game: TOR/FO:NV
Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
I agree with Lynk and urluckyday, TCW ended up really good, big jump in both maturity and quality from the theatrical release of the original story line. Not every episode was equal, but the last 2 season were really good overall. Even a few of the early episodes were decent, but they were more misses than hits. If they keep the up the maturity and the quality in the new series, I have high hopes for it, but will wait and see. No need panning it or praising it until I see the final product.

mimartin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2013, 10:29 PM   #57
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamqd View Post
But the chances are, Filoni will make the same decisions and have the same answers for why as he did during the TCW run, "This is how it is now", "this is how it was originally supposed to be", "Georges Vision", We wanted to appeal to said group", "the new generation of Kids", "[Insert re-imagined EU original Character] is an Australian hippy now, "Man"".
I'm not so sure. I seem to remember Filoni making a comment about avoiding canon a bit more now after some of the backlash before, and Lucas may have less of a controlling interest this time around. We'll see.

Old 12-25-2013, 05:33 AM   #58
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prime View Post
I'm not so sure. I seem to remember Filoni making a comment about avoiding canon a bit more now after some of the backlash before, and Lucas may have less of a controlling interest this time around. We'll see.
Hope so bud, I want to be a part of fandom again lol!

Old 01-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #59
Shem
Master of the Force

http://insidetv.ew.com/2014/01/23/st...els-interview/

'Star Wars Rebels' interview: New series goes to dark places, embraces 1977 film's spirit
By James Hibberd on Jan 23, 2014 at 2:12PM

The next Star Wars TV series is embracing an era from a long, long time ago: 1977. Disney XDís Star Wars Rebels is the franchiseís first major storytelling return to the original trilogy since Return of the Jedi, with producers even utilizing original trilogy artist Ralph McQuarrieís decades-old and previously unused concept art for aliens, planet and vehicles. Below executive producer Simon Kinberg (Sherlock Holmes, Mr. & Mrs. Smith) tells EW his plan for the new show ó as much as he can at this early stage, anyway ó which premieres this fall.

So how did you land on the premise for the show?
They wanted to do an animated show and I loved [Cartoon Network's] Clone Wars and grew up with a lot of animated shows. So we just started to talk about where it would fall in the general Star Wars timeline. Really there was no predetermination going in. It could have been a prequel, sequel, a stand-alone universe. The main thing for us is how do we tell a story that enhances this universe, that answers questions that audiences may or may not have had but at least will make it feel like the world is fuller after watching the show. We pretty quickly got to this idea that though Rebel Alliance that was such an integral part of the movies, we know next to nothing about the formation of at least in terms of the movies and The Clone Wars. There was nothing in the canon that had delved deep into it. Thatís where it started ó letís tell the story of the formation of the heroes in the original movies. And that put us in a time line between episode III and IV. You donít want to be too close to New Hope so that it feels like itís repetitive, you want to feel like youíre watching the earliest seeds of what will sprout into a full-blown rebellion.

How will this look or feel different from Clone Wars?
It will look quite different. The intention of what Iíve seen so afar, and weíre pretty far down the line, the intention is for it to feel quite different from Clone Wars. The place we went back to as to a visual template was Ralph McQuarrie, who was one of the original concept artists for the original Star Wars films. His art is softer, a little more figurative, more of a feel of being drawn, less computer generated. The first few movies had a bit of a hand-made quality. We wanted the show to have that. Thereís also in the archives where [creator George] Lucas keeps all the original art and props, thereís tons of art thatís McQuarrieís musing on the Star Wars universe that was never used in the films. Thereís places where weíve quite literally taken world-creation or vehicles or creatures from his original art that was never used in the films and made that part of show.

Thatís fantastic. What about story-telling differences? How dark can you go on Disney XD?
We havenít talked in those terms. But the world weíre creating is an Imperial world. Youíre seeing the impact of the Empire, of stormtroopers around the galaxy, abusing and oppressing people. Thematically and politically, it goes to some dark places. But for the tone of the show we took our cues from the original movies, which had fun and adventure and swashbuckling with emotion and grounded human characters. We took all our cues from the original films. Obviously there are slight tonal differences between New Hope, Empire and Jedi. But I think the closest intended voice of the show is A New Hope. So there are places where we get into darker backstories, there are places we see how cruel and malevolent the Empire can be, but for the most part itís a fun and character-driven story. Again taking our cues from the original films, itís less maybe political than the prequels and more personal. It starts with a few character introductions that will precede the show. I wrote the first two episodes, theyíre like a one-hour story across two episodes where we introduce the main characters in the show.

Youíve created a new villain, the Inquisitor, what makes him special?
That was probably the most daunting part of this process. George obviously created the best villain of our time. So we spent a lot of time brainstorming and working with the artists to come up with the Inquisitor. Youíve seen that image of him. We wanted somebody terrifying, a nightmare character for a kid but not somebody too foreign, too creature-ly. We didnít want him to have a helmet for obvious reasons ó the comparison [to Darth Vader]. We talked about a character who was cold and calculating and could tap into peopleís emotional weaknesses as much as their physical weaknesses, and had a specific relationship to Jedi and the ways of the force. He would be somebody that the remaining Jedi would be especially scared of.

Will you include characters from the expanded universes, like Admiral Thrawn, or just the films and your own creations?
We have characters from all the different parts of the universe. One of the awesome resources is Pablo Hidalgo heís the resident Star Wars genius and he knows everything of every possible word or image that was created for Star Wars. So we utilize him a lot and heís very integrated into the process. He will say thereís a cool cantina in this comic book from 1994, or a cool creature that not all of us know. He will bring that stuff to us. Or weíll task him weíre trying to create a muscle for this villain with a cool backstory. Sometimes it will be a character or a planet we donít know about. Instead of being just an Easter egg, sometimes it will turn into an a whole episode.

Is Darth Vader and the Emperor in the show? And if so is any possibility of the original voice talent being used?
I donít think Iím allowed to answer that. I can say that wherever possible we would want to use the original talent.

We wouldnít want that. So what else about the new show Rebels that you think fans would be particularly interested to know that you would feel comfortable discussing at this juncture.
The reason I wanted to do this. I really felt like there was an opportunity to tell an untold story. Iím a fan of The Clone Wars and aspects of the prequels, but really the original movies were the reason I wanted to get into movies. I always loved origin stories and the origin of an entire organization, I donít think weíve seen that before, and weíve approached it in a real-world way. If I told the story of the American Revolution, I wouldnít want to start with the most famous battle Iíd want to start when it was just four guys in a room, the earliest spark of that seems dramatic and cool. Thatís a big part of the fun of it, the little back-room dealings, the first time you see itís possible to stand up to the Empire.

Can you say plot-wise whatís the inciting incident that kicks off your story in your first episode?
Um, Iím going to be a little vague about it. Itís less because I want to be secretive but more because part of the fun for me, and I know this will sound very nostalgic, part of the fun of the original movies is not knowing too much about it. I will say when we pick up the show when the Empire is in power and the inciting incident is the Empire doing their bad-Empire thing and our heroes meeting up.

Are those heroes familiar?
Thereís a lot of new characters in the show. The prequels were centered around the origin of familiar characters, thereís a lot of new characters in this show. The main characters are new characters.

Can you describe a couple of the new ones?

Not yet!

Drat!

Old 01-23-2014, 06:18 PM   #60
Pho3nix
#rekt

Forum Veteran 
Startin' to get hyped for this show man

Pho3nix is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2014, 11:51 PM   #61
urluckyday

As am I! I'm really getting annoyed with how hush-hush they've been about closing out the Clone Wars series though. Right now, technically, Darth Maul is still alive and who in the world knows what happened to Ahsoka...which makes me think that it's entirely possible that she returns in some capacity in Rebels (the Empire is still hunting down the remaining Jedi...), so who knows! It's just frustrating that we get bits of information without anything really concrete! I want my show!!!!

Old 01-24-2014, 09:19 AM   #62
deathdisco
Bastards of Young

Veteran Modder Contest winner - Modding 
Dark Horse is going to publish Darth Maul's story arc from the Clone Wars.
Source.

deathdisco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 09:44 AM   #63
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by urluckyday View Post
As am I! I'm really getting annoyed with how hush-hush they've been about closing out the Clone Wars series though.
Season 6 is going to air in Germany next month. 13 finished episodes have been confirmed.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:09 AM   #64
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Season 6 is going to air in Germany next month. 13 finished episodes have been confirmed.
Whaaaat?! When is it airing in the US? I was under the impression that they were grouping together episodes to make 3 feature-length shows to finish it up.

Old 01-25-2014, 05:33 AM   #65
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Whaaaat?! When is it airing in the US?
I don't know. But from the episode descriptions from the german broadcaster, it sure looks interesting. Maybe in the US and UK they'll air arc by arc, but from what I understand, in Germany it's going to be episode by episode.

Old 01-25-2014, 02:26 PM   #66
urluckyday

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
I don't know. But from the episode descriptions from the german broadcaster, it sure looks interesting. Maybe in the US and UK they'll air arc by arc, but from what I understand, in Germany it's going to be episode by episode.
lol this is why it's frustrating! I just want Lucasfilm/Disney to tell me what's going on - even if it's still a long time before they air - so that I know what to expect.

Old 01-30-2014, 12:29 PM   #67
Shem
Master of the Force

View page
YouTube Video

Old 01-31-2014, 11:36 AM   #68
urluckyday

^Not bad. I'm diggin' the art style more than anything.

Old 01-31-2014, 04:06 PM   #69
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pho3nix View Post
Startin' to get hyped for this show man
Fo shizzle.

Old 02-01-2014, 06:04 AM   #70
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Chopper... Here in England that's a slang term for your Manhood. "Droid what is your designation? PE N15

Old 02-04-2014, 03:05 PM   #71
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

Quote:
Chopper... Here in England that's a slang term for your Manhood. "Droid what is your designation? PE N15
Mind blown!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:50 PM   #72
Prime
Am I a truck or robot?

View page
YouTube Video

Old 02-13-2014, 03:53 AM   #73
Red Hessian

Current Game: The Banner Saga
Jedi cowboy?

Motion with no sound
Ice inside the fire
The stillness in the storm
Silence hides the sniper

Red Hessian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2014, 08:33 AM   #74
Alexrd

Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
lol this is why it's frustrating! I just want Lucasfilm/Disney to tell me what's going on - even if it's still a long time before they air - so that I know what to expect.
The episodes will air on Netflix next month.

And Liam Neeson will return:

View page
YouTube Video

Old 02-13-2014, 10:38 AM   #75
Obi-Wan Bologna
Rookie

Holy crap! That makes me sooo excited!!! Can't wait to watch the 6th season! I hope this also eventually makes it onto bluray/dvd. Hopefully in another box set as well, considering the last one was an absolute failure with the sync issues and no recall or anything.

Formerly Obi-Wan Baloney
Obi-Wan Bologna is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-13-2014, 02:46 PM   #76
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

On Netlfix USA and Canada (For the majority of the world not in those countries)

Old 02-13-2014, 02:57 PM   #77
Shem
Master of the Force

Quote:
On Netlfix USA and Canada (For the majority of the world not in those countries)
What are you talking about?

Old 02-15-2014, 02:58 AM   #78
Shem
Master of the Force

View page
YouTube Video

Old 02-15-2014, 05:43 AM   #79
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

Kind of looks like they're going for a different variation of the Luke + Han duo with the two latest characters to be revealed. Now I'm just waiting for the alternate Chewie, Leia and Threepio since we've already seen the alternate Artoo.

Old 02-15-2014, 07:05 AM   #80
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shem View Post
What are you talking about?
On the official statement they say the season six episodes will air on Netflix USA and Canada. So Germany US and Canada will be able to watch it but myself and the other 6.5 billion members of our species will have to wait, or torrent low quality versions.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > New Animated Series Star Wars Rebels Coming Fall 2014