lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: KOTOR online?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-22-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
room101
Lurker

KOTOR online?

Hi all!

For a while now it's been possible to use GPU to render flash-based applications. Once this became possible, various platforms appeared on the market to take advantage of this. In particular, there is now a pretty robust flash-based framework that allows rendering of 3-D models directly into a browser. Very recently an extension of this platform allowed a light saber material to be properly rendered in real-time in a browser so for the first time it's possible to create an RPG browser-based/flash-based in the KOTOR universe, that is an online/browser game along with multiplayer capabilities, where 3-D models of Jedi and their respective light sabers are rendered in real-time in a browser and so onů

That's all I wanted to say, that is now possible to make such game. What's next? Any takers? Any interest to make it happen? Any interest to help out on such project? is anyone else already working on such project, either indie developers or big development houses, and I just don't know about it?

Thanks!
room101 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-27-2013, 07:48 AM   #2
room101
Lurker

for example, I'm talking about something like this

for a full screen version of this image click here

http://dhkgames.com/stuff/Starling_b...ample_full.jpg

this example is something quickly put together to show how such game can look like, especially to show how a light saber looks like when rendered in real-time in a browser.
This light saber material is the innovation I was talking about, and to the best of my knowledge this was not done before
and that's it, I hope the above can prove the concept of a KOTOR online potential
Old 12-25-2013, 10:18 AM   #3
room101
Lurker

hi all, I worked a little bit more on this proof of concept and here you can see an update

you can play with a very early alpha version here

KOTOR Online

use the SPACE bar key to turn the light saber on/off. Use the COMMA key for a light saber slashing. Use the BACKSLASH key to change the light saber color. Use the left and right keys to rotate the character while standing idle. Clicking the mouse anywhere on the path will make the character move. If you click outside the path nothing happens. The path algorithm needs some extra finesse, but for this proof of concept should be enough as is.

this proof of concept is heavily inspired by King's Road from rumble games, and Dragon age journeys from EA, and of course it's using KOTOR 3-D models, in particular a Jedi consular body and Jolee head, and they should take all the credit, my intention is to prove that such game is possible and that perhaps the Star Wars/KOTOR copyright owners are willing to support such project, so we can start using custom-made new visual content

on a side note, I've been having some health-related issues lately, in particular my eyes and my arms, so it's unlikely that this project would move forward without help and participation from other community members

anyways, please let me know what you think

Thanks!
Old 12-25-2013, 11:08 AM   #4
Sith Sizzle
Rookie

Current Game: KotOR on PC
Woaahhh that is very cool!

Sith Sizzle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2013, 12:12 PM   #5
adamqd
Jedi vs Sith

Forum Veteran The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I'm very impressed! keep up the good work Jolee goin Darkside in Hobbiton

adamqd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-28-2013, 08:59 PM   #6
room101
Lurker

Hi, thank you for the positive comments!

please allow me to clarify a bit about my health. I'm doing this not only for the sympathy, which I need given my condition, but also to point out that without help it's unlikely this project would complete.

Although my eyes problem is a new addition on top, I had problems with my arms for a long while now. I cannot use either of my arms, and I operate my computer through a microphone and voice recognition software. You can imagine how cumbersome programming or using 3-D software can be via a microphone

one of the main reasons I started this project is to keep my mind occupied, apparently I have a strong burning spirit, but my body doesn't seem to be able to keep up with the spirit, and it's breaking down piece by piece. An active mind always need something creative or constructive to do, otherwise it's like an engine in neutral with a floored acceleration, it's revving loudly but doesn't move the car forward.

So I had to do something to keep my mind occupied and away from the negative thoughts that are byproduct of chronic pain and being physically challenged

and that's all I want to say about this. No help, no game. :-)
Old 12-28-2013, 10:20 PM   #7
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
This looks very good! Nice work.

I'm not very skilled in programming outside of some scripting for KotOR (and I often end up banging my head on something over that), and my time's a bit limited, but if I can help in some way I'd love to.

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-29-2013, 02:28 AM   #8
room101
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
This looks very good! Nice work.

I'm not very skilled in programming outside of some scripting for KotOR (and I often end up banging my head on something over that), and my time's a bit limited, but if I can help in some way I'd love to.
hi, thanks for the offer! let me steer the conversation in a more technical direction and talk about what's behind this proof of concept.

But before anything else, I want to make sure that the following is clear: the visual components used in this proof of concept are not done by me, they are extracted/reverse engineered/ported from other games, and the copyright owners of these games deserve all the credit. The 2-D background is from Kings Road, and the Jedi with a light saber is from KOTOR. I had to use these resources as a temporary placeholder to make a point: that a game like KOTOR Online is doable.

now back to the technical conversation. This proof of concept uses Actionscript 3 as the backend programming language. currently this project is done in Flash Builder 4.6 from Adobe

It also uses Sea3D framework for the 3-D models. Sea 3-D framework is an extension of Away 3-D framework.

For the 2-D side of this concept I'm using the Starling framework. The background in this proof of concept is a 2-D layer made of a matrix of 16 images 4 x 4 grid, and the Starling framework is used for GPU rendering of these images.

Currently the 2 existing layers ( Starling 2-D and Sea3D) are sharing the same Flash Scene3D which is possible starting with flash player 11 and up.

As you can see, the 3-D layer is rendered on top of the 2-D layer, and this is how the Jedi 3-D moves on the path 2-D. I plan to add another 2-D Starling layer as the UI, where the talents, character customization, etc. will take place.

Sea3D framework is the one that allowed me to create the material for the 3-D model of the light saber to be rendered in a browser. The team behind this framework should get credit as well :-)

so I guess actionscript/Sea 3-D/away 3-D/Starling knowledge would be very helpful for anyone who wants to participate. Also artists who can create new custom visual 2-D or 3-D components are definitely welcome to join, this way we can stop using other people's copyrighted work

and, I guess a manager would also help to turn a group of people into an effective team :-). By manager I don't mean a power-hungry person who likes to push people around, but someone with decent interpersonal and organizational skills :-)

on my immediate to do list I plan to:
1. migrate all the animation sequences, about 230 of them, roughly 15,000 frames. The way I'm currently doing this it's a very manual slow process, but it has to be done. The source of these animation sequences is S_male02 model from obsidian KOTOR2, which includes navigation sequences and combat sequences for all the weapons except Saber staff

2. create some rudimentary UI, mainly for the powers bar in game, as icons I would most likely use SWTOR icons, I wrote the script to download them, I had no idea there are over 50,000 of them, it took about 15 hours to get them all, but now I have them, and I would probably try and identify the most interesting, beautiful and relevant ones and see if I can use them in my proof of concept. It is likely that I would use as inspiration a reversed engineered powers bar from Dragon age journeys, so I take this opportunity to give the team behind this game proactive credits
Old 06-05-2014, 07:00 PM   #9
room101
Lurker

it's been a while, but here is an update, it's an example for a main menu and an intro crawl.
The intro is rendered in the browser in real-time. At least in the tests in my lab. :-)

View page
YouTube Video
Old 06-07-2014, 05:24 PM   #10
Darth Avlectus
Your point?

Current Game: Soul Calibur 5
Whoa. For real?

"I cant see S***! --YOU GO TO HELL!" --Tourettes guy
Darth Avlectus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-06-2014, 10:14 PM   #11
room101
Lurker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth Avlectus View Post
Whoa. For real?
Yes , I guess this project is real enough. :-)

Anyways, due to stubbornness issues, I kept on working on this Sisyphus job, and I came up with an example for Character Creation screen

it's actually interactive, so if you go to http://dhkgames.com/games/ko/ you can start clicking on those icons and the model changes based on the race or the class buttons you press

of course, this is just an example, and if I may be so bold to refresh everyone's memory, my arms and eyes are not working very well, so I'm not really using them, except the eyes every once in a while. so for healthy and talented person my work may be just average, but in my case, the lack of access to traditional resources, like healthy hands/eyes may possibly be an above average achievement.

I wouldn't mind if my tale would become inspirational for some, I mean, how often you get someone with dysfunctional eyes and arms to work with 3 DS Max, Photoshop, Flash Builder, and so on. I mean, I can see at the best of my abilities maximum of 10 lines of code at the time on the screen, and I'm using 3 DS Max with voice recognition software only
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Community > Ahto Spaceport Cantina > KOTOR online?