lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Endless Play and Grind mod
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-07-2013, 06:14 PM   #41
j12r34
Rookie

So far I have experimented with modifying the npc's on the Endar Spire. I haven't done anything major so far. I'm just trying to learn more about how they work. I have a few questions I need answers to before I can learn much more though. First, is the baseitem.sda or whatever it's called what dictates weapon damage and armor defense? Second, do I need to edit the modules with a gff editor in order to place new npc's or can scripts take care of that? I'll continue experimenting, but for now it's mostly on a when-I-feel-like-it basis.
j12r34 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2013, 08:12 AM   #42
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by j12r34 View Post
So far I have experimented with modifying the npc's on the Endar Spire. I haven't done anything major so far. I'm just trying to learn more about how they work. I have a few questions I need answers to before I can learn much more though. First, is the baseitem.sda or whatever it's called what dictates weapon damage and armor defense? Second, do I need to edit the modules with a gff editor in order to place new npc's or can scripts take care of that? I'll continue experimenting, but for now it's mostly on a when-I-feel-like-it basis.
I've been doing some work on my end, too. I messed with the difficulty options you see in the options menu. I made a Kath Hound do 65 damage to a level one character in basic clothing...:P

That good enough for you?

As to your first question about the baseitem.2da, the answer is yes. In the baseitems.2da, there are two columns to note: numdice and dicetoroll. The numdice column needs a number detailing the number of dice to roll to calculate damage, and the dicetoroll column contains a number detailing the number of sides each die has.

Examples: The vibrosword has 2 numdice and 6 dietoroll, so the base damage is 2-12, because a 6-sided die can roll 1-6 and we have two of them.

Another example is the lightsaber, which has 2 numdice and 10 dietoroll, which results in 2-20 damage.

You use those tutorials I sent you?

A module, the way I define it, is a series of interconnected rooms composed of individual models, lights, a skybox(just an outside-in cube to display textures on) and a walkmesh(which is basically just a collision modifier-type element that tells the game if the person can walk on the graphical point they're about to step on).

The module's generic(general everyday) data is stored in the .ifo file.
The module's environmental data and event scripts are stored in the .are files.
The module's custom info(things that are related to the specific module, like npc spawns) is stored in the .git file.

I sent a tutorial on the .git, .utc, .uti, and .utp file types. I recommend using the K-GFF Editor from starwarsknights.com, look for the tools link in the left-hand panel.

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2013, 07:07 PM   #43
j12r34
Rookie

(1.) Concerning exact damage numbers between player and npc's, I'll post some charts once I have them finished. (2.) As for the difficulty scale, I pretty much want very easy, normal, and very hard. I've done a little work on that myself, but if possible I would like for it to play something like this: Hard--an npc 4-5 levels above the player will usually one-hit kill the player, whereas in Normal, it would need to be 8-10 levels superior for the same effect, and in Easy, a level 1 player could stand 2-3 hits from a level 15 npc. (3.) If I change weapons and armor in the .2da's will the ui in the game reflect those changes automatically or do I need to edit some type of string file or something too? I know in some games the ui has to be manually updated to reflect modifications to the numbers. (4.) I think we need to exchange our work once I've actually done something, so we don't both keep working on the same things. If I can make all the .utc's, would you be willing to place them in the game and make them function? Unless you know how to make random loot drops like Logan23 suggested above, I'll have to make 8-12 versions of each npc, in which case each planet may take several days. If we can divide the work between both of us, we might make some real progress, and since scripting is still a little bit beyond my understanding, I figure it may be best if I handle the simple things like utc's, uti's, and the rebalancing part, while you work on making it all functional, if you want to. I don't know if that's really an equal split of the work load or not, but I'll keep trying to learn scripting so I can do more. For now, I just want to see some progress so I don't get tired and give up.
Just for an update, I have the modified .2da's for feats, powers, and xp/leveling. Do you know if it's possible to change how many attribute points you get per level? And if so, how?

P.S. I am typing on a phone, so please forgive any typos or left-out words.

Last edited by j12r34; 10-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 07:22 PM   #44
j12r34
Rookie

For the release title I'm thinking about 'KotOR: Extended Play', or some variation of it. Does anyone know if this has been taken?

Last edited by j12r34; 10-08-2013 at 07:27 PM.
Old 10-08-2013, 08:00 PM   #45
Isaac Clarke

http://lmgtfy.com/?q=kotor+extended+play

But really, the short answer is: no.
Isaac Clarke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2013, 08:53 AM   #46
R2-X2

Current Game: KotOR again. F*** yeah.
I started a somewhat similar mod 3 years ago (but never moved very far) where I had a console that ported one to a duplicate area where enemies based on Globals (that were set in a console dialog) would spawn, as well as allies (also based on settings in a dialog) The units would patrol along certain paths to create a battle where one would take part of.

I had only one setting done when I stopped it, it was: "Tatooine, Offense, Enemy: Republic, Ally: Sith Empire". It was a duplicade module of the Krayt Dragon's cave where the attackers would come from the Tusken direction and the defenders from inside the cave. I planned to allow being able to choose whether one would be attacker or defender.

I know this is different from what you are planning, as it did not change any of the standard locations but just added instead. I nonetheless wanted to tell you about my discontinued (and lost) project.

Good luck with your mod!

Beep.
R2-X2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2013, 12:06 AM   #47
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
hows this going? Any progress? I'm not a huge modder, in fact i'm having a lot of difficulty when i fisrt tried to start, but i'll be starting again soon. I wanted to hear about other projects to raise my own spirits.

Quack
DuckfromPortal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-07-2013, 12:15 AM   #48
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckfromPortal View Post
hows this going? Any progress? I'm not a huge modder, in fact i'm having a lot of difficulty when i fisrt tried to start, but i'll be starting again soon. I wanted to hear about other projects to raise my own spirits.
Currently, the guy is having some tech and RL issues with finding the time. I'm working with him on it, and he's sending me some files soon so I can get to work on Taris. Progress is still live, don't worry.

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2013, 12:20 PM   #49
j12r34
Rookie

I'm sorry for the disappointment, but we won't be able to release anything before Christmas as I had hoped. I have done a small amount of work, but the learning process is going slow, and I have to spend a lot of time away from the mod just to keep myself from getting tired and giving up. To avoid having to go back on any more deadlines, I won't set any more. I'll just release things when they are ready. If anyone wants detailed info on progress, just send a pm. If you want to contribute send me a pm detailing what you are able and willing to do. I appreciate the interest everyone has shown in this mod, and I hope it can be successful. I just need to get over the hurdles, one at a time. As soon as things slow back down, I hope to get back to work on the utc's and uti's. I think once I can get past that, I should be able to get enough done to start working on the phase 1-2 release, but I don't know when that will be. A warning to any other new modders : uti's and utc's can take a long time to do, especially if you need multiple versions of them. Don't expect to sit down and do it in just a few days unless you're ok with not taking any breaks and possibly losing your sanity.
Old 12-30-2013, 02:18 PM   #50
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
Take your tme and enjoy yourself knowing that you are working on this should be consolement enough for people

Quack
DuckfromPortal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-16-2014, 03:01 PM   #51
j12r34
Rookie

After a long hiatus, I think I may finally be ready to take another run at this project. However, I won't be able to do it alone. My ability to mod is limited to what can be done in Kotor Tool, and my knowledge of it is still very limited. I need help from any modders who are willing and able to contribute if this is ever going to go anywhere. Also, I might benefit from any example scripts and details of how they work and what they do. Most of my learning is based on reverse-engineering things that already work. I still have no idea what I'm doing when it comes to scripting, and the few things I've tried have failed miserably.

What I can do myself :

(1) Concepts and Ideas. (The easiest part of any project)

(2) Character, NPC, and Item re-balancing.

(3) Re-balance pricing and placement of items.

(4) Anything else that can be accomplished with Kotor Tool, a
calculator, pen, and
notepad.

What I need someone else to do :

(1) Scripting.

(2) Module editing.

(3) Modelling, mapping, and textures. (Possibly)

(4) Anything I have failed to consider that someone thinks would be
a good contribution to the spirit of the project.

I would still like to learn scripting, but I'm not counting on it anytime soon. I won't actually resume working on the mod until I have some help, as the re-balancing won't work without some of the other things, most importantly the unlimited NPC's for the character to fight.

The current priorities are: (* means I need someone to do this for me)

*(1) Make all of the general NPC's respawn.

(2) Re-balance character progression, item statistics and prices, NPC
statistics.

If you want to work on a part of the project, reply here so everyone is on the same page. If you have ideas, suggestions, criticism, or advice, please message me so as to avoid cluttering up the thread.

Thank you.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Modding requests > Endless Play and Grind mod