lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do modern games use 3ds max?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-18-2014, 06:26 AM   #1
Tyler Hartman
Rookie

Current Game: Skate 3, Ultimate Tenkaichi
Do modern games use 3ds max?

So I have a silly question. Say if I went to some college for game art that has a focus on modeling, after finishing that would I be able to just operate 3ds max no problem? Or do you think 3ds max has a learning system all it's own?

Tyler Hartman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2014, 06:49 AM   #2
Trex
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
I would assume so.

I'm making my own game with the unity3d engine, and I'm using 3dsdmax for most of the modelling.

I think it also depends a lot on the type of modelling. All the character modelling I here about these days seems to be done through mudbox.

KNIGHTS OF THE OLD REPUBLIC : THE JEDI MASTERS
PLAY THE TOTAL CONVERSION MOD NOW! . | If you're interested, my almighty fanfic can be read here.
Trex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2014, 07:52 PM   #3
Tyler Hartman
Rookie

Current Game: Skate 3, Ultimate Tenkaichi
Thanks, I suppose learning it before couldn't be too bad either I'll grab my old xp computer and start working on figuring it out

Tyler Hartman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-18-2014, 08:56 PM   #4
Toasty Fresh
Rookie

It depends. For props and weapons and whatnot, many use 3DS Max. For characters, zbrush seems to be becoming the norm.

If you learn 3DS Max to a very proficient level though, you will be able to learn other modelers very quickly and easily, however. You can't really go wrong by learning 3DS Max as opposed to anything else.
Toasty Fresh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2014, 02:48 AM   #5
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Zbrush is a sculpting program (as are Mudbox and other similar programs). They are used to make a high poly mesh to generate normal maps. You still do all your low poly rigging in a traditional 3D app like Max or Maya.

If you are planning on doing a degree, chances are that you will work with a variety of programs (such as Max/Maya, Zbrush, Photoshop, etc.). For a career in the industry, what skillset you want/need will depend greatly on what it is you want to do.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-19-2014, 06:27 AM   #6
Toasty Fresh
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Zbrush is a sculpting program (as are Mudbox and other similar programs). They are used to make a high poly mesh to generate normal maps. You still do all your low poly rigging in a traditional 3D app like Max or Maya.
Indeed, and high poly baking is now the industry standard. If you want to do characters in the industry, you will more likely than not need to know how to use Zbrush or Mudbox. And yes, you would also need a normal modeling program such as 3DS Max to be used in conjunction. I would not recommend touching Zbrush until you're proficient in 3DS Max, I probably should have added that.
Toasty Fresh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Do modern games use 3ds max?