lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: How can I interchange crystal colors and hilts in KOTOR 1?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-22-2014, 11:18 AM   #1
charlieroberson0
Lurker

How can I interchange crystal colors and hilts in KOTOR 1?

Hi, I Have Crixler's New Lightsaber Crystal Pack and Oldflash's Movie Style Replacement Lightsaber Hilts mods installed. My basic question is how can I change the hilts from Oldflash's mod to work with the custom lightsaber crystals from Crixler's mod. More specifically I want the curved hilt from Oldflash's mod attached to the silver blade of Crixler's mod. I'm assuming this is possible through editing the .MDX and .MDL files, or maybe a different way, I'm just not sure how to do it. I have been searching around for hours on how and to no avail. Im not at all fimiliar with modding myself, so any help with this subject is much appreciated.

Thanks
charlieroberson0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 12:32 PM   #2
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Spot on!

You need to open up the MDL file for old flash's hilt in a Hex editor and change the texture names for the blade.

You'll need to look up the texture names yourself by examining the mods however, as I don't have them (nor do I have the games installed anymore ), but it's fairly self explanatory.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 01:32 PM   #3
charlieroberson0
Lurker

Thanks for the respond. Okay I tried to follow what your saying. What I did was open MDLOPS and pressed read and write to try to find the textures.
the textures for w_lghtsbr_006.MLD (Oldflash's Malak lightsaber with curved hilt) are
w_lsabrered01
w_dooku
and the texures for w_lghtsbr_014.MLD (Crixler's silver lightsaber) are
w_lsabresilv01
w_lghtsbr_001
What I tried to do was open w_lghtsbr_006.MLD with a hex editor and replace all w_lsabrered01 with w_lsabresilv01 until it told me that there were no more.
but upon opening my kotor save the game crashed. So now I have reset back to normal. I not quite sure if thats what I was supposed to do or not. can you try to walk me through it a bit more if you can.
charlieroberson0 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 04:21 PM   #4
aadrenter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieroberson0 View Post
Thanks for the respond. Okay I tried to follow what your saying. What I did was open MDLOPS and pressed read and write to try to find the textures.
the textures for w_lghtsbr_006.MLD (Oldflash's Malak lightsaber with curved hilt) are
w_lsabrered01
w_dooku
w_lsabresilv01
w_lghtsbr_001
What I tried to do was open w_lghtsbr_006.MLD with a hex editor and replace all w_lsabrered01 with w_lsabresilv01 until it told me that there were no more.
but upon opening my kotor save the game crashed. So now I have reset back to normal. I not quite sure if thats what I was supposed to do or not. can you try to walk me through it a bit more if you can.
You could try decompiling the model with MDLops, and then using a text editor like Notepad++ to find and replace the texture name. Then just recompile the ascii model again with MDLops, delete the excess files and rename the new models to the old ones' names.

Completed Mods:
Survival Mask
Current WIP:
Flightsuit Mod
aadrenter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-23-2014, 12:12 PM   #5
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlieroberson0 View Post
w_lsabrered01
w_dooku
w_lsabresilv01
w_lghtsbr_001
w_lsabresilv01 has one more character than w_lsabrered01 in it. If you rename the w_lsabresilv01 file to w_lsabresil01 instead, it'll work.

Or you can use the renamer in MDLOps to do it for you.

Completely up to you.

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > How can I interchange crystal colors and hilts in KOTOR 1?

Tags
change hilts and crystals, crixler, crystals, help needed, hilts, kotor1, lightsaber, lightsaber pack, mods not work, oldflash