lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Head Shadow Glitch
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-22-2014, 07:32 PM   #1
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Head Shadow Glitch

I was messing around with heads in KotOR 2, mulling over which ones I could reskin well enough to make unique characters that were hard to tell who they originally were. I took a look at Trask's head and found weird triangular shadows at the corners of his eyes, that only appeared depending on how the light hit the model.

Here's a screenshot:

Show spoiler

Does anyone know of a way I could fix this?

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 09:45 PM   #2
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I think maybe that's just how the uv-map is when applied to the model. Maybe due to the model shape?

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread

Last edited by LDR; 01-22-2014 at 10:10 PM.
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 10:03 PM   #3
Sithspecter
Big things are coming...

Current Game: Mechwarrior II: Mercenaries
Contest winner - Modding Forum Veteran Veteran Modder LFN Staff Member 
Seems like a smoothing issue to me.

Sithspecter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 10:58 PM   #4
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah it's a mesh issue of some sort. Those are single polygons you are seeing there. Check the smoothing, as Sithspecter suggested. Also check whether those polys have been detached from the rest of the face.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 06:48 PM   #5
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Yeah it's a mesh issue of some sort. Those are single polygons you are seeing there. Check the smoothing, as Sithspecter suggested. Also check whether those polys have been detached from the rest of the face.
From the models I've worked with in TSL, this seems to be the case. There are a lot of detached polys with their uvw mapped in weird places. Often there are verticies that aren't joined, and that's where you get a little line (usually down the middle of faces, sometimes around the nose-eyes-eyebrow areas like on Trask there) where the background is peeking through. I don't know how Obsidian could mess up so many of the existing head models (like Trask and Bastila).

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 07:01 PM   #6
aadrenter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
From the models I've worked with in TSL, this seems to be the case. There are a lot of detached polys with their uvw mapped in weird places. Often there are verticies that aren't joined, and that's where you get a little line (usually down the middle of faces, sometimes around the nose-eyes-eyebrow areas like on Trask there) where the background is peeking through. I don't know how Obsidian could mess up so many of the existing head models (like Trask and Bastila).
It's actually also like that in the first KotOR. You'd think they might have fixed stuff like that. And it is multiple vertices that aren't joined, just checked model in gmax.

Completed Mods:
Survival Mask
Current WIP:
Flightsuit Mod
aadrenter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 11:06 PM   #7
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
KOTOR has some of the most terrible UV mapping in the history of gaming. You have to wonder if some of it wasn't done by some intern or something.

As to detached polys, there really should be no reason to physically detach them, even when breaking out the UVs of a couple of polys on their own (like the beauty spot on the cheek of that one female player head in TSL). It could be that NWMax is causing the issue. It was always somewhat flaky. Or the conversion into an ASCII model. I can't see any logical reason why the originals would have detached polys like that.
Old 01-26-2014, 05:48 AM   #8
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Think NWmax and MDLops somehow 'cut' the models following the UVWmap. With my own models the UV always get messed up, untill you slice and break up your model into differant parts. It's just plain annoying.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2014, 11:25 AM   #9
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
Yeah, looks like the 2 polys at the outside corner of the eye are detached (both from the rest of the face and each other). It's the same in both the K1 and TSL models. Also the poly at the inner corner of the eye, although being so small and in that position that one is probably not really noticeable.

Old 01-26-2014, 02:36 PM   #10
Fallen Guardian
Wandering the Galaxy...

Current Game: Knights of the Old Republic
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Thanks all for your replies.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Yeah, looks like the 2 polys at the outside corner of the eye are detached (both from the rest of the face and each other). It's the same in both the K1 and TSL models. Also the poly at the inner corner of the eye, although being so small and in that position that one is probably not really noticeable.

I'm not very skilled or experienced in modeling, but if the procedure to fix this is pretty basic I'd probably be able to do it. How would I got about fixing it?

The truly fallen cannot return to the light. If someone "falls" and "returns," they never really, truly fell.

Current Work in Progress: Dantooine Tension

Released Works
Blaster Pistol Enhancement
Dustil Restoration
Ebon Hawk Texture Enhancement
Gaffi Stick Improvement
Weapon Model Overhaul Texture Rework (Thanks to Toasty Fresh!)
Sunry Murder Recording Enhancement
VP's Hi Poly Tin Cans - KotOR 1 Version
Fallen Guardian is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2014, 02:48 PM   #11
aadrenter
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fallen Guardian View Post
Thanks all for your replies.

I'm not very skilled or experienced in modeling, but if the procedure to fix this is pretty basic I'd probably be able to do it. How would I got about fixing it?
I think the problem here may be very similar to my problem adding helpers to this model. The solution is to weld the vertices but I think you will likely run into the same problems I did recompiling. Maybe you can make more sense of the stuff redrob linked to me than I seem to be able to!
http://www.lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=213460
If this can be figured out then so can helpers

Completed Mods:
Survival Mask
Current WIP:
Flightsuit Mod
aadrenter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2014, 06:31 AM   #12
harIII
Veteran

Helpful! 
Rather than welding the vertices together, could you just place two vertices in the exact same location? Say make both located at 3.873, 8.325, and 1.294?
harIII is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-28-2014, 07:37 AM   #13
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Forum Veteran Helpful! 
The verts are already in the same location. Those polys were just detached during the conversion/import process (thereby duplicating the verts). The verts need to be welded to repair the broken shading.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Head Shadow Glitch