lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Quanons Crazy Projects!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-04-2013, 05:08 PM   #761
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

Current Game: TSL
Maybe you could make it so the jedi symbol is marked in the middle of the helmet or something and out spirals into the symbols and such

Quack
DuckfromPortal is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2013, 08:58 PM   #762
Phildevil

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrob41 View Post
I think the problem is that you've picked a repeating, tiled, rectangular pattern and placed it on non-rectangular shapes. It doesn't look like a metal smith held a piece of metal in his hands and created unique details on it, specifically matching the curves. The pattern lines shouldn't get "cut off" when they meet an edge (the red lines on the top fin are a perfect example), because a viewer can imagine the line continuing (essentially filling in the blanks) past the edges.
Yes, this is very true. I wasn't quite keen on what I felt about the helmet shapes patterns, but this detail would indeed make all the difference.
Phildevil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2013, 09:07 PM   #763
supreme kotor

Current Game: Modding.. Wait is that a game?
I mean in the end of it all go with whatever you like best, but I actually disagree with most people that have posted. The helment looks almost perfect. I could imagine a "Knight of the Old Republic" wearing it. Especially a dual bladed jedi. I can actually picture a soldier being killed and then a jedi in a full suit (with a similar design as the helment) coming out of no where and running through blaster fire up to the enemy.

I'm not sure maybe it's just my opinion but I love it the way it is.

Current WIP: Learning to mod Kotor
supreme kotor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2013, 01:58 PM   #764
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

I like it the way it is, i just made suggestions since it sounded like he didn't

Quack
Old 12-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #765
Quanon

Forum Veteran Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Thanks everyone for the comments! Pushing on to get the helmet done. Progress is slow, but at least I know have a better idea on what I want.

@Redrob: I'm know experimenting to create a more suitable ornamentation. Following the shape of the crest. Just messing around with the emboss layer fx things in Photoshop.

@supreme kotor: Thanks for the defending the 1.0 version
Though I just aim for a certain 'realisme' on my model/ texture stuff.
And I was a bit doubtfull on how to proceed with the thing, at the time it didn't feel good enough for me. So I asked my fellow modders for a bit of input

Here's how the helmet is layed out in Photoshop:

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Quanon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2013, 02:49 PM   #766
redrob41
Veteran

Current Game: just modding TSL
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Now, I'm not suggesting that you use this design, but I wanted to point out how the gold pattern doesn't "overtake" the whole mask. The white base of the mask still takes up about 75-80% of the surface.
Jedi Temple Guard

There's lots of nice Jedi design swirls in the Tython Jedi temple, both inside and out.

Here, again, the gold and black onyx are details and highlights, not the main part of the helmet. The fin is nice, because it has a small scene depicted.
Iron Helmet Stock Photos

Maybe you could use the Great Hyperspace Bas-Relief for something similar on the fin?

- Major character artist for the Revenge of Revan mod. -
- List of Completed Mods - Work in Progress Thread - Skinning Tutorial -
redrob41 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2013, 08:13 AM   #767
Quanon

Woot, thanks for those links RedRob. I had considered using something alike the bass relief seen in RotS. As it really gives off that 'ancient' and historic feel.

Didn't know Bioware and the Clone War cartoons used the flower motief so openly for the jedi. Was a bit afraid that would not be considered proper styling

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 12-11-2013, 12:35 PM   #768
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
Quote:
Now, I'm not suggesting that you use this design, but I wanted to point out how the gold pattern doesn't "overtake" the whole mask. The white base of the mask still takes up about 75-80% of the surface.
Jedi Temple Guard
When I originally saw Q's helmet, the mohawk actually reminded me of this helmet.
Show spoiler

I like redrob's helmet suggestion better though.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-22-2014, 04:39 PM   #769
Quanon

Still working on the helmet. Though my 3D time has been taken by another project somewhat. Here's what I'm doing right now. Taken inspiration from the Art Noveau lines; slowly filling in the crest of the helmet.

Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 01-24-2014, 10:48 AM   #770
Quanon

Another minor update. Helmet keeps evolving, still a few issues left to solve. But I like the feel of it. More then with my previous attempts. Comments are still welcome

Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 01-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #771
Canderis
Mercenary

Current Game: Skyrim
Veteran Modder Helpful! 
I almost feel like the white and grey should be switched. Looking great though!!

Canderis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 01:26 PM   #772
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
I love it. Much less busy than it was before, even though the designs are more prominent. I like the gray where it is, personally.

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 05:37 PM   #773
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Maybe you should switch the white and gray and compare the two helmets.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-24-2014, 06:28 PM   #774
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Now it actually looks like plate metal with a design painted on it . The face doesn't look quite like embossed metal, but the tiger stripes down the fin DO look like they are recessed down and filled with paint. Maybe it's because the face plate is convex (and pushed out), so the only thing that looks recessed is the eye slit. Once you've settled on a design, maybe you could model the embossing into 3D?

As for the face design, it looks like it has a nose (it's a bit comical to me), and the black on white around the eyes looks a bit too much like Kiss face paint in my mind.

Old 01-24-2014, 07:23 PM   #775
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quanon View Post
Another minor update. Helmet keeps evolving, still a few issues left to solve. But I like the feel of it. More then with my previous attempts. Comments are still welcome

Show spoiler
That looks amazing, Q!

...Is there any way to make the visor part glow/pulsate?

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2014, 05:43 AM   #776
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by LDR View Post
Maybe you should switch the white and gray and compare the two helmets.
I'll see if I can manage that. To be honest; I'm somewhat sloppy in photoshop so it might turn out to be a bit to much work to switch the colours just like that.

Quote:
Now it actually looks like plate metal with a design painted on it . The face doesn't look quite like embossed metal, but the tiger stripes down the fin DO look like they are recessed down and filled with paint. Maybe it's because the face plate is convex (and pushed out), so the only thing that looks recessed is the eye slit. Once you've settled on a design, maybe you could model the embossing into 3D?
Yeah, I used the same effects though on the crest and facial plate. But doesn't seem to work that well. I guess I might have to play around with light shadows to make it more 'pop' down/ up

Well it needs some more work
Quote:
As for the face design, it looks like it has a nose (it's a bit comical to me), and the black on white around the eyes looks a bit too much like Kiss face paint in my mind.
Kiss? Oh dear!

Hahaha, it's always suprising how something turns out differantly when it gets mirrored.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Strides 2 View Post
That looks amazing, Q!

...Is there any way to make the visor part glow/pulsate?
The visor is a second seperate texture; so, yes it will glow in the game. Pulsating no sure if I can pull that off properly.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 01-26-2014, 06:20 AM   #777
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Helpful! 
Quote:
The visor is a second seperate texture; so, yes it will glow in the game. Pulsating no sure if I can pull that off properly.
Admittedly my knowledge in texturing is somewhat rusty, but...

It seems to me that you can use the .txi on the visor texture to animate it, and then have the texture cycle between "good glow" and "subdued glow". This of course depends on how you're making the visor glow in the first place(lights, texturing, alpha layer, .etc)...

Old 02-16-2014, 07:27 AM   #778
Quanon

Quote:
It seems to me that you can use the .txi on the visor texture to animate it, and then have the texture cycle between "good glow" and "subdued glow". This of course depends on how you're making the visor glow in the first place(lights, texturing, alpha layer, .etc)...
Yes, but the animation loop is quiete fast or you would need a big texture; with many frames to slow it down. It would look like a strobe light instead of a sturdy pulse.

Anyways, the helmet is a bit on a rest; I had some lightsaber hilts floating about. Felt like it was time to give them a texture.

Here's how things look so far. Mind work on the middle one has just started. Saber on the left and right I consider done. Just need to pick a blade colour and do the exporting part. Plus setting up an item file ofcourse. Oh, and place them somewhere in the game.

Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 02-16-2014, 02:02 PM   #779
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo 3
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
I really like the marble texture on the one to the right! The one on the left looks pretty wicked too, if a little uncomfortable to hold.

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-16-2014, 09:30 PM   #780
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Helpful! 
Quote:
Yes, but the animation loop is quiete fast or you would need a big texture; with many frames to slow it down. It would look like a strobe light instead of a sturdy pulse.
All I'm gonna say is that the fps setting in the .txi can take decimals less than one...

For example, the .txi for the first dantooine animated skybox had the fps at something close to 0.00334598374 frames per second, which resulted in about a minute to a minute and a half between the frames...

Old 02-25-2014, 04:24 PM   #781
Quanon

Quote:
All I'm gonna say is that the fps setting in the .txi can take decimals less than one...

For example, the .txi for the first dantooine animated skybox had the fps at something close to 0.00334598374 frames per second, which resulted in about a minute to a minute and a half between the frames...
: Now I feel absolutely like an idiot :

I've done animated textures before with an TXI file. I was certain I'dd seen it all there was to see about the TXI thing... Ah, well, just shows an old dog CAN learn new tricks.

Big thanks for that insight Fair Strides

Have a slow steady progress on the saberhilts. Last one is nearing completion, skin/ texture wise. Almost done. Then I need to setup the UTI files; give each an unique story and 'powers'. And figure out how I should sprinkle them throughout the game for players to find.

Pictures!

Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 02-25-2014, 08:39 PM   #782
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Quote:
Then I need to setup the UTI files; give each an unique story and 'powers'. And figure out how I should sprinkle them throughout the game for players to find.
Or offer the lightsabers to folks with large scale mods and let them find a place for your sabers? I think I know a certain twi'lek that your new saber would work well with. . .

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Old 02-25-2014, 09:18 PM   #783
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Helpful! 
Quote:
: Now I feel absolutely like an idiot :

I've done animated textures before with an TXI file. I was certain I'dd seen it all there was to see about the TXI thing... Ah, well, just shows an old dog CAN learn new tricks.

Big thanks for that insight Fair Strides
To be fair, it was one of those things you have to try, all the while thinking "This is never gonna work!". Malkior had asked how I had intended to animate the skyboxes. I then mentioned TXIs and he posted on here about animating textures. This prompted either Prime, Disbeliever, or some other rare modder to post the info and it got added as a tutorial.

I threw the number of frames into the calculator, divided by the time interval involved, and then threw the number into the txi file. I was not sure if it would even work...

Old 03-16-2014, 07:41 AM   #784
Quanon

So I've got my hilts working in the game. And I've already setup the placeables where the hilts will be found. I've been peeking at the scripts, but I'm a bit at a loss where I should let my spawning scripts fire. And how I should use the TSL patcher to include my scripts without breaking everybodies game, who uses my mod...

Any tips are welcome.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 03-17-2014, 08:17 AM   #785
Quanon

Another tiny update. The lightsaber hilt pack is almost ready to ship out ^_^
Had to relearn on how to spawn objects into the game via dialogues.

I've picked most dialogues that start automaticly, though the hilts won't appear in the inventory magicaly.
You'll have to look around the area a bit.

Planets where one of the hilts can be found:

-Taris
-Dantooine
-Tatooine

I'll add a small spoiler section to the readme, also for compatibility issues; which npcs dialogues where edited.
If all goes well, tonight ( my local time ) or tomorrow the mod will be up for download.

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 03-17-2014, 08:25 AM   #786
Marius Fett
Frigged if I know!

Lookin' good, Q!

Nice selection of hilts there! ^_^

Why is it every time I check your thread I get the urge to reinstall the games and modding tools though, eh?

Visit the new JediKnight.net!
Marius Fett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2014, 01:45 PM   #787
Quanon

Héh, thanks Marius!

Okay, another tiny update for today. Scripting and testing has finished. Everything works, yahoo! Though to give it a real polished finish, I'll be using the TSL patcher. Perhaps for such a simple mod it's not really required. But it's just that much easier for the you guys, the users
Plus I've got learn this stuff!

Anyway, here's a peek at those 4 saberhilts:
Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 03-17-2014, 02:25 PM   #788
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Looks excellent, Q! Really looking forward to the release.

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2014, 02:43 PM   #789
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Quote:
Anyway, here's a peek at those 4 saber hilts . . .
Gorgeous stuff! It is a pity that these hilts won't be in VP's package.

Or am I completely wrong about that?

Old 03-17-2014, 04:34 PM   #790
Christos K
Forumite

^Not that it really matters (in regards for them being in "USM2") but these sabers are for K1.

"It's the one that says Bad Mother ****er." - Jules Winnfield... Describing his wallet, Pulp Fiction.
Christos K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-17-2014, 05:04 PM   #791
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post

Here's a post from early in VP's thread:
Quote:
Here's a preview for my part of the mod, modelwise. Not as highpoly as above and differant; but that's a good thing isn't it?

Show spoiler
They do look much nicer now that they've been skinned. Excellent job as always Quanon . How do they look in-game?

Old 03-18-2014, 08:46 AM   #792
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Looks excellent, Q! Really looking forward to the release.
Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post

I thought VP dumped the idea using these hilts?
Must have misread that in his WIP thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christos K View Post
^Not that it really matters (in regards for them being in "USM2") but these sabers are for K1.
Yes, atm, these are for K1 only. Though I see no problem in passing along my files to VP. It's not much work to make these models work in TSL.

Quote:
They do look much nicer now that they've been skinned. Excellent job as always Quanon . How do they look in-game?
I still need to do some proper shots of the hilts in the game.
I did make these quickshots:

Show spoiler

ITS OUT!
CLICK ME

TIQUILAAAAAAAA

Last edited by Quanon; 03-18-2014 at 12:50 PM.
Old 03-18-2014, 05:33 PM   #793
Quanon

Helmet that puts Knight into Jedi Knight >

Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Old 03-18-2014, 08:02 PM   #794
Malxados
Rookie

Current Game: Warframe, SC Blacklist, KOTOR1
Quote:
Helmet that puts Knight into Jedi Knight >

Show spoiler
Nice! Good work. Not to be lame, but is there any chance you'd release such a helmet with a somewhat blander texture (that blends in a bit more)?

"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." (Romans 5:8, NKJV)
"For the wages of sin is death, but the gift of God is eternal life in Christ Jesus our Lord." (Romans 6:23, NKJV)

Ask me about my sig!

Bao-Dur: I'll take the one who was stupid enough to threaten us instead of shoot us when he had the chance.

k_inc_force bothers me.
Malxados is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-18-2014, 09:26 PM   #795
DuckfromPortal
Rookie

I like it, it seems like a jedi guardian in a time of vast war would wear it, I don't know thats just the vibe i get from it

Quack
Old 03-18-2014, 10:01 PM   #796
Darth InSidious
A handful of dust.

Current Game: KotOR II
Looks good, Q!

Works-In-Progress
~
Mods Released
~
Quid existis in desertum videre?
Darth InSidious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2014, 01:51 AM   #797
CptPriceless

That helmet looks awesome. Good stuff!

CptPriceless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2014, 02:53 AM   #798
Zhaboka
Applesauce Tractor

Veteran Modder 
Hilts look fan-flippin-tastic in-game.

Thank you Gorgod.
Zhaboka is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-19-2014, 06:26 PM   #799
redrob41
Veteran

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Your helmet continues to improve

Old 03-20-2014, 01:16 PM   #800
Quanon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Malxados View Post
Nice! Good work. Not to be lame, but is there any chance you'd release such a helmet with a somewhat blander texture (that blends in a bit more)?
I'll see what I can do for a second skin for this helmet. Less ornamentation.
I assume you want it more 'basic' looking. With bolts on and just metal or plastic looking. Rather then all this 'pomp'.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckfromPortal View Post
I like it, it seems like a jedi guardian in a time of vast war would wear it, I don't know thats just the vibe i get from it
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth InSidious View Post
Looks good, Q!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CptPriceless View Post
That helmet looks awesome. Good stuff!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zhaboka View Post
Hilts look fan-flippin-tastic in-game.
Thanks for all the praise guys!

Quote:
Your helmet continues to improve
I've decided it's finished. I won't touch the texture anymore. I've messed around with it enough so far.

And testing has thrown up an annoying problem I've had before. It's to dark. Somehow the color of the mesh mixes with the texture. Not nice. And I can't remember how I fixed this sort of thing in the past.

I've altered the diffuse and ambient settings in the ASCII file of my model to white before compiling. Thought it would have profound effects in the game, but no. I even kicked out the Alpha channel.

So far this is how it looks in game: On far left and right; the bling effect is 'on', though I had to rotate the camera to make my texture pop up. Else it's all blurry dark. No details.

Center is the result of switching of the bling effect; you see the texture but it's waaaaay to dark. Plus an odd red tint to it aswell

Show spoiler

TIQUILAAAAAAAA
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Quanons Crazy Projects!