lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [News] Gareth Edwards (Godzilla 2014) to Direct Star Wars 'Stand-Alone' Film
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-25-2014, 02:00 PM   #1
HED
Rookie

Exclamation [News] Gareth Edwards (Godzilla 2014) to Direct Star Wars 'Stand-Alone' Film

http://starwars.com/news/gareth-edwa...lone-film.html

Quote:
In addition to the episodes of a new Star Wars trilogy, Lucasfilm and Disney have begun development on multiple stand-alone movies that will offer new stories beyond the core Saga. Gareth Edwards will direct the first stand-alone film, with a screenplay by Gary Whitta. The film is due out December 16, 2016.

Gareth Edwards blazed into the filmmaking forefront with his acclaimed work on Monsters, a film he wrote, directed and served on as cinematographer and visual effects artist. The skill and vision readily apparent in Monsters earned him the high-profile spot directing this year's smash hit Godzilla.

"Ever since I saw Star Wars I knew exactly what I wanted to do for the rest of my life -- join the Rebel Alliance! I could not be more excited and honored to go on this mission with Lucasfilm," said Edwards.

Gary Whitta's screenwriting credits include 2010's The Book of Eli starring Denzel Washington. He is also well known as a journalist and editor in the video game industry, as well as part of the BAFTA award-winning team on Telltale Games adaptation of The Walking Dead.

Whitta states, "From the moment I first saw the original movie as a wide-eyed kid, Star Wars has been the single most profound inspiration to my imagination and to my career as a writer. It is deeply special to me,so to be given the opportunity to contribute to its ongoing legacy, especially in collaboration with a film-maker as talented as Gareth, is literally a dream come true. I'm still pinching myself."
Having seen the new Godzilla, I feel better about the choice.

"HOW CAN YU TRET MEH LIKE DAT"
HED is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-25-2014, 04:20 PM   #2
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Gary Whitta.

Ugh...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2014, 12:41 AM   #3
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexrd View Post
Gary Whitta.

Ugh...
I cannot honestly say that I am familiar with anything he's done.

Old 05-27-2014, 08:54 AM   #4
Alexrd

Current Game: UEFA Euro 2004
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally Posted by HED View Post
I cannot honestly say that I am familiar with anything he's done.
While he has written an episode of The Walking Dead video game, film-wise, he's done After Earth. Not to mention his childish internet rant regarding everything Star Wars since 2004. Now he's eating his own words...

Star Wars: In Concert - Lisbon - Some pictures of the exhibition accompanying the event.
Alexrd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2014, 11:49 AM   #5
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Any thoughts on the most likely subject of the stand-alone film? I'm thinking this duo lends itself well to a Boba Fett story.

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2014, 11:50 PM   #6
HED
Rookie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
Any thoughts on the most likely subject of the stand-alone film? I'm thinking this duo lends itself well to a Boba Fett story.
Seeing as monster movies seem to be Edwards' specialty, I'm guessing the story of Malakili and his Rancor.

Old 05-28-2014, 09:50 AM   #7
Gurges-Ahter
Tyler Durden

Quote:
Originally Posted by HED View Post
Seeing as monster movies seem to be Edwards' specialty, I'm guessing the story of Malakili and his Rancor.
Haha... Malakili was such a big softie. Maybe we'll see a Krayt Dragon?

Gurges-Ahter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-11-2014, 12:52 PM   #8
GrandMasterMarek
Rookie

Current Game: Star Wars the force unleashed
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurges-Ahter View Post
Haha... Malakili was such a big softie. Maybe we'll see a Krayt Dragon?
Im sure they have quite a list of beasts to unleash on these movies I hope our stand alone character is ready.

The force lives forever it is what we do with it that reveals who we really are.
GrandMasterMarek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Sequel Trilogy > [News] Gareth Edwards (Godzilla 2014) to Direct Star Wars 'Stand-Alone' Film