lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: [TSL] HK-51 as he appears in SWTOR
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-09-2014, 04:30 PM   #1
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Current Game: The Old Republic
Forum Veteran Folder extraordinaire Helpful! Alderaan News Holopics contributor 
[TSL] HK-51 as he appears in SWTOR

OK, a new request. Those that despise SWTOR may wish to avert their eyes.

I'd like to get a skin for HK-51 that resembles his appearance in the teaser trailer. They do show his whole front -excluding the arms - in a slow upward pan. I attempted to stitch them together so folks would have a reference to compare against. (Due to the way the scene is lighted, the stitches in the picture compilation are very noticeable.)

Note the lights that are not only on his eyes, face, and chest but also the blue lights coming out of the top of hip joints.

Clicking on the picture should bring you to the Photobucket page where you should see the picture in its full size after you click on the magnifying glass. (It's large, I tells ya.)

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Sith Holocron is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-10-2014, 05:21 AM   #2
Shaggoth

i say, we must port almost everything from tor )) (by port, i mean remake from scratch, or reskin) cause graphically, tor is better, but kotors are way more enjoyable in many ways )

[ about.me ]
Shaggoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
majesticmadman
Rookie

Do you want this just as a skin or as a new model? Also is it to replace HK-47 or the HK-50 bounty hunters
majesticmadman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-14-2014, 03:21 PM   #4
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Quote:
Originally Posted by majesticmadman View Post
Do you want this just as a skin or as a new model? Also is it to replace HK-47 or the HK-50 bounty hunters
Re-read the third sentence in my request.

Considering trying out (or returning to) SWTOR? You may as well go through my link and help get me some SWTOR referral points!
Old 07-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #5
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

10 year veteran! Forum Veteran Helpful! 
I'm not sure how practical a straight reskin is, at least not with the level of detail you want. The texture layout is not super conducive to straying from simple blocks of colour. Ideally you'd remap the HK model, but unfortunately, like most of the KOTOR models, it's a mess. It's made up of about 35 individual meshes, many of which themselves comprise multiple separate poly groups.

I have to wonder if you wouldn't be better off just making a new model from scratch.

Leaving that aside, simulating the emissive would be difficult. You can't get that sort of effect even with an engine that supports emissive textures (the actual TOR in-game model is nothing like that). You could maybe try and bake some lighting into the texture, but I can't see it being possible with the mapping of the vanilla HK model, as there would be too much bleed/overrun onto other parts of the model.

Last edited by DarthParametric; 07-15-2014 at 03:00 PM.
DarthParametric is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-15-2014, 06:35 PM   #6
Sith Holocron
M4-78

If someone wants to make a new model for HK-51, I am also open to that as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarthParametric View Post
Leaving that aside, simulating the emissive would be difficult. You can't get that sort of effect even with an engine that supports emissive textures (the actual TOR in-game model is nothing like that). You could maybe try and bake some lighting into the texture, but I can't see it being possible with the mapping of the vanilla HK model, as there would be too much bleed/overrun onto other parts of the model.
Also . . . if someone wishes to base the skin for-51 as he appears in the actual SWTOR game -with less lighting - I am also open to that as well.

Last edited by Sith Holocron; 07-16-2014 at 08:28 AM. Reason: Added information
Old 07-16-2014, 12:00 PM   #7
majesticmadman
Rookie

I myself can't do very good "creature" modeling and texturing but would like this to use in my combined galaxy to, if that's alright with you sith holocron as it's your idea. If so anyone who is willing to create it can I have permission to use it to. Thanks
Old 07-16-2014, 02:29 PM   #8
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Just as long as if someone does this skin, it is also released separately.

Old 07-17-2014, 07:49 AM   #9
majesticmadman
Rookie

yeah, you just use the look file and I can take a version and copy it in. That's fine
Old 07-19-2014, 01:31 PM   #10
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

So I took a crack at a new model. Went for a body that more or less imitates the SWTOR version (although added some gubbins to the forearms and reused the original HK hands because I'm lazy). I don't like the look of the head of the TOR version though, so I took the original HK head and gave it a a bit of a facelift, adding some edge loops to smooth out the bumps, adding in some geometry for the vocabulator, and generally cleaning up the typical horribleness of Bioware meshes. My model actually ended up more detailed than the TOR version, as they use normal maps to fake everything and keep the models low poly, whereas I used actual geometry seeing as KOTOR lacks any normal mapping ability.

I've done a brief test in-game and it seems to work ok, flashing eyes included (going to see if I can co-opt the effect for the chest light as well). I did notice when running through his animset in Max that he gets a bit of hip dysplasia in certain extreme animations though. I'll have to see what I can do about that (might have to move the hip socket geometry over to the pelvis trimesh, or perhaps add them in as meshes weighted to both the pelvis and upper legs).

No texture as yet, as that's not really my thing. I might have to do something basic and leave the proper job to one of the skinning pros.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:35 PM   #11
majesticmadman
Rookie

looks good, like it quite a lot, but not sure if just me or camera angle but the chest looks a little to high so you see to much of the spine but just my opinion
Old 07-19-2014, 04:59 PM   #12
Phildevil

Hang on... was that from scratch? Because if it was, congratulation, that's amazing!

[TSL]Twin Sun to Asari mod: http://lucasforums.com/showthread.php?t=215135
My Mass Effect 3 Let's Play with great mods:
https://www.youtube.com/playlist?lis...2ABayfc2whWsP-
Phildevil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2014, 06:20 PM   #13
Sith Holocron
M4-78

That's looking great, DarthParametric! Once you have animations conquered, it seems you'd be ready for release.

Edit: Would melee animations be included?

Last edited by Sith Holocron; 07-19-2014 at 10:47 PM.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:54 PM   #14
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phildevil View Post
Hang on... was that from scratch?
Yes, aside from the head and the hands, which are from the original HK model, as I mentioned. Although the head had some extensive reworking:

If you crack open HK's head and peer inside, you'll see some typical early Bioware half-assery in action. You could argue that the internal intersections are out of sight, so it was probably done to keep things light for the Xbox, except doing it properly takes less polys. I just put it down to laziness.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sith Holocron View Post
Would melee animations be included?
It uses HK's existing animations. There are a couple of simple melee ones in there, but there's nothing new. This is just a simple model swap. When I mentioned animations, it was only in the context of fixing the model to work properly with the animations without distortion/breaking, not adding new ones.
Old 07-20-2014, 12:58 AM   #15
milestails

This is great work!
milestails is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #16
Shaggoth

i'll be damned 8[ ]

[ about.me ]
Shaggoth is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2014, 12:41 PM   #17
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Ugh. Now I remember why I stopped modding KOTOR last time. Damn MDLOps. Bane of my freaking existence. Anyway, after about 20 or 30 attempts, I finally managed to get a model in-game without a mangled UV map (if you look at my earlier posts, you'll see grey "stripes" on various parts on his body - that's where MDLOps screwed up the UVs).

Also got the chest lights hooked up:

Now I just need to figure out some textures....
Old 07-20-2014, 01:36 PM   #18
Sith Holocron
M4-78

DP, this model of yours is so nice that perhaps I should expand the scope to adding skins for HK-47 and HK-50. What do you think?

Old 07-20-2014, 02:24 PM   #19
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
DP, this model of yours is so nice that perhaps I should expand the scope to adding skins for HK-47 and HK-50. What do you think?
Hey, I'd be happy with the model as-is, as a modder's resource!

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2014, 04:15 PM   #20
LDR
Your Death Angel

Current Game: Halo: Master Chief Collection
Helpful! Roleplayer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member 
Quote:
Maybe it could be an HK model replacement?

And DP, this is absolutely stunning. Keep it up!

Forgive, but never forget. No amount of DLC can take back lying to your fan base. Trust is earned, not downloaded.

My Mods
Current Mod Thread
LDR is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2014, 09:17 PM   #21
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Yes, I always figured it would be a replacement for all 3 HK variants, with just a texture swap as appropriate. Possibly I may even model the SWTOR head for HK-51, or just as an optional extra all round.
Old 07-20-2014, 10:27 PM   #22
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Such excellence in modelmanship hmm i was planning to do some robot reskins in the future after my current project.

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
xediixarwarz.com

NEXTGEN PICZ
Show spoiler
Xarwarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2014, 02:23 PM   #23
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Got a first pass on 47's texture done:

Still need to fix a few spots, maybe tweak the colour a bit.

In lieu of any provision for spec maps (man, you really notice it coming back to KOTOR after working with modern engines), I was hoping I could mix in a bit of envmap to shine up a few spots, but it ignored my alpha channel for some reason.
Old 07-21-2014, 10:29 PM   #24
Xarwarz
Forumite

Veteran Modder 
Looking good man i wish it could retain the rendered look while in game play. nevertheless top notch work

USE MY MOD IN ANY MOD
xediixarwarz.com

NEXTGEN PICZ
Show spoiler
Xarwarz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2014, 03:01 PM   #25
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

I redid 47's texture. I think it is pretty much done now, aside from a couple of minor tweaks. Some pics:

Now on to the 50/51 textures.
Old 07-23-2014, 04:25 PM   #26
Fair Strides 2
Witty Programmer

Current Game: Master of Orion 2
Helpful! 
Quote:
I redid 47's texture. I think it is pretty much done now, aside from a couple of minor tweaks. Some pics:

Show spoiler

Now on to the 50/51 textures.

Is it possible to make the light for his chest piece more powerful? Not texture-wise, but the light in the model itself?

All of my mods are available on Deadlystream.

Always remember modders: "Quality= Effort*Time"

KSE 3.3.4 is LIVE!!! Check it out here.

Check out WalkSwitch, the Walkmesh-changing tool!
Fair Strides 2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2014, 05:12 PM   #27
Sith Holocron
M4-78

Does the new light blink like the eyes do when HK speaks?

Old 07-23-2014, 08:55 PM   #28
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Current Game: Deus Ex series
Contest winner - Modding 
Very nice work so far, but I have a couple suggestions.

1.There is a very visible seam on the mouthplate area in those closeup screenshots, which lets through the same light as the eyes/chestpiece. This should be patched up.

2. Could we have some shiny shader added to the texture, and make it look more weathered as well? Kinda like Svosh's, found here - http://www.angelfire.com/crazy2/xclo...kotor_mods.htm

3. A port of this model to K1, for the love of god, please.

Kainzorus Prime is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2014, 10:26 PM   #29
L0ki194
Rookie

Current Game: A Bunch of Games
Damn, that looks a LOT better compared to his old look. If the model gets ported to K1, it should have a really clean look to it, and for this one add a tiny bit more scratches and bits of paint chipped off to match his original TSL appearance.

My Mods:
L0ki194's Sith Officer Armors: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...fficer-armors/
K1 Player Height Adjustment: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...ht-adjustment/
TSL Player Height Adjustment: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...ht-adjustment/
Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox Mod Loadscreens: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...d-loadscreens/
L0ki194 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-23-2014, 11:35 PM   #30
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fair Strides 2 View Post
Is it possible to make the light for his chest piece more powerful? Not texture-wise, but the light in the model itself?
You can adjust the colour of the self-illumination, but I'm not sure if that changes intensity, or just washes out the texture. The colour used by the vanilla model is a mid-grey. I'll have a play with it, but I wouldn't hold your breath. Don't expect emissive on the order of a modern engine.

Quote:
Does the new light blink like the eyes do when HK speaks?
Yes, the eyes, vocabulator lights, and chest lights all flash when he talks, as per the eyes in the original model.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kainzorus Prime View Post
There is a very visible seam on the mouthplate area in those closeup screenshots, which lets through the same light as the eyes/chestpiece. This should be patched up.
There's no seam. There is purposely a gap in the vocabulator grill. Look at the original texture and the TOR texture.

Quote:
Could we have some shiny shader added to the texture
Apparently not. I tried, but it doesn't seem to want to work properly, as I mentioned earlier. For whatever reason it ignores the alpha mask and applies the envmap to the whole model at 100%. I'll give it a final try before releasing it.

Quote:
make it look more weathered as well?
Not by me. If someone else wants to retexture it at some point to do that, that's fine, but I'm moving on.

Quote:
A port of this model to K1, for the love of god, please.
That was the plan.

Quote:
Originally Posted by L0ki194 View Post
If the model gets ported to K1, it should have a really clean look to it, and for this one add a tiny bit more scratches and bits of paint chipped off to match his original TSL appearance.
The vanilla model uses the same texture in both games. While there is allusion to him being more beaten up in TSL, it's not actually represented on either the model or texture. As for K1, I figured he would be slightly less damaged, but he will still have a worn look.
Old 07-23-2014, 11:40 PM   #31
milestails

Really liking this.
milestails is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-24-2014, 01:47 AM   #32
L0ki194
Rookie

Quote:
The vanilla model uses the same texture in both games. While there is allusion to him being more beaten up in TSL, it's not actually represented on either the model or texture. As for K1, I figured he would be slightly less damaged, but he will still have a worn look.
The texture is slightly changed in TSL, and is no longer shiny as he was in K1.
K1
Show spoiler
TSL
Show spoiler

Either way, it doesn't bother me, as I pretty much use the same texture reskin for both games... I believe it was titled "Polished HK-47" or something...grabbed it off of FileFront a long time ago.

EDIT Found the reskin I mentioned:
Show spoiler

My Mods:
L0ki194's Sith Officer Armors: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...fficer-armors/
K1 Player Height Adjustment: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...ht-adjustment/
TSL Player Height Adjustment: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...ht-adjustment/
Realistic Nar Shaddaa Skybox Mod Loadscreens: http://deadlystream.com/forum/files/...d-loadscreens/

Last edited by L0ki194; 07-24-2014 at 02:06 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:00 AM   #33
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Yes, in K1 he uses an environmental map (i.e. cube map) with the texture to fake reflections, in TSL he doesn't. As I said above, my attempt to apply an envmap to him in TSL resulted in it ignoring my alpha. Looks like I will have to play around with appearance.2da and see what they changed.

Now that I look at some freshly extracted versions of the textures, it seems they did add some discolouration/wear to the TSL texture. I must have accidentally overwritten the K1 version when I was extracting the models, so I thought they were the same.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:06 AM   #34
L0ki194
Rookie

Well, for me, I can't see most of TSL's alpha channeled textures very well, (Dammit Intel...) so no alpha means no semi-invisible HKs. But I hope you figure it out.
Also I just realized, the way HK-51 looks in SWTOR is kind of like a mix between HK-47 and HK-50. HK-51 features a grey paint-job with orange highlights (so it's like a mix of his predecessors), and has an eye color that looks in between 47's Orange eyes and 50's Yellow eyes... maybe Amber or something. I guess it's supposed to signify 51 as being the superior model, being a mix of the two.

My Mods:

Last edited by L0ki194; 07-24-2014 at 02:13 AM.
Old 07-24-2014, 10:16 AM   #35
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Contest winner - Modding 
TSL envmap column in appearance.2da uses the same "Default" argument as K1 version, which is why people have been manually inserting Mycube/CM_Baremetal in there to make the shiny shaders kick in on various characters.

You could do that, and then have another look at the alpha of the texture. If that doesn't work, I volunteer to tinker with it once this mod's released.

Also, as far as the vocabulator lights go, they should be a little more pronounced I think, now that I know they're intentional - they're kidna hard to see from a distance, as seen on the second image of HK and Exile.

And another question, seeing as the HK-51 in the first post seems to have a different, non-flat vocabulator, will you make that alteration for HK-50s/51s or use the same model as HK-47?

Old 07-24-2014, 12:02 PM   #36
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

As I said earlier, I may model the TOR head for 51. Not sure yet. Would be a nice break from dealing with textures though.

As to the envmap issue, I sorted it out. It's useful for picking up all the scratches, but it's not really something you can see in a screenshot. It probably needs a video to demonstrate.
Old 07-24-2014, 02:43 PM   #37
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Contest winner - Modding 
I recommend taking a shot in a dark area like the cache on Dxun with all the construction droids, or any darker bit on Nar Shaddaa. The envmaps show well that way.

Old 07-25-2014, 12:24 PM   #38
DarthParametric
I bent my Wookiee

Modelled 51's head:

Old 07-25-2014, 12:44 PM   #39
Sith Holocron
M4-78

DarthParametric, you are going above and beyond what I asked for. Bravo!

Last edited by Sith Holocron; 07-25-2014 at 12:55 PM.
Old 07-25-2014, 01:51 PM   #40
Kainzorus Prime
My vision is augmented

Contest winner - Modding 
Quote:
Modelled 51's head:

Aw. Yis.

Now it will actually reflect that the subsequent generations are actually -different- in some aspects from HK-47, as opposed to just being repaints.

Do you plan on porting that one to K1 too, as an optional replacement?

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Modding requests > [TSL] HK-51 as he appears in SWTOR