lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: No balance if gunners use force
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 03-14-2002, 02:08 AM   #1
Ari-Ben Kenobi

No balance if gunners use force

Hey,

Were all happy yes that JK II is just 2 weeks (!!) away. However, I am unsure or not if I saw it in the trailer, but sabres will suck just as bad in mp as it did in JKI if gunners use the force. The force is what lets Jedi succesfully use such a short range weapon versus amored men with ray guns heat beams and the like is the force. If gunners can use the force, than that totally upsets the balance of power between sabre users and gunners in combined battles. I really hope that Raven didn't do this, but if they did sadly there is nothing we can do about this. What is your opinion?

Kenobi

"It will be a hard life, one without reward, without remorse, without regret. A path will be placed before you, the choice, is yours alone. Do what you think you cannot do. It will be a hard life, but you will find out, who you are."
Ari-Ben Kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 02:14 AM   #2
TUS_Tomcat

And you know this, how?

Did you play it yet

Anyway i have good hopes for balance, but, if it isnt, then i say, join no force games, or sabers only games

Still i think itll be balanced

Founder of the PWSL

Pro White Sabercore League

(non racist organisation!)
TUS_Tomcat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 02:15 AM   #3
Redwing
thedeadlymoose

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
That doesn't make sense.

"The force is what lets Jedi succesfully use such a short range weapon versus amored men with ray guns heat beams and the like..."

So the Jedi use the Force to assist successful use of their saber against guns. Gotcha so far.

"If gunners can use the force, than that totally upsets the balance of power between sabre users and gunners in combined battles."

But gunners don't have/use the lightsaber. So how can they have the advantage, if the Jedi advantage is to use the Force to assist saber use?

"I really hope that Raven didn't do this, but if they did sadly there is nothing we can do about this"

"sadly"? I'd be sad if they did turn off the Force in a deathmatch if you picked up a gun. How incredibly LAME. How very NOT Star Wars. =/

Redwing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 04:48 AM   #4
Necro

what he means is that if u have saber u should be able 2 use force stuff 'cause if ur using a stormtrooper rifle and grip it gives u an advantage compared to saber and grip!
Necro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 04:54 AM   #5
Hoowl

In MP in JK, if someone had a sabre, you could just shoot them with a alternate fire railgun shot or get them with the imperial repeater rifle as it had such a high rate of fire they couldn't block all the shots.

As long as you can defend youself against all weapons with the lightsabre i don't think it will matter whether non-sabre users could use the force or not.
Hoowl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 01:51 PM   #6
DeathBoLT

Quote:
but sabres will suck just as bad in mp as it did in JKI if gunners use the force.
wrong. the reason the saber wasn't effective agaisnt gunners was the fact that it was so difficult to land a hit once you got close. with pixel pixel collision dection and the improved netcode, the saber is looking to become one of the most powerful weapons, if not THE most powerful weapon in the game. denying a gunner force would severly imbalance the game with the saber becoming unreasonably powerful.

#nar
irc.enterthegame
#nar.. THE channel for Jedi Knight 2 players
DeathBoLT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 02:01 PM   #7
StAtilXl

thats why you will play either guns or sabers... ff , nf that way there is no advantage to 1 side
but who knows they might be even.
i trust raven itll kick ass

StAtilXl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #8
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up

Btw, in JK1, it was quite possible to block ALL the shots from a repeater. The way to get past a saber user with that gun was to use a sustained SECONDARY FIRE (since it fires three shots at once, and at least one always gets through and hits them, even if they block the other two). The other simple way to get past the saber blocking was to aim for the crotch or back of the person (they would have to turn to compensate, assuming they couldn't pull your weapon away or attack you with the force to screw up your aim).
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 02:05 PM   #9
TUS_Tomcat

Quote:
Originally posted by DeathBoLT

with pixel pixel collision dection

you mean poly(gon) to poly(gon) right?

Founder of the PWSL

Old 03-14-2002, 02:08 PM   #10
DeathBoLT

whatever

#nar
irc.enterthegame
#nar.. THE channel for Jedi Knight 2 players
DeathBoLT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 06:04 PM   #11
madrebel

Quote:
Originally posted by TUS_Tomcat

you mean poly(gon) to poly(gon) right?

there is such a thing as per pixel hit detection.

my opinion

jk2 saber will be alot better for one main reason. everyone can saber throw.
madrebel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 09:19 PM   #12
Lnt. Kechtt

I never saw it as unbalanced to go against an oppenant with guns and the force with just a sabre. A lot of the fun of using a sabre vs guns is trying to get close to the person, or sneaking up on them. Where's the challange if you can get up close with the sabre and kill them with a secondary swing (jk1) when they only have a gun that can't do that? I've played friends with guns and force powers and they've had the sabre and the whole idea is trying to keep the right amount of distance for shooting and not having them pull the gun or reflect the shots back at me. I don't know about you, I it's harder then it looks. Those little light swords are more then a match for any blaster.

You watching the hand!? (Thwack!) You should have been watching the foot.

Yub, Yub Everyone!
Lnt. Kechtt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-14-2002, 10:57 PM   #13
ryudom

i think if you threw in a bunch of people who didn't have much skills in sabering, the people with rail guns or repeater would win for sure. i don't use much force when i play (just neutral and heal) but i still find i can take out most gun users... you just have to know how to go about it, imo.
if you charge someone with a repeater while swinging, you'll be dead in no time. if you let them shoot you and block the shoots, well they'll be dead in no time with no effort on your part.
ryudom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 02:22 AM   #14
Redwing
thedeadlymoose

10 year veteran! LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
Quote:
Originally posted by DeathBoLT

wrong. the reason the saber wasn't effective agaisnt gunners was the fact that it was so difficult to land a hit once you got close. with pixel pixel collision dection and the improved netcode, the saber is looking to become one of the most powerful weapons, if not THE most powerful weapon in the game. denying a gunner force would severly imbalance the game with the saber becoming unreasonably powerful.
Exactly.

Redwing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 11:15 AM   #15
DSettahr

There was a good method of solving this used in Mysteries of the Sith- the class system. This prevented those with heavy weapons from using the force, by limiting most force powers to the Jedi class.

You underestimate the power of the Darkside...

DSettahr's Homepage
The Jedi's Saber
DSettahr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 11:50 AM   #16
TrUeFoRcE

no they wont!, watch the first trialer on lucas arts.com ull see that u can block bow caster shots etc.. with ur saber, also vertain force powers give you the ability to dodge other weapons, u cant just sit back and let the game do everything for u u gotta move around a bit to live
TrUeFoRcE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 11:57 AM   #17
Agen
The Spoon Guy

and you have saber throw now so ther's no excuse for gunners having advantages in jk2, especially at level 3. Also will the netcode in jk2 be like EF cos it sucked with all the glitcho vision.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 12:07 PM   #18
Cracken

Location: Less than 12 parsecs from the nearest Twi'lek slave dancer
When in Rome, do as the Romans do. Translation: if you're in a server where nearly everyone is using guns, go pick up a damned gun and get in the game. Remember, JO is NOT an RPG, and they didn't include 10 guns/explosives for nothing.

"Hide a stone among stones and a man among men." General Rokurota, "The Hidden Fortress"
Cracken is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 12:52 PM   #19
Krak3n

Personelly i;m going to try and use a variety of saber and gun combat, but it depends on the situation. I think Guns, sabers and force powers will work very well together, they should compliment each other allowing for some very acrobastic moves. e.g

Saber Battle > Force Jump > Switch to Rocket Launcher while in mid jump > blow up opponent
Krak3n is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-15-2002, 01:26 PM   #20
TUS_Tomcat

I'm going to be a near fulltime Jedi

Yeah I'll use guns from time to time.

But I will try to be saber force guy 90% of the time, just so i can be good at it, like a true Jedi.

The kick of that will be incredible, you know, being so good with saber and force that you can just take on all the gunners. Like the jedi in their prime.

However, it remains to be seen if i can attain such a level of skill

Founder of the PWSL

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > No balance if gunners use force