lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: This is sad, how most people actually saber fight. *READ*
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-14-2002, 08:41 PM   #1
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
This is sad, how most people actually saber fight. *READ*

I was in a server (I'm always using saber, unless someone else uses an Area of Effect weapon against me, in which I also switch to a weapon) and was dueling people. Eventually, something bothered me about everyone trying to defeat me, but I wasn't quite sure what it was.

I finally stopping attacking, and STOOD there IN place. The other person was ALL over the place swinging left and right, doing flips, rolling around, twirling in circles...but he NEVER hit me! I just stood there, watching him has he danced around all over the place. He EVENTUALLY got close enough, where I just kicked him ONCE and he died.

Man, all that effort...poor guy.

Guys, come on. Let's have some REAL saber fights in duels. Stop swinging randomly hoping for a lucky hit.

TO those who DON'T do this, this isn't meant for you.

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 08:46 PM   #2
Valdarious

To tell you the truth, I dont think the majority of the people you see online doing some of these wierd things come to this forum.
Valdarious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 08:46 PM   #3
seanconnery

You speak of the berserkers, a certain species of headless poultry.

Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.
seanconnery is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 08:55 PM   #4
enDless_Deliriu

at the same time, when us reactionary fighters (the people who let the other one make the first move) it can be boring as well. We'll just sit there and taunt each other trying to get the other person to make the first move so we can counter

-----------------------------------------------

One of your resident Star Wars Geeks

The Way We See It
enDless_Deliriu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 08:56 PM   #5
Divine Spirit
Stoked!

Quote:
Originally posted by seanconnery
You speak of the berserkers, a certain species of headless poultry.
LOL!!!

what his reaction to his death?

i hope he took it ok, because then he would be better than some of the other people on the servers
Divine Spirit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 09:08 PM   #6
Kippla

I love the berserkers

Nothings cooler than standing there with them going nuts, then quickly going in, making one good strike and landing then just standing there again. Kinda like a bull and a matador After a few of these they will realise how much they suck and either quit or ask for help.

At least these guys are keen to get dirty tho. Unlike the all too common backwards running drain/grippers.
Kippla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 09:13 PM   #7
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Yes, it must seem odd. Can I just ask...the next time you see one of these, watch for their ping during the game at the end of a match. If it's quite high, that may be an explanation...because I'm probably guilty of this myself at times. With heavy lag, and forced into a saber fight...I usually just go in swingin'-and-grinnin' hoping for a lucky hit. Saber defence against an opponent you see intermittently skipping across the screen is a tad difficult.

And sometimes the server spends half a minute catching up with all your actions...so it looks like a demented Russian dance...
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 09:28 PM   #8
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

LOL what a brilliant idea. It is now my quest to accurately reproduce a traditional Cossack dance in JO.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 09:30 PM   #9
The D

How do you kick??
The D is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 09:31 PM   #10
VSAF

sings "can can, can you do the can can" while doing the can can while playing JO while typing this post while typing while while wondering if i spelt while right while i think the word while looks abit funny while messing with my wang clip
VSAF is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 09:52 PM   #11
Cracked

Quote:
Originally posted by VSAF
sings "can can, can you do the can can" while doing the can can while playing JO while typing this post while typing while while wondering if i spelt while right while i think the word while looks abit funny while messing with my wang clip
Which brings us to out next point everyone. Don't do crack.
Cracked is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 10:13 PM   #12
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Is CrackED a program for synthesising designer drugs?

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 10:30 PM   #13
S!TH!NAT0R

ROFLMAO!! -I have run across alot of those cheap-saber wh0rez on bad-crack you speak of as well! -I usually just stand there with my saber off for a minute or so watching the show while occasionally rolling outta the way a couple times before I just put them out of thier blind-rage misery

My System......
-WinXP Corp.
-350w PS
-Maxtor 40GB HD x2
-Crucial 512MB pc2100 ram x2
-EPOX 8kha+ mobo(latest bios & VIA drivers except VIA BM IDE)
-Atlon TB 1.4mhz cpu
-Thermalright SK6 copper HS w/ YS Tech 7500rpm fan
-Visiontek GF3 Ti500 VC(23.11 drivers)
-SB Audigy gamer SC
-Sony 56x cd-drive
-TDK 16/10/40x cdrw-drive
-Klipsch Promedia V2-400 speaker set
-Logitech Internet Navigator KB
-Logitech Mouseman Duel-Optical mouse
-Samsung 900IFT 19" Monitor
S!TH!NAT0R is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 10:40 PM   #14
stellerwinds

This would be easy to fix if mp servers had the same optional setting as a sp game.

Just set g_sabermovespeed -1 and no more spazzfests

that makes it so that whenever you swing your saber you can barely move
much more like the real thing from the movies
stellerwinds is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 10:47 PM   #15
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Lol

"You speak of the berserkers, a certain species of headless poultry."

Ahh, that gave me a good laugh

Old 04-14-2002, 10:50 PM   #16
VSAF

crack crack gimmie some crack crack....
VSAF is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 11:21 PM   #17
Zek

Stranger yet is the fact that the bots are programmed to be even worse; at Jedi Master difficulty, they'll spend half the time running around you if you stand still, and if you face them for a while they'll often run up to you and swing until they die from idle saber impact. The SP bots are nothing like this, and I don't think it's because of the different saber system either.
Zek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-14-2002, 11:38 PM   #18
Kanubis

You know, some people are just kind of lame.. Whilst some people could be criticised for not fighting in a sane way, you're also kind of doing the online equivalent of taking the pi*s out of disabled people here... (a slight exaggeration maybe..)

The fact is God didn't exactly hand out talent in equal measures...
Kanubis is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:26 AM   #19
reserved_name

and some people may have just learnt how to roll/dive/do flips/wall walk etc. and it is pretty fun so maybe they are just doing those moves just for the sake of doing them and/or trying to make those moves automatic (i.e. practising them).. when the novelty wears off, they will start using the moves in a rational way

its the same in any game when you learn some new move or something new in the game (for example long-jumping and tau-jumping in Half-Life, dodging + shock combo in UT, strafe jumping and rocket jumping in Quake 3) many people will be doing it all the time just for the sake of it and just because its something new + fun, and when it has become automatic and they are used to it people will start thinking when is the good time to do each move etc
reserved_name is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:38 AM   #20
Kippla

yeah that's true
I've been accused of bunny hopping, when I was just trying to learn the medium stance special move in mp. It's a lot harder to do than in sp. I hardly ever do it now coz more times than not I'll just hop up in the air and get cut down. I wish they could make the distance-from-opponent a bit broader so it was easier to pull off.

but ah well
Kippla is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:59 AM   #21
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

Yep

It is nearly impossible to hit someone with the medium special attack.

Heh, I went RIGHT Up to an AFK and did it point blank range 3 times and it never hit them. Only good if someone plans on running through you..which is...never?

To others, no, this person was all "uber" and crap, he's the ultimate saber fighter, fear me, try to kill me. That kind of person....well, he sucked...period. He never even hit once.

Old 04-15-2002, 04:36 AM   #22
acdcfanbill
..the wonders I have seen

Imperialist Meatbags Guild Member The Walking Carpets Guild Member LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
i kind of like to use the heavy stance, especially on lower lag servers.... it seems to me there is more skill involved, and it doesnt seem to be all random uber fast hitting all the time... though for some odd reason, ppl dont like it when you kill them with heavy, i guess its cheap because it reaquires more skill to use? or maybe its the one hit kills they dont like

acdcfanbill is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 05:22 AM   #23
BioHazzard

I use a combo of all three stances, and I love berserkers...it reminds me of Robin Hood Men in Tights(it is a rip off of Robin Hood if you havent seen it) where the blind guy is going nuts with a sword and winds up fighting a pole....
BioHazzard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 05:45 AM   #24
Fion

Heavy stance... more skill involved? Are you joking? Everyone just runs around doing the jump-downslash finishing move lol. Even if they don't do that they just do wide arc slashes that can kill in a hit or 2.

If you ask me heavy stance is WAY over powered.. either that or we just haven't figured out the 'finishing move' of light and medium. I prefer medium if I'm fighting someone using heavy.. although I tend to get in more hits over all using anything but that and your just nicking them... plus the ducked/upward slash move catches a lot of poeple off guard.
Fion is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 10:04 AM   #25
skankyhoe

Re: Yep

Quote:
Originally posted by RpTheHotrod
It is nearly impossible to hit someone with the medium special attack.

Heh, I went RIGHT Up to an AFK and did it point blank range 3 times and it never hit them. Only good if someone plans on running through you..which is...never?
Its quite cool if you can pull them (with them ending up on the ground) and then doing it, pushing pushes them too far and they'd be able to get up and react by the time you're floating in the air.

The coolest looking special move, but far.
skankyhoe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 10:33 AM   #26
PurplWulf

I never set my push higher than level 2 for just that reason, I keep my push setting low so that when I knock someone down with it, they're still in reach for a finishing attack.

the purple one
PurplWulf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 10:43 AM   #27
D66

Hello, my name is D66 and I am a recovering Beserker
It wasn't until a 2 hour Duel with one of my friends that I learned to actualy use timing and thought in my attacks. Combining all 3 stances in a perfect dance of death. A heavy opening strike, folowed by a possible medium special attack.. Some light-stance whips if my opponent is damaged or in the recovery after a heavy swing. The key is to change up your stances and use the right tool for the job..
Oh and that medium special does get a wonderful WTF from your oponnent when it lands correctly and tosses his lifeless corpse across the pit
D66 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 10:56 AM   #28
Jedi-Bert

i dont berzerk unless surrounded by enimies in which case i somtimes run away too

most of the time i try to catch them while they are attacking by sidestepping and using the right hand medium slash

for some reason i favor the right side when saber fighting
Jedi-Bert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:02 AM   #29
TasamBladefire

Bahaha. Berserkers are hilarious!!!!

I was dueling one on the duel map inside Cloud City, and I about died from laughter. I rolled down my stairs onto the main platform, and bowed. When I looked up, the decapitated chicken-man was running/jumping/rolling/crouching in my general direction, his saber in light stance, swining the craziest ive ever seen. So I side-rolled twice, and got way behind him, and then drew my saber. He resumed his attack, and started swinging 10 paces away from me. But the dummy didnt even get to me, he fell in the pit. So I sheathed my saber, and looked down in the pit. He was STILL spinning around and around, attacking this way and that. So I just went afk for a few, to wait for him.

5 minutes later, he was back up, and attacking me, when I was afk. Luckily, he hadnt hurt me too bad (I was at 50), so I drew my saber, and flipped backwards to prepare myself. He continued his mad dance, so I rolled straight past him. He jumped in the air and did the special move for medium stance(I hadnt thought him smart enough to change his stance). Luckily, he was facing the opposite direction, and he was about 10 PACES AWAY! LOL. So I just walked up to him, and cut through the back of his neck with a strong swipe.

What a MORON! LOL. I ended up going 10-0 vs. that crowd I think. (this was saber-only, no force-powers)
TasamBladefire is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:06 AM   #30
Digital_Ronin

You mean a slash from the right or to the right?

Well, thing is: all models are right-handed, providing with them better cover for their right body half, because that is where the sword is in most neutral stances - but leaving them more open for attacks from their left in turn.

Now, as an attacker it's their right and yes, it pays to prefer that 'weak' side. It's not MUCH of a difference, but it is a difference.

Digital_Ronin
Digital_Ronin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:12 AM   #31
Jedi-Bert

to the right.

probably because i am right handed.

The heavy stance swing to the left is nice, tends to catch ppl in the head
Jedi-Bert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:36 AM   #32
Jedi_Overlord

I think, perhaps, that as people gain experience, the berserking will stop. If I'm wrong, then I'll enjoy whipping out the repeater and blasting them with the grenade while they dance around.

Use the Force, however you like.

Jedi_Overlord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:46 AM   #33
Chewie Bakker

Angry Berserker dueling

I can't be accused of that. My 56k falls over and dies when I try to play JKII online. D'oh!

"Chewie" Bakker
Chewie Bakker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:45 PM   #34
Trienco

why the repeaters secondary? use the blaster, at least that way that die by a weapon that would never get through if they just stopped swinging around like an idiot for a second *gg*

f@dz http://festini.device-zero.de

"...at least, he fails to appreciate Star Wars, which is a failing of intelligence in my opinion" - Jeanne Cavelos
Trienco is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:56 PM   #35
MrCrusher

I usually stand still without attacking, just blocking their attacks.

Eventually they will bump into your stationary sabre enough times and die.

This doesn't work as well if they are spaz hacking with red stance.
MrCrusher is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:09 PM   #36
Low Rent

beserking sucks...you see a bunch of people spinning around like a bunch of whirling dervishes.
Low Rent is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #37
Hiteche5

mrcrusher

I do the same thing. I just stay still or turn enough to face my openent and light up a cigarette. The yjust twirl and twirl right on to the saber. I think it's funny. Sometimes Iget a "WTF?" and then I try to tech them how to fight sensibly with the saber. The more you get people into playing with the saber properly the better the game is going to get online. So be open to people mmmkayyy?

The Rodney Dangerfield of forums
Hiteche5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:50 PM   #38
Darth Seph

I watched my mate perform a classy reinactment of the Raiders of the lost Arc. The bit when the guy with the swords come out and puts on a show and Indiana just shoots the guy. Well on the server this guy stood in front of my mate dancing with his saber , my mate just pulled out the crossbow after watching him trying to impress him for about 2-3 minutes

I'll Kill you and your Dreams tonight ,
embrace the Empire of the Vampire
Darth Seph is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > This is sad, how most people actually saber fight. *READ*