lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Kyle getting too old for another adventure??
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-15-2002, 03:17 AM   #1
aZn-Dragon

Kyle getting too old for another adventure??

hi, i just noticed, out of everyone in the game, kyle seems to be the only one showing age. luke still looks the same, jan looks young still, mon mothma looks the same, and even lando still looks like his normal age.

kyle katarn has been the only character who has shown signs of aging. look at him in dark forces, jedi knight, and jedi outcast. he is starting to grow grey hair, and his face looks more matured. (he actually kinda looks like anomen from baldurs gate 2 in the cinematics in jedi knight: dark forces 2)
aZn-Dragon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 05:33 AM   #2
BioHazzard

Cant wait for JK 10....Kyle goes through trials to get a little rascal scooter....
BioHazzard is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:13 AM   #3
CM_Third

Lets see JK3: Kyle and Jans Sons adventure. .

-T Rupsyd
-CM_Third
-DR love

i am all these things
CM_Third is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:39 PM   #4
TiE23
Get bent!

Current Game: Shogun 2
Forum Veteran 
Han Katarn The Great!!!!

Tie's Kindle Reading Project
"Making myself a more learned person and then bragging about it."
Since October 2010 - I'm a slow reader
-----------
27 Books Completed
('10: 4, '11: 9, '12: 7, '13: 6)
Fiction: 12 | Fantasy/Sci-Fi 5; Classics 3; Literature 4
Non-fiction: 15 | Investigative 2; History/Politics 3; Science 3; Biography 7
-----------
237,123 'locations'
11,865 pages (approx)
-----------
Last book: Cosmos by Carl Sagan - Dec 2013
TiE23 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:25 PM   #5
Crusek

To old.. Never.... Qui-Gonn Jinn was 60 years old.
Crusek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:28 PM   #6
UniKorn
Mysterious Mapper

Some inside info told me the next Jedi Character is gonna be called UniKorn

Mapcenter:
http://www.map-center.com
UniKorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:29 PM   #7
Digital_Ronin

Kyle rulez - no matter what age.

Actually I love the greyish shades in his hair - makes him look so much more ... sophisticated? Or... honorable?
And I think he could teach all those average whippa-snappa game heroes a lesson or two.

Still I got the impression his hair was more grey back in JK than it is now in JO. A little coloring maybe?

Digital_Ronin
Digital_Ronin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:46 PM   #8
fatbusinessman

Quote:
Originally posted by Crusek
To old.. Never.... Qui-Gonn Jinn was 60 years old.
Yeah, but Qui-Gonn Jinn got killed. So did Obi-Wan Kenobi for that matter.
fatbusinessman is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:57 PM   #9
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up

Actually Kyle didn't show any gray in JK, only in MotS and JK2.

He's definately not "too old" he's younger than Qui Gon and Obi-Wan in the classic trilogy. Don't forget Darth Vader...

Besides, I always figured that people strong in the force (at least the lightside) tend to live longer (assuming they don't get killed in battle of course). ; )
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 04:00 PM   #10
Foxbatkllr

Yeah I think Kyle is a bit old...Qui-Gon was 60? No wonder he got his ass kicked by Maul. Perhaps in JK3 Kyle could take on a padawan learner and you would have to teach the padawan and then play as the padawan.

"To start press any key. Where's the
any key?"
Foxbatkllr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:19 PM   #11
CaptainRAVE
Jedi Rave

^That sounds too much like MOTS :s

The force will betray you to me.
CaptainRAVE is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:30 PM   #12
Phoenixhunter

*cough*

Heck the reason that Darth Maul was kicking their asses so much was the fact that the dual light saber tactics that he had been taught were directed towards taking advantage of opponents using only single lightsabers. Essentially Obi Wan and Qui-gon had to improvise all new tactics in fighting Darth Maul, no easy task. If Obi Wan had to fight the dual light saber alone, he probably would have lost.
Phoenixhunter is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:44 PM   #13
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
I think Kyle has grey hair because of his brush with the Dark Side. I don't think it's age-related at all.

I mean, if you say he was around 22 at the start of DF (which begins just before ANH), he's 26 by the time we get to JK, which is set just after ROTJ (ANH + 4), and Jedi Outcast takes place 9 years after he saves the Valley. Even if the quest in JK took him a year, that still only makes him 36. How can he be too old?

There's plenty of life left in the character, IMO.

What I would say is that the next trial in his life needs to be momentous. It would be sad to see them turn it into a series of 'The Further Adventures of Kyle & Jan', because then it becomes predictable and boring.

I like to think that Kyle is at the heart of momentous events...and they shouldn't happen too frequently in one person's experience. So maybe they do a sequel with Kyle...another number of years later...and show a transition to another character, and then give the guy a break.

I mean, this is one of the reasons why I stopped reading the EU, because it all became Luke, Leia and Han go off and save the galaxy every day...which is totally unrealistic. Aren't there any other people in the galaxy facing impossible odds? Where are their stories? Popular characters are all well and good...but not when they're used in every galaxy-saving scenario...

So yes...let's have a game like MotS next time...where you switch between two main characters, one of whom happens to be Kyle. Only make sure it has a plot...
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:55 PM   #14
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

1. Luke won't show signs of the slightest aging until he's like, 300 (ok a big exaggerated, but you get the point). He's so strong in the Force, he'll live a really long time. The light side preserves, the dark side destroys, which is why Palpy has to transfer his spirit to another body every once and a while because it decays faster and faster each time. Also why the Nightsisters are all gross and deformed with poping vains and that yuck muck.

2. Kyle's going to show signs of age, but not as much as normal people would.

3. As for Jan, Mon Mothma, Lando... Well, doh! I guess they forgot them. I guess you can pass off their not having gray hair with three words:

Just For Men (and Women)

Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two clarionets.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 06:56 PM   #15
Foxbatkllr

Yeah Kyle isn't too old to be saving the galaxy it's that the whole idea of Kyle saving the galaxy is old. We need a new character and it should be his padawan learner to make an easier transition from Kyle to a new character. I think it being like MOTS would be good.

"To start press any key. Where's the
any key?"
Foxbatkllr is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 07:06 PM   #16
princessliar

Hey, at least his hair isn't thinning and he isn't developing middle-age spread - I don't think I could handle a balding, beer bellied man backflipping across my screen.

princessliar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 07:51 PM   #17
Divine Spirit
Stoked!

i cant remember where it was so this is annoying me but i read somewhere that someone was complaining Luke was getting to old to have adventures and the reply was that the average life span would be hundreds of years because of the advanced technology and so on....so the same applies to kyle

i think it was in the UK official Star Wars magazine
Divine Spirit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 07:52 PM   #18
Vicious_Bot

How old was Yoda?

-
If i haven't done it before, my Bot probably has.
Vicious_Bot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 08:10 PM   #19
panacea

Something on the order of 800 years.

But, we never figured out what species he was. IF he was a different species at all, of course. Maybe that wasn't unusual for his species.
panacea is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Kyle getting too old for another adventure??