lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: MP cheat ?? THIS SUX
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 04-15-2002, 12:27 AM   #1
XIII

MP cheat ?? THIS SUX

hi guys,

I hosted my standard NTS Duel Server/NF/Sabres only on BGJ. After some rounds a guy joined (NO I won't give his name) who was partly invisible and I don't mean the 'ghost' skinn but really invisible. All u can see were the ingnited Lightsabre and his hands. You of course see it comming: he only ingnited the sabre seldom or when attacking.

If this was told be4 in a topic I appologize but I haven't found it. Can someone please fill me in? Is this a cheat or a skinn I encounterd?

I made a change to my server setup yesterday because I couldn't host the day before on the zone. I put the option 'Pure Server' off. I have been downloading skinns lately and I was wondering if it works this way. Another question might be: does 'Pure Server' effect the visibility of my skinns. Or in more understanding english: can some1 still see my skinn if I host a Pure Server AND put download to clients 'off'.

I hope some1 can fill me in.

btw: after I threarend to kick the player he changed to a normal player. (and lets say... he didn't stay long )

Thanks for reading and hopefully reacting,

Regards,

XIII aka

NTS_ARCHER

NTS website

Take what comes, and hit them with double
XIII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:30 AM   #2
Marauder Moe

Its a skin that Raven left in for some reason. Hopefully they will include in the patch making it so you can't select it on a non-cheats multiplayer server.
Marauder Moe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:31 AM   #3
TripLe

its a model, already in game.

you can use it, he can use it, anyone else can use it.

chill, its not a cheat.
TripLe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:31 AM   #4
mett

I believe I heard something before about there being a skin of just kyle's hands... Somebody used it and mentioned it here before. I could be wrong, so somebody else pitch in.

~ Matt
mett is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:32 AM   #5
Valdarious

Leave the pure server on. That skin he is using is a skin that you can select in the console, so the people either have to warn him about kicking him or use force default models(kicking seems more appropriate since why force everyone to use defaults). You can still use all your custom skins on a pure server. Everything the server has is considered pure when you do this.
Valdarious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:35 AM   #6
DigitalVapor

LOL!!! That is soooo funny! I was just thinking about making that very skin mod!!! I thought it would be cool. can anyone tell me what the command to use it is?

Im just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions. ....Oh wait, I dont have a lightsaber. Uhhh...I dont really have any questions either. Ya know I think I'm in the wrong cantina too. Oh well, give me a shot of blue milk.
DigitalVapor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:40 AM   #7
CheshireKat

You can find it if you dig through the Paks, though I won't give it out directly, but there is no way of keeping someone from using it since it is built into the game for some reason.

I wish Raven would have thought a little harder about this before they put it into the game.

Morgans Ghost Skin doesnt bother me though, since he's plain to see. And all the Reborn Skin Extras are very cool.
CheshireKat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:44 AM   #8
Solo4114

I'm sorry, but the argument about this not beign cheating is crap. It's a cheat. It should be disabled. Raven guys said that it wasn't supposed to be in the game and shouldn't be accessible. It's a cheat.
Solo4114 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:52 AM   #9
Caster

Quote:
Originally posted by TripLe

chill, its not a cheat.
Not calling it a cheat is just stupid. It makes 95% of your body invisible and throws off your opponents concentration and gives them a huge disadvantage.

How is that not a cheat? Because you can use it too? You're not suppose to use it in the first place or else they would've mentioned it in the manual or readme files. The only way the lame cheaters found it was by searching through the *.pak3 files which is something programmers do not expect the average player to do. If you were suppose to use it, it would be selectable from the Player Settings configurations screen.

Those arms are actually the skin you use/see when you play the single player game in 1st Person View (As opposed to 3rd Person View). Other then that, it's not meant to be used in multiplayer in the first place and is only put in the game to be used in single player.

-Caster

Fuel burning space polluting X-Wings!
You probably have seat
belts with those shield of yours!
Caster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 12:56 AM   #10
BCanr2d2
Chief B*log Man

It's the model that is used for Kyle's hands when in first person mode when using the light saber in SP.

Personally I find it a cheat, just like strafe jumping/bunny hopping. Just because it is in the games files, or is a bad prt of the games physics doesn't mean you have to use it. I thought SW was more about chivalry and honour, obviously the Sith amongst you out there don't believe in that.
If you want to just kill, play Q3, if you want to at least try and play in the spirit of the game, then by all means play JO with the rest of us.
BCanr2d2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 01:00 AM   #11
Executor32

For the last time, there is a reason the skin is in the game! The skin is used for the first-person view of the saber! This has been stated in many different threads, but everyone keeps ignoring it. The statement that "Raven guys said that it wasn't supposed to be in the game and shouldn't be accessible" is either a misquote or a flat-out lie, since as I said, the skin is supposed to be there, it just wasn't meant to be used in multiplayer.
The only reason this is a problem is that a bunch of lamers decided they should use the skin to their advantage. Since this has proved to be such a problem, I'm certain Raven will fix this in the first patch, most likely just making it an invalid skin in multiplayer.
Now that I think about it, this may be the reason that you can't use the lightsaber in first-person mode in MP, as I believe the first person LS command just changes your skin to that one in SP. There's no good way to tell, though, so I'm not sure.

There is no peace, there is anger.
There is no fear, there is power.
There is no death, there is immortality.
There is no weakness, there is the Dark Side.
-Dark Side Code

Executor32's X-Wing Alliance Depot
Executor32 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:29 AM   #12
Wake

type Model kyle/fpls2 in the console to turn to that skin...
Wake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:40 AM   #13
GooglyMoogly

DORK..don't post the skin here!!!
GooglyMoogly is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:01 AM   #14
MankaCat

DORK! better everyone knows than only a few having an advantage
MankaCat is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:37 AM   #15
Crack 6K

What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what happened to D2: LOD? EVERYONE knew how to dupe, and the game DIED as a result. Do you want that to happen to JO??? SHUT UP!!!! Admins, delete this thread, please.

- Crack 6K -
Riot Films.com

"He who controls the past, commands the future.
He who commands the future, conquers the past."
Crack 6K is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 04:48 AM   #16
Frumpus

hmm. I don't think it would matter if the admins deleted this thread.

People want what they can't have, and want to do what they're told they CAN\T do,

...so if this thread is deleted,. .. SOMEbody is just gonna try to repost the information .. . and spread the word,. . . and repost. .etc. etc.

I can't stand cheating - even taking advantage of the shortcomings of a game. I can't stand that some people don't see how this CHEAT may ruin the game for others, but it's clear they've rationalized to themselves somehow.

If this thread is deleted, great, but I really don't think it'll have the opposite effect desired.
Frumpus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 04:55 AM   #17
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
rofl

lol Wake, I feel sorry for the poor newbie that types in THAT command.

Time for Mr. Desktop. The new improved version of alt-f4

EDIT- Reason why it doe scrash, was because the devs originally DID put a model (I believe it was a different version of those "crabs" in singleplayer) but later was removed. However, the model command was still in the files. Once you type it in, the game crashes due to a "model not found" error, or something along those lines. Just lazy developers, or forgot to remove it.

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 07:20 AM   #18
DerthNader

If anyone uses that skin on the EED server, thwy will be kicked.

That is all.

Cheers
Derth Nader

Let the BEER flow through you!
DerthNader is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 09:44 AM   #19
Raze

Just remove the skin from the server-side pk3's.. That should do it, no?

[Edit: Ooh, look, I am a pit droid.. is that a good thing, yes?]
Raze is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:33 AM   #20
XIII

thx for the info guys

thx for info guys,

I later realised it wasn't a cheat because the guy really fast changed in another skinn. However I still think it is lame.

No honor. No skill and No fun.

For the records,

the next person tries it on my server will be kicked as well without warning,

thx for reacting every1,

happy hunting and check six,

Regards,

XIII
aka
NTS_Archer
NTS Website

Take what comes, and hit them with double
XIII is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 11:41 AM   #21
PurplWulf

similiar models and skins were made for H2 and used by lamers to gain the upperhand, you can either remove the model from the server side pk3 as mentioned above, or a better option I found is to replace it with a model that's nice and solid, and make a really bright skin for it so they stand out even more.

there's nothing more fun than watching someone who thinks they're invisible try and taunt you and snipe you, when you see everything they are doing, and can blast them anyways.

the purple one
PurplWulf is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:06 PM   #22
Wake

Quote:
Originally posted by Crack 6K
What the hell are you talking about? Do you know what happened to D2: LOD? EVERYONE knew how to dupe, and the game DIED as a result. Do you want that to happen to JO??? SHUT UP!!!! Admins, delete this thread, please.
this isnt exactly duping.. its just a skin... and at least theres a fix... thank you MankaCat ... thats the EXACT reason i posted that here.

:
Wake is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 02:11 PM   #23
DigitalVapor

What I want to do is figure out how to make a skin of the Semi-Invisible shadowtrooper. That looked extremely cool and if anyone knows what texture is used for the blue swirl effect it shows please tell me.

Im just a guy with a lightsaber and a few questions. ....Oh wait, I dont have a lightsaber. Uhhh...I dont really have any questions either. Ya know I think I'm in the wrong cantina too. Oh well, give me a shot of blue milk.
DigitalVapor is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 03:37 PM   #24
aletoledo

thank-you wake for posting how to do it. I was mostly interested in the console command to change the skin....but I agree that everyone should know how to do it and not just a select few.

actually the last time I saw someone using that skin, I killed them repeatedly. its kinda like the one-hit-kill strong stance move, if people are aware about the move/skin, it loses the majority of its effectiveness.
aletoledo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 04:18 PM   #25
FlashFearless

couldn't somebody make and release a replacement model for that skin? somethign bright and shiny would be good...

Then every time some guy thinks "hahaha i r leet" he'd actually be plainly visible
FlashFearless is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 04:37 PM   #26
UniKorn
Mysterious Mapper

Just put force_models on and it is no longer of use. It is a shame though, I saw it happen myself too, but I thought it was some jedi skill. I'm just gonna put force_models on, and the problems are gone

Mapcenter:
http://www.map-center.com
UniKorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-15-2002, 05:04 PM   #27
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
I'm positive it will be removed in the next patch.

Quote:
couldn't somebody make and release a replacement model for that skin? somethign bright and shiny would be good...

Then every time some guy thinks "hahaha i r leet" he'd actually be plainly visible
This could easily done client side.. so that you see a shiny skin, whereas everyone else sees the default one. Just make a new model/skin with the same file name in your pk3 file(s).
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2002, 08:40 PM   #28
Cassiel_Blaize

If people want to get into semantics then technically using ANY model outside of the ones on the character selection screen is, to an extent, cheating. You're using an undocumented console command to use a model not available for general selection. The way I personally see it, you can either download new skins and petition the host to copy them onto the server or you can wait for the SDK and people releasing new models. Anything else is, to use a roleplaying term, munchkinism.

-JH.

'I know you don't see the snipers. Trust me, they're there.'
Cassiel_Blaize is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2002, 08:49 PM   #29
Jedi_Overlord

I haven't seen too many people use it, but really, it's not an issue. You can boot anyone who uses it, and it only works on a devmap enabled server anyway.

Use the Force, however you like.

Jedi_Overlord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2002, 08:53 PM   #30
jockeyonrocket

question

I know you are all on the hand model thing, but i saw someone post earlier about morgan katarn's ghost model... i was wondering how you get that skin for MP, i looked around in the PK file but i really didn't look hard enough, and i know at least one person posting on this thread knows, so please help me out. thanks
jockeyonrocket is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2002, 09:08 PM   #31
Zek

I use the Reborn/Boss skin in multiplayer because I think it looks much cooler than the default orange skin. How is that cheating? It gives me no advantage in the slightest. Even the headless model is really just for laughs. The hands model, however, gives you a HUGE advantage in duels, and I'll be extremely disappointed if it isn't disallowed in multiplayer next patch(though I hope they either leave in the other console-only ones or make them selectable).
Zek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 04-16-2002, 09:33 PM   #32
Essobie

Quote:
Originally posted by TripLe

chill, its not a cheat.
Depends on your definition of "cheat". In the most general of definitions found in most dictionaries, using this model (that isn't actually found in the UI, btw) is in fact, cheating.

Let's look at a couple found on dictionary.com:

1. To deceive by trickery; swindle
2. To mislead; fool

Both of these would encompass the ability of someone that is not as visible as someone else on the server of a game where being INvisible is the effect of a particular aspect of regular game play (i.e. Mind Trick).

Okay so yes, given the tools available (as in, the console and the model command) one could use any model that the game ALLOWS you to use on a cheat protected server.

That doesn't make the intentions of the individual using this model any less of a "cheater" who is specifically attempting to decieve, swindle, or fool other players on the server to not see all of their bounding box.

I've already given this information out before on other threads talking about this model, but I think it's important to repeat it here on another popular thread that is parroting many of the same posts:

All you have to do when someone uses this model, is simply bring down the console (hit Shift+`) and type in "/cg_forcemodels 1" and hit enter.

If I remember correctly, you won't even need to do a vid_restart... you can just hold down your +showscores key for a couple of seconds and everyone's model will be changed to the one that YOU are using. If this is wrong, simply bring down the console again, type in "vid_restart" and hit enter and then wait a few seconds.

And as always, you will also recieve a bit of a frames per second bonus since you don't have a bunch of models and skins loaded into ram.

Essobie

http://crap.nofadz.com/
http://www.planetquake.com/super3/
Essobie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > MP cheat ?? THIS SUX