lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Planet of the Apes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-29-2001, 05:14 AM   #1
Zell Raider

Thumbs up Planet of the Apes

Has anyone here seen this movie ??

I like the story and all but the ending was not so good.

If you have seen it you know what I am talking about.

I hear that there might be a Planet of the Apes 2 that will give all the answers to why this one ended the way it did, but no one knows for sure if there will be a 2nd.

What do you think about the movie and its ending ? Do you think there will be a 2nd ?
  you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2001, 09:06 AM   #2
Boba Fat

Question

I havent actually seen planet of the apes but my father told me about it like they find out it was earth all along by the piece of the statue of liberty. Oh and i've seen bits of the new one like the monkey ripping the guys mouth open and saying "Is there a soul in there?" and the female one thats ugly saying "It's disgusting the way we treat humans!" but again i havent seen it!
Thanks for replying to my post!
Old 07-29-2001, 12:02 PM   #3
obi
LFN Staff Emeritus

Current Game: Game of life, yo
i went to see it friday, and it was a good movie!(surprisingly)

and the end was so incredably dumb, i could smell sequal all over it.

it was actually kinda SAD when the general ape hit the chimp.....OOPS!!!!!!!

Why do you look at the speck in your brother's eye, but do not consider the plank in your own eye?-Matthew 7:3-5
Living Water Revival

Me on Myspace

obi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2001, 02:01 PM   #4
darth terrat

They should make one
Old 07-29-2001, 04:30 PM   #5
Tie Guy

Yeah, i was expecting the statue of liberty thing, but it wan't in there. Your dad is telling you about the old one he probably saw when he was a kid.
Old 07-29-2001, 04:55 PM   #6
MadPoster

I have proof the Planet of the Apes exist- my cousin is so hairy, she shaves her body everyday!

Needing a new sig idea to get rid of:
MadPoster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2001, 06:14 PM   #7
pandemonium

Haha...

"I see." Said the blind Sith, as he picked up his saber and saw
pandemonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2001, 08:14 PM   #8
JediMasterHorn

It was good except for the ending. Wide open for a sequal. There was no character development either.
JediMasterHorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-29-2001, 09:05 PM   #9
Zell Raider

I thought where was character development

I mean you know from the 1st time you see the general that he hates humans but instead of not telling you why he does, they give you the answer when he talks to his father.
( I wouldn't say anymore because I don't want to give away the movie )

[ July 29, 2001: Message edited by: Zell Raider ]
Old 07-30-2001, 07:02 AM   #10
Boba Rhett

*copied from JKII.net*

An entertaining movie. I enjoyed it right to the end, well at least up until the last 30 seconds. There I was thinking this was a cool movie and then I see the last thirty seconds and am completely confused. It's pretty amazing when something that happens in the last minute messes up the rest of the movie.
I mean, it's alright to leave a little hole at the end of a movie for it to lead into a sequal but this movie left a hole big enough for someone to drive a riding lawn mower through. So if they don't make a sequal, this movie is ruined at the end. If the do make one, however, the movie will be great and will eventually make perfect sence buti'll still feel that I had to wait 2 years and pay for another ticket just to see the ending of this movie.

Dispite it messed up ending, it a good moive and I suggest you check it out and see what you think about the ending.

Rating: If sequal = 8.5, if no sequal = 7.0
Old 07-30-2001, 11:29 AM   #11
darth terrat

Soooo..8.5
Old 08-07-2001, 03:22 AM   #12
Zell Raider

I saw the old Planet of the Apes with Charlton Heston today. Did you know that the old Planet of the Apes has 4 sequals

Total of 5 Ape movies
------------------
Off this Topic but has anyone seen Men of Honor that was a good movie.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Zell Raider ]
Old 08-07-2001, 09:32 PM   #13
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

No? Okay then.

Back on topic. Sorry Zell.

I just saw PotA yesterday, and I loved it.

What you have to realize is that it's not meant to be over-analyzed. People are trashing Planet of the Apes for the same reason they trashed Godzilla; if you look at these movies as attempts serious dramatic opus, you will be dissappointed.

C'mon folks, they're Monster Movies, not King Lear! Just shut off the internal critic and enjoy the ride.

That said, I liked it. The makeup was stunning, which is reason enough for accolades in this day of CGI aliens and animatronic dinosaurs. To get something so lifelike from simple facial appliances is a dying art.

BTW, I thought that Helena Bonham Carter's character (the chimp "human rights activist") was actually quite attractive. I mean seriously, did you see those huge dark eyes?

The acting was good, given the formula, and the movie can't be judged on the strengths of the original.

I do, however agree that the ending seemed to come out of nowhere. I mean, I understood the symbolism that the movie was going for (as in the original; the point was to present humans as the savages and the apes [metaphorical personifications of nature] as the truly intelligent), but the final sequence had absolutely no bearing on the rest of the movie.

I mean, leaving "Apeworld," he travelled back, not forward. He should have ended up right back where he started on the Oberon, or at least not too long afterwards. Yet somehow he seems to end up in the future!

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2001, 11:03 PM   #14
Boba Rhett

There's only one thing I have to say about that.

PotA = Awesome

Godzilla = CRAP

Thus concludes this post.
Old 08-07-2001, 11:44 PM   #15
Zell Raider

But I now understand why they ended the new one the way they did.

By: BeastMaster
Quote:
I mean, leaving "Apeworld," he travelled back, not forward. He should have ended up right back where he started on the Oberon, or at least not too long afterwards. Yet somehow he seems to end up in the future!
Like I said the original had 4 sequals.

In the 3rd movie Escape from the Planet of the Apes, Roddy Mcdowell and Kim Hunter (two apes) go back in time and lead a fight with the humans in the past.

[ August 07, 2001: Message edited by: Zell Raider ]
Old 08-20-2001, 01:15 AM   #16
cenca

The ending sucked! Okay I don't know about you, but I hate more than one movie!(with the exception of Star Wars!)
Old 08-20-2001, 01:45 AM   #17
Garindan

Quote:
Originally posted by Boba Rhett:
There's only one thing I have to say about that.

PotA = Awesome

Godzilla = CRAP

Thus concludes this post.
I thought Godzilla was cool. It's one of my fav. non star wars movies.

my fav. non sw movies are:

Gladiator
Jurassic Park
The Lost World
Jurassic Park 3 (shut the ************ up about it, it was awesome, i only saw first 40 minutes tho since i'm cool and dloaded it)

I've got some more but can't remember their names! i know crotching tiger hidden fool wasn't great tho. It's one of my most hated movies. If i ever go to a movie at the theatre (i didn't see the movie at theatre thank God), i'll remember to bring a gun w/me so i can shoot the sexers right in the privates while they're doing it. and the shoot anybody who tries to stop me.
Old 08-20-2001, 02:20 PM   #18
cenca

UGH! the Lost World was totally crap I mean, talk about sad, stupid, idiotic plot lines! this one, in my view, took the cake!

[ August 20, 2001: Message edited by: Qwi Xux ]
Old 08-20-2001, 03:23 PM   #19
Boba Rhett

JP3 is so bad it's actually sad. Much much worse than The Lost World.
Old 08-23-2001, 11:48 AM   #20
Garindan

everybody has opinions.
Old 08-23-2001, 07:38 PM   #21
pandemonium

Well... I thought it was okay... it was just a 'set up' for the 4th one which is gonna probably be up to the standards of the first one (and cost about as much )

"I see." Said the blind Sith, as he picked up his saber and saw
pandemonium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > Planet of the Apes