lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Dark Forces and win xp
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-16-2002, 03:17 PM   #1
JRL3001

Question Dark Forces and win xp

Hello,

I'm in the mood to play the classic, but I cant get the game to detect the soundcard when I install Dark Forces on my new XP box. ANy suggestions?

Then Fëanor swore a terrible oath. His seven sons leapt straightway to his side and took the selfsame vow together, and red as blood shone their drawn swords in the glare of torches. They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilúvitar, calling the everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not; and Manwë they named in witness, and Varda, and the hallowed mountain of Taniquetil, vowing to persue with vengeance and hatred to the ends of the World Varda, Demon, Elf or Man as yet unbord, or any creature, great or small, good or evil, that time should bring forth unto the end of days, whoso should hold or take or keep a Silmaril from their possession." -The Silmarillion
JRL3001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-17-2002, 12:37 PM   #2
JRL3001

No one even have a single bit of advice?

Then Fëanor swore a terrible oath. His seven sons leapt straightway to his side and took the selfsame vow together, and red as blood shone their drawn swords in the glare of torches. They swore an oath which none shall break, and none should take, by the name even of Ilúvitar, calling the everlasting Dark upon them if they kept it not; and Manwë they named in witness, and Varda, and the hallowed mountain of Taniquetil, vowing to persue with vengeance and hatred to the ends of the World Varda, Demon, Elf or Man as yet unbord, or any creature, great or small, good or evil, that time should bring forth unto the end of days, whoso should hold or take or keep a Silmaril from their possession." -The Silmarillion
Old 05-18-2002, 08:42 PM   #3
Mininium_Power

I have the same problem so I posted that question on the jedi OUtcast TECH forum
Mininium_Power is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2002, 04:37 AM   #4
Wraith 8
Feral Druid

Current Game: World of Warcraft
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
euh.. is Darkforces originally a DOS game??? or do you NEED windows to play it? or does the game just play without sound?
Wraith 8 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2002, 04:53 AM   #5
Metallus
Episodic!

Old News! LFN Staff Member Notable contributor Forum Veteran 
I...actually tried to play Dark Forces this weekend, and my computer crashed . Sorry, but I'm pretty clueless about this as well. (I'm running ME)

Guy.
Metallus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-21-2002, 07:34 AM   #6
Wraith 8
Feral Druid

hmmmmm.. wel for what i know about windows systems (and i dont know that much )

Windows NT and 2000 are build for networks.. and dont play games very well

Windows XP no longer has a DOS capability so you cant play games that need DOS anymore

Windows ME has a lot of problems and isnt as stable as 98...

i use windows 98 SE.. it is the most stable windows of them all.
Old 05-23-2002, 05:35 AM   #7
JRL3001

I have the slightly upgraded version of Dark Forces, it's desiogned to work for both DOS and Win95.

I can get it to install and run on WinXp, but I cannot get the sound to setup, it will not detect my soundcard, or even work when I set it *sigh* the game just isnt the same withought sound

Old 05-23-2002, 07:01 AM   #8
Wraith 8
Feral Druid

hmmm ok... im gonna just say some random stuff... so if you see something you havent tried or thought of.. you might try it.

Patches for your sound card on XP

Patches for datkforces

new DirectX for XP

New DirectX

New OS J/K

maybe it helpes.. i dont know for sure... just try it.

-Wraith 8-
Old 05-26-2002, 07:48 AM   #9
JRL3001

Where can I get patches for Dark Forces?

I have the latest version of DirectX, my soundcard is brand new

Old 05-27-2002, 04:28 AM   #10
Wraith 8
Feral Druid

hmmmm... i dont realy know... i had some cheat sites where they had patches for a lot of other games, but those sites are gone now.. i havent found a good site for it yet... have you tried looking on LucasArts.com?
Old 05-27-2002, 05:49 PM   #11
JRL3001

Ah ha! I got it! The answet to the sound problem that DF has on newer computers

http://www.df-21.net/articles/install.html

this site has a lot of really great stuff for the game too

Old 05-27-2002, 06:50 PM   #12
Wraith 8
Feral Druid

Great for you man.. and everything works alrighty?
where did you find the site for the patch then? how?
Old 06-02-2002, 07:56 PM   #13
JRL3001

http://www.df-21.net

no patch, but instructions on a way to install the game so that sound will work.

I still dont have music, but I at least can hear the stormies scream when I blast em'

Old 06-03-2002, 04:22 AM   #14
Wraith 8
Feral Druid

Quote:
Originally posted by JRL3001
http://www.df-21.net

no patch, but instructions on a way to install the game so that sound will work.

I still dont have music, but I at least can hear the stormies scream when I blast em'
well that is a start . good luck playing..
Old 06-15-2002, 04:51 AM   #15
spunkyboy

darkforces

i have windows me,and i had problems at first trying to get sound on the game,it plays great,but i can`t get pass level three,so if anyone has tips on what i`m suppose to do email at scotttait@shaw.ca
spunkyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-16-2002, 10:55 AM   #16
Jedi lord

Can any of you guys help me? In single player how do you take a screenshot without having to bring up the cheat menu thingy?

Jedi Lord
Jedi lord is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Forum Help & Feedback Center > Dark Forces and win xp