lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: "And they say that a hero can save us, but Kyle is getting too old...."
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 07-18-2002, 11:33 PM   #1
Revan Bakr'

"And they say that a hero can save us, but Kyle is getting too old...."

Anybody think Kyle is getting too old to run around fighting sith and dating a 20 year younger girl with a common name? We need a new hero. If there will be another gamelike this, Kyle, IMO, will have to throw in the towel to a younger hero. AND, we need a new villain! I'm sick of this scenario: A Dark Jedi leads the Empire.... again! The Empire is dead, people. If there is another sequel, throw those stormtroopers in the trash can!!
Oh yeah, and Reelo was a little obese for a Rodian...

--------------------Revan Bakr'
Sithopath

Revan: Sometimes I feel like you don't know me at all. (Lightsaber ignites) (Slices) And now, you never will. HAHAHAHAHA!

"Austin..... I am your father."
"Really?"
"No, not really. I can't back that up."

http://www.boomspeed.com/jakobo48/Al_sig2.jpg [URL]
Revan Bakr' is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 01:58 AM   #2
mythren

Erm..Yoda was pushin 700 when he dueled Dooku.

"To see a world in a grain of sand, a heaven in a wild flower. Hold infinity in the palm of your hand, and eternity in the hour."
mythren is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 03:50 AM   #3
Kent H

Plus, Jan is about the same age as Kyle. There's probably a 2 - 3 year difference at most between them, not 20.

The dueler known as Horke Sh'mar

Yoda is my Jar Jar.

Stop looking at me!!!
Kent H is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 04:08 AM   #4
Hiteche5

Quote:
Erm..Yoda was pushin 700 when he dueled Dooku.
Yea but Yoda is not human.

I do feel if there is another Jedi Knight then there should be another hero. I like Kyle but I think the way in which they ended the story will put a damper on a sequel. For instance he is in love now. According to what we have seen in the movies Jedi's aren't really supposed to be into that.

Also Kyle got sucked into the force (JK1) not very willingly. He almost turned (MotS). And in the beginning of JK2 he wants to stay away from the Force and only turns to it again to get Desann. In the end he say he will think about continuing training when he gets back. He is kinda flaky on the whole Force thing and is not very dedicated IMHO. I want a true Jedi in the next one.

My suggestion is a twist on things. We saw how great Tie Fighter was because you played the bad guys (plus it was a great game) How about assuming the role of a Dark Jedi trying to accomplish something for his Master?

The Rodney Dangerfield of forums
Hiteche5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 04:21 AM   #5
FatalStrike

I am no good at this but this seems interesting

OK I am not that great at creating story lines but how about scraping the whole idea of a hero and villain and go with the current Anti-Hero trend.

How about the game is about a survivor from the reborn experiments that doesn't want anything to with either side because he doesn't trust anyone after whats been done to him.

This guy would be a true Jedi Outcast since he would have no right to have force powers in the minds of both the Sith and the Jedi.

The jedi would see him as a dangerous loose cannon that must be stopped.

The Sith would see him as their property that has gotten loose and seek to force him back to the darkside.

Anyway like I said I am no good at these things but I figure this could be cool.

Thanks

PS I agree with the TIE FIGHTER thing. That game was the best star wars flight game IMHO.

Battlefield 1942........
FatalStrike is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 04:41 AM   #6
Divine Spirit
Stoked!

An issue of the official UK Star Wars Magazine states that the life expectancy in the Star Wars universe is far longer than that of our world. It also explains why Luke is still a young chappie!

Back in Black
Divine Spirit is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 05:59 AM   #7
Naphtali

I would like to you Kyle finally fall to the darkside, using him in a couople of levels then you turn over to a young jedi, who is thrown into the story to stop kyle.
After that your mission is to confront Kyle, thus killing him and handing over the torch so to speak, something to that affect

Naphtali is HARD
AS HELL
BATTLE ANYBODY I DONT CARE
WHO YOU TELL
Naphtali is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 06:12 AM   #8
Hiteche5

That is almost the exact story line of Mysteries of the Sith. Been there, done that

The Rodney Dangerfield of forums
Hiteche5 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 06:28 AM   #9
HellFyre69

Quote:
Originally posted by Divine Spirit
An issue of the official UK Star Wars Magazine states that the life expectancy in the Star Wars universe is far longer than that of our world. It also explains why Luke is still a young chappie!

well why then? would u pls explain, cuz I havent read anything about that..

It is obvious this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber."

-Count Dooku

HellFyre69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 06:29 AM   #10
Darth Xhan

my argument skews much the other way. I'm SICK TO DEATH of supposedly bad ass galaxy destroying villains that simply end up being disposable hero-foils. This is the new breed of Star Wars villain. And it SUCKS. Desann could have been a new breed of Sith... The kind that has plots upon plots AND a sense of martial prowess about him. He had his own style of sabering, for %)(*$#)(#*#) sake! You know how long that would take to develop? His Grip and Electricity were even higher than the Sidious and Vader, and he had Vader's power with ONE HAND. And in the end, all of this development is simply thrown to the wolves.. STUPID. What ever happened to the true BAD ASS villains? The kind that could hold their own? Even in the books and comics, this applies... It's getting to the point where I don't care anymore.. Oh no, the evil villain...with the new super world destroying death ray.. that is guaranteed to die some "ironically fitting" death in the third book/final stage. BORING.

That which does not kill me is dead when I am through with it.

Young fool, only now, at the end, do you understand. [Palpatine]
Darth Xhan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 07:59 AM   #11
Divine Spirit
Stoked!

Quote:
Originally posted by HellFyre69

well why then? would u pls explain, cuz I havent read anything about that..
ill find you the question/answer thing tomorrow then....if i remember!

Back in Black
Old 07-19-2002, 09:38 AM   #12
cROsIs**

Location: Well, I live in a house. Nuff said? Anyways, I enjoy working on WebPages... My webdesign company should be up soon... Using this space to tell you a bit about my self: Star Wars Rocks, nuff said' Oh... I live in maine...
Yoda and Yaddle?
cROsIs** is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 09:45 AM   #13
TroopCommander
Rookie

Post Sith sith sith!!!!!!!!!!

they should make a game where instead of being a hero you should be a sith but i dunno if they made a game like that yet cuz im new to jk series and stuff(not star wars)i think this would be cool

If you do not like anime i do not like you......

I really hate you if you do not like RPG's.......

Chrono Trigger is my favorite RPG......next to that is FFVII........

Sephiroth and Magus FOREVER

Hahahahahahaha, look at the funny boy dance, teehee

TroopCommander is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 01:27 PM   #14
Naphtali

Yes true that it is a lot like mots, but the whole thing about jedi gaining powers from a graveyard is garbage anyhow, they need to just come up with a way to put you in a hero role new char, and off Kyle Katarn, maybe they can make a 2 way story like in the original jedi Knight.

Naphtali is HARD
AS HELL
WHO YOU TELL
Old 07-19-2002, 01:46 PM   #15
Kent H

FatalStrike, that is the exact type of gamestory I would like to see. I far and away prefer the people in the grey zone, the anti-hero, instead of all this silly absolute black and white nonsense.

The dueler known as Horke Sh'mar

Yoda is my Jar Jar.

Stop looking at me!!!
Kent H is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 02:06 PM   #16
The Kessel Run

re

"When 900 years you reach, look as good you will not.....*weird yoda laughter*" That was from ROTJ , so if we put AOTC 21-22 years or so before AOTC that make yoda about 879 years old when he fought Dooku, not 700......old fella has plenty of fight in him, I wouldn't have even tried to take him when he was on his death bed!
The Kessel Run is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 03:10 PM   #17
Eklin

ROFL!
The title of your post is hillarious!

The Man's Prayer:
"I'm a man, but I can change, if I have to, I guess..."
Eklin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 04:03 PM   #18
Darth Vicious

Hell yes, we need a new hero. Kyle is getting way way WAY too old for this business. And, apparently, JKII:JO is quite close to when the New Jedi Order book series begins...

Poor Kyle.
Darth Vicious is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 09:14 PM   #19
Divine Spirit
Stoked!

on second thoughts, i cant be bothered to find the article. Im sure youll be able to make do without it

my time is very precious!

Back in Black
Old 07-19-2002, 11:29 PM   #20
Kstar__2
chaos

you're time on the forums and behind the computer?

+[size=0.5]http://kstar.deviantart.com[/size]
Kstar__2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-19-2002, 11:39 PM   #21
Kstar__2
chaos

Question what about tavion?

an idea:

tavion goes to the jedi academy to be trained in the light side of the force, but the dark side is still too strong in her, she would be send on a mission to *the sith planet wich name i don't remember* but is overwhelmed by the dark side, she gets a sith spirit in her, but doesn't notice it, then most of the times she can be normal light side, but when she gets mad (becouse of bosses), the spirit takes over and she gets really great dark side powers, after a while, luke finds out, and askes kyle for help, together they try top stop tavion (wich is you) but you win and kyle and luke run. they look into a jedi holocron (recently found on kashyyykk, somewhere deep down) they find the solution, and bust the sith spirit out off tavion, the spirit attacks luke and kyle, and the fight it, tavion can choose to join the spirit (dark side) or luke and kyle (light side)

any thoughts about it?

+[size=0.5]http://kstar.deviantart.com[/size]
Kstar__2 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2002, 01:03 AM   #22
D@rth M@ul

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth Xhan
my argument skews much the other way. I'm SICK TO DEATH of supposedly bad ass galaxy destroying villains that simply end up being disposable hero-foils. This is the new breed of Star Wars villain. And it SUCKS. Desann could have been a new breed of Sith... The kind that has plots upon plots AND a sense of martial prowess about him. He had his own style of sabering, for %)(*$#)(#*#) sake! You know how long that would take to develop? His Grip and Electricity were even higher than the Sidious and Vader, and he had Vader's power with ONE HAND. And in the end, all of this development is simply thrown to the wolves.. STUPID. What ever happened to the true BAD ASS villains? The kind that could hold their own? Even in the books and comics, this applies... It's getting to the point where I don't care anymore.. Oh no, the evil villain...with the new super world destroying death ray.. that is guaranteed to die some "ironically fitting" death in the third book/final stage. BORING.
Well Desann trained at the Jedi Academy, He could have worked
on his own type of sabering style, So did Darth Maul, I mean
he never went to an academy and he had a double bladeded
light saber which isn't easy to master. And asking for the villian
not to die or all the cliche's is like asking for a Slasher movie to be
scary, or not suck. And GTA3 acctually have a good storyline. It's going to happen because in the beginning
when movies and games were being made, all the types of
games and movies were discussed and a bases was set.

So the girl is always gonna check out that noise she just heard in
the dark blood filled hallway.

Kyle is always going to kill Desann, and Desann will always have
that earth destroying weapon.

Every now and then you get a game that is original at best,
and those games are my favorite.

.o)(Darth Maul )(o.

- "There is no pain were strength lies."

-"So the sith really do exist?".
We always have.
We always will.
D@rth M@ul is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2002, 01:07 AM   #23
The Count
Banned

Thumbs up

Nickleback are absolutely crap and so is the lead singer lets close this thread its pointless Katarn rocks respectable Jedi Master
The Count is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2002, 10:14 PM   #24
ollyhills

Kyle is too cool to be replaced. and besides, kyle must be in his mid 50's, jedi go on older than that. Qui-Gon Jinn was just about 60 when he died. anyway. the point is that kyle is not too old to be a jedi. not by a long way.
ollyhills is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2002, 10:56 PM   #25
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Thumbs up

Kyle's not too old... what was Obi-Wan doing fighting Vader at his age? (60's-70's) or how about Dooku (80 something) or dare I mention YODA!!!??? (850??)

Kyle has plenty of sith/dark jedi/imperial remnant bashing decades left in him, if the other characters are any measure... ; )
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-20-2002, 11:32 PM   #26
HellFyre69

Quote:
Originally posted by ollyhills
Kyle is too cool to be replaced. and besides, kyle must be in his mid 50's, jedi go on older than that. Qui-Gon Jinn was just about 60 when he died. anyway. the point is that kyle is not too old to be a jedi. not by a long way.
70oku was like 70, and sidious probably in his 100's! in ROTJ

It is obvious this contest cannot be decided by our knowledge of the Force, but by our skills with the lightsaber."

-Count Dooku

HellFyre69 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2002, 05:18 AM   #27
Lunatic Jedi
Don't make me use this!

I know this is also a cliche, but it could add a bit of a twist to the series.

DESANN LIVES! Yes! Desann is still alive! After all, it was never really CERTAIN that Kyle killed him at the end of JKII. I mean, think about it.

*The fallen Desann clenches his lightsaber in his fist, then his grip releases, as if he is dead. Kyle shakes his head and force jumps over the wall, cue the whole "Rebel arresting Reborn, Jan and Kyle kiss" scene, then the whole wrapup with Luke.*

Does that sound like a confirmed kill to you? Desann could have limped out of there and gone off to fight another day... suspenseful!

http://linuxsupportdesk.net/pichost/...unaticJed1.gif removed [img] tags due to HTTP 401 response --tk102

"Yes. The pain you feel is your very essence, the essence of the crude animal known as Homo Sapien."

-Millions Knives
Lunatic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-21-2002, 10:53 PM   #28
Naphtali

Quote:
Originally posted by Kurgan
Kyle's not too old... what was Obi-Wan doing fighting Vader at his age? (60's-70's) or how about Dooku (80 something) or dare I mention YODA!!!??? (850??)

Kyle has plenty of sith/dark jedi/imperial remnant bashing decades left in him, if the other characters are any measure... ; )
Hes never fought against sith, just geeky jedi and then a loose canon from the acadamey, hes not really a jedi anyhow, plus Yoda, Dooku, Obiwan were strong with the force increaseing their vitality, and Kyle doesnt really practice the force

Hes done after one more episode

Naphtali is HARD
AS HELL
WHO YOU TELL
Old 07-21-2002, 11:43 PM   #29
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

I imagine lucasfilms has the final say in any plot development. Maybe they didn't want Raven to make any baddie last longer than one game. Here is a thought thou...Both "right hand" ladies have excaped in both JK games. So, that one blond chick from JK and tavion are still on the loose. Having Kyle hunt them down would make a fun expansion pack.

Razor Ace
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 12:42 AM   #30
Artem

Quote:
Originally posted by Lunatic Jedi
DESANN LIVES! Yes! Desann is still alive! After all, it was never really CERTAIN that Kyle killed him at the end of JKII. I mean, think about it.

*The fallen Desann clenches his lightsaber in his fist, then his grip releases, as if he is dead.
g_saberRealisticCombat 10 anyone?

i made sure desann was dead. :-D

It doesn't matter the part of me that loves is gone, I am now a Sith Lord - Sith Lord Invader
Artem is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 12:49 AM   #31
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Ouch. The problem is that you cheated to do that. Therefore, it's not "canon".
Old 07-22-2002, 08:48 AM   #32
GMD

Kyle is not too old... Kyle rocks!

If there would be an expansion, it would be better if Kyle doesn't always fight alone. He should have a padawan, who always fights with him....

GMD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 10:31 AM   #33
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Age matters not to the Jedi. Mmm, yes. Kyle should actually get even more powerful as he grows older. And yes, he's flaky, not the best Jedi student in the galaxy, but that's what makes him interesting. He's edgy and a little bit off the rails, wrong side of the tracks. Hur hur. A cross between Ben Kenobi and Han Solo then.

Quote:
I'm SICK TO DEATH of supposedly bad ass galaxy destroying villains that simply end up being disposable hero-foils.
A good point, but then again if you couldn't defeat the big bad guy at the end of the game, you'd feel a little bit cheated, wouldn't you. Anyone remember the old Quake conversion Zerstorer? hur hur. Closure at the end of a game is most necessary, but because of that the medium doesn't lend itself to contiguous antagonism. How many game villains have been ressurected from certain death time and time again? Kane from C&C... Shodan in SS2... Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat... Doh in Arkanoid, the list is endless. Games are episodic in nature and until someone releases a truly realised series of games with a consecutive and believable plotline, they won't be anything but. And such an undertaking would be a large affair. A project comparable to the LotR movie series, and requiring a similar leap of faith by financial backers.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 11:11 AM   #34
Chewie Bakker

Question Kyle too old

I don't think Kyle's physically too old, but he's had a long run in the Dark Forces series...

When I saw Attack of the Clones and saw Obi-Wan duking it out with Jango Fett I imagined playing a game set before then, set during the Jedi's battles with the Madalorians. How much would it rock battling against armoured figures with jetpacks on their backs?

vs

"Chewie" Bakker
Chewie Bakker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 12:25 PM   #35
Revan Bakr'

I'm just saying Kyle is still human, and as you can see in the game cutscenes he's definitely taking on some gray. I just think Kyle needs to give the saber to someone else.......

--------------------Revan Bakr'
Sithopath

Revan: Sometimes I feel like you don't know me at all. (Lightsaber ignites) (Slices) And now, you never will. HAHAHAHAHA!

"Austin..... I am your father."
"Really?"
"No, not really. I can't back that up."

http://www.boomspeed.com/jakobo48/Al_sig2.jpg [URL]
Revan Bakr' is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-22-2002, 01:30 PM   #36
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Quote:
A good point, but then again if you couldn't defeat the big bad guy at the end of the game, you'd feel a little bit cheated, wouldn't you. Anyone remember the old Quake conversion Zerstorer? hur hur. Closure at the end of a game is most necessary, but because of that the medium doesn't lend itself to contiguous antagonism. How many game villains have been ressurected from certain death time and time again? Kane from C&C... Shodan in SS2... Shang Tsung in Mortal Kombat... Doh in Arkanoid, the list is endless. Games are episodic in nature and until someone releases a truly realised series of games with a consecutive and believable plotline, they won't be anything but. And such an undertaking would be a large affair. A project comparable to the LotR movie series, and requiring a similar leap of faith by financial backers.
Heavy Metal: Fakk 2 seems have been set up that way. The game ends about half way thru the story. Too bad it didn't sell very well. It was a cool game.
Old 07-22-2002, 04:09 PM   #37
Spider AL
A well-spoken villain...

Quote:
Heavy Metal: Fakk 2 seems have been set up that way. The game ends about half way thru the story. Too bad it didn't sell very well. It was a cool game.
Ahh yes, that's the problem... As an analogy, if Fellowship of the Ring hadn't sold out, it wouldn't have boded well for the other two in the series... A shame as you say. The public don't appreciate quality in any of its forms. Music, television and film. Poor quality sells, as long as it's bright and colourful.

[FW] Spider AL
--
Hewwo, meesa Jar-Jar Binks. Yeah. Excusing me, but me needs to go bust meesa head in with dissa claw-hammer, because yousa have stripped away meesa will to living.
Spider AL is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-25-2002, 10:27 PM   #38
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Hames, tv, movies, etc. are getting too expensive to be able to just "try" something anymore. The problem is that producers haven't learned yet that they are better off trying something new instead of making the lastest series in a long series of game, tv, movie clones. :P
Old 07-26-2002, 06:57 AM   #39
Captain Hagen

Didn't someone mention spamming somewhere?

We all comes to a point of no return, when we find that all our efforts has been useless...
we're just ripples in the sand...vanishing into sea... into time...
Captain Hagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-26-2002, 08:20 AM   #40
Ben_Walker
Smartass

I think if there was going to be another game in the JK series, it would be set in the NJO timeline. There would be a challenge but unfortunity not dark Jedi to beat up. It But then again, after that game you might rather go head to head against 1000000 Desann's than fight the Yuuzhan Vong army.

Remember the breeze across your face
Remember the swaying sleeves in the wind
Remember the grains of sand beneath your feet
between your toes
Remember the freedom in the never ending waves

Remember I'll be at the beach.

Jedi Academy - Renaissance
Ben_Walker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > "And they say that a hero can save us, but Kyle is getting too old...."