lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar
View Poll Results: Do you bow at the start of a duel because....
It shows honor and respect to my oppenent. 49 60.49%
My opponent did it first. 8 9.88%
My oppenent/everyone will give me a hard time if I don\'t. 4 4.94%
Nope, I don\'t bow. The honor and/or respect is implied in the act of accepting a duel. 13 16.05%
A combination of the previous three choices. 9 11.11%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 81. You may not vote on this poll

Thread: Do you bow at the start of a duel because....
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-01-2002, 04:17 AM   #1
munik
Banned

Do you bow at the start of a duel because....

My answer is the last, a combination. I don't really want to do it, because I feel that it's unecessary. The respect is implied. But mostly I do it so as not to be harassed.

Maybe if there was a quick key to do it, but I would rather prefer a soldiers salute or something, like lifting your saber hand in front of your face, saber pointing straight up, looking at your opponent. To me that seems more fitting, a simple gesture, an acknowledgement of your foe. And it doesn't leave you defensless, in fact it is more in line with two people who are about to kill eachother. Prostating yourself with your weapon sheathed seems more like a signal of defeat, a show of submission I don't like to show an opponent.
munik is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 04:44 AM   #2
Dyslexic Jodi

I'm with you Munik. It's usually a mixture - I prefer a quick nod but hey, guess what, some peeps miss that and assume I didn't do anything. I once combo'd a guy using 2 or 3 rotating blue, a blue lunge, somersault back then the yellow DFA for a finish - he called me a n00b for 'not' bowing...

Anyways, I *always* respect my opponent even if they spam moves, etc, etc.

But if you fight someone who is an idiot, relax in the knowledge that they'll probably be an idiot outside of the game too.

Dyslexic Jodi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 05:49 AM   #3
Vaaghoofd

U have forgotten the option: I bow so I can lunge immediately.
I had that yesterday, I accepted the duel, we bowed and before I knew it he lunged and killed me outright.
Vaaghoofd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 08:31 AM   #4
Th@_BoZkUrT

i dont bow to people i dont know!!

there are not worthy of my bow

GRTZ from Xanatos

Th@_BoZkUrT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 08:41 AM   #5
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Post Not that I have anything against "honor" per se, but...

Let's put it this way... the way to win my respect is to beat me (without cheating, of course). ; )
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 02:56 PM   #6
razorace
Impressive, Terran!

Me, I don't see the point. No one ever bows in the movies. Now a saber salute would be cool to have in the game.

---Jedi Guardian of the Newbie Questions
---Masters of the Force Team Leader / Creator
---Open Jedi Project Lead Moderator / Co-Founder
razorace is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 05:18 PM   #7
LivingSacrifice

Location: Oklahoma...where the men are men, and the sheep are scared.
If they bow first, I will bow. If not, I don't. That simple. But then I always keep an eye on my opponent while bowing also, one time I got DFA'd when I was bowing after he had bowed to me first.

Lesson learned.

Peace

The BBC would like 'to announce that the next scene is not considered suitable for family viewing. It contains scenes of violence, involving people's heads and arms getting chopped off, their ears nailed to trees, and their toenails pulled out in slow motion. There are also scenes of naked women with floppy breasts, and also at one point you can see a pair of buttocks and there's another bit where I'll swear you can see everything, but my friend says it's just the way he's holding the spear. Because of the unsuitability of the scene, the BBC will be replacing it with a scene from a repeat of 'Gardening Club' for I958
LivingSacrifice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 05:28 PM   #8
Hanch Saode

Wouldn't it look cool, if both players cycled through their saberstyles...ending with Stron stylw, which is a style looking much like a gesture...

Try it, and you will get my point...So if both players had switched on light style, and then cycled to strong...that would be a nice gesture too IMO!

"We're keepers of the peace... not soldiers."

Mace Windu - AOTC
Hanch Saode is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 06:11 PM   #9
sexcellent

i NEVER bow just because i feel its a rediculous custom to apply to a video game. i am a martial artist and i bow in real life for real reasons, not because i'm playing a video game against someone!
sexcellent is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 09:01 PM   #10
ryudom

i bow because it gives some order to the duel. you don't need too, but when people start fighting right away it feels like i'm fighting a bot. i usually bow to anyone, even if they try to kill me while bowing. try is the key word there
ryudom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-01-2002, 09:32 PM   #11
Caster

They can bow all they want. I just tend to taunt them and faint an attack.

Fuel burning space polluting X-Wings!
You probably have seat
belts with those shield of yours!
Caster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 02:28 AM   #12
Lunatic Jedi
Don't make me use this!

I bow, even if they don't and start attacking me. I dodge as soon as they attack. And that leaves them wide open for an attack from the rear. I remember I once got my sweet revenge when I bowed to a guy who tried to DFA me in mid-bow. I cartwheeled left and used one strong swing to kill him during that pause when he landed.

Afterwards I told him, "I hope that taught you a lesson..." then he left.

http://linuxsupportdesk.net/pichost/...unaticJed1.gif removed [img] tags due to HTTP 401 response --tk102

"Yes. The pain you feel is your very essence, the essence of the crude animal known as Homo Sapien."

-Millions Knives
Lunatic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 08:26 AM   #13
C'jais
Spicy Viking Boy

I'm with ryudom here - It makes it more controlled and people can see that they're both ready to fight. There's no "honor" in it, but it's better than racing straight for your opponent and try to catch him off his feet.

But then again, my bow is a small nod , so it rarely gets noticed and that can upset some people... geeez...

Better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not.

Member of The Scandinavian Clique

My LiveJournal
C'jais is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 01:11 PM   #14
Sith Maximus

I think that a bow between oponents gives you both a quick second to ease your mind into the knowledge that you are going to fight one person and one person only. You can then get yoursel into the posiotn of chhoice for the duel. If someone does not bow my opinion is that they are unskilled, new, or just want to get the drop on you. I just roll backwards as soon as I accept a duel from someone. This puts enough distance from us so that I can watch thier saber style and hands if they leave the saber on. Then I they wind up for an attack I will see it. I also stay in yellow so if they go for the lunge, most non-bowers that I have dueled with do, I just yellow special their a** and kill them in one move. Then I just tell them to bow next time. Nine out of ten times they want a remach and will bow this time.

Just play the game......do not complain about it!
Sith Maximus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 01:28 PM   #15
Sam

wow thats exactly what I do

Nobodys prefect perfect
Sam is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 02:52 PM   #16
Agen
The Spoon Guy

I dunno, on certain servers i bow as a ritual thing to give me goodl uck, and i aint superstitious, just a way of setting myself up i feel.
Agen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 03:47 PM   #17
Apprentice

I bow for none of the reasons above.
To answer people that say "bowing is not part of the movies"..
I would say that is not completely true.
Quaigon bows several times in episode one.
This I think goes back to Lucas and his appretiation of Japanese culture(and his love of Kurosawa films).

Interesting info from http://www.shinnova.com/part/99-japa/abj16-e.htm

Quote:
Bowing represents humility. You elevate, honour, and respect the other person by humbling yourself or lowering yourself. The lower you bow, the more you are honouring or respecting the other party. As a Westerner, you are not expected to initiate a bow, but a bow should always be returned (except from personnel at department stores and restaurants who bow to welcome you, and to whom you can nod in return if you like). To not bow in return is similar to refusing a hand shake.
Apprentice is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 08:08 PM   #18
Robrob

I wait for them to bow and then I kill them. It's that easy.
Robrob is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 08:25 PM   #19
Homosexual Ewok

I usually do the "Sportsmanís Bow".
Stay in heavy stance and do a fast crouch.
It has nothing to do with "respect"; it is simply a way of telling your opponent you are ready for the match to commence.

You don't have to "line up", just get in their field of vision and do it.
It also helps keeps the pace of duels fast rather than having to "go to the center every time and do the whole bow thing" at the start of each round.
Homosexual Ewok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 09:15 PM   #20
Canis_Aureus

Quote:
Originally posted by sexcellent
i NEVER bow just because i feel its a rediculous custom to apply to a video game. i am a martial artist and i bow in real life for real reasons, not because i'm playing a video game against someone!
So you don't believe in showing people respect online? It might be a video game, but everything in life can be looked upon this way. I behave online as I would in real life! And why? Because the people I am with online are in fact real people.... not just a binary code. I am a martial artist too, have practiced Shotokan Karate for 9 years and Taekwondo before that. I believe in honour and respect and it applies to all aspects of life... also online life. I would never bow to a bot on a server... but a real person deserves that. But if I am fighting someone who has been a lamer (typekilling etc.) I never bow... I just wait for him to get his saber out and then I attack. People deserve my respect until they have proven otherwise!

MP name
Invictus

---

"The path to the gay side scripts are"

Quanta pugna est doctissimorum hominum.
Diuturnitate pugnae defessi proelio excedebant.
Canis_Aureus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 10:04 PM   #21
Mystical Jedi

Of course you wouldn't usually see bowing in a lightsaber duel. (mostly you bow in like karate fights or something) But still it does show honor and respect to the opponent. Though if the opponent doesn't bow and kinda stares at you...you get a strange feeling. So i go with the combination.
Mystical Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-02-2002, 11:08 PM   #22
Jubatus

I play duel exclusively and I bow, but not for respect. For me it's a mix of some of the abovementioned; to make clear to eachother that you're ready, but more importantly because it is a duel, a test of skills agreed upon by two combatants and not just some incindental meeting by two opposing forces.

A duel is an ancient, formal tradition found in almost any culture. A duel has a certain set of rules (that may differ from region to region). Ideally each opponent has a second making sure the duel is conducted in accordance with these rules, but in this game such a feature is not available. The greeting of your opponent and thus signaling you're ready is an essential part.

Basically I bow to signal I'm ready but also for my own personal sense of honour I regard as important to me while observing it is a duel in which I participate.

I've read alot of arguments about honour and respect being uncalled for in a video game like this, but to me only the media has changed. It's still two people testing their skills against eachother. Furthermore it does add some flavour to the experience.

-]H-P[-Jubatus - All bow down to TROGDOR the BURNINATOR!

Ode to a

Hey, you there! What we count in numbers we lack in wit.
Hey, you there! I take orders from an imperial git.
Hey, you there! I can't shot for sh*t.
Hey, you there!....Is there a bottom to this pit?
Jubatus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2002, 02:56 AM   #23
NerfYoda
Grumpy Old Man

I bow before duels unless I'm dueling the same fella over and over again. It's my way of saying "good luck" (and the whole honor and respect thing ).

aka DJ Sith of the Jedi Academy
My car is made of Nerf.
NerfYoda is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2002, 04:50 AM   #24
Lunatic Jedi
Don't make me use this!

I bow mainly to show my own sense of respect and honor to my opponent. Alright... I do it so they'll think I'm skilled.

http://linuxsupportdesk.net/pichost/...unaticJed1.gif removed [img] tags due to HTTP 401 response --tk102

"Yes. The pain you feel is your very essence, the essence of the crude animal known as Homo Sapien."

-Millions Knives
Lunatic Jedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2002, 03:05 PM   #25
SUPERLEN

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Canis_Aureus
[B]

(So you don't believe in showing people respect online? It might be a video on this way. I behave online as I would in real life! And why? Because the people I am with online are in fact real people.... not just a binary code. I am a martial artist too, have practiced Shotokan Karate for 9 years and Taekwondo before that. I believe in honour and respect and it applies to all aspects of life... also online life. I would never bow to a bot on a server... but a real person deserves that. )

Amen to that! I too am a Taekwondo stylist...and I bow before matches online too. Why? Because I live my whole life with honor. You may kill me while I bow...but it will only happen once!

Reptile Iron
IRON Brigade Iron Jedis
SUPERLEN is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2002, 05:51 PM   #26
hoverbeast

I dont have the game yet,but when I do ill bow because its a way of saying'let the best man win'.Ill bow not to be respected,but to respect others.And then ill activate my lightsaber meaning'im ready when you are'.

Video games are my life.Take them away and I become nothing more than dust.Same thing with computers and couches.
hoverbeast is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-03-2002, 10:11 PM   #27
sexcellent

Canis_Aureus and Superlen...

i hear what you're saying, in brazillian jiu jitsu we bow before we enter or leave the mats to an instructor simply becuause it shows honor to the instructor and lets him know if someone's going to be in the bathroom where they might pass out and crack their head on the toilet. that actually happened to someone and we were able to save his life becuase the instructor knew he was in the basthroom.

in a video game i just think its rediculous to apply such a custom, i dont care if people bow... do it all you want i will just use the jedimod command to /shake at you! if in a competition or sparring match in real life you best believe i will bow back at the other person if they bow to me.

Brazillian Jiu Jitsu forever!
sexcellent is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-04-2002, 01:22 AM   #28
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

I'm more interested in whether or not those of you who do not bow would attack someone who does whil they're in the middle of a bow.

I'd hate to think that there are those who practice this, although I know there are many who do. I've met them, and feel a sense of dislike for these people. But thats just me.

I usually bow, mostly because it's now customary to give at least a quick nod. If the duelist is a very good one and they have my respect, they get the full out duck-look down bow. It's a way of saying "You're damn good and I know it, good luck." rather than typing it.

ShockV1.89
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Do you bow at the start of a duel because....