lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Multiple MAP files for one level?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-12-2002, 09:35 PM   #1
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Question Multiple MAP files for one level?

Would it be possible to have multiple map files for one singleplayer level/mission? Like in Deus Ex, you cross into another section of the map, and it takes a few seconds to load the new area and unload the previous spot, so that you can have better performance in the new area. You can also move back and forth and everything in the world will be in the same place. It's like loading another map when you hit a trigger, but being able to go back to the old part and everything would be the same. I think Half-Life had something like this, too.

Anyone know of how this could be possible?

Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two clarionets.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-12-2002, 11:32 PM   #2
Drakewl

i don't think it will ever happen, the chance is just too small that somebody takes the burden to code this, which is imho not a matter of a just few code functions

if you leave one part of the map to access another the game would have to make a file like a safegame to keep status over killed npcs, mission targets, items, destroyed brushwork (breakables), active, passive and dead triggers, etc.

Halflife supported the system cuz it made a lot of variety in models, textures, sounds, scripts possible.
They used map sequences or rows, call it how you like it. If you safe while being in level 3 and you can still reaccess lvl 2 and 1, the safegame will be pretty big. But from time to time you passed points were a return was not possible anymore, so the size of the safegame was much smaller than before.
But i dunno if the realtime status of level sequences was cached or safed in a temporary file if you reached another level.
Drakewl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-13-2002, 11:40 PM   #3
Joben

I was just wanting this too Emon...

A facility for quotation covers the abscence of original thought- Lord Peter Wimsey

i dont like quake, never liked quake, and i dont like SW-themed quake. so basically jk2mp.exe does not get used on my computer.
-idontlikegeorge
Joben is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-14-2002, 01:43 AM   #4
idontlikegeorge

Location: Striking fear into the hearts of Demolicans and Republicrats.
well, the half-life style you can do that - i think it was all seperate .bsps for each segment

although youd need to do some heavy scripting; itd be easier if icarus can carry global variables between maps - i was thinking having a coupla "levels" set in a city, where youd have to go from one side to the other, and back

cuz i think the target_levelchange can choose a specific spawn to use in the oncoming map
idontlikegeorge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Multiple MAP files for one level?