lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: I think this needs to be said
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 08-25-2002, 02:33 PM   #1
RpTheHotrod
LFN Staff Emeritus

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! Forum Veteran 
I think this needs to be said

noob this, noob that, the fact is, most people calling others "noobs" is because of the noob-caller acting like a noob himself. They cover their tracks by taking it out of someone else.

Now, a true noob:
Noob=Newbie
Newbie :

Someone very new to the game
Examples?

>Lightning people over and over, running away for more power, and lightning more....when the other person has absorb the entire time.

>Shooting blasters at people with sabers drawn

> Asking basic questions

> Mad about cheaters who can do special moves (wall walk cheat, for example :P )

Now, what everyone today seems to call a noob...

push n00b
pull n00b
kick n00b
lightning n00b
absorb n00b
weapon n00b
I could go on.

Now, all because someone pushes you off a ledge doesn't mean they are a noob. All because someone fries you with lightning doesn't mean it's their first day to play. The fact is, noob-calling is just a way to cover people's own crappy style of playing.

Here's an example in ctf_bespin:

Someone is on offense, and the team is suffering on defense. They switch to defense. They jump up onto the ledge above that hallway (with no wall). Someone from the enemy team does speed+rage and keeps jumping across the pit, but dying because the person on the ledge simply pulls them once and they fall to their doom. This happens about 50 times, and during the whole time, the speed-rager keeps calling him a pull n00b, because "he has no skillz and ain't ub3r like I am, he's scared to fight, a wimp, and so new he can't do anything but pull, wah wah"...etc...your basic whine. Well, instead of the speed-rager being a smart player and switching his tactic, he keeps jumping over the pit, gets even more angry, calls him names, curses, screams, calling him n00b, changing his name like the puller's name but adding an insult to it. All because the puller stands there, and EASILY kills the speed-rager because of the dumb moves of the speed-rager, does NOT mean the puller is new to the came/is lame/is dumb/has no skills.

Tell me, who is acting more "noobish" in that example:

The person who defends his flag successfully, easily killing off someone over and over.

-OR-

The person who dies over and over, doing the same thing over and over, which obviously isn't working at all, and isntead of countering the problem, starts crying about it.

He would respond, "THERE'S NO WAY AROUND IT!" Well, hmmm, stop jumping over a pit, go the normal way, get absorb, get push/pull yourself, use mind trick, shoot the guy on the ledge once which would make him fall.

Here is the problem. This i why the patches bring on nerfs. Instead of people countering stuff, they whine about it and cry for nerfs. "EVERYTIME I JUST STAND THERE AND GET HIT BY A SABER THROW INSTEAD OF DODGING OUT OF THE WAY AND KILLING THE OTHER PERSON SINCE HE LOWERED HIS DEFENSE WITH A FRICKEN BLASTER PISTOL, I SAY SABER THROW SHOULD BE NERFED, BECAUSE IT HURTS YOU AND I'M TOO LAZY TO MOVE TWO FEET TO THE RIGHT"

Pretty much, that's how most nerfs come into ANY game.

If someone is bugging you, instead of getting into a huge argument, just leave the server, find another one. Don't let them ruin your fun.

All in all, this post sums the following up:

When you die over and over, stop blaming it on others, keep your mouth shut,don't call them n00bs, because more than likely they arn't. Hey, you think a n00b would be so well at destroying your "unbeatable" play-style?Learn to counter what you face. You're special gameplay isn't meant to be unbeatable. You'll always find someone breaking your play style. (A speed-rager, for example...excellent for getting flags, but if someone is smart and learns to counter YOUR play-style, then you need to learn to counter THEIR play-style)

All in all... to quote one of the most simple and truthful sayings through-out JK2:Outcast, "Stop yer whinin' and play!"

Current in-game name is #include
RpTheHotrod is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > I think this needs to be said