lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Getting started in making hobby-level games
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-19-2002, 05:55 PM   #1
Skib

Getting started in making hobby-level games

I know of AGS and RPG2000, but are there other "game creation" programs around? I'm interested in making a game, probably not an adventure game, definitly not an RPG, but most likely something along the lines of Super Mario Bros. I Don't know C or C++ or C#. But I have an idea of how programming languages work since i'm pretty proficient in HTML and Javascript, and have fooled around with making BASIC games on my TI-83+. I know I'm not going to download something, sit down, and bang out the next Counter-Strike and i'm willing to learn a program's scripting language. What next?
Skib is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2002, 05:42 AM   #2
Doodle Dude of Doom

Oh nice you want to learn. Anyway if you are going to learn making c++ you'll need a program. You should buy Visual c++ then, its good learn and create progam. Although if you not want to learn c# then I recommend Clickteams products like the games facotry or something. Go to www.clickteam.com or was it clickteam.co.uk?

I live here... This is where I belong... No I am kidding
Doodle Dude of Doom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2002, 06:54 AM   #3
Erwin_Br
Swinging!

LFN Staff Member 
I'd go with clickteam too.

Games Factory is waaaay too old though, I don't think they'll even sell it anymore. They offer two great products called MultiMedia Fusion and Jamagic.

MultiMedia Fusion is an event-based system (like Games Factory) which means that you can make a game on pre-defined events (e.g. when object X <collides> with object Y then do <action>) which you can alter and link together just with a simple mouseclick. It's quite flexible and you can almost make any game with it.

Jamagic is a scripting language. It's syntax is very close to JavaScript. Of course Jamagic is a bit more powerful and flexible than MultiMedia Fusion.

Clickteam's website

--Erwin

Visit Adventure Developers! - Your hub for independent and hobbyist adventure development.
Erwin_Br is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-20-2002, 07:31 AM   #4
Doodle Dude of Doom

yes.... multimaedia fusion is great! look here: www.hatefulchris.com is a great game wich is created in m.fusion

I live here... This is where I belong... No I am kidding
Doodle Dude of Doom is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-21-2002, 04:37 AM   #5
jannar85

I want you to do a search on something like that, mmm, what about PAGAN?

http://www.geocities.com/roy_lazarovich/Pagan/

That's a great toolkit for creating SMB games.

Regards,
Atle Ragnar Jarnæs Lerøy | Gamedeveloper

Runestone Entertainment

Stay tuned. Soon Launched.
Roger Foodbelly -.- Official Site
jannar85 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > AdventureDevelopers.com > Adventure Developer Discussion > General Chat > Getting started in making hobby-level games