lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Feedback For Artifex (promod)
Thread Tools Display Modes
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-07-2002, 04:42 PM   #1
crazyplaya73
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 262
Feedback For Artifex (promod)

Last week I installed Promod on my server (PROMOD SMORGASBORD!!!). Soon after it was running Artifex joined the server and informed me that I had the something configured wrong and he helped me fix it. Thanks Artifex! (I was playing under the name "RAGE")

After playing the mod here are my impressions:

1) Great balance between mercs and Jedi. In FFA Sometimes Jedi won and other times mecs won. Even with no health packs the mercs seem to have a slight advantage but that is the way it should be I think. I like the fact that you can't use all weapons and force powers like some uber jedi-merc dude.

2) Fun saber system but I still don't know what all the extra little do-dads do yet!

3) Great one on one duels. Does it allow more then one duel at the same time in FFA?

4) Question: What should I set for saber trace and ghoul2 collision? (off or on)

5) The jetpack is cool (what is the bind for it?)

6) Jumping off walls is cool

7) My server has not crashed so the code is stable


What I would love to see added:

1) Since landing kicks is more difficult now I would love to see more knock downs from kicking.

2) Have you fixed the saber throw + push exploit? Sorry I have not tested it yet.

3) Possibility of a saber knock down when throwing saber

4) I am going to get flamed for this but I would LOVE to have some of the old saber moves back! Flying blue lunge (without the falling down bug), DFA with limited movement, and of course the backstab with limited movement. If there was some way to have limited movement instead of full movement it would be great but with full movement I could see the problems in that.

But even with full mevement things are different now. DFA is blockable. Knock downs are not so easy like before and back stab is less powerful so I can't see the ass-fighting coming back. Why should you be frozen when you DFA or backstab. It feels so restrictive and lame. It just does not feel right to me to be locked into this move and you are totally volnerable until the animation finishes. I like fights with style and special moves are a big factor in bringing the style back. It can get boring at times. I see a lot of button mashers now. Swinging and spinning with no style.

But anyway great mod Artifex! Keep it up!

Last edited by crazyplaya73; 12-07-2002 at 04:52 PM.
crazyplaya73 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2002, 01:23 AM   #2
ArtifeX
 
ArtifeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 946
Re: Feedback For Artifex (promod)

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyplaya73
Last week I installed Promod on my server (PROMOD SMORGASBORD!!!). Soon after it was running Artifex joined the server and informed me that I had the something configured wrong and he helped me fix it. Thanks Artifex! (I was playing under the name "RAGE")

After playing the mod here are my impressions:

1) Great balance between mercs and Jedi. In FFA Sometimes Jedi won and other times mecs won. Even with no health packs the mercs seem to have a slight advantage but that is the way it should be I think. I like the fact that you can't use all weapons and force powers like some uber jedi-merc dude.

2) Fun saber system but I still don't know what all the extra little do-dads do yet!

Check the official page (in my sig below) for the strategy guides that explain the intricacies of the saber combat.
Quote:

3) Great one on one duels. Does it allow more then one duel at the same time in FFA?

Yes!
Quote:

4) Question: What should I set for saber trace and ghoul2 collision? (off or on)

Just leave them at their default settings and you're fine.
Quote:

5) The jetpack is cool (what is the bind for it?)

/bind x +button12
or just look for it in the controls->movement menu
Quote:

6) Jumping off walls is cool

7) My server has not crashed so the code is stable


What I would love to see added:

1) Since landing kicks is more difficult now I would love to see more knock downs from kicking.

Front kicks do damage, but never knock anyone down. Side kicks never do damage but do knock them back and can knock them down if your aim is good enough.
Quote:

2) Have you fixed the saber throw + push exploit? Sorry I have not tested it yet.

In a way, yes. Any player can duck on the ground to make himself completely invulnerable to Pull/Push. You won't even do the counter-push animation which left you open to the saber throw while crouched.
Quote:

3) Possibility of a saber knock down when throwing saber

4) I am going to get flamed for this but I would LOVE to have some of the old saber moves back! Flying blue lunge (without the falling down bug), DFA with limited movement, and of course the backstab with limited movement. If there was some way to have limited movement instead of full movement it would be great but with full movement I could see the problems in that.

But even with full mevement things are different now. DFA is blockable. Knock downs are not so easy like before and back stab is less powerful so I can't see the ass-fighting coming back. Why should you be frozen when you DFA or backstab. It feels so restrictive and lame. It just does not feel right to me to be locked into this move and you are totally volnerable until the animation finishes. I like fights with style and special moves are a big factor in bringing the style back. It can get boring at times. I see a lot of button mashers now. Swinging and spinning with no style.

But anyway great mod Artifex! Keep it up!


Glad you're enjoying the mod!


Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2002, 07:48 PM   #3
crazyplaya73
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 262
Thanks for getting back to me on this stuff.

I really have to check out your guide. I've been doing OK just cause I know that aim is very important. I also play SOF2 so aim is a good thing.

The server seems empty lately but it was hopping the first couple of days. They probably migrated to other servers that have made the switch to Promod. It cool though the server runs itself. It hasn't crashed yet. I really have to get some new maps. Do you have a list of maps or a map pack to go with Promod? That would be great for servers and players to have the same files. Are there any new skins that I should be getting? I have not downloaded any new skins for a long time.

Peace.
crazyplaya73 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-09-2002, 07:51 AM   #4
ArtifeX
 
ArtifeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally posted by crazyplaya73
Thanks for getting back to me on this stuff.

I really have to check out your guide. I've been doing OK just cause I know that aim is very important. I also play SOF2 so aim is a good thing.

The server seems empty lately but it was hopping the first couple of days. They probably migrated to other servers that have made the switch to Promod. It cool though the server runs itself. It hasn't crashed yet. I really have to get some new maps. Do you have a list of maps or a map pack to go with Promod? That would be great for servers and players to have the same files. Are there any new skins that I should be getting? I have not downloaded any new skins for a long time.

Peace.
I'll be putting together the Promod Media Pack 1 very soon. It will contain what I think are the A-list of the community made maps/skins/models all in one package. I'm hoping the file will end up being around 30meg or so.


Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2002, 02:41 AM   #5
Syfo-Dyas
 
Syfo-Dyas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth and vicinity
Posts: 129
Re: Feedback For Artifex (promod)

Quote:
Originally posted by crazyplaya73

. I like fights with style and special moves are a big factor in bringing the style back. It can get boring at times. I see a lot of button mashers now. Swinging and spinning with no style.
But anyway great mod Artifex! Keep it up!
crazyplaya73, I hear ya! Now, would agree that at least some of the reason for that is because the game moves too fast for Sabers to really put a lot of thought and accuracy into their moves? I think the normal speed works better for guns. But I just don't think it's condusive to good saber fights.

I don't know if it's possible to adjust the gamespeed (timescale) at the server for the clients, but would you consider trying it at a slower speed? 0.6 or 0.7? I think these move much closer to the speed 'real' people move. I play against BOTs this way all of the time, and personally I enjoy it more. I know others will feel differently about this -and that's fine. But it would be great to have just 1 server do this, and see what kind of feedback it gets.


Syfo ~ Dyas

Got ProMod???

ProMod homepage: www.oculis.org/promod
Syfo-Dyas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2002, 05:53 AM   #6
crazyplaya73
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 262
There is a G_SPEED variable that allows the server to lower the game speed. Some players like it slower and others do not. I might try lowering it to like 210 to see how that plays. The default setting is 250.
crazyplaya73 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2002, 08:35 AM   #7
ksk h2o
 
ksk h2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 463
I personally hate slow-mo jkii games. I feel like I'm playing a handicapped version of the game.

I once ran into a CTF server running at timescale .5 with people just fighting each other... got kicked for playing ctf on a ctf sever, waaah.

lower timescales do help with lag though.
ksk h2o is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2002, 08:41 AM   #8
Viperwon-kenobi
 
Viperwon-kenobi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Posts: 6
I haven't played much of the mod but I like the class system you've made for ffa, I can now run around as a jedi and take on heaps of stormies or battle droids and chop them down in one hit unlike before, I also like the fact that you can't just pick up any old weapon, so far this mod gives jk2 something it should have had from the start, the ability to play a particulare character with thier skills. ie... jedi or bounty hunter for example......

What I would like to see added....

A way if possible to block force lightning with your saber, but only have it that jedi and higher can do it, not padawans, and have it only work if your facing your opponent, so if your not you get hit.

ability to lose your saber more frequntly when your knocked down and so forth....

make force push actually knock a non jedi player or ai bot over when used.....

I would love to see the above added to the mod but its ok if its not added, but it would be cool.....
Viperwon-kenobi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2002, 03:40 PM   #9
ksk h2o
 
ksk h2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 463
There are way too many Promod threads...

Since there allready is a bug thread, this seems to be the suggestions thread... so...

I was thinking of something, if a player "buys" a weapon skill, he had the right to pick up all ammo and weapons of that right? Well this comes in handy for jedi that pull weapons. But the downside is, if you allready have full ammo in that weapon type, the pulled weapon will stay on the floor. Since you allready "bought" that weapon, I thought jedi should be able to pull-pickup the weapons they bought with skill points regardless of the ammo they have (since they essentialy wont be firing the weapons). Detail maybe but would be a nice touch.
ksk h2o is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2002, 01:22 AM   #10
Syfo-Dyas
 
Syfo-Dyas's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
Location: Earth and vicinity
Posts: 129
Quote:
Originally posted by ksk h2o
I personally hate slow-mo jkii games.

I once ran into a CTF server running at timescale .5 with people just fighting each other
.5 is pretty slow... I find a pretty big difference between 0.5 and 0.6 -though you wouldn't think it would matter much.

Are you a gunner or saberist? I would think saberists would prefer it slower, but maybe I'm a minority (would be the first time...)

Are you saying that the server was using the 'Timescale' command? Or was it the 'G_Speed' command mentioned earlier?


Syfo ~ Dyas

Got ProMod???

ProMod homepage: www.oculis.org/promod
Syfo-Dyas is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2002, 04:28 AM   #11
ksk h2o
 
ksk h2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 463
I think it was the timescale command. Whats the g_speed command? I know that lowering timescale will slow down all events and help out with laggy players (ping times decreased proportionally). If you set timescale to anything higher than 1 though, it's bye bye players

I'm a saber guy when it comes to JKII. But I still like the default game speed I have to say. Yes it's easier and more comprehensible when the game is slowed down but I feel like my guy is stuck in mud or wading through water. It just bothers me that everything is slower, for some reason. But hey, I'm the type of guy that held down the run button in mario back in the nes days all throughout the game (or in any other game where there is a run button for that matter).
ksk h2o is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2002, 09:17 AM   #12
ArtifeX
 
ArtifeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally posted by ksk h2o
There are way too many Promod threads...

Since there allready is a bug thread, this seems to be the suggestions thread... so...

I was thinking of something, if a player "buys" a weapon skill, he had the right to pick up all ammo and weapons of that right? Well this comes in handy for jedi that pull weapons. But the downside is, if you allready have full ammo in that weapon type, the pulled weapon will stay on the floor. Since you allready "bought" that weapon, I thought jedi should be able to pull-pickup the weapons they bought with skill points regardless of the ammo they have (since they essentialy wont be firing the weapons). Detail maybe but would be a nice touch.
I could've sworn that you could pick up any dropped weapon if you had a skill for it... Maybe I'm wrong though. I'd say an easy fix for this would be to switch to that particular weapon and cap off a few rounds so that you're not at full ammo when you get into a weapon-pulling fight.


Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2002, 09:58 AM   #13
ksk h2o
 
ksk h2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 463
I'm quite sure there were a few times I didnt pick up a weapon that I pulled even though I had the skill for it... I though it to be due to ammo... not 100% on this though... I'll try it out with bots later to make sure.

The problem with the quick easy fix is that if you actually spend your time switching to the weapons in your disposal to fira off a few frounds before going in for a fight, you'll most likely be killed while doing so. Well that fixes your problem too I guess since you now have no ammo whatsoever

My suggestion was to avoid that particular waste of time and kill. Since I spend a few valuable skill points to get that accursed DEMP2, I want to be real fast in going in near the gunner and pulling it out of his hands. No time to pull it out and fire off a few rounds in the air like a ghetto superstar
ksk h2o is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2002, 02:46 PM   #14
griff38
 
griff38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IN THE MACHINE
Posts: 938
errors

I keep getting the following error bumping me off the server,

CL_SETGAMETIME !CL.SNAP.VALID. I can usually connect back without a problem though.


Does anyone know what causes this?


All comments welcome.

griff38 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2002, 08:52 AM   #15
ksk h2o
 
ksk h2o's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2002
Posts: 463
I've been thinking of a couple of suggestions for the next release. Just my two cents...

The most popular mods out there give a lot of admin fuctions. This is good for clan servers since it allows crowd control. The best admin mod I've seen (imho) is the vulcanus admin mod. Jedi plus just jacked the major functions of this mod. I was thinking it would be cool if the next version of Promod would incorporate the features of Vadmin mod (with Mars' consent of course). It would make it a lot more attractive for clan servers since it would give the admins the control they so desire.

I wont waste time on cosmetic suggestions, people like them, emotes can be cute and all... a fast saber color selector (default colors) is a must though. As for dual sabers, double bladed thingie pops... well... I think promod should stay clear of them untill a VERY smart way of balancing them out against a single saber is worked out (a lot of work probably).

ksk h2o is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2002, 09:30 AM   #16
ArtifeX
 
ArtifeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 946
Re: errors

Quote:
Originally posted by griff38
I keep getting the following error bumping me off the server,

CL_SETGAMETIME !CL.SNAP.VALID. I can usually connect back without a problem though.


Does anyone know what causes this?


All comments welcome.
Hmm, that's a weird one. Sounds like your machine is getting out of synch with the server. What kind of connection are you on, broadband or dial-up?


Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2002, 09:40 AM   #17
ArtifeX
 
ArtifeX's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2001
Location: Atlanta, GA
Posts: 946
Quote:
Originally posted by ksk h2o
I've been thinking of a couple of suggestions for the next release. Just my two cents...

The most popular mods out there give a lot of admin fuctions. This is good for clan servers since it allows crowd control. The best admin mod I've seen (imho) is the vulcanus admin mod. Jedi plus just jacked the major functions of this mod. I was thinking it would be cool if the next version of Promod would incorporate the features of Vadmin mod (with Mars' consent of course). It would make it a lot more attractive for clan servers since it would give the admins the control they so desire.

I wont waste time on cosmetic suggestions, people like them, emotes can be cute and all... a fast saber color selector (default colors) is a must though. As for dual sabers, double bladed thingie pops... well... I think promod should stay clear of them untill a VERY smart way of balancing them out against a single saber is worked out (a lot of work probably).


I'll be looking at adding some admin style commands soon. Such commands are not solely the domain of Vulcanus, though. There's plenty of admin mods for other games like q3 and UT that use similar functionality.

I'll probably start with some admin commands that allow non-rcon access admins to do simple things like change maps, gametypes, and do map_restarts. I've had some other stuff suggested to me that may get in eventually also.


Artifex *ASC*
ArtifeX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-12-2002, 09:43 AM   #18
griff38
 
griff38's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2002
Location: IN THE MACHINE
Posts: 938
Thumbs up Connection

Using cable for now.
It's strange I have gotten the error before but it really seems to happen alot when I play on your server.

Its very inconsistant, I can't see a pattern.

griff38 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Outcast > Feedback For Artifex (promod)

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:53 AM.

LFNetwork, LLC ©2002-2011 - All rights reserved.
Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.