lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: ??????
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-10-2002, 08:42 AM   #1
peter james

??????

begin quote:
"You will go to the degobah system - there you will learn from Yoda - the jedi master who instructed me"
end quote.

wasnt he instructed by liam

GL prolly forgot about that - bad GL bad !

Dont sweat the petty things
Dont pet the sweatty things
peter james is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 11:04 AM   #2
Sarlacc Food

hmmmm u got a point there... :P
Sarlacc Food is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 11:23 AM   #3
ckcsaber
Almost there

Yoda was a headmaster in a sense. In a way he instucted everyone
ckcsaber is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 12:46 PM   #4
ET Warrior
PhD in horribleness

LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
and he obviously couldn't tell him to go train with QuiGon......because quigon was dead.

ET Warrior is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 01:43 PM   #5
Purple_Tentacle

after qui-gon died i believe that obiwan (as a jedi knight) learnt alot from yoda, it was between episode 1 & 2 where obi wan learnt the most about the force. this would make what obiwan said to luke true. and we have a thed about how it would have been pointless to tell luke about qui-gon.

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're and astronaut on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
Try this on for size.
Purple_Tentacle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 03:09 PM   #6
Taos
Jedi Council Member

Current Game: ToR beta & Kotor
LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran 
I agree with you purple tentacle!

Taos is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 04:14 PM   #7
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
Actually, I think Obi was trained by Yoda as a child before he was Qui-Gon's Padawan, like when you see Yoda training the kids in AOTC! I think that is what he was refering to. Just a thought.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 05:10 PM   #8
MaulerZ
Hoot

Quote:
Originally posted by leXX
Actually, I think Obi was trained by Yoda as a child before he was Qui-Gon's Padawan, like when you see Yoda training the kids in AOTC! I think that is what he was refering to. Just a thought.
I think so too I think he was part of Yoda's Younglings when he was a child then Qui-Gon went to the academy and chose him as his padawan

When I get home people'll ask me, "Hey Hoot, why do ya do it man? Why? Just some war junkie?" Ya know what I'll say? I won't say a goddamn word. Why? They won't understand. They won't understand why we do it. They won't understand that it's about the men next to you, and that's it. That's all it is.
MaulerZ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 09:28 PM   #9
JediNyt
Jedi Master

Duh thats how the training works. First with the Head Master then with a personal Master then your a Jedi. But youre always learning from everyone throughout your life, especially from Yoda.

May the Force be with you...
JediNyt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-10-2002, 11:28 PM   #10
mswanmmiv

Purple_tentacle, I like your signiture. Daft Punk!
mswanmmiv is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-11-2002, 12:02 AM   #11
Purple_Tentacle

Quote:
Originally posted by mswanmmiv
Purple_tentacle, I like your signiture. Daft Punk!
thanks

Fear can sometimes be a useful emotion. For instance, let's say you're and astronaut on the moon and you fear that your partner has been turned into Dracula. The next time he goes out for the moon pieces, wham!, you just slam the door behind him and blast off. He might call you on the radio and say he's not Dracula, but you just say, "Think again, bat man."
Try this on for size.
Purple_Tentacle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-13-2002, 05:48 PM   #12
Breton
Ta deg en bolle

Quote:
Originally posted by Purple_Tentacle
after qui-gon died i believe that obiwan (as a jedi knight) learnt alot from yoda, it was between episode 1 & 2 where obi wan learnt the most about the force. this would make what obiwan said to luke true. and we have a thed about how it would have been pointless to tell luke about qui-gon.
I must say that I disagree. I belive that you have to be fully trained to manage to face the trials, it would not have worked if each that became Jedi Knight would spend the next 10 years being trained even more. Obi-Wan was no longer being trained, he was now the trainer, and he should not be that if he was still "untrained". And we know quite sure that Obi-Wan spent most of his time travelling with Anakin, and since Yoda just sits around at the Jedi Temple all day, I doubt it even more.

Also, he wasn't very much better swordfighter in ep2 than in ep1. Few "untrained" would have been able to kill a sith lord.

One thing suprises me. Why didn't Obi-Wan follow the Living Force? Did he really trust Yoda more than his master? And at least in respect for Qui-Gon, he should have at least teached about the Living Force to Anakin.
Breton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 12:37 PM   #13
Andy867
McCan Caoma

Well, there was a lot that happened between Episode 1 and 2. Obi-wan apparently had to face the trials to become a Jedi Knight. and with 10 years, a lot of training could have happened. Because Palpatine was talking to Anakin, and Anakin kept saying about how Palpatine's guidance helped more than anything, or something like that. So there is a lot that isn't explained in the movies themself, just hints to them.

Shut yo face before I punch you in the mouth, break your teeth and call you Snaggle-tooth.
Andy867 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 01:14 PM   #14
Jedi_Monk

Quote:
Well, there was a lot that happened between Episode 1 and 2. Obi-wan apparently had to face the trials to become a Jedi Knight. and with 10 years, a lot of training could have happened. Because Palpatine was talking to Anakin, and Anakin kept saying about how Palpatine's guidance helped more than anything, or something like that. So there is a lot that isn't explained in the movies themself, just hints to them.
Yoda in Episode I: "Confer on you, the level of Jedi Knight the Council does..." So Obi-Wan was a Jedi Knight at the end of Episode I... more likely than not, the Council thought that killing a Sith Lord single-handedly was enough of a trial

Jedi_Monk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 02:06 PM   #15
Kryllith
Hideous Twit

Quote:
Originally posted by JM Qui-Gon Jinn
I must say that I disagree. I belive that you have to be fully trained to manage to face the trials, it would not have worked if each that became Jedi Knight would spend the next 10 years being trained even more.
What creates the distinction between Knight and Master then? Shear power perhaps? Or do Knights simply self-train to become masters?

Kryllith
Kryllith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 03:28 PM   #16
PowerBroker

Quote:
Originally posted by Kryllith
What creates the distinction between Knight and Master then? Shear power perhaps? Or do Knights simply self-train to become masters?
I think Masters are those who sit on the Jedi Council.

"Powerful you have become, Dooku. The
dark side I sense in you." Yoda, Attack of
the Clones, Chapter 46.
PowerBroker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 03:52 PM   #17
Andy867
McCan Caoma

From my understanding the tree to becoming a master is:

Padawan
Jedi Knight
Jedi Knight with apprentice
Jedi Master when your Apprentice becomes a Jedi Knight and begins instructing a padawan of their own.

I can't remember where I read that, but I do remember it being from a reliable source.

Shut yo face before I punch you in the mouth, break your teeth and call you Snaggle-tooth.
Old 11-25-2002, 07:49 PM   #18
boinga1
Pimpin' ain't easy

Quote:

Kryllith
You become a Master when your Padawan becomes a Knight. The title "master" (eg. master kenobi) is an honorary title granted when a Knight takes a padawan.
boinga1 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 08:33 PM   #19
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
Re: ??????

Quote:
Originally posted by peter james
begin quote:
"You will go to the degobah system - there you will learn from Yoda - the jedi master who instructed me"
end quote.

wasnt he instructed by liam

GL prolly forgot about that - bad GL bad !

the jedi apprentice books clear that up

until the age of 13 they are all instructed in the temple by all the masters, including Yoda. then when they reach the age of 13 they are choosen by a jedi knight to be their padawans. if they aren't choosen they have to leave the temple and join the agriculture corps.

that's why in TPM, when mace says THEY won't train anakin, qui-gonn says he will train him himself. because being 9 anakin is too young to be a padawan but too old to start temple training.

this is all EU of course, but i think it explains it pretty well
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2002, 10:42 PM   #20
Jedi_Monk

Quote:
this is all EU of course, but i think it explains it pretty well
Lucas says in the Episode I audio commentary that young Jedi train with Yoda until they're about seven or eight. So, yeah, Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda in the basics of Force use.

Jedi_Monk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2002, 08:06 PM   #21
Ratmjedi

Quote:
Lucas says in the Episode I audio commentary that young Jedi train with Yoda until they're about seven or eight. So, yeah, Obi-Wan was trained by Yoda in the basics of Force use.
He also says that in EP II when he is talking about the relationship between Anakin and his mother. Anakin was with his mother for a long time. That was why he went through all those dreams. If he had been trained by Yoda when he was a little kid he wouldn't of had those dreams that much. Yoda trains them at a young age. Then when they get to a certain age they go to being trained by other Jedi.

Ratmjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2002, 08:10 PM   #22
PowerBroker

Quote:
Originally posted by Ratmjedi
That was why he went through all those dreams.
He had those dreams because the force was relaying to him how much his mother was suffering. Probably because of his inability to control such delicate parts of the force, and because of his ultra high midi-chlorian count.

the Clones, Chapter 46.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:02 PM   #23
Andy867
McCan Caoma

Also, in Episode II, obi-wan doesn't think Anakin's abilities are atuned to sensing, like when the queen was about to be assassinated (Again). Yet, notice how Anakin detected the creatures before Obi-wan. Very peculiar.

Old 11-26-2002, 10:05 PM   #24
PowerBroker

Quote:
Originally posted by Andy867
Also, in Episode II, obi-wan doesn't think Anakin's abilities are atuned to sensing, like when the queen was about to be assassinated (Again). Yet, notice how Anakin detected the creatures before Obi-wan. Very peculiar.
I don't know if he sensed it first. I believe that they both assumed a facial expression detailing their knowledge of a threat at the same time, but Anakin spoke first. I could be wrong though, and it will take slow motion viewing and careful study to see who saw it first.

the Clones, Chapter 46.
Old 11-26-2002, 10:36 PM   #25
Ratmjedi

Quote:
Originally posted by PowerBroker

He had those dreams because the force was relaying to him how much his mother was suffering. Probably because of his inability to control such delicate parts of the force, and because of his ultra high midi-chlorian count.
If you watch the Comentary it is because his attachment to his mother. If he had been taken away to become a Jedi at a young age he would't of had those dreams about his mother because he wouldn't of been so attached. He was introduced to the Order at a old age so he was not able to be instructed by Yoda. He was a Padawan of Obi-Wan first so he did not go through the most basic training of a Jedi. Like there is no Emotion, there is only peace. He had emotion for his mother when he was not suppose to have any emotional attachent's to anything. The Force was only something that he could use to sense his mother more since he had feelings. Had he been trained it wouldn't effect him cause he would have no emotional attachments.

Ratmjedi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-26-2002, 10:41 PM   #26
Andy867
McCan Caoma

But all of what was done was because of the Force. the Force is like Fate in our world. Some things are meant to happen. Like How the Nubian Cruiser was supposed to land on Tattooine, and Qui-gon Jinn was supposed to meet Anakin. Therefore, Anakin was meant to do all things he did. And experience all the things he did. Sure they weren't pleasant, but in the end is when it counted. When Anakin switched sides of the force and came back to the light.

Old 12-13-2002, 02:28 AM   #27
BobaJango

Location: Playing KotOR on my 35 inch flat screen television in HD.
As far as I am concerned, the Jedi tree goes like this:

Trainee
Novice
Jedi Student
Jedi
Jedi Knight-Can train jedi
Jedi Master-Can train jedi
(The ones above were recieved from Star Wars: Rebellion.)
Great Warrior(only applies to Yoda.)

Any way, Obi began training Anakin right before Episode 1 ended (You saw the jedi outfit he was wearing.)

Look! A Fuzzy wuzzy bunny!
WHERE!?! (gunshots)
BobaJango is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-24-2002, 04:40 PM   #28
Breton
Ta deg en bolle

Quote:

Kryllith
"The next level of rank in the Jedi order is the Jedi Master, reserved for those who have shown exceptional devotion and skill in the Force. It is from the ranks of the Jedi Masters that the High Council is chosen, which is the main interface between the Jedi and the government of the Republic. " -From starwars.com

I belive that answers your question (though a bit late )
Breton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-25-2002, 10:54 AM   #29
Master Bodle

Not all the members of the council were Jedi Masters in Ep I, Ki Adi Mundi was still a jedi knight, but was a jedi master in EP II so he must have successfully trained a padawan to the rank of jedi knight.
Master Bodle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > ??????