lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Full Throttle 2 cancelled
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 08-07-2003, 07:11 PM   #1
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Full Throttle 2 cancelled

Ouch!

Read The Mojo!
MrManager is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 07:22 PM   #2
Owl

Yay! This game would've only given the first FT a bad name. I'm actually glad to hear this news.

"It's a squeaky little kitty!"
Owl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 07:40 PM   #3
Laserschwert

Notable contributor 
Yes, I must say, I'm glad too. It looked like crap (just like "JK3" and - sadly enough - "Sam & Max 2"), and was obviously very far from being an adventure.

I wouldn't have bought it anyway, so my sympathies go to the people who would have (whehter it will come out or not).

Laserschwert is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 07:54 PM   #4
bgbennyboy
Festively Plump

LFN Staff Member 
Feel the guilt everyone, thats right, feel it.
Actually no, bugger that, its a good thing that its been cancelled, it didnt look all that promising really.

bgbennyboy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 08:02 PM   #5
Ernil
.......fin.......

Though it didn't look so good, I was still excited to play Full Throttle II. Though, i'm sure many would have complained and bickered if it was a bad game, I still wish it would have come out. Perhaps, another GOOD looking one will come out. 'Till then, I'll be playing FT1.

Farewell,
Ernil

"Hammer and tongs! I am so torn between rage and joy, that if I do not burst, it will be a marvel!"
Ernil is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 08:20 PM   #6
jp-30

The International House of Mojo Staff 
While I'm glad LucasArts has the smarts to cancel a game that will not live up to the series, I'm also somewhat disappointed that LucasArts allowed a game to be developed that would not live up to the series.

I wonder if it will turn up on x-box, like when Obi-Wan was cancelled?
jp-30 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 09:25 PM   #7
Joshi
Registered Amuser

Location: Wherever the wind takes me... or failing that the nearest cinema.
LFN Staff Member 
ao close to it's release and so far into production, why didn't they just see how it went. But yeah, I'm in agreement, it prbably wouldn't have lived up to it's predecessor and was looking to turn into something like Infernal Machine. Infact, I kinda thought this was bound to happen..

Actually, I just thought, it's kind of humbling to have downloaded the trailer to a game that will never be. What do you think?

Joshi is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 09:44 PM   #8
elTee
beatnik

The International House of Mojo Staff LFN Staff Member 
What a load of wasted time. I mean, we wait ages for some "classic" style games, and they give us Full Throttle 2. Ok ok, so it looked ****, but when it was first announced everyone was excited. How long do we have to wait for the next game??

Bloody Hell.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
elTee is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 09:45 PM   #9
LGH
Lurker

I have mixed feelings about this decision. I would have LOVED a GOOD Full Throttle sequel (even a GOOD action game)!

On the other hand, *IF* we suppose the game would have been really bad (which we cannot 100% judge by now, but the graphics DIDN'T look promosing), I guess it was the right decision.

Till now, LucasArts has hasn't EVER published a bad adventure*, and I want it to stay that way. And I don't want them to ruin a Tim Schafer classic!

A sucky FT2 would really have damaged the company's reputation considerably, and could perhaps even have a bad influence on Sam and Max 2. (Since people would say: "So that's what LucasArts adventures are like these days, eh? Never again!")

Anyway, still looking forward to Sam and Max 2!!!

cu,
LGH

*Yes, even the often criticised Monkey 4, Dig and Loom were great adventure, IMHO.

"... A BRAND NEW CAR!!!"
(Guybrush Threepwood, Monkey4)
LGH is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 09:57 PM   #10
elTee
beatnik

Ok, EMI yes, but who criticises Loom and The Dig?? They're both better than the original Full Throttle in my opinion. And EMI wasn't a bad game, it just ruined the Monkey Island series by having a dodgy plot with huge gaping holes in it.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
The International House of Mojo - writing long-winded gibberish increasingly infrequently
Old 08-07-2003, 09:59 PM   #11
Junior™
Forumite

Bad news for sure.

Yeah, it didn't look all that good and stuff but I would have loved to play another Full Throttle game anyway. Furthermore the game was way too far from being completed to make a final verdict.

Time Killers
http://www.time-killers.tk
Read and vote....in this particular order
Junior™ is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-07-2003, 10:50 PM   #12
scabb
zo

Full Throttle wasn't really all that great anyway, although it did have an excellent story with some interesting characters.

The sequel looked bad, but that doesn't mean that it was bad - although, it probably was, because they cancelled it. Still, it would've been nice to see it. Or maybe it wouldn't, if it was that bad. I'm not one for getting all psyched up about games being released, so, I'll just end this sentence and shut up.

Oh, and for the record, The Dig sucks. I hereby criticise it! And Escape from Monkey Island was fairly well received by non-Monkey Island fanboys.
scabb is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 12:18 AM   #13
Jayel

It's really difficult to put my thoughts in words, because I'm neither sad or glad about the news. Maybe I never cared about FT2 in the first place.

Too bad about the wasted potential though. it's like witnessing an abortion.
Jayel is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 12:35 AM   #14
telarium
Magic Duck Man

I always give LucasArts the benefit of the doubt, even though others may accuse me of being way too optimistic. Still, after seeing the game in action, I felt that it was impossible to judge because it was still early in production. I wanted it to work, but obviously it didn’t. It’s a shame. I can’t imagine how discouraging it must be for people who have worked hard on something creatively and then it just doesn’t work. That has to be one hell of a bad day.

telarium@mixnmojo.com
The Int'l House of Mojo
www.mixnmojo.com
telarium is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 12:47 AM   #15
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Best decision LucasArts have made in a long time!

~ John

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:08 AM   #16
manny_c444

The graphics blew but I was dissapointed non-the-less when I read the news. I mean the game has been in development for quite a while, just because the graphics were sub-par doesn't mean the game couldn't have been decent. If the graphics were good everyone on this board would've been proclaiming the second coming of Christ. And considering no one has even played the game, I think saying that this is Lucasarts "smartest move" in a while is just f**cking childish.

I was interested in seeing new play mechanics and good old puzzle solving, no matter the graphical incompetence.
manny_c444 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:15 AM   #17
Andi Wan

I must be the only one (aside from telarium) who was actually looking forward to this game. It certainly had the potential to be a really awesome game.

They have been working on this thing for like two years! How can you just down tools after so long?

Quote:
"We do not want to disappoint the many fans of Full Throttle, and hope everyone can understand how committed we are to delivering the best-quality gaming experience that we possibly can," said Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts.
Well if that is true Mr. Jeffery, why don't you stop dissapointing us, send the team back in, and don't let them out until they produce a quality product.

This is bulls@#t.
Andi Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:25 AM   #18
Owl

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for a sequel. I just want a quality one. So yeah, put the team back on it, make the release date "When it's Done", and work to make it the best damn sequel ever put out by LEC. But don't rush it, and work the adventure elements back in. It could turn out okay.

"It's a squeaky little kitty!"
Owl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:27 AM   #19
Gabrobot

I would like to point out that all the official Lucasarts press release says is:

Quote:
LucasArts has decided to stop production on Full Throttle: Hell on Wheels.
“We do not want to disappoint the many fans of Full Throttle,” says Simon Jeffery, president of LucasArts, “and hope everyone can understand how committed we are to delivering the best quality gaming experience that we possibly can.”
Notice that they didn't say they cancelled the project like they did with Obi-Wan...they just stopped the production. They're probably rethinking the direction they want to take it, and may end up restarting the game, but as far as I can see they haven't actually cancelled it.
Gabrobot is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:40 AM   #20
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
You never know, something might happen some day, but I believe that's just a nice way to say it's cancelled.

Obi-Wan was actually never cancelled though, they just stated they were re-evaluating it or something. And then they released it for the Xbox. And it sucked.

Read The Mojo!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:24 AM   #21
netmonkey
Rookie

Exclamation

Wow, I was very shocked/surprised to see how it was just cancelled like that. I read the info on the LEC website first, which looks kind of bogus because it's just like two sentences saying that the game is gone. but i guess it was true after all.

I was looking forward to a Full Throttle sequel, but I was really disappointed with what lec was making out of it. I still believe that full throttle was meant for 3d and all, and a sequel should come sometime, but it has to be a well-developed game, not some cheap half-assed thing.

I say double fine and LEC should team up and finish/improve/etc FTHOW... and I still think it should be a lot like GTA.. in a really big setting :P
netmonkey is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 04:26 AM   #22
Alien426
'll take away your bucket

I agree with manny_c444 saying that the badish graphics led us to believe the gameplay sucked as well. I was hoping LucasArts would put some more work in the game and surprise everyone at the time of release.

Let's hope we do get a FT adventure sequel some time.

Scabb is so wrong about The Dig.

Alien426 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 07:06 AM   #23
wampa_one

Sam & Max 2 will probably be cancelled too
wampa_one is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 07:08 AM   #24
James Isaac

LFN Staff Member 
Nooooo! I was looking forward to it!

But! This leaves a great opening for them to make a MI5 or GF2 instead!!

James Isaac is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 07:52 AM   #25
Wizball

I think it was a good thing to cancel this game.

I also think LEC should do one of the following:

1. Rename themselves to let the glorious company name RIP and be remembered as one of the greatest game companies ever.
I would suggest something like LucasRATS Entertainment

2. Go back to traditional point n' click adventures.
It ****ing worked with Syberia and some independend created and distributed games in the last 2 years.
There is a market out there for that so go and give those consumers what they want

3. Stick to make action games and RPG "mass market" compatible games only and forget their adventure past (like Sierra) although they will still cause harm to the once great LEC name and image.
Wizball is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 10:18 AM   #26
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by wampa_one
Sam & Max 2 will probably be cancelled too
There was a reason behind this. Everyone here has seemed to overlook the comments made by Tim Schafer on that website. What was that website now, I've got it no the tip of my toungue... oh yeah, Mixnmojo.com. In which he says.

Quote:
Originally said by The God
“I heard they just couldn’t go on without the emotional support of Tom Sarris. I mean, Tom was the person Ben Throttle was based on. Not a lot of people know that. So I guess they finally just realized there was no way to do it with out him.”
In other words, unless something collosal like that happens to Sam n Max 2, i think it's still going to go ahead as planned.

Old 08-08-2003, 11:06 AM   #27
Demon Chuckie

Is Sam based on a real dog by any chance?

Anyway I'm glad that they chose to cancel it rather than bring out something ****e! it shows how great LA truly are

Tis Good to be dead!
Demon Chuckie is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 11:38 AM   #28
guybrushthedwar

You know what? I'm, at the same time, really sorry for the developers but I must admit that most of the concept arts were crap and graphics were *berk*.
Problem is : if LucasArts cancelled all their projects that should make adventure games evolve what the hell is the point of all this? I don't want any sequel to GF and MI, I may like a FT sequel but what I really,really,really want back in this company is brand new concept...
see Tim Shafer? Why are we so confident about Psychonauts? I'm confident because the project leader has realised it was time to move, time to embrace 3D and melting different type of game.
Point and Click game are fine but its been too long since we know this, I want to be surprised. Maybe FT would not have been a great game but there was idea about giving the playera larger action range.
I onbly hope that Sam & max will be in Full 3D.
guybrushthedwar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 11:42 AM   #29
manny_c444

I don't understand how this Tom Sarris is tied into the production aspects of the game? Do they consult him or something? Or did he just call Lucasarts up one day and told them he thought the game sucked ass?
manny_c444 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 11:51 AM   #30
Andi Wan

Quote:
Originally posted by Demon Chuckie
Anyway I'm glad that they chose to cancel it rather than bring out something ****e! it shows how great LA truly are
Are you insane?

It only shows that LucasArts is incapable of producing quality games these days. Despite almost 2 years of work, they couldn't come up with anything good. As I said before, their concepts sounded good. I loved the concept art. I guess they just couldn't follow through.

Anything that LA is doing that that looks remotely good like KOTOR and Armed and Dangerous are all merely published by Lucas.

Nothing they are doing inhouse looks good. Think RTX.

This decision is the end of Lucasarts as far as I'm concerned.
Andi Wan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 12:29 PM   #31
xkeys

Re: Full Throttle 2 cancelled

Quote:
Originally posted by RemiO
Ouch!
This ain't an "ouch!" kinda thing. More along the lines of "thank god!".

I think LEC should stop making any sequels because I'm not too sure they are capable of making great games anymore. What I mean is, if they keep churning out mediocre games, at least that way they wouldn't ruin the reputation of the original games.

"Bite my shiny heavy metal ass!"
xkeys is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 01:45 PM   #32
Samnmax221
I never Kipled

Current Game: Sex with women
Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I wanted tyo play FT2 and I can't now. Pls don't badmouth SnM 2
And sequels are just fine.

Last edited by Samnmax221; 08-08-2003 at 02:30 PM.
Samnmax221 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 02:21 PM   #33
Gabez

I was disappointed with the first few screenshots, but then they started getting better, and I began to really look forward to the game. Now it's cancelled, I'm sad, but it sounds like it was for the best. Remember Obi Wan?
Gabez is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 02:36 PM   #34
Joshi
Registered Amuser

LFN Staff Member 
You al seem to think that the entire adventure gameing quality left when Schafer and Gilbert and the rest of the older generation gamemakes left. So we got some new people in, they may not be as good, but then again, how do we know that they're not better? We can't be sure and with the cancellation of FT2 we won't actually know until SamnMax2 comes out. Yes, so the graphics looked crap, we ddin't seem to care too much about that on the first FT, we like the adventure and story side of it more. And if they delivered mediochre graphics with a brilliant story and good adventure aspect whilst still being able to put action elements in and have a dynamic setting, then they were onto a winning game here, despite the graphics. The main reason they dropped it, as Schafer has said is that, Tom sarris left, and they needed to consult him to for Bens character and because he left at the E3 thing, they couldn't finish the game without him. It was purely a character thing, they could present ben in the way they could back on FT1, and they didn't want to present a crappy Ben to the public who knew him so well as well as those who didn't, and so the smartest thing they could ahve done was stopped, and they did. LA's game quality confidense would have gone down considerably because of this games release if they couldn't give the full gaming experiance that they wanted to, so they didn't.

Old 08-08-2003, 02:47 PM   #35
MrManager
;-*

LFN Staff Member 
Well...

Schafer was joking... Tom Sarris was just the PR person, he didn't have anything to do with the development of the game. :~

Read The Mojo!
Old 08-08-2003, 03:28 PM   #36
Sopabuena

This is such a shame, it really is.
Why didn't they do the game correctly to begin with, instead of cancelling it just now. I mean didn't they realize the game sucked when they started doing it?
It is like the programer walks into Simon's office with a beta of the game and says "We just realized we cant sell this sucky game"
And a lot of money has clearly been put into this, but yet some children don't have anything to eat and this makes me angry beyong words. And Simon Jeffrey only worries about the name of the game, that a bad sequel would ruin a franchise with such a potential, but if the game was called "Bob the guy who rides a bike" they would've sold it to us, and we would be playing and saying "Gosh this game sucks they don't do any decent games anymore, we need more sequels or Ron Gilbert" but we keep buying the games, and bitchin' and buyin'.
The thing is that I dont care if Full Throttle was going to be bad or not, everyone was going to buy it only to bitch about it, and then when Full Throttle 3 comes out the same thing was going to happen. It makes me so ANGRY that all those hypocrites out there are saying they are happy about it being cancelled, "oh no dont stain the name of the glorious lucasarts, maker of nothing else but good games"
This is a problem to take very seriously, its not only that a game got cancelled because it was bad, its a whole generation of gamers that literally confused about everything.
Everyone is happy about Sam & Max 2, why? Because is Pure Adventure, it looks just as bad as FT2, and it has some good jokes, but FT2 did too. See you should open up your mind, not only adventure games are good games.
The genre is dead, screw this.
Sopabuena is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 04:15 PM   #37
QueZTone
mind il creativo

LOL Remi

hmmm its good they stopped it, it was going to be a bad game, graphically..sad but true

LEC, take a look at Syberia. I'm sure you can equal if not surpass that...think 2D and forget 3D.

QueZTone is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 04:16 PM   #38
guybrushthedwar

Quote:
Originally posted by Sopabuena
This is such a shame, it really is.
Why didn't they do the game correctly to begin with, instead of cancelling it just now. I mean didn't they realize the game sucked when they started doing it?
It is like the programer walks into Simon's office with a beta of the game and says "We just realized we cant sell this sucky game"
And a lot of money has clearly been put into this, but yet some children don't have anything to eat and this makes me angry beyong words. And Simon Jeffrey only worries about the name of the game, that a bad sequel would ruin a franchise with such a potential, but if the game was called "Bob the guy who rides a bike" they would've sold it to us, and we would be playing and saying "Gosh this game sucks they don't do any decent games anymore, we need more sequels or Ron Gilbert" but we keep buying the games, and bitchin' and buyin'.
The thing is that I dont care if Full Throttle was going to be bad or not, everyone was going to buy it only to bitch about it, and then when Full Throttle 3 comes out the same thing was going to happen. It makes me so ANGRY that all those hypocrites out there are saying they are happy about it being cancelled, "oh no dont stain the name of the glorious lucasarts, maker of nothing else but good games"
This is a problem to take very seriously, its not only that a game got cancelled because it was bad, its a whole generation of gamers that literally confused about everything.
Everyone is happy about Sam & Max 2, why? Because is Pure Adventure, it looks just as bad as FT2, and it has some good jokes, but FT2 did too. See you should open up your mind, not only adventure games are good games.
The genre is dead, screw this.

I almost agree with you, almost because the genre isn't dead, sure it isn't breathing, sure its child has get its money and buy drinks with it but it's not dead. It's dead as it was, as a point-and-click-resolving-puzzles genre... what this genre need are open minded people that knows than 3D can make the gameplay deeper, that AI can bring a lot to the genre, that unlinearity can enhance the genre even more. It's just that people has a picture associated to adventure games, not a concept.. and that's a shame.
guybrushthedwar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 08-08-2003, 05:13 PM   #39
elTee
beatnik

Look, I was only interested in FT2 as a classic style (in terms of gameplay, I don't give a flying toss about whether its 3D or not) adventure game. I mean, if LucasArts released Monkey Island pinball it might be brilliant, but I don't like pinball games so I wouldn't enjoy it. The best game LucasArts have made since Grim Fandango, in my opinion, is Rogue Leader on the gamecube. The game I want to play most that they are making is Rebel Strike, and the "worst decision" they made was not to release Secret Weapons over Normandy on the 'cube. I don't think LucasArts are the only people who can make a decent adventure game, in fact I know they're not, its just that they made the most, and they were all GOOD. I mean, I'm more excited about the Longest Journey 2 than I am about Sam & Max 2.

And Joshi, what the HELL are you talking about?? EMI was made after schafer et al had left for greener shores, and it was a great game. If it had been an original adventure I woulda loved it, I just hate the way it disregarded the plot of the previous 3 games in the series and left huge plot holes.

LucasTones - LT - elTee
Old 08-08-2003, 05:20 PM   #40
ThunderPeel2001
Lovebucket

Quote:
I think saying that this is Lucasarts "smartest move" in a while is just f**cking childish.
Actually it isn't. Consider the facts:

1) The graphics looked like a PS1 title from 1997. I know you say "but what about the gameplay"?? But you're missing the point. There was something so terribly wrong about the game that they didn't think the graphics needed to be changed... because they were too busy on other aspects of the game.

2) It was NOT an adventure game. Repeat. It was NOT an adventure game. There were levels, health bars etc etc. This is the MAIN reason people like me think it was a bad idea.

3) Do you HONESTLY think that LucasArts would stop production of a game, TWO YEARS into it, if it didn't ABSOLUTELY warrant it? This is the same company that gleefully brought us Pod Racer, The Phantom Menace, Battle for Naboo, Masters of Teräs Käsi, Emperor's Tomb, RTX Redrock. We can take as read that FT2 was WORSE than these released games.

Are you sure you're still unhappy it's gone?

~ John

ThunderPeel2001 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Mixnmojo.com > Mojo Discussion Forums > General Discussion > Full Throttle 2 cancelled