lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Default saber model, now with decent uvmapping
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 01-31-2005, 08:25 PM   #1
Seprithro

Contest winner - Modding 
Thumbs up Default saber model, now with decent uvmapping

Ok as we all know the default saber skin sucks. As most skinners know, the uv map is the reason it sucks. It makes re-skinning the hilt very limiting, and just plain a pain. About 3% of the tga was actually used on the model in the old uvmap, and all of it overlaped somewhere. Recently Chains.2da, gave me an idea of how to solve this problem; re-map it. So i came up with this A brand new complete uv map for the default hilt model. It has each of the 20 layers of the hilt, seperately mapped and seperated for much easier skinning. Included in the zip, the default mdl and mdx(with new mapping), the new tga. file, and a copy of the orignal psd. Use the model files however you want, for anything you want(they're not mine, too cheap looking ) If you just drop the files in Over-ride, you will only change the green saber, and it will have the "map" skin. you can easily change all sabers to use this map, or you can use it to make custom hilts that wont overwrite the defaults. Get the files here

Seprithro: Craftsman of NASTY things that kill.
Seprithro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2005, 08:56 PM   #2
Mav
8-Bit Code Monkey

Current Game: SWTOR
Cool stuff, Sep, it would of made my old skin job a lot easier.... now if only someone was nice enough to do this sort of thing for my new model seeing as I am so incapable of doing it myself..... wink .... wink

"Women are like sunsets… they’re beautiful, but there will be a different one tomorrow." - Gilder
Mav is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-31-2005, 10:31 PM   #3
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Re: Default saber model, now with decent uvmapping

Quote:
Originally posted by Seprithro
Ok as we all know the default saber skin sucks. As most skinners know, the uv map is the reason it sucks. It makes re-skinning the hilt very limiting, and just plain a pain. About 3% of the tga was actually used on the model in the old uvmap, and all of it overlaped somewhere. Recently Chains.2da, gave me an idea of how to solve this problem; re-map it. So i came up with this A brand new complete uv map for the default hilt model. It has each of the 20 layers of the hilt, seperately mapped and seperated for much easier skinning.
Beautiful Sep! This will help out so many people (me included)! Especially those still daunted by GMAX & modeling, this will at least give hope to some new unique sabers. I look forward to all the new hilts I'm sure we'll see in the next coming weeks (that's your cue peepz... hehehe) Especially since BoL_Stryke has stated that TSL's sabers are the original tube sabers that haunt us till this day This is something that is going to keep helping throughout the run of TSL and it's modding lifespan...

Just as a 'supplement' to help everyone out, here's a visual reference of what Sep's new UVmap affects. There's no limitations (and no excuses) now not to have some really fine skins available!

Normal Saber (Seprithro) Skin Map Views

**- just right click and "Save" to have a copy of this reference. Have it opened alongside Sep's Skin Map to see "what affects what"

Awesome Job indeed Sep, and thanks for doing this!

"Eagles May Soar, But Weasels Don't Get Sucked Into Jet Engines"

| Mods (FF) (DS) | Folding | SWK.com | FB: (LF) (Me) | Steam | The Herd |
ChAiNz.2da is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2005, 01:48 AM   #4
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Veteran Modder Forum Veteran Helpful! Notable contributor 
Re: Re: Default saber model, now with decent uvmapping

Quote:
Originally posted by ChAiNz.2da

Normal Saber (Seprithro) Skin Map Views
DUDE! that looks awesome you have to realease that...

Nice job Sep.
T7nowhere is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2005, 02:35 AM   #5
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Re: Re: Re: Default saber model, now with decent uvmapping

Quote:
Originally posted by T7nowhere
DUDE! that looks awesome you have to realease that...

Nice job Sep.

Yeah, I think we can call it "Sep's Hippy-Trip Psycho-Derelict Saber"

Stats:
+5 to hit
+5 Damage
On Hit - 100% Confusion (or Euphoric Bliss)

Side effects - May cause 'the munchies'

Old 02-01-2005, 05:01 PM   #6
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Current Game: Star Wars The Old Republic
Veteran Modder 
Thank you sep for this I've got to go and actually make use of this. Are there any plans to release a short & double saber version of this?

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Darkkender is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2005, 05:17 PM   #7
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkkender
Are there any plans to release a short & double saber version of this?
That be a bit redundant, the uvmaps for those hilts are decent.
Old 02-01-2005, 05:28 PM   #8
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
I was not aware of that T7. The way I see everybody talk I got the impression they all sucked. I'm one of those who this release was designed for.(Somebody who needs a paint by numbers ) I've got the screenies of failed retextures of armor to prove it.(They may just find posting later this week. )

Working so, we will learn history as a tree knows it; we will climb into shapes printed in the seed; we will become time made visible, years made fragrant; we will make of concentric memory a stem of praise; we will inhabit daylight at a trees own speed; we will be travelers who remain, patriots to this ground.
OMG I only rank 62.13018% geek or a Extreme Geek as it is referred to on the geektest at Geektest
[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 02-01-2005, 05:30 PM   #9
Achilles
Dapper Chimp

Helpful! Veteran Modder Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Agreed. After messing around to determine how the regular lightsaber was mapped, I was amazed to find that the short saber and double saber were mapped coherently...
Achilles is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-01-2005, 07:33 PM   #10
T7nowhere
Did you reset?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darkkender
I was not aware of that T7. The way I see everybody talk I got the impression they all sucked. I'm one of those who this release was designed for.(Somebody who needs a paint by numbers ) I've got the screenies of failed retextures of armor to prove it.(They may just find posting later this week. )
Don't you remember a couple days ago when ChAiNz.2da posted the uv maps to be used when skinning those hilts.

Quote:
Agreed. After messing around to determine how the regular lightsaber was mapped, I was amazed to find that the short saber and double saber were mapped coherently...
This is why with almost certanty I would say bioware either had a perpetually baked artist or it was his first day ever using 3ds
Old 02-01-2005, 10:02 PM   #11
Darth Stryke

Thumbs up Sweet!!!

I get a server error when trying to download these. Are you planning on posting it elsewhere? Awesome work by the way, definitely will be useful next week

EDIT: got the file, disregard the first part

"Never argue with a fool, for he could be doing the same."

Last edited by Darth Stryke; 02-01-2005 at 10:46 PM.
Darth Stryke is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2005, 08:00 AM   #12
Darth Smaug
Veteran

looking good ! ! ! release a double-bladed version of it! ! !

I'm floating, and something's reaching out.
Darth Smaug is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 02-02-2005, 08:32 AM   #13
Darkkender
Knight of Holowan

Veteran Modder 
Quote:
Don't you remember a couple days ago when ChAiNz.2da posted the uv maps to be used when skinning those hilts.
Yeah that's why I made the paint by numbers crack.

[TSL]Holowan Plugin
Old 03-07-2005, 01:40 AM   #14
Harker
Rookie

Any word if this UV map works with TSL?

With respect,
Harker
Harker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-07-2005, 11:57 AM   #15
ChAiNz.2da
Brony 4 Life. Yo.

Quote:
Originally posted by Harker
Any word if this UV map works with TSL?
Nope.
Unfortunately, Sep's much better UVmap was created by using the new model of regular saber. TSL won't be able to read the old KotOR saber model this was created for...

TSL's regular saber UV isn't quite as bad as KotOR's was, and I know somewhere around here T7 had made one... I just haven't had any luck finding it yet...

Old 03-07-2005, 12:05 PM   #16
Harker
Rookie

Ahhh... thanks Chainz!
Le me know if you find it as well!

With respect,
Harker
Harker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Knights of the Old Republic > Editing / Modding > Holowan Laboratories > Default saber model, now with decent uvmapping