lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Would this make an interesting game?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 12-06-2001, 04:01 PM   #1
Darth_Lando

Would this make an interesting game?

Take the Pod Racer concept and add 1st person storyline elements to it.

As in you can get out of your pod racer interact with characters go places within the city and travel to other planets and race.

Of course in Racer you race on different planets and go to Wattos shop and junkyard but I am talking about making it immerisive as in walking there and adding an acutal storyline to the game instead of pointing and clicking to go to a location and then race.

I think the game would rock! And would be a nice antidote to the slew of first person shooters out there on the market.
Darth_Lando is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2001, 06:18 PM   #2
Kylilin
Wiseass

Current Game: Skyrim
Forum Veteran 
I think what Star Wars gaming needs is a fighting game, I don't know how many of you out there have played Masters of the Teras Kasi, but I thought it was a good game, maybe a sequel is in order. Or a whole new series, Including all the Jedi, Sith, Mandalorians, Wookies, Gungans, Stormtroopers, Smugglers, and whoever else, I think it would be cool...

"Who is splendid among men, who is glorious among heroes?"
--excerpt from Gilgamesh
Kylilin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-06-2001, 10:27 PM   #3
digl
Reborn

maybe a fightning game hasnt been made because It doesnt kinda fit in the SW universe, how could they make a story for it?
This doesnt mean It wouldnt be cool though

I dont know about your game Lando
you mean a FPS game with a pod racer?
maybe galaxies could have pods, to go fast from one place on a planet to another

In a FPS I dont know how it could work
maybe to travel between levels, or in levels, but they should be huge
digl is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2001, 02:59 PM   #4
BeastMaster
Dragon in Residence

Cool Guy

What I'd like to see is a hand-to-hand mod for JK/MotS, or JKO when it comes out.

I mean, think about it; Force-assisted hand-to-hand. . . Think Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon in the GFFA.

"The Beasts know much that we do not." -Ancient Jedi proverb
BeastMaster is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-07-2001, 10:55 PM   #5
Assassin

that would be awesome...i think someone might have tried to do that..but nevertheless it would be cool. Master of Tera Kasi was a good fighting game..although not very popular
Assassin is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-11-2001, 06:13 AM   #6
StormHammer
Fallen Jedi

10 year veteran! 
Smile Re: Would this make an interesting game?

Quote:
Originally posted by Darth_Lando
Take the Pod Racer concept and add 1st person storyline elements to it.

I think the game would rock! And would be a nice antidote to the slew of first person shooters out there on the market.
Hmmm...maybe. I'm not really a fan of racing games, but I can certainly see the need for combining more gaming types. I think we will see more of this blurring of the edges in the future. This can only lead to more varied and challenging gameplay, but they have to be careful that they get the mix and interface right.

I mean, if you think back to Shadows Of The Empire, for example, that game tried to mix all of the different game genres together, from FPS to racing, from flying to platform jumper. Unfortunately I didn't think it gelled that well...and setting up the controls to suit your own preferences was a nightmare.

Of course, that game used the traditional level system...but I think developers should now be looking at more fluid and transparent transitions between gaming types, as your comments suggest. So, for example, you make all the preparations for your pod race in real time, buying parts and what-have-you, then go out and get into the poc, then race, then step out at the end and go and do something else. That smooth blending would certainly increase the sense of immersion.

This is why I am looking forward to a game called Bounty Hunter, by Warthog Entertainment. It will allow you to attack space ships with your own vessel, then board those ships and walk (or run) around to achieve other objectives (looting ).

As I said before, I'm not really a fan of racing games, or dog-fighting games, but if the controls are intuitive, and there is an FPS element, I think it would appeal to me far more.

I'm still waiting to see my own game wishes fulfilled...a Star Wars Bounty Hunter FPS/RPG, and a Star Wars Commando FPS/Tactical game, where you can select and control a team of either Rebel or Imperial Commandos to undertake a variety of missions.
StormHammer is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars Classic Gaming > 1. The HuB > The Cantina! > Would this make an interesting game?