lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Do I have a HOM effect?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-27-2003, 10:44 PM   #1
fattysbox

Question Do I have a HOM effect?

Hey fellas,

I have a hallway where below the floor there are some pipes. This is separated by a brush whose shader is a grate so you can see the pipes. The bottomof this pipe section is a light emmiting shader.

The problem is everytime I walk over it, I see repeated texturing of the grate which makes it unable to see through... Kinda like an ifinite drawing of the shader(grate) itself. Is this the infamous Hall of mirrors effect?

If it is, what is causing it and how do I fix it? I just want to see through the grate to the pipes beneath the floor...

Thanks in advance!

J
fattysbox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2003, 11:23 PM   #2
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

Yes, that's a HOM. Can you tell if the effect is on the grate or on the light-emitting shader beneath the pipes?

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-27-2003, 11:39 PM   #3
War Master

If you used a caulk brush textured with the grate shader don't forget to make it detail, because if underneath the grate is a sealed area you'll get a HOM effect.
War Master is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2003, 01:21 AM   #4
fattysbox

Hey guys,

It is definitely the grate and not the light emmitting shader. However, I have not made them detail, and will do that now...

Quote:
If you used a caulk brush textured with the grate shader don't forget
So if originally made a caulk brush, then texture it with a shader, it still has caulk properties? Do I have that right War Master? That may need some further explanation

I'll let you know what happens...
Old 05-28-2003, 01:50 AM   #5
fattysbox

War Master,

Yep, needed to be detail, that fixed it up right away... But Im still curious on my previous question

Thanks!
Old 05-28-2003, 02:14 AM   #6
wedge2211

A better thing to do with shaders that are at all transparent is texture the rest of the brush with nodraw_solid.

Old 05-28-2003, 06:00 AM   #7
War Master

I always use nodraw_solid for grates myself but caulk will work just fine in most cases. Always make your grates detail if they're not already an entity such as a func_breakable. I'm not good with technical terms and stuff but a normal brush textured with caulk, in a closed environment, acts as barrier. The compiler interpreted your hallway as 2 separate rooms and therefore wouldn't draw underneath the grate and vice versa. I don't know if I anwered your question. I'm no expert, I just know what works and what doesn't work(most of the time ).
War Master is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2003, 01:34 PM   #8
fattysbox

Quote:
A better thing to do with shaders that are at all transparent is texture the rest of the brush with nodraw_solid.

Should I texture the sides of the brush that are not seen as nodraw_solid, or the underneath the grate where the player will never walk to...

Warmaster, you answered my question and that makes sense!!

J
Old 05-28-2003, 01:58 PM   #9
wedge2211

Anything the player can't see. Which means, yes, the underside, too.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > Do I have a HOM effect?