lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: prt / srf
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 05-28-2003, 12:19 AM   #1
lauser

prt / srf

Help....help.....me.....

I just can't get rid of the prt and srf files in my map directory after compiling for the 12 th time. What is wrong I tried correcting the map file in NOTEPAD but that doesn't seem to work.....

I have searched for info on the matter.....I can't seem to find the answer I'm looking for. I have gone over and over this map with L J. And we can't seem to get the problem solved........

Any help or suggestion would be great....

My kung fu is also very weak
lauser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2003, 12:24 AM   #2
fattysbox

For inquiring minds, what are prt and srf files? And why are they bad?
fattysbox is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2003, 01:13 AM   #3
wedge2211
Commander, Rogue Squadron

The .prt file is a list of the portals in a map, generated by an optional -saveprt option in the call to VIS (this lets you load the portal file in Radiant to see where the map is splitting). A .srf file is used for surface lighting in q3map2 compiles. Neither is necessary after a compile is complete, and neither is bad.

wedge2211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-28-2003, 05:37 AM   #4
Leslie Judge
Teacher

An other little add-on.

The .prt file is generated by the BSP phase of the compiling process. It is for the VIS phase which deletes it normally, but with that -saveprt switch you can prevent this deletion.

So if you have the .prt file you have two options:
1. you used that -saveprt switch and everything is OK
and/or
2. there is a leak in your map

L_A_User: every time you send me that map file I fix it for you. What are you doing?

L. J.
Leslie Judge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 05-29-2003, 06:22 AM   #5
lauser

You know Leslie I really appreciate you fixing my map. But I have to go in again and fix it myself yet again. I can't help what my computer does to the game engine or to the map. When I build a map I try to make as little mistakes as possible. But my comp. just wont let me do what I want to do.

Believe me when I say I can map like Wedge2211 or Livingdeadjedi!! I just need the right tools!! If my comp wont compile properly ther is nothing I can do. I guess Radiant programs wont let me make great maps.......

If I can't get Radiant to do what it's supposed to then I will have to stop mapping!!

Thanks again L J

My kung fu is also very weak
lauser is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JO Mapping > prt / srf