lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Qui Gon . . .
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 06-13-2003, 11:35 PM   #1
OmegaNothing

Qui Gon . . .

Does anyone really know the reason for Qui Gon not becoming a ghost? (Apart from the fact that Neeson wouldn't come back). There could be many reasons, for example Qui Gon didn't follow the code, he believed in using ur feelings rather than mind, which is why he wasn't on the council, this could have been a reason but then you have the fact that Anakin became a ghost, and he hardly followed the code now did he. Or maybe a jedi can only come back as a ghost if they really want to or if they have a reason, just like Obi Wan came back to help Luke . . . . Anyone else have any ideas why Qui Gon didn't come back as a ghost?
OmegaNothing is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2003, 12:03 AM   #2
Lynk Former
internet hate machine

10 year veteran! The Walking Carpets Guild Officer Imperialist Meatbags Guild Officer LF Jester 
Refer to: http://www.lucasforums.com/showthrea...threadid=95809

Lynk Former is online now   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2003, 12:07 AM   #3
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
They’re a few theories, but my favourite is…
Acceptance of death
both yoda and obi (and anakin as well) knew they were going to die and therefore accepted their fate and were able to pass into the spirit world... or something along those lines
now this theory will be blown apart if qui-gon shows up in Ep III. which is likely as he was supposed to be in ep II but had a motorbike crash.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2003, 04:49 AM   #4
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

The motorbike crash wasn't so serious that they couldn't have done pickup shoots closer to the release date of Episode 2.

Fact was, they just didn't need Liam to appear physically. They were going to have him record some old lines, but they went with a clip of him yelling from Episode 1.

I do like the acceptance of death theory, though it doesn't explain how Yoda heard Qui-Gon in Episode 2, nor how we'll likely see him in Episode 3 (Lucas has said we will find out why multiple times, and has hinted it's got something to do with Qui-Gon).

Eldritch is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-14-2003, 11:22 PM   #5
Master_Payne

haha, nice idea but. who said he's not a ghost? remember that Obi-Wan died on ep IV, in that same movie we hear is voice. Only in episode V we see him like a ghost.
Now Qui-gon died in ep I, we hear hin in Ep II (aldo he was supposed to appear).
So you can't say he's not a ghost until ep III in 2005.

If you where talking about "why did not dissapear", well that's other thing.
Master_Payne is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2003, 12:18 AM   #6
OmegaNothing

I doubt we will see him as a Ghost now, from what I heard he was never going to be in Episode II, after Episode I Liam Neeson said he didn't want to do anymore, although he did record the whole "Anakin, Anakin" thing for Episode II. It would be nice to see Qui Gon as a ghost, but that wouldn't explain how anakin still turned to evil even after seeing his former master

Old 06-17-2003, 04:00 PM   #7
Breton
Ta deg en bolle

Quote:
Originally posted by Sivy B
They’re a few theories, but my favourite is…
Acceptance of death
both yoda and obi (and anakin as well) knew they were going to die and therefore accepted their fate and were able to pass into the spirit world... or something along those lines
now this theory will be blown apart if qui-gon shows up in Ep III. which is likely as he was supposed to be in ep II but had a motorbike crash.
But it took a long time for Qui-Gon to die, and he could well accept death at that time. And he did too, otherwise he would not say that "it's too late" and tell Obi-Wan to train Anakin.

And it can't be that he didn't follow the code either. The fallen Jedi at the arena in ep2 doesn't disappear either.

And the fact that you may see Qui-Gon in ep3 doesn't mean that you'll get to see him as a ghost. It might as well be as a holographic image form an old recording.

Quote:
after Episode I Liam Neeson said he didn't want to do anymore, although he did record the whole "Anakin, Anakin" thing for Episode II.
I'm pretty sure they used the "Anakin!" from the "Anakin, drop!" in ep1. At least they sound very similar to each other.

Penger er for kapitalister
kun papir for meg
så lenge jeg har penger til tippefrister
kan gjerne karl johan bli motorvei for meg

Postgirobygget, "Sløv uten dop"
Breton is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 06-17-2003, 05:01 PM   #8
OmegaNothing

Neeson said that he went back to record "Anakin, Anakin" I first thought they just used the episode I speech. Also maybe a jedi needs to wants to become a ghost. Whatever the reason I'm sure we'll find out in episode III.
Old 06-29-2003, 06:54 PM   #9
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

But Lucas (or Burtt, can't remember) in the Episode 2 DVD said that they ended up using a line from Episode 1, and that Neeson did NOT record anything new for Episode 2.

Old 06-30-2003, 11:43 AM   #10
OmegaNothing

Quote:
But Lucas (or Burtt, can't remember) in the Episode 2 DVD said that they ended up using a line from Episode 1, and that Neeson did NOT record anything new for Episode 2.
Thats funny, on my DVD it says that Neeson DID go back to record that line.
Old 06-30-2003, 05:51 PM   #11
LiMP RABBiT

This is completely a guess but maybe they come back to help guide someone. Cause Yoda appears, he was helping luke, Obi, he was also helping luke. But as Qui gon handed anakin over to obi he didnt need to help anyone. But that doesnt explain anakin coming back in the ep6. Oh well.
LiMP RABBiT is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2003, 07:12 AM   #12
TheMaestro

With the Star Wars series...you can never really know anything at anytime -- too many secrets...which make speculation fun.

Veni, vidi, vici.
[I came, I saw, I conquered].
-- Gaius Julius Caesar
TheMaestro is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-01-2003, 12:23 PM   #13
daring dueler
Lock Up Your Daughters

it would be nice to see his ghost, but i dont think we will see him in episode 3.

AC/DC

www.johnstoys.com *excellent *
And you! I just plain don't like you!
CRD= Carbinated refreshment drink
otherwise known as Pop.

Jerry: your not wearing a shirt are you?
Kramer: Yes i am.
Jerry: what color is it?
Kramer: Damnit!
daring dueler is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2003, 05:44 AM   #14
Eldritch
Mmm, Donuts

Quote:
Originally posted by OmegaNothing
Where?

I just watched mine again, and ole' GL says very clearly, "We ended up using a line from Episode 1."

Old 07-12-2003, 05:55 AM   #15
pbguy1211
PBGuy1211 The White

Quote:
Originally posted by OmegaNothing
you misheard it... they used his old recordings...

PBGuy1211 Mods! All available here.
pbguy1211 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 07-12-2003, 04:20 PM   #16
OmegaNothing

Hmmm I'll watch it again later, if two of you say so I must have misheard it....
Old 09-30-2003, 03:26 AM   #17
[BFE]Winters
Lurker

Hi guys, this is my first time getting involved in this star wars community, so please bear with me

When do we hear Qui-Gon's voice in EpII?

Winters
[BFE]Winters is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2003, 01:52 AM   #18
RockerD

Quote:
Originally posted by [BFE]Winters
When do we hear Qui-Gon's voice in EpII?
when anakin is slaughtering all the tusken raiders
RockerD is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2003, 12:49 PM   #19
leXX
Forum Mum

10 year veteran! Hot Topic Starter LF Jester LFN Staff Member 
... well, just after he slaughters them and it cuts to Yoda meditating. Listen carefully and you can hear Qui say "No Anakin NO", and what sounds like Vaders heavy breathing too.

Being human totally sucks most of the time.
Videogames are the only thing that
make life bearable.
- Anorak's Almanac, Chapter 91, Verses 1-2

Add me on: XBL | PSN | Last.fm | Steam
leXX is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2003, 05:07 PM   #20
Remirol Nacnud
Rookie

My memory terrible.
When Qui Gon is killed, he doesn't disappear does he?

As far as I know, when a Jedi 'becomes one with the force' his body disappears.
Obi Wan did, Yoda did and Anakin did apparently(the armour that you see burning at the end of Ep6 is empty)

If he doesn't disappear then perhaps he didn't become one with the force.

Alternatively, if he did, perhaps he felt no urgent need to show himself(as a ghost)

Ben comes back as a ghost or voice to guide Luke, who really needs it.
Then the three come back at the end to reassure Luke that he had saved his father and perhaps give him the confidence to go on to his even greater task(re-establishing the Jedi)

But Qui Gon would only have come back to guide Ben, who didn't have as larger problems as Luke did.
Remirol Nacnud is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2003, 01:11 AM   #21
Jedi_Monk

Thinking back to the Original Trilogy, Obi-Wan only appeared to Luke as a spirit when Luke was either very close to death (Hoth) or after he had trained with Yoda and gained a little more knowledge of the Force (just befoire leaving Dagobah). Whether or not a ghost appears to someone seems to depend on the state of the person they're communicating with. Luke is dying on Dagobah, and so he's got one foot in death's door, so to speak, perhaps putting him that much closer to Ben and allowing Ben to speak to him. Maybe Qui-Gon didn't appear to Anakin because Anakin's subjective state was prohibitave; in other words, maybe his rage was pushing Qui-Gon away so that he could only yell from the other side.

Jedi_Monk is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2003, 11:41 AM   #22
leXX
Forum Mum

Well, I think GL intended to have Qui-Gon appear to Anakin, but the circumstances prevented it, i.e: Liam Neeson being in a motorbike crash. Therefore he decided to just use his voice instead. I imagine we will see him in ghost form in Ep3.

make life bearable.

Old 10-02-2003, 11:59 AM   #23
Sivy
coming soon

Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by leXX
Well, I think GL intended to have Qui-Gon appear to Anakin, but the circumstances prevented it, i.e: Liam Neeson being in a motorbike crash. Therefore he decided to just use his voice instead. I imagine we will see him in ghost form in Ep3.
thats what i heard too.
Sivy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2003, 01:36 PM   #24
vegietto

yeah that is what i heard to but i don't know

Thanks to joetheeskimo05 for the sig!

Under the great training of Zbomber
vegietto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2003, 08:52 PM   #25
amadeus

I don't know if you all will object to me bringing some EU into the whole deal, but in Dark Force Rising, Luke speculates that a Jedi might come back as a ghost by attaching themself to another Jedi. He suggests that Obi Wan might have done that to him.

amadeus is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2003, 06:20 AM   #26
Shado Vorn
Rookie

Er .. here's a stupid question that I'd like answered if possible ... we all know who Luke's daddy is, but who's Anakin's daddy/Luke's grandpa? Is it Qui-Gon? If not ... then who?
Shado Vorn is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2003, 08:22 AM   #27
leXX
Forum Mum

Qui Gon asked Anakin's mother who his father was in Episode 1. She answered that there was no father and that she couldn't explain it. Qui Gon then theorized that it was the force itself/midichlorians (immaculate conception) that got his mother pregnant. Therefore, as far as we know for now, Anakin's father is The Force.

make life bearable.

Old 10-09-2003, 10:14 AM   #28
Shado Vorn
Rookie

Thanks, leXX, for clearing that one up. I never understood that part of E1. I always knew that the Force kissed the girls and made em' cry lol.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:49 PM   #29
Jedi_Monk

Quote:
Qui Gon then theorized that it was the force itself/midichlorians (immaculate conception) that got his mother pregnant.
[catholicapologistmode]The Immaculate Conception refers to Mary being conceived in her mother's womb without sin so that she would be worthy to carry God's Son through to term. Mary became the Holy of Holies personified, so she had to have a blemishless soul. The Immaculate Conception does not refer to Jesus' verginal conception.[/catholicapologistmode]

Old 10-09-2003, 01:15 PM   #30
Shado Vorn
Rookie

CHEERS!
Old 10-09-2003, 05:18 PM   #31
Remirol Nacnud
Rookie

I thought it was a bit risky to go with the virgin birth idea, but no religious leaders seemed to say anything. And if they did, no-one listened :P
Old 10-10-2003, 01:54 PM   #32
Shado Vorn
Rookie

Perhaps religious leaders are fans of Star Wars as well lol.
Old 10-10-2003, 03:35 PM   #33
Jedi_Monk

Quote:
I thought it was a bit risky to go with the virgin birth idea, but no religious leaders seemed to say anything. And if they did, no-one listened :P
Well, both Heracles and Perseus were conceived by human women through Zeus. Anakin's being conceived through the Star Wars galaxy's prominent diety doesn't have to be a strictly Christian reference.

Old 10-10-2003, 04:42 PM   #34
Pedro The Hutt
Jedi Knight

Or some people try to dig deeper into things than they really are ^.^.
Pedro The Hutt is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2003, 11:17 AM   #35
Remirol Nacnud
Rookie

Do you expect Christians to go around insulting legends from before their virgin birth story even existed?

And besides, Zeus came down in animal form. (making love to women as swans)

Let's get off of the religious talk, because that's how topics often degrade.
Old 10-13-2003, 02:25 AM   #36
Jedi_Monk

Quote:
And besides, Zeus came down in animal form. (making love to women as swans)
Zeus didn't only come to women in form forms of animals; he came to Danaë in the form of a shower of gold. I mean, I'm sure Danaë thought "hey, it's raining gold in my room and I'm getting off on it, it must be a god," but she probably couldn't have explained what happened or who the father was with much surety.

To further contrast Mary with Shmi, where as Shmi Skywalker said, "there was no father... I can't explain what happened..." the Gospel of Luke tells us that an Angel named Gabriel told Mary exactly who the father of her child would be and how it would happen: "The holy Spirit will come upon you, and the power of the Most High will overshadow you. Therefore the child to be born will be called holy, the Son of God." (Luke 1:35a)

There are similarities as far as the virgin birth, but the differences are also pronounced.

Quote:
Let's get off of the religious talk, because that's how topics often degrade.
Star Wars is drenched in religious--or at least spiritual--symbolism and themes. To avoid talking about religion in a Star Wars discussion is to avoid something that may give us insight into the story Lucas has created.

In Lucas' own words, talking about the Force: "I wanted a concept of religion based on the premise that there is a God and there is good and evil..."

Old 10-13-2003, 04:51 PM   #37
Remirol Nacnud
Rookie

Obviously Lucas may have intentionally or subconsciously made points about specific religions in the films, but unless he admits to it, we shouldn't mention specific religions.
Ideas are fine, but talk about religions and you might insult someone.
Old 10-14-2003, 09:36 AM   #38
Shado Vorn
Rookie

I got to wonder how we went from talking about Qui-Gon, to talking about Zeus making love to human females in the form of a swan ... lol
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Star Wars > Prequel Trilogy > Qui Gon . . .