lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Actual Pre-WW1 Color Photos of Russia
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-11-2003, 12:41 AM   #1
C'jais
Spicy Viking Boy

Actual Pre-WW1 Color Photos of Russia

http://www.loc.gov/exhibits/empire/

"We know that Prokudin-Gorskii intended his photographic images to be viewed in color because he developed an ingenious photographic technique in order for these images to be captured in black and white on glass plate negatives, using red, green and blue filters. He then presented these images in color in slide lectures using a light-projection system [right] involving the same three filters.

A single, narrow glass plate about 3 inches wide by 9 inches long was placed vertically into the camera by Prokudin-Gorskii . He then photographed the same scene three times in a fairly rapid sequence using a red filter, a green filter and a blue filter."

It feel's very weird to see color photos of an age you've always associated with black and white pictures.

Russia is very beautiful though.

Better to be hated for who you are, than loved for who you're not.

Member of The Scandinavian Clique

My LiveJournal
C'jais is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2003, 03:57 AM   #2
Dagobahn Eagle
First Strike Tester

Current Game: First Strike
Quote:
It feel's very weird to see color photos of an age you've always associated with black and white pictures.
I seem to recall that my old US history book had some black and white pictures that were converted to colour. Pretty impressive how they do it.

Quote:
Very beutifuly, comrade Viking, doesn't even begin to cover it.

Dagobahn Eagle is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2003, 04:35 AM   #3
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
I just spent a good 35 minutes poking around this site then another 15 playing with on of the color composite images that was on the techniques page...

It was one that was very dark and very red, made after blending the red, green, blue filtered images. I was able to bring it out to a more vibrant image in photoshop, though nothing like what was posted on the site.

As a photographer, I found the shots fascinating and the technique inspiring.

As an anthropologist, I found it a wonder of discovery. The architecture, clothing, tranportation/economic evidence... all great stuff.

Good find Jais... I bookmarked the site to return and share with friends/family!

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2003, 06:58 AM   #4
Homuncul

Photoes are just splendid

Quote:
Yeah it's a candy if looked from the outside, but it's not that beautiful from the inside. Rather terrible I'd say.
Homuncul is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-11-2003, 07:11 PM   #5
El Sitherino
The Original.

Hot Topic Starter LFN Staff Member Forum Veteran LF Jester 
I have seen a documentary in which they discovered 2 color photographs from the ending days of the american civil war.

Ingenious find none the less.

oh and they talked of the origin of the photo creation was german.

“This body is not me. I am not caught in this body.
I am life without limit.”
El Sitherino is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2003, 07:16 PM   #6
Philocleon

You just gotta love those old historic photos. Gives you a window on the past. Take this site, for example. http://www.haleysteele.com/exhibition/p_boston/toc.html

This site shows some nice historical old buildings in Boston. Check this one out: http://www.haleysteele.com/exhibitio...on/temple.html

Can you believe the size of that thing? And this is a Jewish temple! A house of worship! Can you believe they made that thing that huge? Incredible isn't it? (btw, i've been there recently and it's still there, and damn is it huge. It's right on Newbury Street)
Philocleon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-15-2003, 02:21 PM   #7
ShadowTemplar
Heathen

Quote:
Originally posted by Philocleon
Can you believe the size of that thing?
Easily. Fortifications like that are supposed to look impressive.

ShadowTemplar is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-18-2003, 07:59 PM   #8
Philocleon

Well, as I said before it's a temple. I checked the website and I assumed it'd be a site for a Jewish synagogue. When I found out it was part of a Christian church, I left. I then went to another forum and asked if they knew about it. One person pointed me to the history page on the site I went to and there it listed the history, and indeed, it is a Christian church. Rather large though.
Philocleon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Actual Pre-WW1 Color Photos of Russia