lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: An army of one?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 09-13-2003, 04:16 PM   #1
TiBo
Rookie

An army of one?

I have seen these commercials for the US army lately. It shows soldiers on missions alone and storming buildings by themselves, and they are successful. This could not be any farther from what it is really like. Armies are all about working together as a team, war is not a solo game. I just see these commercials as blatant propaganda to try to get all of those trigger happy kids who love their counter-strike to come join the army.

And now with the US government's own videogame "America's Army", they are increasingly turning their focus on the trigger happy people who just want to go "kick some ass". My friend is in a jk2 clan, and every member in it seriously wants to join the US army. They think that they will be able to kick lots of terrorist ass, but in reality if they step out of line they would get themselves, and probably their whole squad killed. Things like during the war in afganhistan, an american shot down a canadian helicopter because he thought it was the enemy. He probably did not even ask a superior if he should fire, he just wanted to be a hero, and thats what gets people killed.
TiBo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-13-2003, 05:33 PM   #2
Kurgan
Headhunter

LFN Staff Member 10 year veteran! 
Red face

Yeah, it's pretty stupid.

Being a strong-willed individual is not something an army wants of its grunts.

And "Rambo" would get killed pretty fast in a real war.

Download JK2 maps for JA Server|BOOT CAMP!|Strategic Academy|
(JA Server: 108.178.55.189:29070)

"The Concussion Rifle is the weapon of a Jedi Knight Player, an elegant weapon, from a more civilized community." - Kyle Katarn
Kurgan is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2003, 04:35 PM   #3
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

Re: An army of one?

I havent seen any "Army of One" commercials where soldiers are storming buildings alone. Usually they involve them out in the open, on their own, accomplishing such a task as scaling a snowy mountain to set something up, or something to that effect. But in the commercials I've seen, they usually show the soldier standing with many other soldiers.

Quote:
Originally posted by TiBo
He probably did not even ask a superior if he should fire, he just wanted to be a hero, and thats what gets people killed.
Well, you dont really know this. If there was a chopper coming at me, not identifying itself, not transmitting any friendly signals (which they are required to do), and seemed to be exhibiting hostile behavior, I might fire as well. Sure, I'd probably ask first. But if it was coming very close and I suspected it to be attacking, I'd shoot first. Not to be a hero, but to save myself.

But you dont know any of that for sure, so it's not a very good example.

"Not all one pleads can be granted. But a good hearing soothes the heart." -The Instruction of Ptah-hotep.

"So here I go, it's my shot. Feet fail me not. This may be the only opportunity that I got..." -Eminem
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-14-2003, 09:56 PM   #4
TiBo
Rookie

You are right, it wasnt a good example, im just a little biased being canadian myself. But since when did the Iraqis have helicopters?
Old 09-15-2003, 05:16 AM   #5
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
Originally posted by TiBo
You are right, it wasnt a good example, im just a little biased being canadian myself. But since when did the Iraqis have helicopters?
Quote:
Originally posted by TiBo in his first post
...during the war in afganhistan, an american shot down a canadian helicopter...
Was it in Afganistan or was it in Iraq?

I hadn't heard of this accident, but I did hear of the incident where the pilot bombed some Canadian troops that were undergoing a "live-fire" exercise on the ground. The pilot apparently didn't know that the exercise was scheduled and saw the weapons fire....

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 09-17-2003, 07:29 PM   #6
TiBo
Rookie

Ahh man, do i feel stupid. It was in afganhistan, and the american pilot bombed them. Sorry all, i should have gotten the facts straight.

Let me tell you about the uplift mofo party plan....
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > An army of one?