lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Admiral Vostok's plan for SWGB2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-07-2003, 07:11 AM   #81
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

Okay, so my reasoning, according to you, should be this:
"if we allow them to shoot aircraft but they suck at it it is unrealistic, but if we don't allow them to shoot aircraft it is possible they can do it and are good at it but are concentrating on ground"

That makes no sense, Windu, because:
Infantry do suck at shooting aircraft, so it wouldn't be unrealistic to make them that way.
Not allowing them to shoot aircraft won't make you think it is possible for them to be good against aircraft but are concentrating at the ground, because they suck against Aircraft.

Remember Windu, Troopers can only shoot Aircraft once the said Aircraft has shot at them. Obviously they are switching their attention to airborne threat rather than just getting shot like fish in a barrel.

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2003, 07:12 AM   #82
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

I know some of them came from yourself, swgb but lets get real do u really want to mix star wars with red alert like a royal cannon like come on how far off track can u go a cannon in star wars they probably had that 10000 years ago in there time but not in this SW time frame.

Im only pointing out the similarties with some of your ideas and other games on the market. Just pointing this out so you can improve your template and not look like a bunch of stuff stolen from other games.
Frozted_MM's is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2003, 07:14 AM   #83
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

This trooper shooting aircraft issue didnt stop the droids shooting down the asslt ships did it i dont think so.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:16 AM   #84
Admiral Vostok

Also Frozted you forgot the Wookiee Ambush Tank is a Mirage Tank (RA2).

Old 10-07-2003, 07:21 AM   #85
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

damn vostok u blew my case

Old 10-07-2003, 09:05 AM   #86
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

i just read the confed ideas for this template looking good i must say didnt read it before cause i havent been online for about a week.

the only problem i see is the hailfire droid should shoot ground it didnt really do a good job against the AT TE's it only hit one all the rest flew into clusters of troops. Why dont u just make there armor weak bad vs melee and not very accurate great vs groups but 1v1 not very good.

i like the way you incorporated what the factions make into buildings where they build there units very cool

damn i wish the battlecore could be added in the game but i cant c how it could fit the only way is if each player got a planet each but way to complicated.
Old 10-07-2003, 10:56 AM   #87
Admiral Vostok

Well I know it isn't entirely realistic, but the Hailfire Droid is staying the way it is for gameplay purposes.

My web hosting service still isn't working, so unfortunately you will all have to wait probably until the weekend before I can put the Empire up.

Old 10-08-2003, 08:15 PM   #88
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Why not make the hailfire droid an artillery type weapon?
It wouldn't be a mech destroyers just standard artillery but not as good as anti-infantry artillery.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2003, 10:30 PM   #89
Admiral Vostok

Very well, due to popular demand (and the fact that in principle it slightly conflicts with my Troopers-shooting-Aircraft desire) the Hailfire Droid shall be able to shoot ground targets. However, it is not as effecient at killing Mechs as the Homing Spider Droid, as the Homing Spider Droid has greater range and accuracy. The Homing Spider Droid also has greater Armor and HP, and is slightly better vs Infantry. Hopefully this still makes the Homing Spider Droid attractive enough to include as well as the Hailfire Droid.

Old 10-09-2003, 03:35 AM   #90
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

I dont really see how the hailfire droid can hit air it didnt have locking mechanism did it just striking things at random but it can fly we didnt c it but it can and then drop to the ground and unfolds.
Old 10-09-2003, 05:47 AM   #91
Admiral Vostok

Wha?

Frozted, you seem to be falling to the curse of non-punctuated-posting that has recently flared up on this forum. Correct me if I'm wrong, but somewhere in your post does it say Hailfire Droids can fly? Where did you get this from?

Old 10-09-2003, 05:57 AM   #92
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

Sorry wrong thing I was referring to the TF fighter how it can walk and fold out
Old 10-09-2003, 07:45 PM   #93
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Lol

I'm considering TF fighter being able to do that in the game. It could be fun...although seriously unbalanced.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:23 AM   #94
Admiral Vostok

Well I intend to let the Droid Starfighter do that as well. They would be considerably weaker on the ground, since their lasers are basically pointing down with their legs, but their supposed light missile launchers are still usable. I intend to make them fairly slow on the ground, with less armor (due to being more exposed with a larger profile), and a very low ranged attack. The only use they'll be is to escape Anti-Air fire, I suppose. I want to make a bit of a better gameplay reason for wanting to do it, but as the Trade Federation is second last alphabetically I haven't really thought much about them yet

Old 10-10-2003, 09:36 AM   #95
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

Well seems my idea for an air unit that can go on land has caught on from the Geonosian Warrior.

Your ideas are getting even better Vostok be sure to check my idea in the next few days i'm going t be posting a question for a civ so people can chose between them i'll be doing a basic outline

For The Droid Starfighter when it's Walking That's Called Patrol Mode and it has a better sensor range when on the ground which i found suprising when i checked the Truth but hey so it is writen so it is fact

The Prophet Of Truth

The True Way

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2003, 11:29 PM   #96
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Well I hardly see the point for the geonosian warrior for landing. I mean he will be able to dodge anti-air but will be slaughtered by ranged ground units.

That's kind of a problem I was thinking about the Droid Starfighter in patrol mode. If you make it too strong then he'll be overpowered(due to the relatively small cost of it and its abilities) and if he's not strong enough, avoiding anti-air to be slaughtered by ground forces is kinda dumb.

Old 10-11-2003, 06:35 AM   #97
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Well in my idea, the Droid can land, but as Vostok said, it's really only to avoid AA, although it does havesome interesting scout possabilities.

As for the Geonosian Warrior, i have no idea what Viceroy is on about, but in my idea, instead of flying, it 'hovers' like the Probot to make it more realistic in terms of combat and make better gameplay.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2003, 06:36 AM   #98
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

Geos are fine landing gives them a edge in battle plus also gives the CIS a new strat to raid workers and eliminate troops with. Cant to workers by air, land and walk the way
Old 10-11-2003, 08:17 AM   #99
DK_Viceroy

Maybe Windu you should read other people's idea's instead of waxing lyrically how good your own are and saying that nothing is wrong with them which many people disagree especially on the subject of rockets we all pray that you see the light and drop the imbisillic rocket idea

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Old 10-11-2003, 11:34 AM   #100
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

Well first of all I'm sick of hearing about his template cause it has no balance what so ever so keep it in your own forum and don't flatter yourself over it please. I would rather listen to people who actually play it and know what they are on about then listen to someone who doesn't know how frustrating it is when things aint balanced or copied from another game.
Old 10-11-2003, 11:37 AM   #101
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

With the TF fighter landing it wouldn't really be unbalanced just a mech when landing and a fighter when flying plus it would be vulnerable when landing. Plus not as accurate when on the ground.
Old 10-11-2003, 01:12 PM   #102
JediMasterEd
Forumite

Location: I dunno...somewhere between the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans...
Maybe have it a little bit weaker when it lands seeing that more power is diverted to walking? It could be a possibility to do that as added support, but they'd be better in the air but still have the option to as a last stand type of thing.

The Hailfire droid should be able to attack both ground and air, but try not to make it the ultimate droid on the battlefield. Maybe more on the lines when it's stronger when it attacks ground but weaker when it attacks air, seeing how a single missile took out an walker...

Peter: Another thing that grinds my gears is when I can't find the droids I'm looking for.
Stormtrooper: Yeah, I know. What gives with that?
JediMasterEd is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-11-2003, 11:09 PM   #103
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

True maybe its not the best for taking out aircraft it would kinda fire like an artillary would but fast and a little more range but not as accurate as it.
Old 10-12-2003, 01:46 AM   #104
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Viceroy - if you can make sense of the part regarding the Geonosian Warrior in your previous post, i salute you.
As for the rockets, are you saying that you know more about Star Wars than George Lucas?

With the Hailfire droid, the best way to do this is to have it shoot at both Aircraft and Mechs, which we have seen it is good at. To balance this, simply make it weaker than the Spider Droid and also ineffective against infantry.

That way, we get good realism, along with good gameplay while at the same time making sure that the Spider Droid isnt forgotten, one of Vostok's major concerns.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 10-12-2003, 05:58 AM   #105
Admiral Vostok

Windu - he's not suggesting he knows more about Star Wars than George Lucas, just that he knows more about Star Wars than you. Nowhere in Star Wars do we see Troopers armed with missile launchers. Sure we see rockets elsewhere, so it would be theoretically possible for rocket troopers to exist, but the fact is we don't see them. I'd suggest this is due to the reliance on a store of ammo, and when you've got Mechs and Aircraft that can carry several more times the ammo of a Trooper it makes sense to just give the Trooper a blaster rifle with hundreds of shots in a single power pack.

Viceroy -
Quote:
For The Droid Starfighter when it's Walking That's Called Patrol Mode and it has a better sensor range when on the ground which i found suprising when i checked the Truth but hey so it is writen so it is fact
First of all that is EU, not "fact", however I won't dismiss it because of this. This actually gives me a great idea for the Droid Starfighter - when landed their attack and range is halved, but their LOS is doubled. This makes them excellent scouts, and they're ready in patrol mode to zoom off to attack an enemy they detect with their long LOS.

Old 10-12-2003, 07:19 AM   #106
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

Wrong there was a walking one in Episode 1 and there are heaps in Starfighter. The par t where the republic ship lands in the battle ship the droids turn around there is one right there. When landed they are great cause they shoot down air with relative ease even hit them when the target is not engaging.

I have never really looked at EU so all I'm saying is straight from the movies or some SW games.
Old 10-12-2003, 09:56 AM   #107
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Vostok - considering he reacons that rockets are un-StarWarsy, i consider that to be an anti-Lucas statement.

Anyway, i admit that my idea isnt canon, but it is probable. As i said, considering the vast speeds and heights that aircraft operate at, it just makes sense to have rocket infantry.

PS: games are EU...

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 10-12-2003, 10:11 AM   #108
Admiral Vostok

Frozted - can you do some reading of a person's post before you flame them? I wasn't saying that Droid Starfighters don't go into walk mode, I was saying there is no proof in the movies that they have better sensor range when doing so.

Windu - what do you consider an anti-Lucas statement?

Old 10-12-2003, 10:45 AM   #109
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

Im kinda reconsidering the trooper shooting aa idea just for gameplay. AA rockets are ideal but I still think some sort of laser turrent needs to be in the next game.

Template Flamer and extremely Proud!!!

Disagree and I'm not responsible on the emotional wounds that will haunt you for life.
Old 10-13-2003, 11:18 PM   #110
Admiral Vostok

Well still nothing from my web page provider. They've been claiming the maintenance will be finished in 48 hours for the past two weeks. I might consider moving to another provider if it goes on too much longer...

Old 10-14-2003, 07:15 AM   #111
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Vostok - why dont you just use geocities or something like that?
Also, i consider an anti-Lucas statement anything that goes against what we see in the films. Hence, things like 'rockets are un-starwarsy' to me is anti-Lucas.

PS: in my idea, AA turrets are turbolasers

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 10-14-2003, 08:55 AM   #112
Admiral Vostok

You know what I meant is "rockets used en masse by infantry are un-StarWarsy", which doesn't go against the movies at all.

Geocities are annoying with their popup ads.

Old 10-14-2003, 01:22 PM   #113
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Vostok - what i was referring to is ANY post saying that rockets are un-StarWarsy. Since Lucas decided to include them as weapons, they are StarWarsy.

Geocities does have those annoying ad's, but it's also free and easy to update.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 10-14-2003, 05:54 PM   #114
DK_Viceroy

i never said ROCKETS were un star warsy merely that there use in the aa role is un-starwarsy if you check carefully they were employed as anti mech and an air to air variety

Old 10-15-2003, 12:45 AM   #115
Admiral Vostok

No-one is claiming that Rockets as a whole are unStarWarsy. I even disagree with Viceroy about their use in Anti-Air, because after all the script doesn't say:
"Shoot him down!"
"We're out of rockets, sir!"
"So what? Rockets aren't used to shoot down aircraft!"
"Oh, quite right sir! Fire lasers!"

What I am claiming to be unStarWarsy is the widespread use of rockets amongst infantry forces. Yes, Boba and Jango use them, but they are bounty hunters. Widespread use of jetpacks by infantry would also not be terrible StarWarsy.

You can't just stick every single rocket in he same category. Rockets used by Aircraft and Mechs are very StarWarsy, bu used by normal Troopers they are not. I really don't see why you have so much trouble discerning the two, Windu.

Old 10-15-2003, 03:23 AM   #116
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Viceroy - as Vostok said, they were used in the air-to-air role

Vostok - because there is no difference. With jetpacks and whatnot, since the Clones are clones of Jango, they can carry the same amount he can. Hence, if you remove the jetpack from the rocket launcher, you could easily fit in another 1, if not 2, rockets for Clone Rocket Troopers, with similar loads for the other civs.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 10-15-2003, 04:30 AM   #117
Admiral Vostok

Windu, I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm saying it isn't done. Of course if Jango and Boba have one, anyone could have one, but they don't, and I don't think we should ignore that fact.

Old 10-15-2003, 06:15 PM   #118
DK_Viceroy

I said AIR TO AIR if you read my post rockets were used GROUND TO GROUND and AIR TO AIR not GROUND TO AIR OR AIR TO GROUND read my posts in future and read them well for i give hhidden meanings and twist my words into a trick.

Though AIR TO AIR is hardly very hard to understand

Old 10-15-2003, 07:24 PM   #119
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
This topic is kind of...well you know...

Here, a "rocket" ,through the true definition of the weapon, could probably not shoot down an aircraft.

Now I'm not sure if the Hailfire droid actually shoots rockets or missiles but for the sake of the unit, it's the best AA we can get. Though if it shot rockets, it would actually suck as an AA weapon.

So in other terms, rockets have a very hard time hitting aircrafts. Their speed is not important enough to be able to easily hit a moving aircraft and they do not have any homing capabilities.

Old 10-15-2003, 11:05 PM   #120
Admiral Vostok

I assume, Luke's Dad, you are pulling a "Windu" and using the "real-world" definition of a rocket instead of observing how rockets perform in the movie. For example, the projectiles carried on board the Gunship must be called rockets, because that's what the Clone Trooper calls them, and let's for the moment logically assume he knows what he's talking about (he has been conditioned with military training for ten years straight).

Now, the rockets employed by the Gunships obviously have homing capability, as we can see from their change in direction after being fired: they suddenly twist around to hit a nice target. The speed issue is hard to clarify, though I think the homing argument alone is sufficient to show that we cannot apply the function of real-world rockets to Star Wars rockets.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > Admiral Vostok's plan for SWGB2