lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Admiral Vostok's plan for SWGB2
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-15-2003, 02:18 AM   #201
Admiral Vostok
Lord of Star Wars Purists

What about some of the other ideas that haven't been previously discussed? Mainly:

The Glurrg and Aqua-Glurrg

Water-like and healing effects of Swamp

The Battle Wagon

The Sacred Place

Admiral Vostok, Star Wars Scholar and Lord of the Star Wars Purists.

Check out Admiral Vostok's plan for a new Star Wars RTS
Admiral Vostok is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2003, 02:48 PM   #202
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
1.Glurrg: I'm ok with it. It seems fine having only one of them at the beginning.

2.Swamp: Perhaps it can overpower the gungans over their own land.

3.Battle Wagon: seems fine...

4.Sacred Place: I forgot to mention this I think, but it seems to encourage roaching. Making it invisible might be too much.

http://www.marioramos.ca/ -A friend of mine and an aspiring filmmaker.
lukeiamyourdad is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2003, 03:55 PM   #203
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

it would be interesting to see a cloaked building like the sacred place and how you would balance it but i don't think it would stick even i agree that Cloaking should be kept for units and they should mainly be space units and commando units.

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-15-2003, 09:27 PM   #204
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

K I like most of your ideas for the gungans but...

Gungan troops should be able to swim in shallow,medium water maybe turn it into a t2 reasearch of something but they cannot throw boomas while in the water leaving them vulnerable to boat or air strikes.

Battle wagons should be able to self unload sending boomas flying at the other army imagine a few of those things on a hill while an army is running up ouch thats gotta hurt. NOTE* not recommended unloading these guys behind your army *

I like the sacred place it just makes your enemy have to buy detector units 1 scout could reveil it and they don't cost that much......

I seriously don't like only half farming and the other half don't it will give the ones that don't a serious advantage not having to worry about farms.

Make the aqua glurrgs at the shipyard. Or need a shipyard before being able to be built at the command center.

I think water healing should be taken out they already have enough advantages on water as it is without going over board. It may also give them a home field advantage opening up nothing but defensive gungan players winning cause of that healing factor.

Since you guys haven't given gungans a wealth thing yet I made one up. Gungans are based in water on naboo. So gungan builds collector vats workers aqua glurrgs dive down and collect wealth/treasure that has been left there for centuries just waiting to be found.

The only other problem I found out was gungans are virtually paralysed on a map with no water So since all gungan units are all supplied by them then they should all be a little cheaper than most armies.

Template Flamer and extremely Proud!!!

Disagree and I'm not responsible on the emotional wounds that will haunt you for life.
Frozted_MM's is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2003, 02:04 AM   #205
Admiral Vostok

Okay I'll get rid of the healing Swamp thing. It's too much like Undead Blight/Gaia Lush if it heals anyway.

Shipyard (Bongomekker) needed for Aqua-Glurrgs is good.

I'll also make it that Sacred Places don't count as sustaining buildings in that you'll be defeated even if you still have Sacred Places left. This is like Prefab Shelters and Resource Points.

I don't know about letting the boomas out of the Battle Wagon, Jar Jar did that accidentally and it isn't a Gungan tactic. I incorporated the elemt of losing the Boomas in that when it is destroyed it damages units around it, as all the Boomas roll out.

Not sure about the Wealth idea, Frozted, as they'll be weakened on waterless maps. I think they'll just get a huge Farm bonus. The thing about farms is that those who don't get them have a Wealth gaining ability that makes up for it, while those that do have Wealth-gaining abilities that aren't as good, or even non-existant in the Gungan case.

Old 11-16-2003, 07:45 AM   #206
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

I see so food replaces wealth in some civs.

wook,gungan,rebels
food

rep,confed,tf,naboo,empire
wealth

About the wagon hmmmmm so you need one to load the catapult and stuff?

Maybe if one is next to a mech that fires those boomas it should give it a faster reload time.

CONFED!!!!!!

The pulse cannon was used against air and was controlled by a droid kinda like a strike mech of tf but a huge cannon on the front which demolished mechs, troops and fired at air.

Disagree and I'm not responsible on the emotional wounds that will haunt you for life.
Old 11-16-2003, 07:46 AM   #207
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

I see so food replaces wealth in some civs.

wook,gungan,rebels
food

rep,confed,tf,naboo,empire
wealth

About the wagon hmmmmm so you need one to load the catapult and stuff?

Maybe if one is next to a mech that fires those boomas it should give it a faster reload time.

CONFED!!!!!!

The pulse cannon was used against air and was controlled by a droid kinda like a strike mech of tf but a huge cannon on the front which demolished mechs, troops and fired at air.

Old 11-16-2003, 10:12 AM   #208
AU_Skythe

What about an amphibious /slash/ terrestrial gungan trooper? Same as normal ones but cost a bit more?

I like the booma cart idea but not the spillage part of it.
I like the sarced place idea as well.
Just a thought how would your maps work? Would there be water on every map?

Part of the ArmageddonUnlimited clan
AU_Skythe is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-16-2003, 09:27 PM   #209
Admiral Vostok

The maps would be fairly similar to the current maps, so no to water being on every map. I might make amphibious troopers a late-game upgrade, allowing them to swim but slower than they can walk, and unable to attack.

Old 11-17-2003, 10:54 AM   #210
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

*Brings in his lawyers*

HALT!!!!!

The swimming gungans is my idea MINE!!!!!

lucky for you I aint making a template but I guess you can steal it :P

K will you have running in this game cause in swgb 1 its like they were walking to battle and when retreating walking away lol.

Maybe there should be a run feature that last up to 30 secs and needs a 1 min energy recharge for ORGANIC troops.

Old 11-17-2003, 09:06 PM   #211
Admiral Vostok

Frozted, we discussed amphibious Gungan Troopers before you even came here.

As for running, I think it sounds a bit complicated to have a special ability. Perhaps their movement depends on their stance. So Troopers set on Aggressive stance will run, Defensive stance will walk, and Stand Ground/No Stance just stand there. It would be cool to incorporate running this way, then you could have a battle like Geonosis where all the Battle Droids and Super Battle Droids were running (set to Aggressive) into the Clone Troopers, who were progressing slowly (set to Defensive). At Naboo, the Trade Federation was on Defensive (marching slowly into battle) while the Gungans were Standing Ground - yet retreated Aggressively.

EDIT: Actually, having thought about this, it would be great to expand the stance idea, which has fallen into not being used in Age of Mythology. I think these only apply to Infantry, but I propose the following additions to the stance system:

Aggressive: Units seek out and attack fresh targets. Aggressive Infantry run into and out of battle, which increases their speed by 50%. They cannot shoot while moving, but when stopped can shoot to their fullest capacity.
Defensive: Units will attack enemy units, but return to their position once the enemy is killed or retreats too far away. Defensive Infantry advance and falls back at a walking pace, but this has the added advantage of allowing them to shoot on the move, making a slow advance or fighting retreat. However shooting on the move decreases their Accuracy by 50%. Ranged Defensive Infantry wil automatically make fighting retreats when overwhelmed, so they automatically move back from advancing enemy, firing on the move.
Stand Ground: Units will attack enemy in range but do no move from their position. If Infantry Standing Ground are ordered to move, they move at a walking pace but cannot shoot as though they were Defensive. However, units ordered to Stand Ground are usually defending a superior position, and are well dig in, so their Rate of Fire is increased by 50%.
No Stance: Confers no special circumstances.

Last edited by Admiral Vostok; 11-18-2003 at 09:35 AM.
Old 11-18-2003, 08:20 AM   #212
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Not bad Vostok. Sounds a LOT like 'Star Trek Armada' and Armada 2, but still, a vast improvement on the stances avaliable in SWGB.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Inter Arma Enim Silent Leges
Darth Windu is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-18-2003, 09:35 AM   #213
Admiral Vostok

What do they have in Star Trek Armada?

Old 11-18-2003, 07:10 PM   #214
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Anyone thought about a "attack-while-moving" skill?

Old 11-20-2003, 06:15 AM   #215
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

I think they should all be able to shoot while running but only in frontwards conflict no shooting from the left while running to the right. Fighters would be the exception depends on there laser alignments.

Old 11-20-2003, 07:51 PM   #216
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Probably...Maybe it could be a gunship ability or something. It's the only fighter I can think of which can do that.

So ok no strafing. That should be fine.

Old 11-20-2003, 09:38 PM   #217
Admiral Vostok

I'd say all units have to face the direction they fire in for simplicity, though some units like the AAT and the different Naboo speeders have turrets that rotate independently of the main vehicle.

Though I'm hesitant to give the Gunship more abilities, it would be cool to include it's guns on different facings. Perhaps just giving it a weak attack from the back would suffice.

Old 11-22-2003, 09:59 AM   #218
DK_Viceroy
Viceroy of the Truist Way

Hmm for fighters it should propably only be the gunsip and the geonosian fighter since only those 2 had turrets that either moved in different directions or were actually seen to move.

Geonosian Fighter

Able to fire 90 degrees left and right and 45 degrees up or down

Gunship

Able to fire almost at any ground target but not at many air targets but the more firepower needed means more clone troopers must be onboard to man the multiple turrets

I AM the prophet of the truth the protector of Star Wars Truism

Star Wars Truism by it's very nature is eternal and will outlive Star Wars Purism

Everything I say is a lie for the Truth is always greater than the words we use to describe it

Do you have any last words?

DK_Viceroy is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-24-2003, 02:37 AM   #219
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Viceroy - the Geonosian Starfighter does NOT have a turret. In the film we can clearly see that it only fires forward.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-24-2003, 09:01 PM   #220
Admiral Vostok

Well Windu, without resorting to the EU which states it does have a rotatable turret, evidence suggests this to be the case anyway.

The laser turret itself is a ball design, and is actually ver similar in appearance to the ball turrets on the nose of the Gunship, which we know do have some rotational ability. Also, there wasn't a situation where the Geonosians could make use of a roatatable turret, so we don't know it doesn't exist.

On the other hand, I fail to see what use a single rotating weapon on a one-man fighter would be.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:48 AM   #221
saberhagen

Quote:
Originally posted by Admiral Vostok
I fail to see what use a single rotating weapon on a one-man fighter would be.
In real life, absolutely no use at all (remember the Bolton and Paul Defiant? No, and there's a reason why it never became as famous as the Spitfire.). However, this isn't real life, this is Star Wars.
saberhagen is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #222
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Actually i do recall the Defiant, but the main reason that failed wasnt so much that it had a turret but that it had to forward-firing weapons, along with the added weight of the turret and 2nd crew member making it more sluggish than its Luftwaffe opponents.

Getting back to the point, Vostok, there is evidence that it doesnt rotate.

1. Dooku's 'ball' cockpit doesnt rotate
2. The Gunship ball doesnt rotate, its on a mechanical arm
3. If it did rotrate 90 degrees to left or right, it would have made a lot more sense to fly alongside the Gunship and fire into it's side rather than its behind, as its side would present a much larger target along with the option of killing the pilot. As this didnt happen, it can be conluded that the Ball doesnt rotate.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-25-2003, 10:55 AM   #223
Admiral Vostok

Well sorry for the delay but the Rebel Alliance is now up. Check it out.

I agree with your post Windu except for point 2. I was referring to the lasers on the nose (and for that matter the ones on the wings and at the rear) not the two ball cockpits on arms at the sides.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:08 PM   #224
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Interesting.

Why don't you give something else then a flame attack to your scout. It's kinda weird...mounted soldiers have never been seen using flamethrowers.

Also the medium transport should be built by an astromech droid(put realism aside). Depending on the time it takes to build one, in early games this can be a big handicap.

Other then that it's fine, your trench version is also nice.

Old 11-25-2003, 08:46 PM   #225
Admiral Vostok

I thought the flamer would add a bit of variety. After all, we don't see tauntaun riders with ranged attacks either.

I disagree about the Medium Transport. It will be buildable from the start of the game, and since you can build it at the Airfield as well as a the Alliance Centre I don't think there is a disadvantage. At the start of the game the Medium Transport will be the only thing you can build at the Airfield. If you get an Astromech to build it it is too similar to other civ's prefab shelter equivalents. As compensation though the Alliance Centre will support more population than other Command Centre equivalents.

Old 11-25-2003, 09:58 PM   #226
lukeiamyourdad
Using Teletraan I

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
1.I thought the flamer would add a bit of variety. After all, we don't see tauntaun riders with ranged attacks either.

2.As compensation though the Alliance Centre will support more population than other Command Centre equivalents.
1. Ok well...hmmm...I guess so but still it seems weird.

2. seems fine now, you should add that to avoid further confusion.

Old 11-26-2003, 03:46 AM   #227
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

1. Personally, i think flamer's are a bad idea. Trying to keep as close to Star Wars as possible, i have actually updated my confederacy idea with the 'IG Lancer Droid' replacing the previous Confed scout unit.

As for trenches Vostok, it seems rather complicated to build trenches that can be destroyed, because that also means you have to maintain these small defences. Instead, my Rebel Infantry entrench themselves with no extra cost but the same benefits.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-26-2003, 07:08 AM   #228
Admiral Vostok

1. What would you suggest instead of the flamer? I want to make them good against Mechs for balance, so maybe grenades? Or should they not be good against mechs and just be a non-specialty unit?

2. Shall make the Alliance Centre pop changes soon.

3. I think trenches need to be destroyable. They can be used as a barrier against infantry so if they aren't destroyable you can effectively deny infantry access to an area. My trenches are at no extra cost too, and are not repairable. Just having Rebels entrench themselves is both unrealistic and too similar to Red Alert 2.

Old 11-28-2003, 08:51 AM   #229
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Well with trenches, i agree that my idea is similar to RA2, but i think it is also superior and more realistic because-

1. It allows more flexability
2. It makes Rebel infantry more powerful in the absence of mechs
3. It (sort of) goes along with the films
4. Allows more effective Rebel defences
5. Doesnt add tedious construction work

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-28-2003, 11:14 PM   #230
Admiral Vostok

I disagree entirely, especially with the notion that yours is realistic.

1. Trenches aren't supposed to be flexible.
2. My Rebel Aircraft are what make up for the absence of Mechs, as it should be.
3. Yours in no way reflects the films, mine does entirely.
4. Having simplistic trenching your way will turn into more of an offensive ability rather than defensive, just as it did in RA2.
5. Trenches are tedious construction work, how is it realistic for things to be the complete opposite?

Now, how about some of my other Rebel ideas:
Resource Skiff (like the AoM Norse Ox Cart) - note, Windu, that while this is taken from another game it is less obscure and more relevant to Star Wars.
Smuggler - I'm unsure whether making him an Air unit will overpower Rebel trading.
X-Wings and Y-Wings carrying Astromechs to increase their stats - I thought this would be an interesting way to add more uniqueness to Rebel Workers, and emphasise the fact that only a few of the Rebel Aircraft use Astromechs unlike the Naboo who all use Astromechs or other civs which don't use any.
Power Generator - I wanted the Rebels to use only power droids but thought this would make them too weak late game, so added the power generator.
Airspeeder special ability with tow cable.
Units like the Strike Guerilla, Demolition Expert and Bothan Spy.

Old 11-29-2003, 05:51 AM   #231
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

I disagree Vostok
1. I didnt say Trenches would be flexible, but that the Rebel infantry would be more flexible

2. I mean on the ground...

3. That is rubbish. In the film, the Rebels used trenches, in my idea, the Rebels use trenches

4. Not true, the time taken to get into/out of a trench during which Rebel infantry cannot fire should suffice in that regard

5. If they are tedious to build, no-one will build them!

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 11-29-2003, 09:26 AM   #232
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

These treanches better be coming into game in the 3rd tech level Rebels will be way overpowered in early rushes and gaming with them in t2.

There is no way in hell im having a game based on the crappy aom in the 1st place noone on the zone who still plays the 1st one likes aom its crap.

Old 11-29-2003, 10:06 AM   #233
saberhagen

I don't think trenches should be an impassable barrier to enemy troopers as that would detract from gameplay and realism. Maybe they should just give defending troopers a bonus like +1 armour or something. They could be impassable to some/all mechs or heavy weapons at first, but then there could be an upgrade you can research later that lets your vehicles go over trenches.

Every building in SWGB takes time and resources to build, but if a building is necessary and the cost is reasonable, people will build it in order to win.
Old 11-29-2003, 11:43 AM   #234
Admiral Vostok

Windu -
1. Well yes, your troopers are more "flexible" because they can build a trench anywhere. This is entirely unrealistic though.
2. I mean in the air. What's the difference? Air should be better integrated and therefore interchangable with ground.
3. Correction: mine use trenches like the movie. Your dig seperate one-man holes, for which the name "trench" is totally unacceptable.
4. What I'm saying is that since your idea is the one from RA2, we'll see the exact same gameplay as we did in that game: Rebel Troopers will walk into an enemy base and entrench themselves... totally wrong as I'm sure you'll agree.
5. Everything is "tedious" to build. Maybe tedious is the wrong word... What I mean is it takes a bit more thinking much like wall placement.

Frozted -
If used Windu's way it would be overpowered in early tech levels, but my way it is just like building walls or turrets. And I didn't say the whole thing was based on AoM, I just said the Resource Skiff was.

Saberhagen -
I mean the trenches to be sort of a different kind of wall the Rebels can build. I thought limiting Infantry, while not entirely realistic, also isn't unrealistic, so for the purposes of gameplay I added it. Making it impassable to Mechs at all would be unrealistic, they can just step/hover/wheel right over a trench.

Old 11-30-2003, 05:43 AM   #235
Frozted_MM's
Rookie

I still think it is gonna over power them if given in t1 or 2.

Old 11-30-2003, 06:53 AM   #236
Admiral Vostok

I think t2 would be acceptable, since that is when you can get medium walls and turrets currently, and they aren't overpowered. T1, you're probably right, would be too powerful.

Old 11-30-2003, 08:38 AM   #237
saberhagen

Quote:
Making it impassable to Mechs at all would be unrealistic, they can just step/hover/wheel right over a trench.
Oh yeah. I obviously wasn't thinking when I posted that!

Quote:
while not entirely realistic, also isn't unrealistic
What??? Were you one of John Major's spin doctors in another life? (That will probably be lost on most if not all of you).
Old 11-30-2003, 09:30 PM   #238
Admiral Vostok

What I meant was that it is not realistic for infantry to be totally blocked off by trenches, but on the other it also isn't realistic for it to not stop them at all. So making it impassable to infantry makes for an interesting spin gameplay wise. Besides, the only trench type of trench that enemy infantry could realistically get past is an unmanned one, and if enemy infantry come across an unmanned trench they can easily destroy it to get past.

So in conclusion making it impassable to infantry is more realistic and better gameplay than I had originally realised.

If you can make sense of the above post I salute you.

Old 12-01-2003, 02:49 AM   #239
Darth Windu
TSLRP Beta Tester

Vostok-
1. No it isnt. Are you saying that you can only build trenches in certain places and not others?

2. Not true. Air will never be interchangable with ground. The Rebels will have a strong air force, but my trench system gives their infantry some support against mechs, just as it did in ESB

3. Again, wrong (you're on a roll). My trenches would perform exactly the same function for the rebels as it did in the films.

4. Wrong. The CONCEPT comes from RA2, not the UNIT. My trenching would take longer to simulate a trench being dug, and during the time that a Rebel is entrnching themself, they would be unable to attack. The problem with RA2 was that the effect was instant, mine isnt.

5. No, it isnt. Something is tedious when you dont want to build it or make use of it, and that is the fate your trenches will suffer. Mine, on the other hand, are easy to use and hence will be used a lot more. Your idea also suffers from the fact that it has to be built section by section, and that without garrisoning troops in it, it is utterly useless.

Dark Lord of the Purists

Old 12-01-2003, 05:16 AM   #240
Admiral Vostok

1. What I mean is you shouldn't be able to run into an enemy base and build a trench. However, if your trenchers build slower and are more vulnerable than the ones in RA2 then that would be okay.

2. Mine does too.

3. This is your only point I strongly disagree with, so concentrate on this. Explain to me how a single trooper in his own personal hole was anything like what we saw in the movies.

4. Fine then.

5. Actually my trenches will be built like walls, so while you do have to build them section by section you can click and drag to build an extended trench. Also a trench without troopers in will still serve a purpose: it slows down enemy infantry armies. I don't like it how with your idea the Trooper fills in his hole when he leaves the trench. Think of my trench as a different kind of wall rather than a Trooper ability.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > Empire At War > Community > GalacticBattles.com > Star Wars: Galactic Battlegrounds > Galactic Discussion > Admiral Vostok's plan for SWGB2