lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: JA lightsabers ?
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-01-2003, 03:44 PM   #41
Psynex

Quote:
Originally posted by Wolrajh
About the spec files, I haven't tried yet. But I think it is applied in Max as well. The spec textures' format and elements positionnings are exactly the same as the common textures.... And you can affect a map to specular under Max as well. So I believe it is all work with Max. What I haven't really figured for now are the glow options. File format is different, so I don't know yet. Will see later, probably. Those two things, specular and glow, are what can truly make the differences between one common hilt and one good one
Ok, so I looked into it. I figured if there was more then one texture involved with the skinning of a saber (especially spec and glow) that shaders HAD to have a part in it. Found in the weapons.shader you will get your answer:

models/weapons2/saber_5/saber_5
{
{
map models/weapons2/saber_5/saber_5
rgbGen lightingDiffuse
}
{
map models/weapons2/saber_5/saber_5_spec
blendFunc GL_SRC_ALPHA GL_ONE
detail
alphaGen lightingSpecular
}
{
map models/weapons2/saber_5/saber_5_glow
blendFunc GL_ONE GL_ONE
glow
detail
rgbGen identity
}
}

All sabers are listed in there. I sampled saber_5 because it used spec and glow textures. No need to add your sabers to the weapons.shader, just make a .shader file with those attributes for the spec and glow.
Psynex is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-01-2003, 10:22 PM   #42
Wolrajh
Rookie

Good news Psynex This will probably help to create cooler and cooler hilts. I haven't much to add here yet!
Except that I'll be trying to make a tutorial soon... Many peoples asked me to, so I'll probably use some of my precious spare time If that happens, I'm sure to give you credits, Psynex, and maybe a little url link. At least, if you accept.
Wolrajh is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-02-2003, 12:50 PM   #43
Psynex

Don't give me the credit....Raven did it. I just found it. However, what would be cool is if you type up the tutorial, I could add it to mine. Between you and I we could form Vultron! I mean, a super great tutorial with all questions answered. Even if anyone else chipped in we could combine all 5 lions.
Old 10-16-2003, 07:25 PM   #44
JevTaliz
Lurker

Hey, I know this doesn't really fit here 100%, but any tips any of you could give me in setting up a decent UV map in Gmax? I've figured out how to get the untextured sabers in game (thanx in great part to psynex's turotial ) But I just can't figure out UVs in gmax. I'm pretty good at skinning... all I need is to know how to set up the UV maps to get started.
JevTaliz is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-17-2003, 10:07 PM   #45
JevTaliz
Lurker

Well, I got my test saber in game and working. Now I'd like to use it in single player...something was mentioned about editing the .menu files? I gave it a quick try and I obviously missed something.

And until I figure this out, whats the console command to change sabers?
Old 10-23-2003, 01:03 PM   #46
Psynex

Quote:
Originally posted by JevTaliz
Hey, I know this doesn't really fit here 100%, but any tips any of you could give me in setting up a decent UV map in Gmax? I've figured out how to get the untextured sabers in game (thanx in great part to psynex's turotial ) But I just can't figure out UVs in gmax. I'm pretty good at skinning... all I need is to know how to set up the UV maps to get started.
This is a rather lengthy Tutorial I wrote. I figure about half-way through you should get the picture:

Unwrap Tutorial
Old 10-25-2003, 03:40 AM   #47
JevTaliz
Lurker

Thats ok, I managed to find a basic tutorial and figured out the rest (I've UV mapped before, it was more of an issue of figuring out Gmax's interface for it).

My real problem now is getting the saber to be single plyaer selectable.
Old 11-20-2003, 04:41 AM   #48
ondrahosek

To see the file syntax for SAB files, check out ext_data/sabers/sabers.sab in assets1.pk3.

Psynex, I have some addendums to make to your tutorial:

1. MD3View can read the relative path through the skin file (like models/map_objects/toilets/pissoir.jpg) if you have a legal version of JA installed.

2. Tell the newbies that they have to put where they want the player's hand to be onto the origin (0,0,0) in max.

3. saberColor doesn't work, because you are in a menu where you can pick a color yourself. If you want the default colors (as described in saberColor), write "saber new_custom_saber" into the console.

4. I always only tell the exporter plug-in for max to export only those objects that begin with a "w_", because I backup the old ones (the saber made of primitives and the unoptimized saber).

5. For me, the tag export worked. The tags should be "tag_parent" on 0,0,0 and "tag_blade#" anywhere I want.

6. Naming the saber folder "single_#" or "dual_#" does not help you at all. It's just a bit of Raven's "everything is numbered and not named" trick. I had no problems naming my saber folder "saber_woodblade" for a saber with seven blades and my other saber folder "saber_lilit" (Lilit Twoseas' saber). It really is the .SAB file that counts.

7. Even if you are making a multi-bladed saber, keep the type set to "SABER_SINGLE". Only when you want to make a staff-like saber that can't be used as dual sabers you may use SABER_STAFF.

If you still have some problem, feel free to to post it here and I will look into it.

Now to you, JevTaliz.

The file you need to edit is in assets1.pk3 and is called ui/saber.menu.

If you open this file, you will see something between Java and gibberish. The question you need to ask yourself is "As what kind of saber do I want to declare mine?"

To add it as a Single Saber, search for the text @MENUS_SINGLE_HILT1. To add it as an option in Dual Sabers, search for "ui_saber2" with quotes. To add it as a staff, search for @MENUS_STAFF_HILT1.

You should find yourself near a list named "CvarStrList". In there, you can see entries like:
@MENUS_SINGLE_HILT1 "single_1"

What you need to do is to add your own entry like this:
"<name_of_your_saber>" "<name_in_sab_file>"
e.g.
"The Two Seas" "lilitsaber"
if your .sab file begins with:

lilitsaber
{

Hope that helped.

Ondra
(Ravu al Hemio, IH8Andre)
ondrahosek is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-21-2003, 09:42 PM   #49
Vile
Rookie

just a note maby the max blades is set to less than 8 as in the code it is
if(blades<8)
ok what ever
else{
return to main screen code
that error message}

just a guess...........

also for the making your own tags what exactly do I do to make the saber not backwards as you said do it yourself but I am still trying to figure out what it is I have to do

-keyboard not detected please hit Enter to continue-
Vile is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-22-2003, 05:38 AM   #50
ondrahosek

Nope, I checked the specifications, you can have up to 8 blades INCLUSIVE. That means you may use a saber with eight blades!
(I made a seven-bladed one, and, if you type the correct command into the console, every blade has some other color)

To make your own tags, I recommend importing some existing ones and duplicating them. Use the MD3 importer to get "models/weapons2/saber/saber_w.md3" (from assets1.pk3; it's Kyle's saber).

You will get the saber geometry and two tags (I think it's tag_parent and tag_flash). tag_parent should import exactly on 0,0,0 and tag_flash somewhere around.

To meet JA specification:[list=1][*]Everything that belongs to your saber must begin with a "w_".[*]You must export your hilt at 0,0,0 where you want the player's hand to be.[*]Rename tag_flash to tag_blade1 and duplicate it (to tag_blade2 until tag_blade8, depending on the number of blades you want).[/list=1]

You will have to model your hilt out of primitives, convert them to editable meshes, attach them so that they are one editable mesh. Then, you texture, UVW and export it. Then you write a SAB and a SKIN file.

If you want to know more about one step, post a reply.

Post Scriptum: I would be happy if you'd ever use the '.' button on your keyboard. i dont like it if you write like this i will have to figure out where one sentence ends and then when a new one begins that is very painful so please use that button

Ondra
Old 11-22-2003, 11:12 AM   #51
Vile
Rookie

Sorry. Is this much better? I normally type like I talk and that means no peroids .

Anyway, I cant get my saber to NOT be backwars (as in the beam). I had it normal once but it soon when back to backwards after I finished the model..... Cant remember what I did to make it normal.

Oh and on that note I found that making both or one of the sabers backwars looks really freaking ausome for duel sabers!

PS:The tag_parent is where the had goes not the 0,0,0 <- but that is where the hand goes if there is no tag_parent

Old 11-23-2003, 05:29 PM   #52
ondrahosek

Well - I hate risking I always put the saber to 0,0,0.

You don't have to kill yourself with capitalisation (I am one of the least people here who do it), but some periods are useful

Sorry, I am not able to upload a screenshot of the hilt anywhere - so I will have to try and explain.

The tag is a triangle and should be directly over the tip of the saber in this form:

|\

This is the mistake in Psynex's tutorial - he has the tag_blade turned over incorrectly. It's supposed to go from the saber, not into.

If you could tell me where I can upload a screenshot, I would be happy to do so!

Ondra
Old 11-23-2003, 10:35 PM   #53
Vile
Rookie

I got it fixed

how I prevent the saber beam from originating from the origin? It goes in the direction I want but it wants to start at the origin regardless where the tag_blade is.

Question, from anyone's knoledge is it possible to make a 2 sided light saber (any saber with more than 1 balde really) be able to be thrown? As so far I can only throw it when it has 1 blade no matter what I make the tags in the .sab

Last edited by Vile; 11-24-2003 at 12:28 AM.
Old 11-24-2003, 07:56 PM   #54
Higginson

hi, i been following this thread for a while, and i just got a saber to work in SP, (it was from JO) is there anyway i can give it a name so it appears in the SP menu, and also to have it rotating like the other sabers?

:edit: k, i got the name to show up in SP when i'm choosing it, but i still cant get it to appear as the other sabers do on the select menu when u select it.

MSN MESSENGER: Johnnyknoxville113@hotmail.com
Thanks To Lost Welshman For The Sweet Avatar
git_sum_stuka donated: 38 points, Padanime donated: 30 points, NeoDios donated : 556 points, Reborn Outcast donated: 100 points, Katarn07 donated: 25 points, CyBerNetiX donated: 50 points, Lost Welshman donated: 255 points
Jediknightiii.co.uk Forums

Last edited by Higginson; 11-24-2003 at 08:19 PM.
Higginson is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-05-2003, 11:35 PM   #55
Azrael666
Rookie

Ive come into some trouble with GMAX, I cant export the saber back out, which seems weirds since i could import it in!
Azrael666 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-08-2003, 03:14 PM   #56
Forceflow_tap

Lightbulb Pointless

May be kind of pointless for y'all, but I finally got a new hard drive installed on my computer, and once I've gotten the patch for Academy, as well as getting it back from my friend who's borrowing it, work will resume on "More Hilts" and "More Hilts DX". Hopefully, I'll remember exactly how I did all that work. Otherwise, it'll be driving me absolutely mad...

"The Time is Nigh, whatever that means..." - Me
Forceflow_tap is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-10-2003, 07:50 PM   #57
MDN14
Rookie

I am having problems importing the md3. I downloaded the script and put it in my scripts folder, then choose run script when I start Gmax but then when I try to import the MD3 file it says No proper import module found. And the only way I can see the file I want to import is if I go to all files (*.*) in the file type area. Can anyone help?
MDN14 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 03-11-2004, 06:24 PM   #58
jon_hill987

Current Game: BRINK
Forum Veteran 
Quote:
Originally posted by Psynex
This is a rather lengthy Tutorial I wrote. I figure about half-way through you should get the picture:

Unwrap Tutorial
I think this tutorial would really help me but it would seem the link is broken or its not on the site anymore. anyway could you please put it back or mail it to me if possable, thanx

jon_hill987 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2006, 01:45 AM   #59
Ranius
Rookie

just a note: i can't see the tutorial on page 1
Ranius is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 01-26-2006, 10:40 AM   #60
Sith Dagger
Rookie

Its simple, add a second tag, called *blade2
and then you have to program that into the .sab file as well.
Down at www.jk3files.com there is a ext_data helper file available for download, and it has .sab manipulation help in it.
Or over at filefront there is a tutorial (Which is the main reason I go over there.) for .sab file manipulation.
Sith Dagger is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > General Editing > JA lightsabers ?