lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Christianity
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 10-06-2003, 01:18 PM   #81
vegietto

hey all jokes aside my dog is name samson but only it is spelled sampson. I know he was not the only one in the fight, because it is impossible for one man to beat 1,000 men, that just can't happened.

Quote:
"Saul has killed thousands, but david has killed tens of thousands"

now, it is pretty amazing that david could single handedly kill over 10,000 people, whether it was spaced out, or at one time. The thing ive figured out is, he didnt actually do it, but he was more like the general commanding men, with his strategy he killed tens of thousands. (he normally has a large group of people with him) i think thats what happend with samuel.
Now i don't see how David did it either i mean he has lucky to live i mean if it really happened. I mean he killed alot of men to do and he couldn't do it i mean for real that is very impossible

Thanks to joetheeskimo05 for the sig!

Under the great training of Zbomber
vegietto is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2003, 01:21 PM   #82
shukrallah
White Dragon

David always had a huge group of people following him, thousands i think. David was the leader...
shukrallah is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-06-2003, 01:46 PM   #83
vegietto

i know he had more people but he was strong by himself i mean after beating goliath everyone followed hm cause they throught hey he beat a giant he can beat anyone so they joined him

Old 10-06-2003, 06:37 PM   #84
Kain
I'm a ghost

Current Game: Not so much.
Forum Veteran 10 year veteran! 
WHAT WAR?!?! WHAT WAR?!?!?!?!?!

The Crusades anyone? Yes, they were the followers of Christ, CHRISTIANS.

And whats to say all of the apostles weren't high? The Bible?

I never said Christ went against the government, PER SE. The Romans were worried that Christ would rise against them.

And didn't the Manson family bail on Charley in the end too? Oh yea, THEY DID. They even testified against him in court.
Kain is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2003, 02:10 AM   #85
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
The Crusades anyone? Yes, they were the followers of Christ, CHRISTIANS.
Kain, you act as if we didnt already know this.

Im ganna leave the catholic thingy alone... and try it a different way. whether what i said was true or not, it wont stop people from thinking christians are evil, and started a huge war, and killed thousands... so its not worth wasting bandwidth to post it again.

So, is christ responsible? Just because someone sins doesnt mean its God's fault, or christ's. They set rules up that said not to do this. It doesnt mean the religion is bad, because a certain member (or thousands of members) does something wrong. If that were the case, every group, organisation, religion etc isnt fit to be around. why? Because everyone does immoral acts.

From what ive read about the crusades, it started with a guy named peter the hermit (dont know how true this story is) anyways, he would preach, and get everybody into a religious fury... anyways, somewhere along the line things happend, and they started running out of supplies and they started stealing from peoples houses, and doing wrong deeds such as these.(thou shalt not steal) when they ran out of supplies, someone said they could kill the "enemies of God." the church did not approve of this. Anyways, like i said, i dont know how true it is, nor did i bother to read the whole thing. Enemies of God could simply mean someone who doesnt believe the way they do. I could believe in God but not the same way a cathlic does (for those that know me, know im strictly stuck to my bible) so i guess i *could* have been killed for that, but im not sure.

Something to keep in mind that just because someone says they are a christian, doesnt mean they are a christian. If you dont believe it, are you a christian. It comes down to what a christian is. If you look in the bible, it says the only way to the father is through the son. So you must go to the son, to get to God. The son is christ (you probably know that) so basically you pray to christ (and mean it) and accept that he did die for you, and that you have sinned (who hasnt?) and that you are sorry (you have to acutally be sorry) and that you want him to be part of your life. Then you can say your a christian. The quick thing i just wrote up doesnt have to be what a person prays, just something simular to that. Just because your a christian doesnt mean your going definatly going to heaven without a shadow of a doubt. The bible says you must be batpised (thats not hard) but it also says only the people who do the will of God can get to heaven. So basically, do what God says, and your good to go. Now thats how it is, if you look through your bible. Your allowed to believe whatever you want.

But still over this whole crusade thing, if they were christians, then is christ responisble for there actions. Are any other christians who did not participate in those events responisble? Are we to take there sins as our own?

Quote:
And whats to say all of the apostles weren't high? The Bible?
Nothing says they werent. But then again, how do i know your not high?

If they were, they wouldnt have all seen the same thing, and i dont think they would have remembered what happend too well (i dont know, ive never been high) even so, if they were hallucinating then it would be impossible for 2 people to have the same hallucination. Its not possible.

Quote:
And didn't the Manson family bail on Charley in the end too? Oh yea, THEY DID. They even testified against him in court.
1. Judas killed himself after he betrayed christ (why, he just gained a large ammount of money, if christ was that bad, he should have been proud of himself.

2. The crowd was bribed, by the leading preists and older leaders, to choose barabbas over christ.

Quote:
I never said Christ went against the government, PER SE. The Romans were worried that Christ would rise against them.

The romans *might* have been scared, but of what? Christ preached about peace, not rebellion. He even supported them in certain ways! Now, the king of Israel was scared, because of the prophesy that jesus would be a king, the thing is, he was not king of israel, but heaven. Thats why judiasm started, they dont believe christ was the messiah, so they decided to continue waiting for the messiah (or an earthly king)

Quote:
...and it's great to see a Christian willing to discuss matters of the Bible PROPERLY with a 'non-believer'. I hope other christians on these boards will follow your example in future...
Theres a right and wrong way? Or is it, a way you prefer, and a way you dont prefer?
Old 10-07-2003, 05:53 AM   #86
Kain
I'm a ghost

Quote:
Originally posted by lukeskywalker1
Nothing says they werent. But then again, how do i know your not high?

Never said I wasn't. That isn't even a relavent point. If anything, thats a cheap shot.

Quote:
If they were, they wouldnt have all seen the same thing, and i dont think they would have remembered what happend too well (i dont know, ive never been high) even so, if they were hallucinating then it would be impossible for 2 people to have the same hallucination. Its not possible.
You'd be surprised actually. Of course, you've never been high.

Quote:
1. Judas killed himself after he betrayed christ (why, he just gained a large ammount of money, if christ was that bad, he should have been proud of himself.
Whos to say the Manson family wasn't upset after they testified? Oh wait, the one that testified DID retract her statement for Charley. Not quite suicide, but whatever.

Quote:
2. The crowd was bribed, by the leading preists and older leaders, to choose barabbas over christ.
Money can do that people. TO ANY person. Everyone has a sum that would change their mind. And don't give me that crap that it isn't true. If someone offered you so much, you'd break.

Quote:
The romans *might* have been scared, but of what? Christ preached about peace, not rebellion. He even supported them in certain ways! Now, the king of Israel was scared, because of the prophesy that jesus would be a king, the thing is, he was not king of israel, but heaven. Thats why judiasm started, they dont believe christ was the messiah, so they decided to continue waiting for the messiah (or an earthly king)
He could've preached whatever he wanted, but he could've started a rebellion at the drop of a hat. The whole peace thing could've been a cover. The human brain CAN do that. Wow.

Now, I'll excuse myself. My beliefes have been laid down and I know from experience that people like you refuse to see the wisdom in it. The Bible has that effect on...yep. Nevermind.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:42 AM   #87
CloseTheBlastDo
Rookie

Quote:
...concerning debating me properly

Theres a right and wrong way? Or is it, a way you prefer, and a way you dont prefer?
The right way to debate me - or anybody else - is to go through each point the other person has made and - well - debate it!

You have barely touched directly on 10% of the points I have made. Instead you have gone off on wild thoughts of fancy full of exxaduration and ignoring totally the fact that I have disupted many of your arguments MANY times...

You are not interested in debating. You are only interested in convincing.
And I'm not going to waste my time going round in circles with you anymore Luke...

To look at 'rational' christian arguments - read posts by both Kurgan and Rainer511. You will find it's not the actual beliefs thats the problem - it's the ability to debate - and having the decency to at least recognise the valid points of others...

Don't get me wrong - your not the only one to not debate things properly on this forum - no matter which side of which argument.
I'm not trying to single you out.
(For example - I'm on your side about the Crusades. I believe they show the dark side of human nature in a general sense - not specifically Christianity...)

But since your asked me directly what I meant by my comments - I'm telling you.

Last edited by CloseTheBlastDo; 10-07-2003 at 12:39 PM.
CloseTheBlastDo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-07-2003, 12:40 PM   #88
shukrallah
White Dragon

well, thanks about the crusade thing ctbd.

Quote:
Money can do that people. TO ANY person. Everyone has a sum that would change their mind. And don't give me that crap that it isn't true. If someone offered you so much, you'd break.
That was my point, they were convinced to ask for jesus to be crusified. It wasnt because he did something wrong.

Quote:
Now, I'll excuse myself. My beliefes have been laid down and I know from experience that people like you refuse to see the wisdom in it. The Bible has that effect on...yep. Nevermind.

It might be wisdom, but judging one of the greatest man whoever lived and comparing him to an insane murderer is sort of.... yep. Nevermind.
Old 10-07-2003, 09:45 PM   #89
Kain
I'm a ghost

Quote:
It might be wisdom, but judging one of the greatest man whoever lived and comparing him to an insane murderer is sort of.... yep. Nevermind.
Everyone has different definitions of 'the greatest man who ever lived'. Everyone in the Manson family believed Charles was the greatest. The apostles thought Christ was. The Hebews thought Moses was. Muslims believed Muhammad was.

The same runs true the other way.
Old 10-08-2003, 12:49 PM   #90
vegietto

Kain you our right everyone has their own opinion, i mean yes they all think someone else is the greatest but most people think Christ is but i don't understand what the Manson family has to do with Christianity

Old 10-08-2003, 01:16 PM   #91
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

The Manson family thought that Charles Manson was the greatest man that had ever lived. Christians believe that Jesus was the greatest man that had ever lived.

"Not all one pleads can be granted. But a good hearing soothes the heart." -The Instruction of Ptah-hotep.

"So here I go, it's my shot. Feet fail me not. This may be the only opportunity that I got..." -Eminem
ShockV1.89 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-08-2003, 01:21 PM   #92
vegietto

i know but the manson family was a bunch of freaks when christians our normal people who live their lifes one day at a time they don't going killing people because they think god wants them too

Old 10-08-2003, 01:39 PM   #93
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
Everyone has different definitions of 'the greatest man who ever lived'. Everyone in the Manson family believed Charles was the greatest. The apostles thought Christ was. The Hebews thought Moses was. Muslims believed Muhammad was.

The same runs true the other way.

Kain, i said one of the greates people who ever lived.
Old 10-08-2003, 02:06 PM   #94
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

Quote:
Originally posted by vegietto
i know but the manson family was a bunch of freaks when christians our normal people who live their lifes one day at a time they don't going killing people because they think god wants them too
You're judging by our standards today. The Romans probably thought Jesus was leading a bunch of freaks around as well.

And to be fair, Christians have killed when they think God wants them to as well. (Crusades anyone?) So maybe the comparison is not so awful at all.
***Disclaimer*** The above comment is, in no way, intended as an attack on Christians or Christianity. I'm simply helping to validate an analysis and comparison. Please do not attack me saying "Not ALL Christians are warlike!" Because I know this....

"Not all one pleads can be granted. But a good hearing soothes the heart." -The Instruction of Ptah-hotep.

"So here I go, it's my shot. Feet fail me not. This may be the only opportunity that I got..." -Eminem
Old 10-09-2003, 12:25 AM   #95
Kain
I'm a ghost

Quote:
Kain, i said one of the greates people who ever lived.
I know what you said. And thats still a matter of opinion. To someone like me (and not atheists, I mean someone with a mindset toward this like mine), he was nothing more than a nut-job with charisma, the same as Manson. To a Christian, he was a messiah and a saviour. If someone said I was one of the greatest men to have ever lived, not everyone would agree with it. The same is true for Christ, Moses, Muhammed, and Manson.
Old 10-09-2003, 01:03 AM   #96
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
You're judging by our standards today. The Romans probably thought Jesus was leading a bunch of freaks around as well.

And to be fair, Christians have killed when they think God wants them to as well. (Crusades anyone?) So maybe the comparison is not so awful at all.
***Disclaimer*** The above comment is, in no way, intended as an attack on Christians or Christianity. I'm simply helping to validate an analysis and comparison. Please do not attack me saying "Not ALL Christians are warlike!" Because I know this....

The Romans could care less about a carpenter's son, they tried him, and said he did nothing wrong! But since it was some holiday and thousands of peopel were outside the building they didnt want to start a riot, so they asked the people who they wanted to set free, Jesus or barrabas. Some law makers convinced the people to to let barrabas go free, so they did, and then they crucified him.

Also, the keyword in your statement is *THINK* i was going to point this out earlier when vegietto said it but I didnt...
Old 10-09-2003, 12:43 PM   #97
vegietto

i know he doesn't kill them intentally but alot of people die for stupid things everyday of the week and i'm sorry but Charles Manson was a crazy person, a freak, he was messed up in the head very badly

Old 10-09-2003, 12:47 PM   #98
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
i know he doesn't kill them intentally but alot of people die for stupid things everyday
If this is about people just dying, we have to die. This is something ive thought about, if we just lived forever (right now) we wouldnt need God.... When you get to heaven you live forever, but only because God saved you.
Old 10-09-2003, 12:53 PM   #99
vegietto

Quote:
If this is about people just dying, we have to die. This is something ive thought about, if we just lived forever (right now) we wouldnt need God.... When you get to heaven you live forever, but only because God saved you.
i know but why die of starvation i mean that is the worst death to me i think it should be of old age or because u died in battle, i mean i know we have to die someday but not like that.

Old 10-09-2003, 07:31 PM   #100
shukrallah
White Dragon

Am I God? Do I know his reasoning? Who is anyone to question God? Who knows, maybe they did something wrong, (im not saying they did, but who knows) an example (aids) My view is, is that the reason aids came out was because of sexual sin. If people could control themselves better, it wouldnt get spread. Either way, i also think everything happens for a reason. That reason being, an event that will happen in the future (The Revelation) Like the bible says, things need to happen before the end. This world isnt ready for the end.

Yes, yes, before you start talking about when people said it was supposed to happen... dont. I know people have said it was going to happen in the 1970s and the year 2000 (mainly because they thought jesus was 2000 yrs old then, but really he was 1997 yrs, he is 2000 now because he was born 4-3 BC) Anyways, the bible says no one knows when it will happen (so people wont slack off, and for other reasons) So when someone says Christ is coming back next week, next year, in ten years, etc... they dont know, so dont bother to listen to it.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:15 PM   #101
CloseTheBlastDo
Rookie

Quote:
Who knows, maybe they did something wrong, (im not saying they did, but who knows) an example (aids) My view is, is that the reason aids came out was because of sexual sin. If people could control themselves better, it wouldnt get spread.
Luke,

Whether your 'god' exists or not has no bearing on the utter dis-taste of your comment.

If your 'god' doesn't exist, then HIV is a terrible killer virus - end of story. Yes - lifestyle choice has very real consequences on the chance of infection, but your implication that sufferers somehow 'deserve' such a virus inflicted on them is - quite frankly - sick.

If your 'god' does exist, but the HIV virus was just a natural occurance (i.e. God didn't DIRECTLY make or spread it - it occured naturally through his already created natural laws) then ditto to my above statement.

...although if your god does exist, then I can perfectly believe he would be the kind of god who WOULD make a killer virus to inflict 'rightful vengence' upon the 'wicked'.
...of course, the fact that HIV also spreads .via blood transfusions (which obviously shows that Jehovahs Witnesses are the true followers of Christ ) and from mother -> child would mean absolutely f**k all to him.
...it's exactly the kind of thing I would expect from such a pathetic, thug of a deity as the biblical god.

Your statement has reminded me of the kind of people who used to parade around when the HIV virus first started to be noticed - waving around big signs with groteque slogans like:

'AIDS KILLS GAYS'
...with a big 'thumbs up' sign under it.

Words cannot describe how much I dispair over your ridiculous attitude to such serious matters...
Why are you surprised when people bash Christianity?!!! Read your own bloody words - the answer is staring you in the face...

...any more ludicrous claims you'd like to make while your at it? How about - skin cancer sufferers deserve to suffer and die for the sin of disgusting, rampant sunbathing?!!

Last edited by CloseTheBlastDo; 10-10-2003 at 08:17 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:26 PM   #102
weiderudare
Veteran

Ah, yes, the eternal question: Does God exists?
I want to share some of my views on this matter...
One of the classical question is:
"If God exists, why is he letting us be tornamented by Aids, starvation etc..."
That's a good point, I mean, If God in all his might created a world, why is he/she/it letting us die?
If you look at today, and for about 400 years ago, the people back there had the plague and wars, big ones, all the time..
Did these people had it better than us?
No, of course not, they died all the time, usually from diseases and wars.
So, If God exists, why would he/she/it charge in and save us all now if he/she/it didn't do it when we had alot tougher?

I also wonders why God created this world(if he/she/it exists)
I mean, is it said in the bible?
Chapter 3, Line eight: "God created the world so everybody could be happy."
Or what?
Maybe God wanted to experiment, to see how long a stupid race would survive.
To show for his/her/its friends: "You can't guess what my world did today, I killed over 35 million without a reason!"

More will come.

You can't say that civilization isn't in progress, because in every war, they kill you in a new way
weiderudare is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-09-2003, 08:33 PM   #103
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
...of course, the fact that AIDS also spreads .via blood transfusions (which obviously shows that Jehovas Witnesses are the true followers of Christ ) and from mother -> child would mean absolutely f**k all to him.
Yes, thats something i should have said.. its not there fault. But it is the mothers fault.

Look, how is aids spread, through sex. If your constantly switching partners, chances are your going to get it. Stick with your wife (or find one) and then thats that. I guess it depends on your point of view, but constantly switching partners is wrong, and when you do, you will most likly get something. I look at it as a punishment. As for babies maybe it will teach the mother a lesson (sorry about the baby, as its not there fault, but theres nothing that can be done about it correct? Theres no cure, no way to save the baby, and it wasnt there fault) If it happend to me, id definatly learn from it: Now someone has died, who didnt need to, as a result of my actions. As for blood transfusions, its not that persons fault, nor did i say it was. (hey, didnt you notice i said because of their sins, since when did receiving a blood transfusion become a sin? Or being born for that matter?)

Quote:
..although if your god does exist, then I can perfectly believe he would be the kind of god who WOULD make a killer virus to inflict 'rightful vengence' upon the 'wicked'.
And...??? That was basically my point. (excluding certain situations)

Look, i dont want anyone to have something like this, but still, in my view its wrong to constantly switch partners... I dont know what your view is. If you think its fine, then fine, you do what you think is right. If you werent doing that in the first place, you probably wouldnt have gotten it. If you do it, then fine take your chances, its not illegal. Its like stealing, you take a chance, you get out with the stuff, or you get caught. Same with sexual sins, you have sex, your fine, or you get a disease.
Old 10-09-2003, 08:39 PM   #104
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
Originally posted by weiderudare
Chapter 3, Line eight: "God created the world so everybody could be happy."
Or what?
Maybe God wanted to experiment, to see how long a stupid race would survive.
To show for his/her/its friends: "You can't guess what my world did today, I killed over 35 million without a reason!"

youve read the thread right? At least read the last few comments. Anyways, chapter 3 line 8 of what? I looked in genesis, and its not what you said?

Also, when have 35 million people just simply died?

A lot of what you asked was what can God do for me (or what isnt he doing for me/us) The thing is, we dont do anything for him. If we started then maybe something would get done. Are we worthy to get saved from this world? No. I take it you read "chapter 3 line 8 (whatever that is) but why havnt you read the rest, or have you? And even more importantly did you understand it? Did you really read it, or just look for contradictions and holes?

Last edited by SkinWalker; 10-10-2003 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:09 PM   #105
CloseTheBlastDo
Rookie

Quote:
(hey, didnt you notice i said because of their sins, since when did receiving a blood transfusion become a sin? Or being born for that matter?)
The bible DOES tell you not to intake blood (i.e. blood transfusion).
The Jehovah's Witnesses have the 'correct' interpertation of the Bible, and have known this for years.

If you take a blood transfusion which then results in you being infected with HIV and thereby contracting AIDS, it serves your dumb, sinful arse right for not obeying

'ambiguous'
'immature'
'bully-boy'

god.

IS being born a SIN?
NO - of COURSE it isn't.

...but the child still get's to die for the 'sins' of it's parent!
Halelluah! Praise the Lord! I've been converted!!

If you think I'm being serious, please re-adjust your sarcasm detector...

Last edited by CloseTheBlastDo; 10-10-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 10-09-2003, 09:10 PM   #106
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

So how do you explain something like the Holocaust. Was that done to teach anyone a lesson? Was God punishing the Jews? If so, why would he punish all the other people that got thrown into the furnaces (cripples, mentally deficient, black people, etc)? Did THEY do something wrong too? Seems to me God did something wrong in making the cripples born how they were (ie, no legs, blind, etc).

Were the Jews slaughtered by the millions to make an example to others? Face it, there was NO real good reason for them to die, and God (supposing he's omnipotent) could have done something to save these (largely) innocent people. And if he was benevolent, he would have. Heck, if I see a guy sprawled out on the street, bleeding from a head wound, I dont stop and think to myself "Hey, this guy hasn't done anything for me. Screw him," and keep on walking. No, I help him.

I'd hate to think that I'm a nicer person than God.

Old 10-10-2003, 02:56 AM   #107
Cosmos Jack

"ShockV1.89" If you like all that good stuff god does you will love this site.... This site says everything I think and a little more. lol
http://www.skepticsannotatedbible.com/)

-QUOTE------
Every cock fights best on his own dunghill.
Cosmos Jack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2003, 03:44 AM   #108
ShockV1.89
Gen Mo'Kai

What an excellent website. Thank you!

Old 10-10-2003, 05:18 AM   #109
SkinWalker
Anthropologist

LFN Staff Member 
Quote:
My view is, is that the reason aids came out was because of sexual sin. If people could control themselves better, it wouldnt get spread.
Undoubtedly, one of the more ignorant things I've seen you write. Luke, you really should pay more attention in Biology class. AIDS is merely the result of HIV, which is a virus. There are many, many, many viruses that affect humans alone. But within animals, there are a significant number of viruses that are quite deadly, the Canine distemper virus, for instance. Can dogs sin?

Even if you consider that viral outbreaks are the punishments of god, then you also have to consider that god is incompetent. There have been many signature diseases of human history (syphilis, tuberculosis, small pox, polio, HIV...) and there have been successful vaccines and innoculations for many.

In addition, it has not been shown that many have been very successful in eliminating any particular demographic (unless you consider the millions of American Indians that perished due to the small pox introduced by the Europeans).

Also, god is obviously a boob if he/she/it targeted sexual sinners with his/her/its HIV. There are an extremely large amount of people who contract the disease without amoral sexual contact (by amoral, I'm referring to christian morals).

Using HIV, et al, as your validation of a god is very ignorant indeed.

Also, why wouldn't we expect some of the thousands (if not millions) of viruses that affect humans to be deleterious by chance? Actually, it isn't chance at all.... it's natural selection. The HIV survives humanity's attempts to curb it because it is more perfect of a virus than others like ebola.

As usual, I've no illusion that you are actually "listening" to what I've written... I'm typing for that fence-sitter

A Hot Cup of Joe - My Blog

Not finding an intellectual challenge in the Swamp? Try the Senate Chambers!

Evolution and How We Know It's Right - Post your thoughts!
Debate Strategies & Tactics - Polish your online debate skills and offer your own advice
SkinWalker is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2003, 05:37 AM   #110
Cosmos Jack

Quote:
Originally posted by SkinWalker
In addition, it has not been shown that many have been very successful in eliminating any particular demographic (unless you consider the millions of American Indians that perished due to the small pox introduced by the Europeans).
Ahh, but you forget. To the Christians Native Americans were heathen sinners that needed to be converted or wiped out.

So in a way you just gave him a good example of his idea. Even though it's still ignorant to think that it's a punishment from a all powerful god. Whatever helps him wake up in the morning.

-QUOTE------
Every cock fights best on his own dunghill.
Cosmos Jack is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2003, 05:48 AM   #111
Homuncul

Quote:
Were the Jews slaughtered by the millions to make an example to others? Face it, there was NO real good reason for them to die, and God (supposing he's omnipotent) could have done something to save these (largely) innocent people. And if he was benevolent, he would have. Heck, if I see a guy sprawled out on the street, bleeding from a head wound, I dont stop and think to myself "Hey, this guy hasn't done anything for me. Screw him," and keep on walking. No, I help him.
It's like you're hating god instead of criticizing it here. But I see it this way: you try to attribute to god some human characteristics, judging him from human perspective, while god's reasoning assuming his omnipotency and omniscience is perhaps something incomprehendable to us. If I wasn't .... I don't know who I am actually.... I would have said that god still has a plan in the long term, and that for all of this there was some kind of sadistic reason (judging with human criteria). I think the Holocaust is not the best example to try to criticize god.
Homuncul is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2003, 06:20 AM   #112
Rainer511

I just realized the problem with this topic. It's far too general. Christianity is a very broad subject. You can talk about resurrection, ethics, or your opinions on God's morality. Heck you could even assume God exists and debate whether or not the apocryphal books should be considered canon! When I think about it CTBD comments on Mormon beliefs was completely valid for debating! There also seems to be many more people refuting Christianity than people defending, which makes it very difficult to address everything that comes up.

Student at the Jedi Academy (www.thejediacademy.net)
My Academy alias is Ranja. I also sometimes go by the alias of tritonic.
Rainer511 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 10-10-2003, 12:48 PM   #113
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
Luke, you really should pay more attention in Biology class.
Next semester
(beginning of feburary)
Quote:
There also seems to be many more people refuting Christianity than people defending, which makes it very difficult to address everything that comes up.
Its always been like that... lol, ive gone to one thread where there was no christians at all... arguing about (creationism vs. evolution?)

BTW, CTBD isnt the point of the debate to convince the other side your right. If not, then we might as well quit, because we will just debate forever, with no reason. So you complaining that im trying to convince makes no sense.

Quote:
Even if you consider that viral outbreaks are the punishments of god, then you also have to consider that god is incompetent. There have been many signature diseases of human history (syphilis, tuberculosis, small pox, polio, HIV...) and there have been successful vaccines and innoculations for many.
Also, god is obviously a boob if he/she/it targeted sexual sinners with his/her/its HIV. There are an extremely large amount of people who contract the disease without amoral sexual contact (by amoral, I'm referring to christian morals).
Using HIV, et al, as your validation of a god is very ignorant indeed.
Also, why wouldn't we expect some of the thousands (if not millions) of viruses that affect humans to be deleterious by chance? Actually, it isn't chance at all.... it's natural selection. The HIV survives humanity's attempts to curb it because it is more perfect of a virus than others like ebola.
Ok, so a virus just pops out of no where, and is only spread through sex, and its actually awesome. Every 24 hrs (maybe 12) it changes... or something (been a few years since ive checked out aids) So its practically impossible to make a vaccine. True, people have made vaccines. Who knows why? I didnt say God caused all diseases. Yeah, people can be raped, or whatever, and its not there fault. Who knows what reason God has for that?

Last edited by SkinWalker; 10-10-2003 at 05:22 PM.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:02 PM   #114
weiderudare
Veteran

Quote:
youve read the thread right? At least read the last few comments. Anyways, chapter 3 line 8 of what? I looked in genesis, and its not what you said?
I was meaning that nowhere in the Bible it says why God created the world. I have read the bible 2 times, I mean, read it, thought about what it says and means. And after that, I still don't belive in God.

Quote:
Also, when have 35 million people just simply died?
I know that 35 million people haven't died in like a second. But im talking about a over a 30 year period. I was meaning that half of the population in Europe died in the plauge. Thats alot.

Quote:

A lot of what you asked was what can God do for me (or what isnt he doing for me/us) I take it you read "chapter 3 line 8 (whatever that is) but why havnt you read the rest, or have you? And even more importantly did you understand it? Did you really read it, or just look for contradictions and holes?
I have read it, 2 times, Have you? I think that God is a mean God, who only does that he feels to do

Quote:
The thing is, we dont do anything for him. If we started then maybe something would get done. Are we worthy to get saved from this world? No.
What shall we do?
Kill some jews? We have done that, didn't work
Worship him? We have done that for about 2000 year, didn't work
Kill some moslems or other people? Didn't work

So, what should we do? I mean, the bible says he created us, so he have to have a plan, right?

You can't say that civilization isn't in progress, because in every war, they kill you in a new way
Old 10-10-2003, 01:09 PM   #115
vegietto

yeah god doesn't cause all diseases, i mean some of them people bring it on themselves like girls when they act like they our going to give it to a guy then stop guys can't just stop i mean it is hard for us i can but not most guys i mean if the gurls is one of them that always gived it up or if the guys is drunk then it is going to happened, but god doesn't cause them all i mean and i don't why he lets it happened maybe it is to teach the person a lesson for their sins.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:20 PM   #116
weiderudare
Veteran

But isn't God supposed to be allmighty?
So, when you say that God hasn't created all the diseases, then he hasn't complete power. And that would probably ruin the whole idea of God.

Old 10-10-2003, 01:23 PM   #117
vegietto

that doesn't mean he has all powers but maybe he gived them diseases for punishment fo all the sins they have done in their life that is what i think ok

Old 10-10-2003, 01:25 PM   #118
weiderudare
Veteran

But what about the children that gets sick?
What evil things have they done?
If the have evil parents, why are the kids punished?
do the children have to suffer because of their parents mistake?

Old 10-10-2003, 01:27 PM   #119
shukrallah
White Dragon

Quote:
I was meaning that nowhere in the Bible it says why God created the world. I have read the bible 2 times, I mean, read it, thought about what it says and means. And after that, I still don't belive in God.
Ok.

Quote:
I know that 35 million people haven't died in like a second. But im talking about a over a 30 year period. I was meaning that half of the population in Europe died in the plauge. Thats alot.

So its God's fault right?

Quote:
I have read it, 2 times, Have you? I think that God is a mean God, who only does that he feels to do
I might have.. ive read all through once. Now i just skip around.
Ive been skipping around for about a year, so i probably have read most of it again. Some things i have read over and over again.

Quote:
What shall we do?
Kill some jews? We have done that, didn't work
Worship him? We have done that for about 2000 year, didn't work
Kill some moslems or other people? Didn't work

So, what should we do? I mean, the bible says he created us, so he have to have a plan, right?

True he has a plan for us. But you have the wrong understanding of christianity. We dont kill people.... its happend. But then again, many "christians" have. My point is, you could call yourself a christian, and kill someone, but your not christian. But even so, the media will make it out that a christian has done this or that.... even though it wasnt a christian.
Old 10-10-2003, 01:30 PM   #120
vegietto

yeah their parents bring it on the kids but it is true

Last edited by vegietto; 10-10-2003 at 01:40 PM.
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Community > Senate Chambers > Christianity