lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: LightWave modelling
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-18-2003, 10:56 PM   #1
KissMyGrits
Rookie

LightWave modelling

Somebody HAS to model in LightWave. I can't be the only one. If anybody here has experience with modelling for JKA in LW please let me know. For that matter if there's a LW thread I missed feel free to direct me to it.
KissMyGrits is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-19-2003, 02:39 AM   #2
Psyk0Sith
3D Tech Support

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
You can model in any 3d software...but in the end you will need 3D max 4.0+ to rig and export the mesh.

Psyk0Sith is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2003, 12:18 AM   #3
Emon
Strong Bad's Henchman

Not if the other software can export to dotXSI.

Clarionet, n. An instrument of torture operated by a person with cotton in his ears. There are two instruments that are worse than a clarionet -- two clarionets.
Emon is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-20-2003, 05:20 PM   #4
Psyk0Sith
3D Tech Support

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Of course and you could use softimage XSI too...as long as the skin modifier is similar.

Most of the models out there were exported with max 4.x+ so i guess you'll have better chances using that. Feel free to experiment.

Old 11-22-2003, 07:42 PM   #5
jodonnell
Rookie

Lightwave modeller here...

Unfortunately, player models with Lightwave seem like a nightmare - the exporting between LW and either MS3D or 3DS causes all kinds of scale mismatches. Also, all the sample files available are in 3DS format. On top of that, I don't think weights assigned in Modeller export out to 3DS files (that is, if you could even find the right skeletal structure.) It looks like making custom player models will be made more difficult if you want to use LW.

However, you can make custom weapons with LW quite easily. I've made several so far. If you need help on using LW and MS3D for weapons, PM me and I'll help you out.

Cheers,

James
jodonnell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-23-2003, 03:22 AM   #6
KissMyGrits
Rookie

Well all I'm really worried about is the model itself. If I can do the modelling in LW as one whole object then just bring it into 3ds max and break it up, that should be fine...
KissMyGrits is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-30-2003, 04:13 AM   #7
Andy867
McCan Caoma

I think monsoontide does most of his modelling in Lightwave.

Shut yo face before I punch you in the mouth, break your teeth and call you Snaggle-tooth.
Andy867 is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-02-2003, 04:31 PM   #8
jodonnell
Rookie

Well, you CAN do all of your modelling in Lightwave. However, scale differences and such will mean a lot of pain and suffering when importing to 3DS. If you're brave (and possibly masochistic :P) you certainly can try though. I'd suggest starting with a simple <100 poly character to get a handle on tags and suhc, though; before you try a real project.

Cheers,

James
jodonnell is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2003, 04:39 PM   #9
tarafudge

Gmax Is Also an Alternative

Hey guys with the proper plugins gmax works just as good as 3ds max. This way you don't need to pay all that money for alot of features you won't even use.

I got a model comming out soon, its gonna blow away jk3files.com.

"With every rise, there is a fall."
tarafudge is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 12-13-2003, 08:17 PM   #10
Psyk0Sith
3D Tech Support

Veteran Modder Helpful! 
Well its about time.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Editing Central > JA Modeling > LightWave modelling