Originally posted by Celladur
Hi all, I'm new to this forum and am trying to set up a JA server for my friends and me, unfortunately I have no experience in such things and am lost.
I have tried to create a server but I dont know how to set it up over the net, also I'm not sure if the code is correct, here is the code. Could somebody please tell me if the code is correct.
// Server Config
seta sv_hostname "The Shadow Network's dedicated JA server"
//seta g_motd "woot"
//rconpassword "a clever password"
// 0 = FFA
// 3 = DUEL one on one tournament
// 4 = POWER DUEL
// 6 = TEAM DEATHMATCH
// 7 = SIEGE
// 8 = CTF
set g_gametype 7
seta sv_maxclients 16
seta g_inactivity 0
set g_allowvote 1
set timelimit 20
set g_autoMapCycle 1
set g_dismember 100
Will somebody please tell me if that is correct.
I am using the 1.1 version of JA and this is the first time I have ever set up a server.
1. You are running a Siege server. Siege servers use more CPU power than other servers. You shouldn't try to play on the same computer that is running the Siege server.
2. You have sv_maxclients 16 and sv_maxrate 10000. That means you will need server upload bandwidth of 16 x 10000 x 8 = 1,280kbs. Do you have that much bandwidth? Remember, most residential DSL or Cable modem lines have only 256kbs or 512kbs upload bandwidth. You should reduce sv_maxclients and sv_maxrate to suit your upload bandwidth.
3. You have g_forceregentime 1 (200x faster than normal) but have g_maxForceRank only 3 (7 is Jedi Master, 6 is Jedi Knight). People will have few (I think 40) Force points to use, but Force regeneration is super-fast, which encourages lightning and kata spamming. Is that what you wanted?
4. You listed all 3 maps, which means the server will start the 1st one, then immediately switch to the second, then immediately switch to the third. What you want is
seta g_gametype "7"
seta g_autoMapCycle "1"
The server will then start a Siege game on mp/siege_korriban and cycle through all 3 siege_maps.
5. If you want your server to be visible in the ingame browser, the All Seeing Eye, Qtracker, and Gamespy, you need to send "heartbeats" to their master servers:
seta sv_master1 "masterjk3.ravensoft.com"
seta sv_master2 "master.qtracker.com"
seta sv_master3 "126.96.36.199"
seta sv_master4 "188.8.131.52"
seta sv_master5 "clanservers.net"
seta sv_master6 "master0.gamespy.com"