lfnetwork.com mark read register faq members calendar

Thread: Need help with customization!!!
Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Old 11-28-2003, 12:21 PM   #1
Lince
Rookie

Need help with customization!!!

Could you guys help me since I have 0 experience in this thing?

I want to know how to mess around with the pk3 files, just basic stuff, like changing the playermodel, some character stats, these kind of things.

How do I edit those files, where to edit, etc.

Thanks in advance.

"I AM IRON MAN"
Lince is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2003, 12:37 PM   #2
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

First of all, make a copy of your GameData folder (Copy of GameData) and leave your original GameData files unaltered, or else you won't be able to enter Pure servers.

Working with the files in your Copy of GameData folder, you can use WinZip to open and extract the files in the assets?.pk3 files. Most configuration files are simple text files that can be edited with Wordpad. Then Freshen the .pk3 files with WinZip and use the jamp.exe and jasp.exe programs in Copy of GameData to play the game and see the results.

Use your original installation when you go online.

Amidala from Chop Shop is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2003, 02:38 PM   #3
Kengo

Some tutorials for SP modding:

http://www.geocities.com/kengomaps/tutorials.html

------------------------------------------------
www.map-review.com
Kengo is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-28-2003, 06:36 PM   #4
Lince
Rookie

"Thnak you, sirs."

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-28-2003, 08:10 PM   #5
Lince
Rookie

Sorry people, I really SUCK at this...

I added assets0.pk3 to a zip file, but I still can't find the NPC files.

All I get when I open it with WordPad is a lot of codes, like squares and s***, you know?

If anyone can explain this better to me, how to edit the NPC files, I would appreciate it.

Thanks.

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-28-2003, 09:16 PM   #6
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Don't Add it to a zip file, Open the pk3 file with WinZip. A pk3 file is just a compressed file holding one or more (or hundreds) of other files. Many of the files inside the pk3 are text files that can be edited with Wordpad, but many other files are graphics (jpg) or sound (mp3) files.

Old 11-28-2003, 10:29 PM   #7
Lince
Rookie

Thanks a lot, that really cleared things up.

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-29-2003, 12:33 AM   #8
Lince
Rookie

Hum... when I try to change an NPC file and save the changes to it, Winzip creates a new file, wich is the one I edited, but it loses its "path".

So, for example:
I want to edit stormtrooper.npc (its path is ext_data, or something like that)

I edit it, a new stormtrooper.npc file is created, but with no path, wich makes it impossible to spawn in the game.
How do I get around this?

Argh, this is hard

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-29-2003, 04:05 AM   #9
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

WinZip will preserve the directory structure of a file within the zip or pk3. When you extract a file to work on it, you must preserve the same directory structure, then drag the whole directory back into the pk3 file.

For instance, say you open assets1.pk3 with WinZip to work on the stormtrooper.npc file. If you look on the far right side of the WinZip window you'll see Path ext_data\npcs\. That means stormtrooper.npc is inside a folder named npcs that is inside another folder named ext_data. So when you extract that file, say to your Desktop, you won't get a file, you'll get a folder named ext_data. Open that folder and the npcs folder will be inside. Open that folder and stormtrooper.npc is inside.

Do whatever with stormtrooper.npc using Wordpad. Then save and close the file. Then close the npcs folder and the ext_data folder. Now drag the ext_data folder into the WinZip window. It will give you a dialog box. Select Freshen files. It will then update stormtrooper.npc with your newer file, while preserving the directory structure because you kept the file in it's folder(s). See, it's simple!

Now again, I hope you are doing this with copies of your pk3 files, not the originals. Don't alter the originals.

Old 11-29-2003, 01:58 PM   #10
Lince
Rookie

I'll try it out.

Thanks for your patience!

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-29-2003, 02:36 PM   #11
Lince
Rookie

I'm having problems as to the saving part.

See, when I extract the file and edit it with WordPad, it is not as simple as "Saving". I get an "acess denied" message.

I tried copiyng the file, editing it (the new), deleting the old one and renaming the new file with the name of the old, then transfering it to the WinZip window. Then I selected "freshen files", but it didn't work

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-29-2003, 09:15 PM   #12
Lince
Rookie

"BUMP, I am your father!"

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-29-2003, 09:23 PM   #13
Chuahtemoc

Cool Guy

Hey lince, try not to double post. here, you triple posted. a double post is when you post twice in a row without anyone else's posts in between. Use the Edit function in the bottom right corner of your post to add info and things you forgot to type. Then. if you did double post, you can edit out the second post and apologize so the mods don't b!tch slap you lol just trying to be nice

YORIMOTO says SUMiSUMi!!!

"When in the Course of human events, it becomes necessary for one people to dissolve the political bands which have connected them with another, and to assume among the powers of the earth, the separate and equal station to which the Laws of Nature and of Nature's God entitle them, a decent respect to the opinions of mankind requires that they should declare the causes which impel them to the separation." - Thomas Jefferson

"It is vain, sir, to extenuate the matter. Gentlemen may cry, peace, peace; but there is no peace. The war is actually begun! The next gale that sweeps from the north will bring to our ears the clash of resounding arms! Our brethren are already in the field! Why stand we here idle? What is it that gentlemen wish? What would they have? Is life so dear or peace so sweet as to be purchased at the price of chains and slavery?

Forbid it, Almighty God -- I know not what course others may take; but as for me -- give me liberty or give me death!" - Patrick Henry

3x50p 11.21.03
Chuahtemoc is offline   you may: quote & reply,
Old 11-29-2003, 09:25 PM   #14
Lince
Rookie

OK, thanks

Sorry bout the triplet

"I AM IRON MAN"
Old 11-30-2003, 01:24 AM   #15
Amidala from Chop Shop
Politically-correct jerk

Quote:
Originally posted by Lince
I'm having problems as to the saving part.

See, when I extract the file and edit it with WordPad, it is not as simple as "Saving". I get an "acess denied" message.

I tried copiyng the file, editing it (the new), deleting the old one and renaming the new file with the name of the old, then transfering it to the WinZip window. Then I selected "freshen files", but it didn't work
Freshen when you are updating a file with the same name with a newer one. You don't need to delete the older version. But if you did for some reason, use Add instead of Freshen.

Post a new thread. Add a reply to this thread. Indicate all threads in this forum as read. Subscribe to this forum. RSS feed: this forum RSS feed: all forums
Go Back   LucasForums > Network > JediKnight Series > Game Discussion > Jedi Academy > Need help with customization!!!